Prologue: Memories

Yuanfen

Prologue : Memories
Often I remember those I have known
In other days, to whom my heart was lead
As by a magnet, and who are not dead,
But absent, and their memories overgrown
With other thoughts and troubles of my own,
And is it so with them? After long years.
Do they remember me in the same way,
And is the memory pleasant as to me?

 

Summer drew nearer and with it the vibrancy of the hottest of months approached. The heat was unrelenting, though the great golden orb above proved to be friendlier this time around. The heat as per usual smoldered, sending up a disorienting haze making ovens out of parking lots and the baked turmac of the sidewalks hot enough to fry an English breakfast. It was the kind of heat that signaled the beginning of summer, when the countryside would be bathed in brilliant sunlight, when the grass grew taller in meadows to sway back and forth to the soulful melodies of cicadas.

 

The season of sun with its intoxicating perfume of roses that gave way to the cool scent of wet grass took Baekhyun back in time to a transitory evocation of his own summers past while he hopped down the stairs to the subway station. The mass of students that filled the subway had never been so jubilant -- the endless drone of laughter and an overall atmosphere of relief that belonged to those youths who looked forward to a well deserved summer vacation. It was rather overwhelming really, it wasn’t unusual for the brunette to start his shift midday -- but the station was rarely this stuffy at this time of day.

 

It was a momentary struggle for him to squeeze himself into the train and with a relieved sigh Baekhyun plopped down onto the nearest vacant seat, pulling his bag onto his lap as he did so. His orbs were trained on the tips of his shoes, though he couldn’t resist the urge to eavesdrop on the ecstatic buzz of high-school students who knew so little of the real world with the mountain of textbooks shielding their vision from the harshness of their life ahead. Once or twice he would steal a glance, ears welcomed to the sound of cheeky remarks and eyes to the sight of playful shoves, smacks and kicks while the train rattled across the rails. It was moments like these when Baekhyun fondly recalled what it was like to be so young.

 

Baekhyun’s attention was quick to divert to a voice however, “What’re you doing this summer?” the smallest of a group of three lads who sat right across from Baekhyun piped up, his voice cheery and light. He sat sandwiched in between two much taller boys, his head curiously turning back and forth between the other two, expecting a response. He reminded Baekhyun so much of Kyungsoo back in the day. The blonde one who snatched the smaller boy’s phone from him with a cheshire cat like grin and a snicker while waving it over the shorters head out of arms reach -- reminded Baekhyun much of himself. The other one, whose fingers were hooked to the ed collar of his shirt to absentmindedly flap it, revealing a patch of tanned skin beneath while staring blankly out the window, watching how the world passed by a little bit too fast made him resemble Sehun.

 

It wasn’t like a flashback Baekhyun doesn’t see himself in their positions, although he had to admit there was something strangely nostalgic about the sight unfolding before his eyes. How the shorter boy tugged at the unresponsive lads sleeve in attempts to get him to say something while they discussed their summer plans made Baekhyun wonder, “Were we like that too?” He remembered it all, the memories were still so vivid and fresh in his mind. It had been a few years - much too long - since he last snuck out past his bedtime to climb over the wall that separated his and Sehun’s house to throw rocks at the others window though he never really had to. Sehun had always been awake and waiting anyway.

 

“Ya, Oh Sehun. Wake. Up.” Baekhyun huffed, picking up a small pebble and tossing it with perfect accuracy towards the window just as it opened, only for it to hit his best friends temple with the same precision.

 

“Hyung, that hurt.” came a hushed protest just loud enough for Baekhyun to have heard.

 

“Your fault for keeping me waiting” Baekhyun called back, shrugging carelessly, the expression on his face far from apologetic.

 

Baekhyun remembered the tree house in Sehun’s backyard and how it had seemed to get smaller as the years passed by, but it had always been their not-so-secret spot. A quiet chuckle slipped past his lips at the memory of Kyungsoo practically force feeding them the cookies or cupcakes he had made. He had never failed to make them be the first to taste the new recipe he had tried it was a mystery just as it was a wonder how neither Sehun or himself had gained much weight during the holidays.

 

“Try it” Kyungsoo urged, beaming proudly as his eyes twinkled. He shoved a cookie into each of their hands before the shorter boy leaned in with his owl like eyes widened phenomenally in anticipation. “Well?”

 

“Hmm” Baekhyun hummed, his nose scrunched and lips pursed into a contorted expression as he took another generous bite. An expression of pure agony and suffering painted across his features, one that had Kyungsoo on edge.

