Chapter Four

Passion

 

Jungkook was laughing, his face drenched in sweat and his heart beating rapidly. He hadn’t felt this good in a while. Jimin and Taehyung joined him on the wooden bench as they tried to regain their breaths.

“That was really good,” Jimin exclaimed with a smile. “I think I need to add in some more steps near the second chorus, though.”

“Nah, I think you nailed the choreography. We just need to work harder to get it right,” Taehyung reassured him.

The dance studio had fallen into silence, a stark contrast to how it had been for the past two hours. Since they’d gotten to school, the three boys were lost in music, following the sharp beats of the song with Jimin’s instructions. Repeating and rehearsing non-stop. It was like a trip down memory lane. When they were just starting school their old gym teacher, Mr. Kwang, introduced them to the dance club. They had fallen in love instantly, spending both their spare time and class times practicing and perfecting all their dance moves. They even thought they’d start entering competitions or go professional one day, but that all stopped when the dance club was shut down. After that day, they never saw Mr. Kwang or danced in school again.

“Anybody else thirsty?” Jungkook asked.

“Yeah,” the two replied.

“Well, it’s lunch time now. We can head to the cafeteria, grab a drink, then come back and finish off?”

“Sounds good,” Jimin agreed and they all made their way out of the abandoned building.

The boys could feel a few stares from the female students as they scaled the crowded lunch room. It was expected though, so they either enjoyed it or ignored it.

“Can I get an orange juice, please?” Taehyung asked the serving lady.

Jimin stepped forward. “Make that three.”

After collecting their refreshments, they each took a few deep gulps, sighing in contentment before wandering back towards the other side of school. Jungkook and Jimin were listening attentively as Taehyung rattled on about some girl he met the night before. His facial expressions and excited gestures were enough to have the other boys in fits of laughter. Jungkook looked up for a split second and felt his face pale when he saw a figure in the distance.

That looks like… A cold sensation spread all over his body as forgotten memories flashed through his mind. The stranger was already far off in the opposite direction, so he couldn’t be sure...

Taehyung was busy telling some joke when he suddenly stopped and looked at the younger boy. “Hey, you listening? This is the best part.”

“Y – yeah… I just thought I saw somebody I knew.”

The other boys looked up but the person in question had already disappeared.

Jimin raised an eyebrow. “Hmm, we should’ve grabbed some food as well. Seems like Jungkookie’s hallucinating now.”

“Shut up!” he protested, forcing a laugh.

They continued on their way, discussing all the parts they needed to improve with the dance, but Jungkook was struggling to pay attention. A shiver ran down his spine.

It looked exactly like him…

 

 

Jaera’s mom was busy preparing dinner when there was a knock on the door. Turning the stove down, she shuffled over to answer it. A familiar face greeted her, black hair smoothed back in a ponytail and red lipstick framing her smile.

“Haeri!”

“Hey, Jaehee,” the other woman said. “Smells lovely in here. Are the kids home yet?”

After glancing at the clock, she shook her head. “They should be back in about an hour. Come in.”

The two made their way to the kitchen and Jaehee turned the kettle on to make some tea.

“So how’s the housing arrangement going? Any progress?” Haeri asked, a glint of amusement in her eyes.

“Well, not yet,” Jaehee replied, leaning against the counter. “They’ve already had two fights since he got here yesterday, but it’s early days.”

“Hmm,” Haeri hummed. “Maybe we need to really get things moving. I was thinking... You know how in summer camps and things like that, they have team building exercises?”

“Yeah,” Jaehee replied, placing tea bags into white ceramic mugs.

“Well, these exercises are supposed to force people to work together to overcome a certain challenge. Why don’t we try that with the kids?”

Jaehee smiled in curiosity. “I like the way you think, Haeri. But what could we do?”

Haeri her chin thoughtfully. “Leave that part to me...”

 

***

 

Jaera was in an exceptionally good mood as she neared her house. Apart from the interesting conversation she’d overheard earlier and a day of not seeing Jungkook’s face around school, she’d stopped by the records store as well to apply for the job. She didn’t know if they were going to hire her, but Chanyeol said he’d put in a good word for her. If she did get it, she’d be able to spend more time away from home and away from Jungkook.

