1/2

My Last Wish

 

When Yifan read the letter, his blood ran cold. He immediately pressed a button on his interphone and told his secretary to cancel everything he had for the afternoon. If he left now, he will surely catch Joonmyeon in his house.

 

He ignored the house help’s polite greeting and inquiry about having an afternoon snack. He went straight to the music room where he knew she would be. Joonmyeon taught at a nearby music school and gave Luhan private piano lesson every other afternoon. The two were startled when he entered the room without preamble, the door banging against the wall loudly.

 

“Baba! You’re early!” His daughter stood up from the piano bench and gave him a hug. Joonmyeon was watching them with a small smile. He imagined which of her smiles were actually real.

 

“Hi baby. Will you give Auntie and I a minute? Ask Ahlian to prepare some snack for you and Shixun for when he comes home from soccer practice, okay?”

 

“Okay! Bye, Auntie!” Luhan gave Joonmyeon a hug before skittering off to look for her nanny.

 

“It’s good to see you, Yifan.” Joonmyeon beamed at him but he didn’t have any desire to return it. Her face fell and he looked away, choosing to lock the door to the music room to reinforce privacy. He didn’t want anyone to hear whatever it was they were going to talk about especially his children. He was glad that Yixing insisted that they soundproof the room because she loved playing music when she can’t sleep and she didn’t want to disturb anyone while at it.

 

“I’m sure it is.” He said, his tone dripping with disdain.

 

***************************************

 

“It’s goo to see you, Yifan.” Joonmyeon thought that locking the door to a soundproofed room was overdoing it but chose not to comment on it. She wondered what it was he wanted to talk to her about. Even if she was here three times a week, she hardly sees him nowadays because he always stayed back for work. Boxian, the Wu family’s butler, would ask her to stay for dinner sometimes and she would sometimes see him then.

 

She knew he was purposely tiring himself out so he won’t have to stay up late thinking about Yixing because she was the same. It had been over a year since her best friend succumbed to Pneumonia but Yifan showed no signs of moving on anytime soon. She knew that the only reason he was keeping it together would be their children. Luhan, a lovely girl eight years of age was b with positivity and happiness. Once, she caught her staring at  Yixing’s portrait down the hall, shedding tears because she missed her terribly, she gave her a hug and told her that her mother wouldn’t like it if she cried—that Yixing was in heaven, watching over them and protecting them. She was taken aback because she was supposed to be the one telling Luhan these things.

 

She was glad that Yixing had raised such beautiful and intelligent children. Shixun was only three and didn’t remember his mother that much but the ball of energy kept his sister and father going during these tough times.

 

“I’m sure it is.” Was it contempt that she heard? She stared at him like he had grown two heads, her smile was immediately wiped off her face.

 

“Is something wrong?” She frowned.

 

“I trust that you can make up some lame excuse as to why you can’t continue to come here and teach Luhan piano. I’ll give you severance pay for your trouble but I really hope this is the last time I’m going to see you.” He was already taking out his checkbook and his pen when she found her voice.

 

“I-I’m not sure I know what you mean?” She croaked. She stood there like a statue, racking her brain of any reason why Yifan was suddenly terminating her services. “D-Did I do something to offend you? I mean—“

 

“Are you seriously asking me this question? After you asked my daughter to deliver this to me?” A piece of crumpled paper was thrown to her direction and it landed mutely on her feet. The delicate parchment looked vaguely familiar and her heart thumped loudly in her chest when she bent to pick it up.

 

*****************************************

 

“Are you seriously asking me this question? After you asked my daughter to deliver this to me?” He scoffed. That morning over breakfast, Luhan handed him a letter telling him it was from Joonmyeon. Periodically, she would tell him of Luhan’s progress or give him invitations to recitals she managed to let her join. Not thinking too much of it, he put in his briefcase for later and left for work. He wasn’t able to read it until he brought out a copy of a document he needed for his next scheduled meeting.

 

She picked up the letter and he saw her face lost color when she realized what it was. “No—I—w-where did you get this?”

 

“Tell me you didn’t write it.” He challenged. He always suspected there was something wrong with Joonmyeon. She might have introduced him to Yixing and he’d thank her forever for that but he didn’t like that she was always around them—like a third wheel almost. Joonmyeon was from South Korea from no particular background. They didn’t know anything about her and for his late wife, it wasn’t important. But now, he was starting to see through her. She was the first one there for him when Yixing died but he didn’t realize the motive behind it all.

