Chapter 1

Countryside Life

“Halmeoni~” Jiyeon excitedly called for the old lady that was busy watering plants in front of the house.

 

The old lady turn her face around as she heard someone calling for her. She frowned a bit trying to recognize the young girl in front of her.

 

Jiyeon could sense the situation, so she rushed to hug the old lady while shouting excitedly, “It’s me! Jiyeon!”

 

“Jiyeonnie? Aigoo, you grown up a lot. Your mother told me last week you will come but I don’t expect that you will really come” said Jiyeon’s grandmother as she look at Jiyeon from head to toe after the young girl broke the tight hug from her. Jiyeon pouted while listening to her grandmother’s words.

 

“Of course I will come. I miss you a lot” Jiyeon feels a little bit hurt as her grandmother didn’t really expect her to come.

 

“You miss me or someone else?” The old lady gave a naughty smile to Jiyeon.

 

“Huh?” Someone else? Who?

 

“Come..let’s go inside. It’s quite cold out here” Jiyeon’s grandmother lead Jiyeon to enter the house.

 

Jiyeon just follow her grandmother from behind while observing the house. It’s just a simple traditional house. A lot smaller compared to her house at Seoul but seemed like this place bring so much comfort to her.

 

While Jiyeon still lost in her own thought, she feels someone staring at her from her left. Jiyeon look at her left and see a girl around her age looking at her or much more like staring at her with wide smile. Jiyeon look back at that girl with confused look.

 

“Are you Jiyeon?” That girl ask. Jiyeon startled a bit with that question. She know me? What a soft voice you got there young lady. I barely can hear you.

 

At that time, Jiyeon’s grandmother come out from the kitchen. “Hyomin ah, bring Jiyeon to your room. You remember her right” The old lady give a wink to Hyomin before going back to the kitchen. “I need to prepare food. Jiyeonnie, take a rest. You must be tired from a long journey” Jiyeon’s grandmother mumbles on her way to the kitchen.

 

“Come with me” Hyomin took Jiyeon’s hand with a big smile on her face. She led Jiyeon to enter their bedroom. Jiyeon obediently follow her from behind.

 

Did I know her? Who is this Hyomin? Jiyeon try hard to remember but she failed to do so. There are something familiar about this Hyomin. She can feel it but what is it?

 

Jiyeon entered the bedroom with Hyomin. She observed the whole room. Everything are in the neat order. Her eyes fall at the big teddy bear resting comfortably on folded traditional mat. Unknowingly, she put down her backpack and went to put up the teddy bear.

 

“You gave that to me” as Hyomin said that, Jiyeon look at her with confuse look. Me? When?

 

“I can see that you don’t remember me..” Hyomin pouted.

 

“S-sorry” Jiyeon stuttered as she look at Hyomin’s expression. What a cutie.

 

“It’s okay” Hyomin said while looking straight into Jiyeon’s eyes. 

 

Jiyeon look away as she can feel capillaries inside both of her cheeks start to burst uncontrollably. Arghh, am I blushing? What wrong with me?

 

“Hmm..is it okay for you to share the same room with me?” Hyomin start to unfold the mat. She prepare the mat for Jiyeon to rest. She look at Jiyeon as that girl didn’t answer her.

 

“Jiyeon ah”

 

“Err..umm..it’s okay. I- I don’t mind” Arghh!! Stop it Jiyeon. Why are you stuttering?

 

“Here, get some rest” Hyomin patted the mat signalling Jiyeon to come there. Jiyeon nodded and then she lie down with the teddy bear still in her hug.

 

Hyomin chuckled a bit with Jiyeon’s action. “You are so cute” 

 

With that compliment, once again Jiyeon feel the capillaries bursting inside her cheek.

 

“I am going to help halmeoni with cooking. If you need some help, don’t hesitate to tell me” Hyomin gave a wink to Jiyeon before leave to the kitchen.

 

Jiyeon left bewildered by herself at the room. She feel so confused with herself. Why she feel so shy in front of Hyomin? Who is that attractive girl?

 

As she lost in her deep thought, unknowingly she pressed her nose on the teddy bear in her hug. For a few seconds, she feel something jumping in her heart.

 

OMG! This scent are seriously so familiar. Why I feel so nervous out of sudden.

 

Jiyeon look at the stuff bear with confuse look. “What a nice scent you got there, Teddy”

 

She brought the stuff bear closer to her once again and pressed her nose against it. Unknowingly, she fell asleep in that position.

 

...

 

Hyomin went back to her bedroom after she done with helping grandmother with cooking. She smile at the sight of Jiyeon hugging her minyeon. She gave that name to the teddy bear to remember the real owner of that bear.