A heavenly smell greeted her when she entered her house. She slipped off her shoes and threw her bag onto the sofa.

“Mom, I’m home!” she called out.

“I’m in the kitchen, Jaera.”

She started to make her way to the kitchen when Jungkook came stalking into the room, his eyebrows furrowed. He purposefully bumped her shoulder as he walked over to the couch.

Jaera just laughed. “What’s up your ?”

“Shut up,” he muttered back, switching the TV on.

Jaera shrugged, ignoring him. She was surprised to see Jungkook’s mom sitting at the table when she walked into the kitchen.

“Oh, hey Miss. Jeon. How are you?”

“I’m good. How’s school going?” Haeri replied, sipping her tea.

“Just great...” she replied, eyeing the pot of food sitting on the stove. “Mom, I’ve got some news.”

“So do I. You go first.”

She spun around and noticed her mom and Haeri eyeing her with a hint of a smirk on their faces. “Um... I applied for a job. It’s at this really cool record store near school. I don’t know if I’ve got it yet, but it seems promising.”

“Wow! Good for you,” her mother praised.

“So what’s up? Why are you both sitting there like you’re planning to assassinate the president or something?”

The two women laughed and her mother gestured for her to sit.

This doesn’t look good, Jaera thought. Last time her mother asked her to sit down, it was to tell her Jungkook was moving in. She cautiously slipped into the chair and leaned back.

“Please don’t tell me you’re forcing me to sleep in the same room as Jungkook now... No offence, Miss. Jeon.”

“No, no,” her mother assured, with a laugh. “This has nothing to do with him.”

Thank God...

“Well, it’s partly to do with him.”

... Never mind.

“Do you remember your cousin, Miyoung?” her mother asked.

“Oh... Miyoung? How could I forget that little...” She cleared . “... Little ball of sunshine,” she said sarcastically.

Her mother rolled her eyes. “Well, your Aunty invited me and Haeri to a cruise this weekend, but she needs somebody to look after Miyoung...”

Jaera nodded slowly until realization hit her. “You’re not suggesting that I... look after her?”

“No, Jaera. I’m not suggesting you look after her, I’m telling you to look after her.”

“Hell no!” Jaera protested. “She’s the worst behaved kid in the world. Do you not remember the time she threw all my underwear out on the front yard? Or the time she poured glue in my hair? How on earth do you expect me to look after her all alone?!”

“You won’t be alone. Jungkook will be here to help.”

No wonder he was in a ty mood. Jaera sighed and rubbed her forehead. “Jesus, mom. First, you force me to live with the guy... again, no offence Miss. Jeon, and now you’re making me look after the devil’s daughter. I have plans this weekend, anyways.”

“Reschedule. I’m not taking no for an answer, Jae. Think of it as work experience, it’ll help you get that job you applied for.”

“Sure it will...” Jaera sighed and all that happiness she was feeling earlier instantly disappeared.

“Well, I’m glad that’s settled,” her mom said, totally oblivious to Jaera’s glare. “Are you hungry?”

“Lost my appetite,” Jaera replied sternly. “I’ll be up in my room.”

With that, she stomped her way upstairs, leaving her mother to shake her head slightly. “My daughter’s as stubborn as they come.”

“Seems like she has more in common with Jungkook than she thinks,” Haeri added.

 

“Yeah, I’m really sorry Hye. I don’t have any other choice.” Jaera said into the phone as she traced circles on her duvet cover.

“Don’t worry about it. We’ll just postpone it to next weekend.”

Jaera replied with a deflated grunt.

“Or... I could come over and help you look after this so called she-devil?”

“Wait, you’d do that?”

“Yeah, why not? At least that way we can still say we hung out... even if we’ll probably be running after Miyoung half the time.”

Jaera smiled gratefully. “Only if you’re sure.”

“Of course. I’ll come over early and we can watch some movies with her or something.”

“Yay! Thank you, thank you!” Jaera said, sitting up straight. “I feel so much better now.”