 

****************************************

 

Joonmyeon bit her lip, unable to refute what Yifan said. She remembered writing this letter long ago, mentally noting to burn it afterwards. The other day, Luhan asked her if she can cook her and Shixun their favorite hotteok. She picked them up from school and brought them home. Luhan saw her old high school yearbook lying around and asked her if she can take it home to show her father. The little girl was fascinated by Yixing’s high school photo. She totally forgot about the letter that she might have placed between its pages. She was glad she sealed the letter even without the intention of sending it but she did write his name on the envelope. “It didn’t mean anything. I didn’t even mean to send it to you. I am not expecting you to give me—“

 

“Like hell I would give you an answer! Aren’t you ashamed of yourself? I just buried my wife—your best friend! Why don’t you just spit on her grave? I’ve always known you envied her! She had everything while you’re this nobody who needed her just to stay in school!”

 

She felt her ears go red when she registered what he said. “What did you just say?” She met Yixing during her last year of high school. Nobody knew she was an heiress sent to a public school for better chances of landing a good university. They hit if off right away and decided to go to University of Hong Kong together. She was a music major while Yixing studied Economics. She was a full scholar but still had to wait tables to support her studies.

 

“Oh, don’t play dumb! I didn’t believe for one second that you didn’t know Yixing paid your way to uni!” He was red with anger; his fists were clenched tightly on his sides. “And all of that trouble just for you to betray her!”

 

******************************************

 

Yifan thought he said too much. There was a reason Yixing didn’t want anyone to know about what she did for Joonmyeon. He just stumbled upon receipts tucked away in the corner of their safe when he finally had the courage to put away her things. But he was furious. He was mad at Joonmyeon for harboring feelings for him. He was mad at Yixing for leaving him alone so early. And certainly mad at himself for reciprocating Joonmyeon’s feelings. After his wife died, Joonmyeon was there to help them get through the rough months and when he realized he was feeling something he shouldn’t have, he stayed away. He put in long hours in the office to the point of neglecting his own children to avoid running into Joonmyeon.

 

“Wu Yifan,” Joonmyeon’s voice was grave. “I may have liked you—loved you even—but it didn’t give you the right to insult me. If you’ve really read the letter, you must know that I didn’t wish to hurt anyone, especially Yixing. If I did, then I am sorry. If you do not want to see me again, I’ll do as you wish.”

 

*****************************************

 

8 months later

 

“Aunt Joon, is that you?” A shrill voice interrupted her thoughts as she knelt in front of Yixing’s tomb. She was frozen in her spot for a moment before she turned to the owner of the voice. There they were, Luhan, Shixun and…Yifan. Tomorrow was Yixing’s birthday and she purposely went a day early to avoid seeing them.

 

The kids dashed to her to give a bear hug while their father stood motionless on the side of the small metal archway. Yixing was buried in the Hong Kong Cemetery; beside the ancestors of the Wu family who can trace their roots to the great Sun Yat Sen. Tombs were erected on a large patch of greenery enclosed with neatly trimmed shrubbery. It was a luxury only very few families can afford. Especially since the island was notorious for having overpopulated cemeteries.

 

“We missed you tho much!” Shixun trapped her in his chokehold with no intention of letting go. She stood up, balancing him in her arm while messing up Luhan’s tresses.

 

“I missed you guys, too! You have no idea.” She swallowed a lump in .

 

“Baba! Thank you! I really liked this surprise!” It was Luhan, grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Surprise?” Joonmyeon asked in confusion. For the first time since they arrived, she looked at him in the eye but he immediately looked away.

 

“Mama’s birthday is tomorrow but dad has to leave for Switzerland for work so we came in a day early. He said he has a surprise for us to make up for it. You’ll join us for lunch, right?” She was looking at her with those pleading doe eyes but as much she didn’t want to burst her bubble, she didn’t think she’ll be able stomach having a meal with Yifan. She didn’t wait for her to respond though as she tugged at Shixun’s pants. She put him on his feet and they ceremoniously scrubbed their mom’s grave with soapy water they brought in a small bucket. The small act of filial piety touched her. She took the chance to leave while they were saying their prayer but Yifan caught up with her a few paces away.

