Three

Think About It Twice

 

"Mingyu."

"Wake up."

"Mingyu, come on, get up!"

"Kim Mingyu!"

"KIM MINGYU GET OUT OF YOUR BED YOU SON OF A PRICK OR I'LL KICK YOUR !"

 

Mingyu swore he hasn't gotten up any quicker than how he shoot up in his bed when he heard his best friend's deep voice shouting through his ears. He glared lazily at Wonwoo,  who was standing beside his bed, before scratching his abused ears and laying down again on his comfortable but messy bed, facing the ceiling. "I wanna die." he muttered.

 

"You're going to if you don't get up now." Wonwoo threatened and Mingyu felt chills run down his spine. His best friend's voice, no matter much he's used to it, still gives him chills when used to speak threatening words. "Get out of your bed while I'm asking you nicely."

 

But he didn't budge and kept his blank gaze focused on the ceiling above. "I don't want to go to school."

 

"Shut up! You've been skipping school for three days now, Mingyu. You're mom's getting worried." Wonwoo said, irritated.

 

"I don't want to." Mingyu continued to whine, shaking his shoulders in defiance.

 

"Hurry up, Mingyu or we're going to be late." Wonwoo said coldly, voice coated with nothing but ice.

 

"I said I don't want to go to school. I want to die, hyung. I want to be swallowed by a whale and live in its stomach for the rest of my life. I want to hide, I want to disappear from this world! I want to go anywhere but school!" he said, burying his face under his duvet.

 

"Oh really? Well let me tell you what I want, Kim Mingyu. I want to ing get outta here. I want to go to my girlfriend. I want to see her, hug her and kiss her. I want to hold her in my arms. I want to make out with her. I want to be with her but look where I am right now! I'm here with you, in your room, waking you up and trying to get you out of your ing bed. If it wasn't for your mom calling me, asking me to help her make you go to school, I wouldn't even be here. So if you want to stay as my best friend, get the out of that bed, take a shower and get dressed cause whether you like it or not, we are going to school together!" Wonwoo finished his rant with a low growl and Mingyu felt like his bones grew weak. He knows he shouldn't piss his hyung especially in the morning. So even though his mind and body doesn't want to get up, he slowly pulled himself off the bed and dragged his feet to the bathroom. He stripped his clothes and began washing himself lazily. Mingyu almost slipped on the wet floor when he heard Wonwoo shouting from the outside "Hurry up!" Wonwoo scolded. He quickly finished showering and stepped out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. Wonwoo was sitting on the edge of the bed, glaring at him and Mingyu just stared back at him with a pleading look, as if asking him to not let him go to school. Wonwoo rolled his eyes at him. "Hurry up and get dressed or I'll freakin' cut off your s! You're taking too much time." he complained.

 

"Okay! Okay!" Mingyu raised his arms in surrender but quickly covered his s and walked towards his closet. He opened it and pulled out one set of uniform and quickly put it on, white polo shirt first before the navy blue blazer. He pulled up his pants, hooked the button and zipped it up. He sat down beside Wonwoo who threw him a pair of socks which landed sqaure on his face. Before he could glare at Wonwoo, the older got his towel and continued drying his hair while the younger put on his socks. "I'm not a baby anymore." Mingyu swatted Wonwoo's hands when he finished putting on his socks. He grabbed his red tie from the hanger and placed it around his neck.

 

"You're acting like one now." Wonwoo retorted and this time, he swatted Mingyu's hands away from the tie and began putting it on correctly for the taller. "Tsk. You're six-feet tall but you can't even tie a necktie properly? And you say you're not a baby, wow, I believe you." he said sarcastically.

 

"I know how to put it on properly, I just don't want to." Mingyu defended, turning away from Wonwoo when the older finished doing his tie.

 

"Sure you do. Now let's go, big baby. My lovely girlfriend must've been starving. She hasn't taken her daily dose of my delicious lips yet." he said, pushing Mingyu out of the room. Mingyu rolled his eyes in annoyance but he managed to grab his backpack before Wonwoo could completely push him out of his room. They went downstairs and saw Mingyu's mother in the Kitchen.

 

"Oh, you're finally out of your room!" she said happily. She quickly made her way to where the two boys were standing and she gave Wonwoo a big hug. "Thank you, my son. You're really the best." she said, patting Wonwoo's back.

 

"Uh mom, I am your son." Mingyu clarified in case his mom forgot.

 

"Of course you are." she said and hugged Mingyu too. "You're my tall son and Wonwoo's my handsome son." she said proudly.

 

"Oh, thank you mommy!" Wonwoo said, flashing his cheeky smile.