“No problem...” Hyesoon replied. “By the way, I’ve been thinking about what you told me earlier. About the guy you saw at lunch.”

“Oh, yeah?”

“I really wanna find out who it is. Like, I’m so curious. So starting next week, we should do some digging around.”

“I don’t know, Hye. It’s really none of our business.”

“Come on! This could be the story of the year...”

“That’s if  there even is a story.”

“And that’s why we’ve gotta find out more...” Hyesoon insisted.

“I... I guess we could try... but if you’re planning on breaking rules then count me out.”

“Course not. I work for the school paper, remember? So I know people who know people. Ah, this is so exciting!”

Jaera laughed at her friend’s never-ending curiosity. “Okay, well I better go. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

“Yep, see ya.”

Jaera lay back in bed, twirling her phone in her fingers. She had to admit, the mystery ‘back-of-the-gym’ conversation was pretty intriguing, but it was the least of her worries. Why would her mom even dream of leaving Jungkook and Jaera alone this weekend? The whole point of him staying here was so she could supervise, but it’s only been two days and she’s already planning on abandoning them. What if Jaera suddenly decided to murder Jungkook and bury him in the backyard? Her mom wouldn’t even be there to stop her. Sometimes she could be such a puzzle.

Seeing as she wasn’t exactly the best with kids, she did feel more at ease knowing Hyesoon would be helping her. With her best friend there, it wouldn’t even feel like babysitting. They could just force Miyoung to watch movies with them and Jaera would be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. And then she cringed when realization slapped her in the face. Jungkook would be there. Which meant Hyesoon would find out that he lives with her...

.

Without even thinking over it properly, she sprinted out of her room and straight downstairs. The TV was blaring with a soccer match and Jungkook was lounging on the corner of the couch. She skidded to a halt right in front of the TV, causing the boy to frown.

“Can you move?”

She stepped aside, briefly surprising Jungkook because for once, she actually did what he told her. “I need a favour,” she said quickly.

“So? Do you think I care?” he said, focusing on the game.

Jaera glanced in the direction of the kitchen. She didn’t want her mom to hear their conversation, so she took the space next to Jungkook on the sofa.

“Listen,” she said softly, leaning closer to him. “I need you to not be here this weekend.”

He rolled his eyes and finally looked at her. “But we have to babysit.”

“You haven’t met Miyoung. She’s like... worse than you, which is saying something. Trust me, you don’t wanna be here.”

“Trust you? Yeah, right. You’re probably just trying to get me into trouble.”

Jaera rubbed her forehead. “For once, I am doing you a favor. Just don’t be here this weekend. Go hang out with... Taehyung or whatever.”

He eyed her and shook his head. Like he was gonna listen to her. If she was planning on sabotaging him, she was making it way too obvious. “I know what you’re doing, Jaera,” he said bluntly. “It’s not gonna work.”

She almost lost it. She literally had to force her hands to stay still because all she wanted to do was bang his stupid head into something. “Jungkook... Please, I am begging you.”

“Like I said, do you think I care?”

He smirked and turned back to the TV. The simple action destroyed the last of Jaera’s self-control. She knew it was a  bad move, she knew she shouldn’t do it, she knew it would only cause more problems but she couldn’t help it. She lunged forward and pinned Jungkook’s neck against the arm of the sofa.

“Why can’t you just listen to me?!” she muttered quietly, so nobody would hear.

“No,” he choked out, kneeing her in the stomach.

She lost her balance for only a moment and Jungkook took the chance to shove her back. He held her firmly against the sofa while she thrashed her legs around trying to force him off. It was a struggle for both of them since they had to try to be quiet. Fighting now was riskier than ever since both their moms were in the house.

“Get off,” she growled under her breath.

“No. Just... stop” He trapped her legs under his and forced her deeper into the couch by her shoulders.

“What’s wrong with you?!” she whispered angrily.

She glared at him but he didn’t say anything. His eyes held that same menacing stare she had seen when she walked into detention and she had no way of deciphering it. She hated being like this. Like she had no control, like she was weak, like she had lost.

Finally he shook his head and leaned down so close she could feel his breath on her neck.

“Remember, Jaera. I always win.”

---