 

“Joonmyeon.” She wasn’t a rude person but she really had nothing to say to him. She didn’t stop to acknowledge him but he was keeping up easily with his long strides. “You promised the children you’ll join us for lunch.” That did it for Joonmyeon.

 

“I didn’t promise them anything!” She hissed.

 

“Look, I understand that I was harsh—“

 

“Harsh?” She parroted. “You weren’t harsh to me, Yifan. You were cruel.” She had to lie to the kids about moving to a different job—which she eventually did. She moved to Shanghai when a Chinese new-moneyed family hired her as a music teacher slash governess to their two young daughters.

 

“Auntie!” Joonmyeon stopped in her tracks. She discreetly wiped her tears away before plastering a smile on her face.

 

“Yes, baby? Did you wish Mama a happy birthday?” She asked Shixun. The boy asked to be carried and Joonmyeon didn’t have the heart to say no.

 

“Yeth! Are you leaving again?” He pouted. Luhan was walking towards them, eyes misty.

 

“Baba, it’s your turn.” She said and Yifan left her with his two children. She felt trapped. There was no way she can turn them down now.

 

“I have a new music teacher now. But you’re way better than Mr. Chanlie! I was afraid of him when I first saw him. He was almost as tall as Baba but his ears were huge and his voice was so deep. But then he laughs like a baboon—“

 

“Luhan, it’s not proper to call other people names.” She reprimanded gently.

 

“I am not calling him names, I am describing him.” She sassed and the elder rolled her eyes. Typical Luhan. She took both of her parents’ personalities. Yixing’s bright and positive outlook and Yifan’s wit and intellect resulted to a very confident young lady. She was feeling sad Yixing wasn’t here to see them grow up.

 

She heard Shixun hum softly against her ear and his dead weight gave away his peaceful slumber. She sighed inwardly. Now, she really was trapped.

 

She was enlightened about the surprise the moment they reached the place where they would be having lunch.

 

“I have a reservation under Wu Yifan.”

 

“Yes, of course, Mr. Wu. I hope your wife and children like it.” The slight woman in a modest pink chiffon shift dress didn’t even notice her slip up. Yifan didn’t correct her. Shixun woke up on their way to the restaurant but he still won’t let go of Joonmyeon.

 

The restaurant was built on top of a hill overlooking the Repulse Bay. The tranquil waters of autumn created a soothing getaway from busy Hong Kong. The Tang Dynasty mansion was converted to a whimsical Chinese playhouse. The traditional Imperial Chinese furniture was painted in toothache-inducing pastel and the there were knick-knacks everywhere to keep the children busy.

 

“It’s so pretty!” Luhan gushed and Joonmyeon had to agree. She had no idea a place like this exist in Hong Kong.

 

They were escorted to an outside patio all the way to the back garden. Partly hidden by a neatly-clipped hedge was a white octagonal conservatory made of glass and wrought iron. Joonmyeon felt like she was transported to the Mirabell Gardens of Salzburg and had the sudden urge to belt out Sixteen Going on Seventeen.

 

Inside the conservatory were hundreds of species of orchids in almost all color imaginable. The sweet subtle smell of flowers immediately assaulted their senses. An intimate round table was set in the middle. “This is the best spot in the house. Your waiter will be with you shortly. Enjoy!”

 

After feasting on sumptuous English pies and steaks, the two children were practically bouncing off their seats, ready to explore the area. After promising that Luhan won’t let Shixun out of her sight, they took off. Joonmyeon was left with Yifan and awkward silence hung in the air.

 

“I really shouldn’t be here.” She stood up, “I am going to miss my flight.” It was a lie. Her flight was tomorrow. She was planning on bingeing on Hong Kong street food that she missed while in Shanghai for the rest of the day. But nothing was going as planned.

 

“I need to talk to you, Joonmyeon.” She didn’t say anything but remained standing. Deep inside, she’d like to know what’s left to say after he chased her away that fateful afternoon. “Actually, I know you’re coming in for Yixing’s birthday that’s why I insisted that we visit her today, too.” Her brows furrowed. “There is no Switzerland trip but the lawyer would be reading Yixing’s last will tomorrow and you have to be there.” Why only now? Yixing had been dead for over two years.

