Bonus Chapter 2

My Last Wish

 

A/N: Luhan is fifteen. And comments are loved!

 

“You’re being unreasonable, Baba! Everyone’s going to be there but me! I could’ve lied to you and told you it is a sleepover or something and you would’ve let me!” Luhan was screaming at the top of her lungs when Joonmyeon came in from the supermarket. Two of the house help scrambled to get the grocery bags from the car boot. The boys were behind her, shrugging out of their puffers and winter boots.

 

Despite being busy as the new headmistress of the music school, Joonmyeon made sure her family ate well, thus, personally buys all of their food supplies and Yifan and the kids would often tag along. However, Yifan just came in from a business trip and Luhan bailed out for some reason. But she was not expecting to witness a shouting match the moment she stepped in.

 

“Do you hear yourself, Wu Luhan? You would purposely lie to your parents because of a stupid party?!”

 

“I am not saying that! Why are you putting words into my mouth! You’re not even listening to what I’m saying! I don’t want to lie to you so I am telling you the truth that it would be a party and yes, there would be boys!”

 

Joonmyeon thought she’d heard enough and cleared . Two people standing on top of the staircase looked at them, clearly not aware that they had an audience. The two younger boys, Yixun and Yalun were ushered out of the foyer by their brother “Come on, let’s have some tea so we won’t get sick.” Joonmyeon gave Shixun a grateful smile before giving her full attention to the two squabbling idiots.

 

“What’s the problem?” She asked calmly.

 

“Mama! Tell Baba he’s being difficult! He won’t let me go to a party just because Xiumin will be there!” Joonmyeon pressed the bridge of her nose to block an impending headache. “Can we all talk about this in a civilized manner? I’ll meet you two in the study.” She went to the kitchen to calm herself and make sure all the food she bought was stored properly. She found her three boys feasting on some apple tea and Nyonya desserts Yifan brought from Singapore.

 

“Why are Baba and Jie fighting, Mama?” Yalun asked.

 

“Yes! You told us it’s bad to fight.” Yixun seconded. Shixun, who outgrew his talkativeness, remained passive.

 

Joonmyeon sighed. “They’re not fighting, baby. They’re just really not listening well to each other that they have to raise their voices to get their point across. Don’t worry, Mama will talk to them, okay? After eating, don’t forget to brush your teeth and take a hot shower, uh?”

 

Both boys saluted and Joonmyeon dragged herself to the study. Luhan was in the height of puberty and Yifan refused to accept that his baby was no longer a little girl. The other day, Luhan’s schoolmate, Xiumin, came over to personally ask Yifan and Joonmyeon to woo their daughter. Joonmyeon found it cute that in the age of online courtship and one-night-stands, a young gentleman was formally asking a girl’s parents to court her. Yifan though was almost rude and threatened the boy to call his parents to stop his nonsense.

 

Yifan, I understand that you’re protective of Luhan but one day, Shixun will be in that boy’s shoes and you don’t want anyone doing the same thing to your son. That boy was polite enough to let us know of his intentions when he can simply approach her in school.” She tried to reason but Yifan was not in the mood to accept any reason.

 

“Hah! He can have anyone but not my daughter! We don’t even know him! Who his family is, where he came from! I don’t like him.” He stalked out of the room then, leaving the conversation at that.

 

Luhan cried to sleep that day and no amount of pep talk can put her spirits up. She was embarrassed for what Yifan did to her friend.

 

“Mama, why is Baba being like this?” She sniffed. “We are not doing anything wrong! His friends would whenever I’m around to confess already but he won’t budge even if everyone kept saying he likes me. He told my friend that he wanted to do the right thing first. I didn’t even know he’s planning to come here.” Joonmyeon hugged her stepdaughter.

 

“Don’t look at it like that, Luhan-ah. You’re Baba’s princess. He was just worried that someone will take you away from us so quickly. He’s like that because he wanted to protect you. Please understand.”

 

“But Jin Xiumin isn’t just anyone, Mama! His father is Jin Qinghe of the Northeastern Group and his mother is top designer Li Xiulei. What would they say? That Baba is so barbaric and rude? I don’t want them to think badly of our family.” Luhan wailed. Joonmyeon can only sigh in response. Yifan was being stubborn but she didn’t want to further widen the gap between father and daughter. She asked for Yixing’s guidance silently.

 

 Joonmyeon took it upon herself to contact Xiumin’s parents to apologize for her husband’s behavior. Fortunately, the Jins were very understanding. They knew that Xiumin and Luhan were both very young for something as serious as courtship and Mrs. Jin even told her they met Yifan once at party and they knew he only meant well and was not purposely being rude to their son.

 

Father and daughter was as far away from each other as possible when she entered the library. At least they’re not yelling. Luhan was slumped on the couch while Yifan was looking out the oversized bay window. She closed the door firmly behind her.

 

“Now, tell me why you both can’t keep it down that you terrorized everyone in the house?” She crossed her arms in front of her chest. She really didn’t like the idea that they’re not setting a good example for the younger kids.

 

No response.

 

“Ignore me once more there will be consequences.” She warned. Her patience was running thin.

 

“He’s being stubborn!” Luhan exclaimed. Yifan scoffed.

 

“You both are actually.” She shook her head. “This is becoming out of hand. You won’t settle anything if you keep doing this. Luhan, I don’t want you raising your voice at your father. You don’t like him being rude but you’re not any better.” The younger girl recoiled at that.