 

“D-does it taste bad?” The shorter boy would stammer nervously before his eyes fixed themselves on Sehun who, didn’t really make it any better judging by his expression.

 

Baekhyun had been the obvious tease among the three about it even though Kyungsoo’s dishes had always tasted heavenly. Sehun used to be a silent eater by nature, he chewed slowly and carefully as if he would miss something while tasting or as if he was determined to name every ingredient Kyungsoo used to make the dish. Honestly, it had been ridiculous, because Kyungsoo had been an amazing cook either way, even back then.

 

“Can we have seconds?” came two voices, one filled to the brim with mischief and the other with obvious impressment.

 

Baekhyun adored how Kyungsoo’s worry would disintegrate instantly only to be replaced by a beautiful heart shaped smile that always stole across his features whenever he was complimented for his cooking. Baekhyun also loved how he would scamper off into the kitchen to get the rest while he and Sehun exchanged smiles.

 

They had known it well and so had Kyungsoo, it was only a matter of time really.

 

It came as no surprise to Baekhyun when Kyungsoo became one of the most renowned and respected chefs in Korea with his multiple restaurant chains all of which were booked full months in advance. He couldn’t have been happier for his friend who received constant praise for his skill by critics, magazines, and famous culinary blogs. Kyungsoo was well deserving, Baekhyun knew it better than anyone else.

 

In fact, Baekhyun remembered so much but so little at the same time, it was like some crucial parts were either foggy in his memory or missing – he would never admit to have forgotten them though. Whether it was because of the sight before him or because he had changed over the years, Baekhyun didn’t really know. Memories from one's childhood are truly something, thought the brunette as he exited the train following right behind the trio that took him down memory lane. He stopped himself on the platform, watching their fading backs arms thrown over each other's shoulders, a little skip in their steps with loud and boisterous chants of “School’s out! Karaoke! Barbeque!” and a lot of other things Baekhyun recalled having said himself. Baekhyun mentally bid them an exciting summer filled with lazier days before going his own way.


To him, a recollection of these memories were bittersweet, something pleasant tinged with the feeling of something that didn’t sit well – like a pebble which you can never find in your shoe poking at your foot whenever you walked. Baekhyun emitted an exasperated huff, shielding his eyes from the glaring rays of sunlight that probed mercilessly into his eyes with his arm. He continued the rest of the way to work on foot after putting on some shades, fishing them out of his bag, glad to have brought them. He couldn’t seem to bring himself to stray from the memories this afternoon because the weather itself reminded him of a certain tall, lanky and a daredevil of a boy named Sehun. He had been the rowdiest while Baekhyun used to be the sly one, and Kyungsoo? He had been the angel in between two devils. Sehun would dare himself to do the silliest things the most exceptional one being where he would run barefoot on the excruciatingly hot pavement down their street to the blue house by the corner before sprinting back to Baekhyun’s front porch. Just for the sake of proving how much of a man he was, it was preposterous.  

 

“Oh my god, it hurts” Sehun whined audibly, curling his toes “So, so bad” he added with pained grimace before sprawling him in all his barefooted glory on the grass in Baekhyun’s backyard.

 

“Stupid Sehun, what are you crazy?” Kyungsoo would scold, hands on his hips as he hovered over Sehun, both feet placed on either side of Sehun’s waist while he bent down. Baekhyun thought these were the only few moments in life when Kyungsoo could actually be taller than Sehun.

 

“It was. A dare and I’m a man so-” Sehun would start off in between pants only for his sentence to get cut short by Kyungsoo who wasn’t finished with giving Sehun a piece of his mind.

 

Needless to say, Sehun would whine about how much his feet hurt and how much he regretted doing what he did - when he clearly didn’t - for the rest of the day and Kyungsoo would never stop scolding him being the mother hen and all. At times, Sehun would smile that sickeningly innocent smile of his to try and get spared. Baekhyun had known better though and he would feign a cough or two into a balled up fist in attempts to stifle a round of laughter while Sehun had complained even louder once his tactic failed just to annoy Kyungsoo.

 

Pleasant times.

 

Old times.

 

Times he wished he could return to sometimes, just to treasure them a little bit more.

 

After all, precious memories could only be made for so long.

 

With the people you wanted to create them with, that is.