 

"No fair! He's handsome and I'm tall? Just tall?" Mingyu complained. "I'm your son mom! I came out from your tummy and you say I'm tall?" he said, disbelief coated his whiny voice.

 

"Cut it out Mingyu. We're going to be late." Wonwoo said as he dragged the sulking giant out of their house. He waved Mingyu's mom goodbye and pulled Mingyu along. The walk to their school was fast, Wonwoo never letting go of Mingyu's hand because if he did, the latter would walk 2000000x slower than a sloth but he still managed to pick up his phone using his other hand when Mina called. When they got to the gates, Mingyu stopped abruptly. Wonwoo turned to him. "Come on." he said.

 

"Wait, let me just put these on." he replied and took off his bag. He opened it and got a black face mask and eye glasses out. He zipped the bag again and wore it again. He put on his glasses and the face mask afterwards.

 

"What's that for?" Wonwoo asked with a raised eyebrow.

 

"I just... I just want to hide my face." Mingyu answered quietly. Wonwoo saw the look in Mingyu's face and decided to just let him be and leave the argument for later. He grabbed Mingyu's wrist again and started to walk towards their building. They arrived at Wonwoo's classroom first but Wonwoo decided to drop Mingyu off to his classroom first in case the younger decides to skip school. When they arrived at Mingyu's room, the teacher was fortunately still not there so Wonwoo dragged Mingyu to his seat and went to greet his girlfriend who was sitting just a few feet away from Mingyu. Mingyu quickly covered his face and went to his seat and buried his face in his arms that were folded above his desk.

 

Wonwoo smiled at his girlfriend. "Hi baby. I miss you so much." he said, leaning down to kiss Mina's lips. Seokmin rolled his eyes at the sight and decided to just ignore the couple.

 

"I miss you too babe." she replied after breaking off the kiss. The two lovers stared at each other lovingly and they would've continued doing so if not for the teacher who cleared his throat.

 

"Control your hormones and save the sinful act for later, Ms. Myoui and Mr. Jeon." Professor. Kang said, looking at them sternly.

 

Wonwoo flashed his dashing smirk at the teacher. "Sorry Professor Kang. I just missed my girlfriend so much. I'm off now. Have a good day." he bowed politely and went off but not before kissing Mina on the lips again. Professor Kang just glared at him but decided to just shrug it off and let Wonwoo slide since he's a good student. Wonwoo may be the biggest and the horniest male out there but his grades were amazing. Not as high as Mingyu's and Jihoon's but definitely higher than the rest of their friends. Big thanks to Mina who's not only hot and y but also very smart.

 

The lecture started and Mingyu heaved a sigh of relief when he saw that the seat beside him was empty. But even though he was kind of relieved that the beautiful girl was not in sight, there was something inside him that wants to see her beautiful face. No! I can't face her yet. I'm going to die of embarrassment. He cringed when he remembered what he did that day. He clearly remembered how shocked she was when she heard the words he said. Ugh! I hate myself.

 

[Flashback]

"What's wrong Mingyu?" Soonyoung asked. They were walking home together with Seokmin, Minghao and Jihoon. They all live in the same subdivision anyway so they always walk home together. The couples were having their usual dates and the three youngest were off to buy something they need for one of their subjects so the single ones were left to walk home together.

 

"I'm just confused." he answered, head lowered and eyes focused on the ground.

 

"Confused about what?" Seokmin asked this time. "You've been really quiet since this morning and I thought you're back to normal during lunch but now you're depressed again. What's up?"

 

"Its just," he started but quickly stopped when he realized he's about to confess his crush on the pretty transfer student to his friends. He doens't want to be teased so he quickly changed the topic. "Minghao, what does 'Ni hao. Wo shi Kim Mingyu. Wo Ai Ni.' mean?" he asked, looking at his friend.

 

"Oh, those were the words Jun hyung taught you earlier at lunch. Jun hyung was messing with you actually." Minghao said. "It actually means, "Hi, I'm Kim Mingyu. I love you." Minghao answered, chuckling.

 

"Oh okay." Mingyu said but his eyes widen when realization hit him. "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" he bursted out.

 

"Woah. Chill Mingyu." Jihoon said, surprised at Mingyu's sudden outburst.

 

"CHILL?! YOU'RE TELLING ME TO CHILL?! HOW CAN I? OH MY GOD!" Mingyu screamed, his hands made their way to his hair and he pulled on it. "No wonder her expression was like that. I ing told her that I love her straight to her face when we practically just met today." he mumbled to himself. He was walking absentmindedly, walking faster as he continued to pull his hair out of disbelief and anger. "Maybe she thinks I'm a creep. A freaky stalker. A ert. A lunatic. AAAHHHH!" he screamed and he felt his knees grow weak. He suddenly fell to the ground and his friends quickly ran after him.

