Define 3

Defining Kai

Define 3: Aya Han

 

 

Aya Han was not having a good morning. She had completely overslept and had been tardy that morning for her first period which was General Mathematics which because Professor Choi Siwon did not take tardiness well. Which by resulted to a detention with two other boys at four o’clock.

 

On her second period, Chemistry, she completely had forgotten to study for the long exam. She was a total goner in that area and because she didn’t scan her notes and books last night, she had a failing score giving her the equivalent of a failing grade.

 

On her third and last period in the morning, she had made a fool out of herself in front of the whole class during Physical Education by almost drowning herself in the six feet pool. She was sent to the clinic quickly and restored by the cutest school doctor ever, Doctor Kim Minseok. He was a baby-faced doctor with a bbuing-bubuing that could revive a dying patient.

 

She had been awake for thirty minutes now and was given lunch by the resident doctor but she was told to stay for a few more hours. Aya hoped that the ‘few more hours’ he meant was until five o’clock so she could skip Professor Choi’s detention. She did not want to write ‘I’m sorry that I am late, I will not do it again next time’ on the black board repeatedly with those two boys, Mark and Jackson.

 

It wasn’t as if she didn’t like the clinic. She appreciated it, really. It was quiet, calming and cool. Something of those that Aya Han failed to have for days now. She was originally an introvert. All those mess that had happened for the past few days shook her system so hard. She didn’t really take surprise, anger, dread, happiness, shock and fear all at the same time. She was not the one to deal with many emotions. And Evil-Aya was mocking her so much since that night.

 

‘You just spent the night out with Kai’, Evil-Aya sing-sang. The sickeningly teasing voice buzzed her ears, her voice coming in louder than it usually is. Aya opened her eyes to see the white ceiling of the clinic, ‘I spent just three hours with him.’ Real-Aya shot at her.

 

‘Did you have fun with him, love?’ Evil-Aya mocked, crossing her arms in the very smug way. The mental image was building irritation to the real-Aya. ‘Did he kiss you? No? Well, isn’t that just…sad?’

 

“Shut up,” Aya growled, shutting Evil-Aya out of the picture.

 

Yes, how could she forget the time she spent with Kai. Kai whom everyone idolizes and fantasized, spent three hours with her goofing around. Well, it was her who mainly goofed around. He spent the hours getting all mysterious and cocky.

 

Also, she did not really get the picture of that night as an ‘improvisation’.

 

Well, at least she got to know him a little and had fun. It’s been years since the last time she loosen up herself like that. It was really a while since she had a company with someone that long. With all that happened, she never thought she’d be able to do such again. ‘Well, it’s time to move on, sweetheart. They are long gone, you know.’ Evil-Aya said with the less haughtiness than her normal voice.

 

“I know,” Aya sighed, closing her eyes. “You don’t have to remind me.” She weakly said.

 

“Is there something wrong, Aya-ssi?”

 

Well, that was the doctor. Aya shot her eyes open and sat up right. She smiled at the concerned doctor. Now, she must’ve looked crazy in front of Doctor Kim Minseok. She cursed Evil-Aya to next week. If Aya was a witch of the Harry Potter series right now, she would have ‘Avada Kadevra’ that villain inside of her long ago. “None at all, Doctor Kim. I’m quite fine, actually.” She forced a smile to the doctor.

 

The doctor gave her a doubtful look. “Were you talking to someone then?”

 

Great, she thought exasperatedly. Aya shook her head. “Nope. I’m just mumbling some lyrics. Don’t mind me.”

 

The doctor finally seemed to be convinced by this. He nodded and offered the girl a sweet smile. Aya almost melted but she was half-coherent so she merely returned the smile. “If you need anything, I’m just around the corner, okay?” he said.

 

Aya nodded. “Neh. Kamsahamida.” She bowed slightly.

 

The doctor nodded, gave her a smile and returned to his station. Aya sighed in relief, rubbing her temple for a moment. Her eyes met her knapsack, suddenly her thoughts drifted to her journal. She had officially met Kai yesterday but she didn’t know what to write. Her thoughts about their encounter last night was all messed up. She witnessed a different side of him last night. She witnessed normalcy and emotions from him. Something she believed that he was not capable of. But still, that barrier in those deep eyes was still there.

 

Without a second thought, she picked up her knapsack from the chair next to her and rummaged for her dark blue journal. When she found it, she fished it out and slid out the pen from the spiral loops. She flipped the pages to a clean sheet and wrote once again.

 

‘Just who are you really?’

 

 

 

 

Aya was released at exactly three-thirty in the afternoon which because she still had to serve detention. Surely, Professor Choi could give her a slip since she did almost lose her life today. Before Doctor Kim Minseok could give her the exit slip though, he called out her attention.

 

“Please take care of yourself, Aya-ssi.” The doctor said gently. “You almost drowned today.”

 

Aya looked down nodding. “Neh doctor-nim. I will try my best to look out for myself next time.”

 

“Are you really fine, Aya-ssi?”

 

She looked up to the doctor. His face contorted to a worry. His eyes were filled with warmth of genuine care and concern. She was confused though. Why was he? She was perfectly fine the last time she remembered. Doctor Kim Minseok already fixed her. What’s more?

 

Aya, too tired to say anything, nodded with finality. She bowed in a sign of farewell, “Thank you for today, Doctor.”