 

“Why did the lawyer wait for so long to read the last will?” It really didn’t make sense to her.

 

“Yixing’s strict orders he said. I didn’t even know she left one. It was so sudden and she was very young.” Joonmyeon wanted to scoff. Yixing once mentioned that there was a team of the best lawyers taking care of the properties under her name. As a gift for her eighteenth birthday, she was allowed to sit with her parents to discuss the actual worth of them at the time. Yixing didn’t come to school for two days after that. When she came in, she went looking for Joonmyeon. She cried to her heart’s content that day. Not only did she know that she was worth billions of dollars, they told her nobody—not even her future husband would be able to benefit from these properties aside from her future children. Yixing hated that her parents would go to such lengths for money. There was the pressure of marrying someone from an equally wealthy –if not wealthier—old money, Chinese family.

 

When Yixing introduced Yifan to her family, her parents didn’t oppose in any way. Yixing got pregnant a year before they graduated from college. The two tied the knot in a simple private ceremony. Joonmyeon was glad; maybe Yixing’s worries were uncalled for. Maybe her parents did really want her to be happy. Yifan was just a normal student. He rode the subway every morning to school and washed the dishes in a famous hotel downtown. The two lived in one of the apartments Yixing owned in the Mid-levels until they finished school and Luhan was born.

 

The planning for the church wedding started right after graduation and that’s when she learned Yifan was not who she thought he was. The hotel where he worked at was his family’s as well as eighty-something other hotels worldwide. After getting his diploma, he was sent to London for further studies while Yixing planned the wedding of the year. The Wus had stakes in every important business there was—petroleum, shipping, media, palm oil, retail, hospitality—and the expected guests were heads of states, royalties and important members of the parliament. Joonmyeon knew then that Yixing’s parents had nothing to worry about.  

 

Joonmyeon sighed heavily. “I’ll be there.” She said dismissively.

 

“Thank you.” He gave her the place and time of the meeting. She said goodbye to the children with the promise of seeing them again very soon.

 

*******************************************

 

When she arrived, both the lawyer and Yifan were already there. “You must be Kim Joonmyeon. My name’s Huang Zitao, Zhang Yixing’s legal counsel.” The man was a bit younger than both of them, chiseled face, sharp eyes and brooding impression.

 

“Yes, nice to meet you, Atty. Huang.” She occupied a seat in the long conference table. She wondered if they were expecting someone else.

 

“Do you care for anything to drink before we start?” She shook her head politely. He sat at the head of the table after locking the door of the room. “I had specific instructions to count two birthdays after she passed away before reading her will. This was drafted months after her father’s death. That’s when I started working for Yixing-jie.” Yixing’s father died four years ago and her mother a year after Luhan was born.

 

“How come this is the first time I’m meeting you?” Yifan asked.

 

“She terminated the services of her family’s lawyers and hired new ones. She didn’t want anyone to question her decisions.”

 

“Was she sick for a long time? Why did she write this last will? Wasn’t it premature?” She can’t help but ask these questions that plagued her since yesterday.

 

“Well, we’ve proven that nothing was premature, haven’t we? Besides, it was common for family like theirs to have these things ready way before they need them.” Yifan nodded in agreement. “Lawyers of the Zhang Corporation just assumed that the controlling shares of the company will be managed by Mr. Wu until their children are old enough to sit in the board.” Yifan nodded, seemingly deep in thought.

 

Zitao cleared his throat. “I, Yixing Zhang-Wu, an adult residing at Forty-six Island Road, Deep Water Bay, Hong Kong, being of sound mind, declare this to be my Last Will and Testament. I revoke all wills and codicils previously made by me.

 

 

“ARTICLE I

 

 

“I appoint Zitao Huang as my Personal Representative to administer this Will, and ask that he be permitted to serve without Court supervision and without posting bond. If Zitao Huang is unwilling or unable to serve, then I appoint George Hu to serve as my Personal Representative, and ask that he be permitted to serve without Court supervision and without posting bond.