 

Baekhyun felt a little old when he thought of it that way, but he wasn’t. Twenty four was hardly a number nowadays and the brunette still had his whole life ahead of him. It was way too early to be talking about wrinkles, gray hairs, the good old days and crow’s feet. In retrospect he was still no different from how he was back in high-school. He was still a student, still considered a child by some though he worked, shed blood sweat and tears to have a roof over his head, to have food in his stomach, to pay for college and his overpriced tuition fees.

 

On the other hand, aside from Baekhyun himself, both Kyungsoo and Sehun were born with silver spoons in their mouths heirs to some of the most influential companies in Korea, it was quite a contrast. One would have thought that there would have been conflict at some point in their lives, especially on Baekhyun’s part, but there was never any bitter feelings. Not when two of the most supposedly wealthy kids in Korea would deny the luxury of driving to school in their cars that probably cost millions just so that they could walk all the way with Baekhyun instead. Sehun’s parents were quite insistent that their son live a normal life, going as far as to move into a humble quiet neighbourhood with Kyungsoo settled down a few blocks away at a villa. He used to get a lot of judgmental looks from his peers or even complete strangers who thought he had befriended the two for his own selfish reasons. Baekhyun had felt insecure, small and hurt at times, but Kyungsoo and Sehun who had known better were always there to console him.

 

To let him know that they didn’t believe in empty words.

 

That they believed in the genuinity of their friendship.

 

They never cared about their social differences.

 

Why start now?

 

Maybe, just maybe it wasn’t the best way to occupy himself on his way to work, by thinking about times that were long gone, buried deep into the past and probably long forgotten. He couldn’t help himself though, he treasured them too much for his own good, because they shaped him into who he was now. The walk from the subway station to the cafe he worked at was short and uneventful, but it was long enough to make those irritating blotches invade his vision and make him feel like he would have gone up in flames if he stood out under the sun a second longer. He smiled and heaved a relieved sigh however, when the cool air from the air conditioner encased him along with the familiar, rich aroma of coffee and lasagne. He slipped off his shades, passing by the cakes on perfect display behind the stainless glass - because anything short of perfect would have their boss Minseok, steal a digit or two from their paycheck - before he hurried behind the counter.

 

Baekhyun slipped through the curtain that separated the actual cafe from the kitchen, dropping his bag onto the coat rack by the office door before taking his apron from the hook where it rested just below a piece of duct tape with his name scribbled on it. It was a simple uniform which only consisted a black apron to signify his actual position in the cafe much to his relief. After all, it wasn’t the norm for baristas to be permitted to wear their casual clothes while working. Working as a barista wasn’t the most extravagant job nor was it recommended and it wasn’t like he had to shoulder the burden of paying the rent on his own, it was a shared apartment for a reason. His boyfriend earned considerably, but Chanyeol was well aware Baekhyun wasn’t the type to sit around and do nothing despite the fact his lover was willing to pay for their living expenses. The thought simply left a bad taste in Baekhyun’s mouth and despite having to squeeze studying into the spots without work or college, the brunette managed fairly well.

 

Serving frozen coffee was one of the best perks of the cafe and though most cafe’s would be abandoned in the summer heat, this one had a throng of customers coming in and out. Most of them were either business people from around the block or students in dire need of caffeine in their system.

 

“You’re early” Jongdae greeted when Baekhyun slid into his spot beside the older boy who at the moment was skilfully twirling a cup in his hand to paint a small leaf into the milk foam he had poured. Jongdae tried to sound serious given how much he was concentrating, but there was a kittenish smile on his lips that turned up the corners like it always did and Baekhyun gave his friend a bright grin.

 

“Well, I know you’re suffering without me” Baekhyun smiled in that according to Jongdae “Disgustingly sweet" way of his while batting his long lashes for effect to which Jongdae snorted. He pushed the cup across the counter towards the waiting customer with a nod. The raven haired girl looked down at the cup and then at Jongdae as if she wanted to say something. Before she could though, Jongdae cut her off with a smile brighter than the light of day and that alone was sufficient to have the girl blink rapidly, blush profusely and to turn on her heels before stiffly joining her giggling friends at one of the tables in the far corner. Baekhyun watched with one hip leaning against the counter, accompanied by a small and utterly bemused smile of his own. The brunette reached for a cup so he could prepare the Espresso base for a Latte Macchiato before he questioned with a snicker: “Jongdae, there’s gay written all over your face i wonder what’d happen if your regulars accidentally found out about it one day?”