 

Jiyeon gave minyeon to her as a goodbye gift. Jiyeon just 5 years old at that time. Hyomin didn’t blame Jiyeon for forgetting her as that kid is only 5 when they last meet.

 

Hyomin walk closer to Jiyeon and sit beside that sleeping girl.

 

“Hey, how could you forget me kiddo. You like me so much back then” Hyomin’s hand went down to Jiyeon’s face and caressed that face softly.

 

Jiyeon slowly open her eyes with the sudden touch on her cheek.

 

“Hyomin-ssi” Jiyeon mumble softly with half-sleep tone.

 

“Wake up. Let’s eat. You must be hungry” Hyomin smile widely to Jiyeon and help that sleepy girl to get up.

 

“Thanks” Jiyeon smile shyly to Hyomin. She get up with the help of Hyomin and they went to kitchen together.

 

Jiyeon ate her dinner happily as she is really hungry at that time. Her grandmother talk non-stop telling her about her past moments living here with her while she was a kid.

 

“You really like Hyomin back then”

 

 Jiyeon almost choked her food as she heard her grandmother said that. She reached for a glass of water and gulp down the water hastily.

 

“What?” Jiyeon finally manage to ask. She peek at Hyomin. That girl just laugh silently looking at her.

 

Jiyeon’s grandmother chuckled a bit looking at Jiyeon’s action. She then continue, “I still remember you always walk around in your sleep. Sniffing non-stop in your sleep. That habit of yours stop when Hyomin start to live with us. Instead of sniffing around, you just sniff at her all night long. Since that is the only way to stop you walking in your sleep, then we just put you two sleep together”

 

Jiyeon’s grandmother smile at the confuse Jiyeon. Jiyeon unconsciously staring at Hyomin while listening to her grandmother.

 

Her grandmother then continue again with her stories, “You love to kiss her too. There’s no part of her face that you didn’t kissed. What a naughty kid”

 

Jiyeon can feel her jaw dropped at the moment she heard that. That. Was. Shocking.

 

Jiyeon stare at Hyomin’s face unconsciously try to imagine her own past act. OMG!! Seriously!!

 

Jiyeon suddenly feel dizzy. She blushed hard. She look at her grandmother that still laughing at her. “Halmeoni~~” Jiyeon pouted, begging her grandmother to stop.

 

“It’s true” her grandmother stop laughing and put on serious face. “By the way, did you still walk in your sleep?”

 

Jiyeon nodded shyly. Yes, that’s true. She often ended up waking up at the different places but it’s not happened everyday. It just happened once in a while. About the sniffing things, she’s not sure about that.

 

After finished with dinner, Jiyeon goes back to the bedroom while Hyomin washed the dishes at kitchen. So now Jiyeon are all alone at the bedroom.

 

Jiyeon approached the desk that placed Hyomin’s stuff. Her eyes fall on photo album that place neatly at the table.

 

Jiyeon sat at the chair and reached out for the photo album. To her surprise, that photo album are full with her childhood photos. She smile widely looking at her own childhood photo. I’m quite cute back then..hehe

 

Jiyeon suddenly froze when she look at a photo of her kissing Hyomin. Almost all of her photos with Hyomin at the next pages are kissing scene. She’s just a baby, 5 years old she guess but...

 

Then there is it, the next photo, she kiss her on her lips. 

 

Jiyeon froze completely. She stare at the photo without blinking. She hold her breath. Is she kiss maniac? She doesn’t even kiss anyone while growing up but there she is, 5 years old version, kissing that Hyomin like there is no tomorrow. Does she feel anything at that time? Who teach her that?

 

Jiyeon almost fall from the chair when suddenly she feel someone touch her shoulder. She look at her back and her eyes caught Hyomin standing right behind her. She rush desperately to flip close the photo album in front of her.

 

Hyomin laugh seeing Jiyeon’s action “Hey, why you look like you see a ghost” she said while peeking at the photo album that Jiyeon try to hide.

 

Jiyeon sit still hiding her blushing face. Hyomin move closer to Jiyeon and gave her a smile. Jiyeon could feel her heart beating crazily at that moment. At this point, she might end up fainting hopelessly in front of Hyomin.

 

Hyomin smile widely looking at Jiyeon’s face while Jiyeon try hard to avoid making eyes contact with Hyomin.

 

“W-what?” Jiyeon stuttering while looking away.

 

“Nothing” Hyomin said with her smile became wider. Her right hand reach for the photo album and open it in front of Jiyeon.

 

Jiyeon watched Hyomin's action nervously. Hyomin smile as she look at the photos inside that photo album.

 

“You are so cute” Hyomin said as she close the photo album and put it back at the table. Jiyeon unknowingly smile but then as she snap back to reality, she quickly hide her smile.