 

 

“ARTICLE II

 

 

“I direct my Personal Representative to pay out of my residuary estate all of the expenses of my last illness, administration expenses, all legally enforceable creditor claims, all Federal estate taxes, state inheritance taxes, and all other governmental charges imposed by reason of my death without seeking reimbursement from or charging any person for any part of the taxes and charges paid, and if necessary, reasonable funeral expenses, including the cost of any suitable marker for my grave, without the necessity of an order of court approving said expenses.

 

 

 

“ARTICLE III

 

 

“I devise, bequeath, and give my Oleg Vassiliev paintings, tea pot collection and my whole wardrobe to my friend Kim Joonmyeon. (Joonmyeon gasped. The contemporary Russian painter was Yixing’s favorite and she bought all his masterpieces she can get a hold of. She had tea pots from the Tang and Ming Dynasties and British aristocracy acquired from different auctions all over the world. Not to mention the massive wardrobe she didn’t even want to think about.)

I devise, bequeath, and give my Mid-levels flat to Nancy Kwek. (Nancy took care of Yixing since she was born.)

I devise, bequeath, and give my jewelry collection to my daughter, Luhan Wu.

I devise, bequeath, and give my comic book and manga collection to my son, Shixun Wu.

 

 

“ARTICLE IV

 

 

“I devise, bequeath, and give all the rest and remainder of my residuary estate as follows:

 

  1. 50% to Luhan Wu.
  2. 50% to Shixun Wu.

 

(Provided that Yifan Wu marry Joonmyeon Kim on or before my third year death anniversary.)

 

In the event that these two people are not able to fulfill my wishes (provided they are both unmarried the day the Will is administered), my entire estate will be donated to the Zhang Foundation unless specified in the Article III of this Will. If both or one of the parties are married before they were made aware of these conditions, my properties should be divided equally to my children and my spouse.

 

“ARTICLE—“

 

“W-Wait! Wait! Please stop! I do not understand any of this!” Joonmyeon was near hysteria. She must have misheard the conditions of Yixing’s will. This was not happening to her!

 

“Ms. Kim. Please allow me to finish—“

 

“How can you expect me to calmly wait for you to finish! Are you insane? You’re a lawyer! You shouldn’t have encouraged her to—Yifan!” She turned to him, eyes pleading. “Please tell him to stop joking! This is not true! Yixing won’t do this!”

 

“Joonmyeon. Please get a hold of yourself.” Yifan, who spoke for the first time since Zitao began, said firmly. “Let him finish what he’s here to do and we will do what we can. Please sit down and listen.” Joonmyeon let out heavy breaths to calm herself, her mind was running a mile a minute.

 

“Should any beneficiary not survive me by 30 days, his or her share shall be distributed to his or her then surviving blood relatives in equal shares.

 

 

“Signed by Yixing Zhang-Wu on this Fifth day of July, Two Thousand Eleven.

 

 

“SELF-PROVING AFFIDAVIT

 

“The instrument, consisting of this and two typewritten pages was signed and acknowledged by Testator as her Last Will and Testament in our presence, and we, at her request, and in her presence, and in the presence of each other, have subscribed our names as witnesses. Under penalties for perjury, we, the undersigned Testator and witnesses declare:

 

1. That the Testator executed this instrument as her Will;

2. That in the presence of witnesses, the Testator signed or acknowledged her signature already made, or directed another to sign for her in her presence;

3. That the Testator executed the Will as her free and voluntary act for the purposes expressed in it;

4. That each of the witnesses, in the presence of the Testator and of each other, signed the Will as witness;

5. That the Testator was of sound mind; and

6. That, to the best of her knowledge, the Testator was at the time eighteen or more years of age.

All of which is attested to this Fifth day of July, Two Thousand Eleven.

 

 

“Signed by Yixing Zhang-Wu, Testator, Pascal Pang, Witness, Amber Liu, Witness.”

 

 

The time Atty. Huang needed to finish reading the whole document helped Joonmyeon to clear her head a bit. She was able to piece her questions together and she was able to think of the possible ways out of this predicament. She opened but Yifan beat her to it.

 

 

 

“What if one or both of us are not married but in a relationship? Are you expecting that we break up with them?” He asked, incredulous.

 

“Then that wouldn’t be a problem, would it? Both of you are unattached at the moment.” The lawyer said, matter-of-factly.