 

"Mingyu!" Seokmin immediately crouched down and held Mingyu's arm. "What's the matter? Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

 

"I wanna die." Mingyu said weakly, head hanging low.

 

"What?" Jihoon asked, lifting Mingyu's face. "What's wrong?"

 

"Kill me now. Please just kill me now." Mingyu pleaded.

 

"What the hell are you saying, man? Are you crazy?" Soonyoung asked, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

"Fine! If you won't kill me, I'll do it myself!" he said angrily and he suddenly stood up and ran away from his friends who are calling after him.

 

Of course Mingyu didn't die. He couldn't even prick himself with a needle, how much more committing suicide. He's a scaredy cat like that. So he just ended up locking himself in his room. The boys might have told Jun about what happened because Mingyu could hear him knocking on his door when he didn't go to school on Tuesday. Jun must have figured out Mingyu was upset because of his stupid joke so he continuously apologized through closed doors and Mingyu eventually forgave him but he told him he wanted to be left alone. Wednesday and Thursday came and Mingyu still didn't go to school. His mom was worried sick but he told her he was okay and that he just didn't feel like going to school that week. Mingyu's mom let his son be since it was the first time he acted that way. She brought him food and checked up on him once in a while before doing the household chores.

 

Thursday night came and Mingyu heard a knock on his door. "Mingyu, your dinner's here." his mom's voice echoed through the door. He stood up from his bed and headed towards the door. He opened it and took the tray from his mother.

 

"Thanks, mom." he said quietly.

 

"Are you okay, son?" she asked, worry present in her sweet, feminine voice.

 

"Yeah." he replied. He was about to close the door but he opened it again and looked at his mother. "Mom, can I transfer to another school?" he asked.

 

Her mom's eyes widen at the sudden question. "What? Why? You're friends are all in your current school, why would you transfer to another school?" she asked.

 

Mingyu shook his head. His mom's right. His friends were in his current school, transferring would mean he'll have to make friends with strangers again and he doesn't like that. He loves his friends even if they cause him trouble sometimes, just like now, so he decided to push the idea away. "Nevermind. Thanks for the food." he said and he quietly closed the door.

 

[End of flashback]

 

Lunch break came and Mingyu and his friends, except Wonwoo who still has something to finish at the computer laboratory, were sitting around a table in the cafeteria. Everybody was eating, including Mingyu. His mood was slighty better because of the absence of the transfer student. He already took off his glasses and the mask and was taking the first bite off of his hamburger peacefully when he spotted a familiar figure walking into the cafeteria. His eyes widen at the sight of the beautiful transfer student walking gracefully towards the food counters.
 
 
"Sh*t!" he cursed loudly and he began to choke on his burger. His friends looked at him and were about to ask him what's wrong with him but he quickly stood up when he saw the transfer student looking his way. "Sh*t!" he cursed again before running out of the cafeteria. He ran and ran until he became exhausted and he found himself in front of the door of his classroom. "Ugh! What am I doing here?" he asked himself, frustrated that of all the places his feet could take him, they took him at the place where he would surely meet the transfer student. "I should go home." he stated, walking towards his seat. He got his bag from under his desk and slung it to his shoulder. He was about to go outside when he saw the transfer student walking inside the classroom. He quickly sat on his seat, rummaged through his bag to get the mask and the glasses and he put them on as fast as he could before the transfer student could sit beside him. Moments after, she finally sat beside him and Mingyu could feel his heart wanting to jump out of his chest from nervousness. He kept fidling with his fingers, not knowing what exactly he should do. Suddenly, he remembered the words Wonwoo said to him when they were inside the Boy's Restroom in the cafeteria. I have to do this! I can't live forever in fear. I have to explain myself and make things right. This time, I will do it properly and correctly.
 
 
He breathed deeply and turned towards the girl. This feels like deja vu. But this time, he was going to do it right. He looked at the girl beside him and mustered up all the courage he could and he finally cleared his throat. The transfer student turned to him, eyes staring straight into his. He felt his heart jump but his will to explain did not waiver. He took off his glasses and the mask and stared back at the girl. "Look, I know you probably won't understand anything I'll say but please just hear me out. Last Monday, when I talked to you, I didn't mean what I said. I mean, I wanted to talk to you, to introduce myself to you in Chinese cause you probably don't understand Korean so I had to ask my Chinese friend to teach me how to introduce myself in Chinese but he liked messing with me so he taught me the wrong words. I didn't mean to say what I said. What I actually wanted to say was..." he stopped to breathe and calm his beating heart and when he did, he continued. "Hi, I'm Kim Mingyu. I hope we can be friends." he said. "There, I finally said it. So please, don't think that I'm a freakin' ert who tells anyone 'I love you' upon meeting them for the first time." he added.
 