 

Jongdae smacked Baekhyun upside his head almost gently before retaliating with a scoff and a shake of his head. “Yeah sure, you make it sound like as if you’ve been on a steady diet of s and s your whole life” The auburn haired male didn’t wait for Baekhyun’s comeback though, because he had to tend to another customer but Jongdae did spare the brunette a victorious and evidently satisfied smirk. “Yeah, yeah” Baekhyun huffed under his breath, defeated. Jongdae one and himself zero, a great start to the day. The blonde gave Jongdae an okay when was told what he needed to prepare. Baekhyun proceeded to plate a slice of Black Forest Cake before calling for the next in line. Baekhyun had his fair share of part-time jobs, but this was by far the best one because for once he was having fun while working no matter how tiring it got at times. With Jongdae around, as long as he had his best friend, Baekhyun would walk to the ends of the earth if that’s what needed to be done.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

He didn’t know what was better -- or worse for that matter.

 

London was humid at this time of the year, too hot, full and the streets were much too narrow for his liking. The buildings were aged with time and no matter how renowned the educational facility you attended was, the air conditioners occasionally rebelled. Students had been suffering through the last week of university, slaving over books and papers, sweating while their teachers struggled to make them listen.

 

London or England in general was assumed to be a country that often saw rain but that wasn’t entirely true and daily showers were obligatory even though he had lived in London long enough to know how to escape the heat. He had learned to survive, cope with the weather and the stuffed feeling of streets with way too much traffic and people, much of it on his own. It wasn’t that he wasn’t accustomed to it, Seoul was no different really, but it wasn’t the same -- he longed for and missed the wind in the streets.

 

London wasn't bad, in fact, it was great with all it’s tiny streets and narrow roads, but to him it never had and will be home. Not when he had left everything he ever cared about for abandon, forced into a car and then into a plane only to be dropped into a foreign country he had to get settled into -- with their language, culture and behavior.

 

How was this any different though?

 

Wasn’t it the same?

 

How he had to bid goodbye to the people he had spent the last few years of his youth with. Those whom he had come to love and cherish, though a little less than some others. He stared out the window of the plane. He still felt a bit hungover from the farewell party the night before his plane took off took him away from a country he was never able to fit into in the first place. He could still smell the cigarettes, see the empty bottles of wine littering the place, he could feel the kisses pressed to his cheeks by friends who knew how to get a little too comfortable, he could still see the girls crying while waving him goodbye at the airport, he could still feel the high fives and handshakes that were a tad too strong from the guys on his palms.

 

He was leaving people, that meant so much to him.

 

Again.

 

Even though they meant a little less to him than some others.

 

He felt like a man who went to serve in the army, coming back home after god knows how long. He stepped through the sliding glass doors after collecting his luggage, a suitcase that wheeled behind him and a bag which he threw over his shoulder. It was all he needed really, he could buy himself anything else he needed and he wasn’t too keen on having everything he owned shipped back to Korea from London. It might have been a hassle but if he thought about it, back to Korea maybe.

 

He pondered over just how much had changed over the years that he had been gone for and then he pondered over the weight of his own question, while walking through the gate. It was almost instant how he switched back to his mother tongue even after almost five years of speaking in a foreign language when he handed in his passport. The words came out a little rough though.

 

“Been away for long?” the elderly guard behind the glass joked lightheartedly before returning his passport with what passed for a small smile.

 

Too long,

 

“A few years, it’s good to be back” he answered, masking the bitterness in his tone.

 

“Welcome back then” the guard added with a polite tip of his head and soon, he was out of the airport and then the reality of the situation dawned on him.

 

Was here really back?

 

Even when no one he knew was waiting for him?

 

Even when there was no one impatient for his arrival only to shower him with hugs or talks of how much they missed him when he returned?

 

He pulled a pair of branded, Dior sunglasses from his pocket before putting them on with an inaudible sigh. “It’s good to be back, yeah” he muttered, eyes finding the skyline of the city he was born in behind the slightest sheen of smog. It certainly was home though, when he saw a smartly dressed man in black hurrying his way suit neatly pressed and a set of car keys in hand that those with a good eye for cars would notice, belonged to a sleek black BMW, one which was parked behind a cab. The man took his luggage from him without even being commanded to do so as he offered a deep full ninety degree bow. This was where he belonged.

 

“Welcome back, Mister Oh. We have been anticipating your arrival”

 

AUTHORS NOTE: hello there to all you dear readers, first of all thank you so much to all those who subscribed to this story even though we didn't really publish a chapter. This story is very precious to both authors so please subscribe, upvote or leave a comment. We would love to know what you think, please look forward to the next chapter.