 

“You are welcome,” Doctor Kim Minseok smiled gently. “Eat a lot, okay?”

 

She broke to a small giggle and nodded. “Neh.”

 

She bowed once again and turned to the exit to leave. But, Doctor Kim Minseok beat her to it again.

 

“You don’t have to suppress the memories and the pain, Aya-ssi.” The doctor said, turning to her way. Aya froze on her spot. She did not bother to turn around and face the doctor. Her face suddenly became dark, a black aura coating her once again. She suddenly felt numb.

 

She felt cold.

 

“You can always cry it out. You can talk to me too. Hiding everything is not good.”

 

“I know,” Aya quickly said. A little too cold and sharp for her liking. She wouldn’t and didn’t care if it was too impolite.

 

 “My door is always open, Aya-ssi.”

 

Aya didn’t reply to that and continued to walk away. She didn’t know where nor did she care. She probably returned to her abandoned classroom or went home. All she knew was, she didn’t plan to meet Kai today. She just felt so tired today. Emotionally and physically.

 

She just wanted to go home. But, she didn’t know where it was.

 

What is home anyway?

 

 

 

 

Doctor Kim Minseok was always worried. Whether it was about himself, his friends, students, family or his patients; he was always worried about the lot. It was one of the reasons why he chose to be a doctor. He cared for himself and above all, he cared for the people around him. Even if it was someone he hated. He cared for their wellbeing.

 

And Aya Han was his patient and he cared for her. Thus, he was worried and right now, he was feeling dread.

 

He was currently in the EXOTIC Café’ having a coffee with his colleague, Kim Joonmyeon. Minseok was currently stating his worries to him.

 

“She’s unstable, Joonmyeon. She hardly cared that she almost died today.”

 

Joonmyeon nodded, sipping on his green tea with a dark cloud looming over his face. “I know. She’s so broken. She thinks that her cover is still not blown up. She always wears this kind of reserved thing on her face like she’s always in a masquerade. It’s so heartbreaking.” He sighed. “I sound so ing gay.” He ran his fingers through his hair.

 

Minseok shook his head. “No, you’re being compassionate. There’s a huge difference between the two.” Then, the older frowned. “Do you even know what you’re doing, Joonmyeon?”

 

“Of course,” he nodded indifferently. Then there was a pause, “I hope.”

 

Minseok could only sigh in response.

 

 

 

 

‘Mum, you couldn’t just pull me away from my friends like that!’ Aya shrieked in annoyance.  From the passenger, her mother snorted for a response. Aya groaned in defeat and sunk in her seat on the back of the car. She glared at her ten-year old brother beside her whom gave her an innocent look. “You were with them with this, weren’t you?” she demanded. The boy smiled innocently, “Sister, you know I love you, I would never do such to you.” He coolly said. She sent daggers at him, “You. Are. So Dead.” She emphasized every word to stress out how angry she was.  

 

Aya turned to his father who driving while humming as if he was trying to come himself clean. “Dad, this is supposed to be illegal to teenagers.” She said, crossing her arms. “This is kidnapping you know! I could file a complaint against all of you!”

 

Her Dad looked at her from the rear view mirror. “Sweetheart, it’s been years since we had our family outing. We don’t get opportunities like this.” Dad grimaced. “Your Mum ought to be the one saying these sorts of twisted lines.”

 

Her Mum rolled her eyes. “You know I’m not that kind of mother.” She turned around and gave Aya a pointed look. “Get over it, kid.”

 

Her little brother laughed at Aya’s misery. Aya stuck her tongue out to her Mother whilst the Mother gave her a smug smile. Mum straightened her composure on the passenger seat. “Arianna, you’ll survive and get out of this thing after three days so you might as well just enjoy this cliché family moment your father has successfully imprisoned us to. Carpe diem!”

 

Dad rolled her eyes, laughing whilst her brother and mother joined him. Aya could only rub her temple in frustration. There were a few moments of stops and vague sounds then, just the sudden everything started to get blur. She heard her father curse something whilst the car steered to an endless moving three hundred sixty degrees. She heard a vague honk of a bigger truck. She heard her mother’s screams and her little brother’s own. By instinct, she grabbed her brother’s hand but it was no help. Her body was thrown to the side with a hard force. The voice inside of died down. She felt herself numb. Everything happened so fast…so quickly. The next thing she knew, she felt that crashing force of being squeezed so hard by something so heavy.

 

Everything hurt so badly. Her body shook so hard. Tears streamed in her eyes. She couldn’t hear anymore. Dots covered her eyes. She didn’t know where the blood came from but she knew she was losing it so hard. She tried to twist her neck but it hurt. It ing hurt. She saw a glimpse of her brother, her dad, her mother. She couldn’t make up their positions but she knew that it was so mismatched. They were everywhere. Blood was everywhere.

 

Then, she suddenly felt so weak, so tired. She wanted to sleep so badly. But she didn’t want to leave her family. It was replaced with dizziness. Everything was starting to spin and the will to stay awake slipped away from grasp. It was hard to breath now. It was hard to stay awake. It was hard to tell which was which.

 

She was exhausted.

 

So, she gave in and closed her eyes.

 

***

From the Author:

And this where everything gets all angsty XD *slapped*

Let me know what you guys think about it ^^ Love ya'll