 

“And Wu Yifan, this is a birthday party with the parents of the celebrant around, what could possibly go wrong?”

 

“That boy will be there! What if he tries anything with my daughter?” He snapped, glaring at Luhan.

 

“Did I ever do anything to make you worry? I never broke any curfews, I am doing well in school, you know all of my friends. Why don’t you trust me?” Luhan was now crying, her whole body was shaking. Joonmyeon saw Yifan’s expression change into that of worry. Joonmyeon came over and hugged her to calm her down.

 

“I’ll talk to your Baba, okay? Please stop crying, baby, you’re going to get sick.” She whispered.

 

********************************************

 

Yifan was taken aback when he saw that Joonmyeon was still awake. She was sitting on their bed, her night lamp on and an open book was on her lap. He knew she was waiting for her and he purposely stayed up late going through some paperwork he didn’t need for another two weeks to avoid her. But he guessed it was all in vain.

 

He took a brief shower and occupied his side of the bed.

 

“Yifan.” Joonmyeon called. “Please talk to me.” He sighed heavily.

 

“I just don’t want her to get a boyfriend just yet, you know? It felt like it was only yesterday that I’m tying her shoelaces for her and now boys are coming here declaring her undying love for her. What do you want me to do, watch while my daughter is being taken away?” Joonmyeon scooted closer and laid on her favorite pillow aka Yifan’s chest.

 

“Baby, you have to understand that Luhan won’t be your little princess forever. Your daughter is very intelligent; she’s out to conquer the world. Do you know that she wasn’t mad because you won’t let Xiumin court her formally? She was upset because she didn’t want his family to think ill of you. She adores you, looks up to you and respects you a lot. So please just let her go a little. She won’t do anything to break your trust.”

 

Yifan bit his lip. “Do you know how I’ll make it up to her?” He said in a small voice.

 

“Well, I know just the best person to help you.”

 

“And how much is it costing me?”

 

“It depends.” She giggled.

 

*******************************************

 

Ritz Carlton’s Diamond Ballroom was transformed into a winter wonderland. What place was more appropriate to celebrate the birthday of Hong Kong’s richest teenager than the country’s tallest building? Giant crystal sculptures depicting stalactites hung from the ceiling, realistic imitations of sycamore trees were covered in snow and oversized Swarovski installations adorned every table.

 

Joonmyeon outdid herself this time. In the past eight years that she’s married to Hong Kong’s most celebrated tycoon, she was introduced to the lifestyle of the rich and famous and that includes hosting countless soirees for both personal and business causes. She thought it was the best she can do to help Yifan run his empire. And the parties she hosted did not disappoint. The gala that she hosted for the British ambassador last spring was still the talk of the town.

 

But today was special. It was Luhan’s sweet sixteen and she made sure that everything went exactly as planned. The only adults present were closest family and friends because she didn’t want it to turn in to a publicity stunt. Exclusive invites were sent by the help of Luhan’s most trusted friends and every vendor contracted for the party was sworn into secrecy. She’d like to keep everything under wraps until the last minute.

 

Guests were asked to be in their casual whites. Adults were served white chocolate martinis and coconut daiquiris. Minors feasted on white non-alcoholic cocktails and sumptuous h'orderves while the kitchen was still busy preparing for a winter-inspired sit-down dinner.

 

Anna Sui personally took their measurements but she told Luhan it was for Jongin’s—Joonmyeon’s brother—wedding. At the last minute, Joonmyeon bailed out on a party for the Zhang Foundation and asked Luhan to come with her father instead. Yifan will bring Luhan to the venue where everyone was waiting.

 

At exactly eight in the evening, the lights were turned off.

 

********************************************

 

Luhan was feeling nervous. It was her first time to appear in a public function with Yifan. Joonmyeon had some last-minute engagement in school and her stepmother asked her if she can accompany her father to an important party hosted by her mother’s foundation.

 

Over the last few weeks, she had somehow repaired her relationship with her father. She had come see his father’s side of things with the help of Joonmyeon. Yifan was more lenient to her when it came to social life and in return, a personal bodyguard was hired to watch her from a distance. That was the best bargain they can come up with.

 

When Boxian-jie came in to help her get ready, she was surprised to see an ice blue rendition of Anna Sui’s Aiguille masterpiece.

 

“Are you sure this is what I’m supposed to wear? I think this is for the wedding.”

 

“Shhh. You can’t wear this dress to your Uncle Jongin’s wedding. You’re going to outshine the bride!”

 

Ritz Carlton Hong Kong occupied the top seventeen floors of the International Commerce Center. The hallway was relatively silent when they were escorted out of the lift. Two uniformed burly Caucasians were stationed outside huge mahogany double doors. Like clockwork, they opened the doors the moment they were right in front of it.

 

And they were welcomed by nothing but darkness.

 

Her grip on Yifan’s arm tightened and loosened in shock when the lights were only to see her family and friends gathered in a room cut right out of a Disney fairytale.

 

“Happy birthday!” They shouted in unison.

 

It was all so surreal. She was dancing with Yifan when Xiumin stepped in and asked Yifan for his turn. She thought her father will make a scene but then he said, “Take care of my daughter, young chap. Or else…” He trailed off with a smirk.

 

She saw Joonmyeon standing in a distance, watching them with a fond smile on her face. She beamed at her mother for all intents and purposes and mouthed, “Thank you.”