 

Hyomin look straight into Jiyeon’s eyes. That girl in front of her look so nervous that make she wonder why.

 

“Go take a shower first” Hyomin said as she walk away from Jiyeon and take a clean towel for Jiyeon.

 

“You bring clothes right?” Jiyeon nodded and take the towel that Hyomin lend to her.

 

After Jiyeon finished showering, Hyomin went to the bathroom. While waiting for Hyomin, Jiyeon play with her phone. Not long after that, Hyomin come back from bathroom. Jiyeon look away as Hyomin wearing clothes in front of her.

 

Jiyeon lie down on the mat that she shared with Hyomin and try to close her eyes. She can’t fall asleep. She open her eyes and gasp loudly as she look at Hyomin staring at her. Hyomin let out a chuckle looking at Jiyeon’s shock face.

 

“You cute kid. Why you always looking at me like that” Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose. 

 

Jiyeon smiled at her. Even after Hyomin move her hand, the scent from Hyomin’s touch still lingering around her nose.

 

Silent took over as they look into each other eyes.

 

Jiyeon gather the courage to ask. “Hyomin-ssi?”

 

Hyomin raise her eyebrow. “Just call me Hyomin or unnie”

 

“Unnie? How old are you?” Jiyeon ask.

 

“I’m 4 years older than you” Hyomin smile at Jiyeon shock face. Her hand reach for Jiyeon’s and hold them tightly. She miss this kid so much.

 

Jiyeon almost can’t breath because of Hyomin sudden touch but she try hard to hide her nervousness. She never stay this close with any other person before.

 

“Who are you to me?” Jiyeon ask while looking at Hyomin’s face.

 

Hyomin pause for a while before start answering. “We first met when I was 9 years old. That is when your grandmother take me to live with her after my parents died on car accident”

 

Hyomin pause again and leave a deep sigh before she could continue “I’m feeling so lost at that time. Secretly crying every night because I don’t want to make halmeoni worried about me. Then, this one night while I’m crying hard, a little girl came wandering around my room and goes straight into my arm, hugging me tightly. That is the first time I feel comfort since my parents passed away”

 

Hyomin look at Jiyeon’s eyes and move closer to Jiyeon. “That kid is you. You sleepwalker kid” Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose once again.

 

Jiyeon blushed again. Even her capillaries can’t stand Hyomin’s touch.

 

“Did I really kiss you?” Jiyeon ask with low voice as she feel embarrass to ask that question.

 

“Yes..a lot” Hyomin grinned at Jiyeon. “I even know the reason behind that kiss”

 

“What?” Jiyeon ask bewildered. Her eyes suddenly get bigger as she was really curious.

 

Hyomin look at her and smile. “I think you really pity me back then that make you ask around how to stop someone from being sad. This one day, you ask halmeoni and she answered you, give that person lot of love. You still don’t understand, then you ask what is love. At that time, a naughty kid next door answer you as he overheard your question. He said love is kiss. Start from that day, you always kiss me”

 

Jiyeon unknowingly laugh at her old self. What a funny story. Hyomin laugh along.

 

“How did you know about that?” Jiyeon’s ask after she stop laughing.

 

“I was there and you are loud kid back then that the whole village can hear you every time you start to open your mouth” Hyomin once again reach for Jiyeon’s nose to pinch them  but this time Jiyeon caught her hand and hold it placing it in front of her nose. Nice scent.

 

Hyomin just let Jiyeon playing with her hand. “Jiyeon, you know, it’s really hard for me when you leave”

 

Jiyeon froze for a while. She look at Hyomin and that is when she noticed Hyomin’s sad expression. She just keep silent allowing Hyomin to continue with what she want to told her.

 

“You cry so much at that time. It break my heart to see a happy kid like you crying all day after you know you will leave.” Hyomin sigh before continue.

 

“You gave me this minyeon as a goodbye gift. It originally is yours” Hyomin point to the big teddy bear beside her.

 

“I named it minyeon. Hyomin Jiyeon” Hyomin look straight into Jiyeon’s eyes. “Thank you for coming back. I really want to repay your kindness. Just tell me what can I do for you, I will do it if I can”

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t remember anything” Jiyeon whispers to Hyomin. She start to feel guilty.

 

“You don’t have to” Hyomin smile at  Jiyeon and pull that girl into her arm and hug that girl tightly.

 

Jiyeon startled at first but Hyomin’s hug feel so warm that she feel so comfortable in that position.

 

“You know, you really have a nice scent” Jiyeon told Hyomin as she burried her face in Hyomin’s arm.

 

“You told me that a lot back then”

 

The night goes deeper and both of them falling asleep in that position.