For his entire life, Mingyu thought the sun was the brightest thing in the world, but boy he was so wrong. The smile that the beautiful girl was flashing him was far brighter than all the stars and meteors combined and Mingyu swore he felt his heart jump and he could hear the frantic beating of his heart at the beautiful sight. As if it wasn't enough to make Mingyu crazy, the girl suddenly laughed softly and Mingyu couldn't help but blush at the melodic sound that came from her pink lips.

 

"Hello, Mingyu." she simply said, still smiling. Her cat eyes staring right through Mingyu's and he could feel his heart melting.

 

But Mingyu snapped out of his daze when realization hit him. "You can speak Korean?" he asked, covering his mouth in shock.

 

The girl giggled and nodded, "Yes, a little." she replied shortly.

 

Mingyu breathed out a heavy sigh of relief at the information. Finally, he can talk to the girl with ease. "Phew! At least you can speak Korean. I don't ever want to ask Jun hyung anymore about how to say things in Chinese." he said.

 

The girl chuckled, "Yeah, he taught you well." she said in between her laugh.

 

"Yeah. What a great friend." he replied sarcastically which made the girl laugh more. Mingyu felt relieved that the stupid misunderstanding was now solved but suddenly he realized he still doesn't know her name yet. "Uhm, so, uh," he began stuttering. The girl furrowed her eyebrows as she waited for Mingyu to finish what he was saying. He calmed his frantic heart and opened his mouth to speak. "W-what's your na-----"

 

"Yo, Mingyu!" Mingyu's words were cut by a running Seokmin. He slowed down when he was nearing Mingyu's chair. "Yah, you left us!" he accused, slapping Mingyu's shoulder before settling himself down on his own chair, still glaring at Mingyu.

 

Mingyu rolled his eyes at him because can't Seokmin come at a different time? He was about to ask the girl her name but he just had to in and ruin everything for him. "I just had to do something so I left early." he said quietly, not really wanting the beautiful girl to hear his pathetic lie. Seokmin shrugged and took out his phone from his pocket and began playing with it.

 

"Here, have this." Mingyu looked up and saw Mina handing him two sandwiches wrapped neatly with a table napkin. "You didn't finish your burger, which was devoured by Soonyoung shortly after you left, so I figured I'd buy you something to eat but your y boyfriend said one won't be enough for you because you didn't eat breakfast too so he asked me to buy another one. Wonwoo's such a sweet boyfriend, don't you think? He takes care of you so much I'm kind of getting jealous." She added, smiling sweetly at him.

 

Mingyu rolled his eyes again but accepted the sandwiches nonetheless because it would be rude not to and because truthfully, he was really hungry. "Thank you, Mina." he said shortly and decided not to comment on the subtle teasing from Mina. It was normal for Mina to refer to Wonwoo as Mingyu's boyfriend, because she likes teasing Mingyu as much as her boyfriend teases his best friend so he wasn't really bothered by it anymore. Mina smiled at him and settled on her chair, taking out things she figured she'd need for the next class. Mingyu placed the sandwiches down on his desk and quickly turned back his attention to the girl sitting beside him. He was confused because she was looking at him with wide eyes. He suddenly felt something in the pit of his stomach as he watched her look at him with a shocked expression. "W-what's the... matter?" he asked nervously.

 

She quickly snapped out of her daze at the sound of his voice and shook her head to regain herself. She quickly smiled at him, "Nothing." she said quietly. "What were you saying earlier?" she asked.

 

"Oh! Yeah!" Mingyu quickly answered. "I just.. just want to ask. What's your na---"

 

DING! DONG! DING! DONG! DING! DONG!

 

The loud ringing of the school bell was heard even before he could finish asking his question and a few moments later their teacher came walking into their classroom. Dammit! Mingyu cursed in his mind. What a ing good timing!  He glanced at the transfer student and caught her giving him a strange look but she quickly replaced it with a smile when she noticed him staring at her and then she turned to look at the front and started listening to their teacher. He clenched his fist and forced himself to face forward as well and turn his attention to the teacher. Mingyu couldn't wait to get out of class. He just wants the time to go faster and for dismissal to come soon. He couldn't wait to talk to the beautiful girl beside him again. He couldn't wait to ask what her name is. He couldn't wait to hear her sweet and soft voice again. But most of all, he wanted to know why she keeps on giving him weird looks.

 

What is it again this time?

 

 

 

- - - - - - 

[A/N]: Sorry for the very late update. Been busy with school. This chapter's a little longer than the two previous so I hope it makes up for the long wait. Anyway, thanks for all the upvotes and comments. I appreciate it so much. Til next time!