Chapter Eighteen

Passion

 

“God damn it!”

Jungkook jumped back as the glass fell, almost in slow motion, and shattered against the kitchen tiles. The sound was piercing. He quickly looked up at Jaera who was still standing there like a deer in headlights, her hands grasping her shirt. After a quiet moment, she jumped down and started scraping the pieces of glass into a pile.

“A little warning next time would be nice,” she muttered. “I almost had a heart attack.”

He walked over to help her clean up the mess. “I thought you would have heard me walking in,” he reasoned.

She sent him a quick glare and was about to argue, but instead she sighed and stood up. “Yeah, I probably should have.” She grabbed a dustpan and brush. “I guess my mind was on other things.”

He watched her kneel down and scoop the mess up, her hair falling to cover her expression. “Nah, I shouldn’t have walked in like that.”

“It’s okay.” She emptied the dustpan into the bin. “It’ll probably take me a while until I stop being so jumpy. And I might just steer clear of any glassware from now on.”

He grinned seeing her cheering up a little. “How ‘bout I get the drinks instead? Just go wait in the lounge, I think there’s a movie starting,” he suggested, dusting off his hands.

Jaera nodded slightly and obediently left. The living room was dark, save for the TV playing in the background. Even though Jaera had protested, Jungkook didn’t see the need to leave all the lights in the house on. After rummaging through the couch for the remote, she dived into a pile of blankets and cushions, wrapping herself up tight.

“There’s a comedy on soon,” she hollered to Jungkook. “It’s called Bad Neighbours.”

He emerged from the kitchen with a packet of chips and two glasses of soda balanced between his hands. “A comedy should help lift your spirits.”

She was about to exit out of the TV guide on screen when another movie title caught her eye. “Holy , I haven’t seen this since I was little! And it just started.”

She immediately switched the channel as Jungkook passed her a drink and took a seat beside her.

Jeepers Creepers?” he said apprehensively. “What’s this about?”

A wide grin was already on her face as the opening credits played. “It’s about this creature who comes out every 23 years for 23 days and hunts people to eat. I love it,” she said, shoving some chips in .

“That’s gross,” he said. “Why would you wanna watch this? You’re already scared enough.”

“Because this movie isn’t scary. It’s fun!” she stated, shrugging her shoulders.

He rolled his eyes at her, but she was only focused on the screen. She looked like a psycho serial killer with that huge smile and hungry gaze. The movie was set in some sort of deserted highway. A school bus had broken down in the middle of the night, and ‘the creeper’ was slowly hunting down students one by one. This creature had black, magma-like skin, scales, talons on its hands and feet and a pair of giant wings. Jungkook thought it was disgusting, but Jaera was having the time of her life.

She’d always been a fan of horror movies, one thing Jungkook would never understand. Shouldn’t girls be scared of that kind of thing? Aren’t those the types of movies guys make girls watch so they freak out and have a reason to cuddle them? But here he was, uneasily watching the grotesque images flash across the screen, while Jaera was practically laughing with excitement whenever someone died.

“So weird,” he mumbled.

“Hm?” Her eyes were still on the screen.

“Nothing.” Scrunching his face at another victim’s mangled body, he pulled out his phone and silently played a game. Even though he could still hear the screams and desperate cries of the actors in the movies, at least he couldn’t see what was happening. Although, somehow that made it worse.

About an hour had already passed. Jungkook’s eyes hurt from staring at his phone for so long. He rubbed them and glanced up at Jaera who was still wide awake.

“Oh my God, this is the best part.” She repeatedly hit his arm to get his attention, grabbing his shirt in excitement and pulling him forward. “Look, look, look!”

He forced himself to watch at the same moment ‘the creeper’ stood up with a metal pole somehow lodged right through his head. He grasped the pole on both sides and tore it out, ripping half of his head off. The black, leather-like chunk fell to the ground with a thud, making Jungkook’s stomach turn. The creature then flew off, vanishing into the night sky.

“,” he said, wanting to look away.

Jaera grabbed him even closer. “No! Keep watching!”

He really didn’t know how the girl who couldn’t even be in her own house without the lights on just a while ago was able to enjoy a scary movie as much as this. She was crazy for it. He felt sick.

He tried moving away, but Jaera was still unknowingly holding him in place by his shirt. . Think of something else, he repeated in his head as he watched the screen. Rainbows, penguins waddling on ice, caramel cheesecake.

It didn't work and despite Jaera's attempts to make him keep watching, he couldn’t stand it anymore. Feeling the urge to puke or run away, he quickly made up an excuse to leave.

“I’m gonna grab some more snacks. Do you want anything?”

Jaera didn’t take her eyes off the screen. “Nope, I’m fine.”

He sighed and made his way to the kitchen, desperately trying to get the images of the Jeepers Creepers monster out of his head.

 

---

 

A shiny black car sat in the darkness, like a predator waiting to attack. The driver lit up a cigarette and inhaled slowly. His eyes stayed focused on the house. He couldn't see much movement, apart from the shifting light of the television against the window. He took another puff of his smoke and let the ash fall outside the car like poisonous snowflakes. He was alone, with nothing but clouds of smoke and his twisted thoughts to keep him company.

He caught a glimpse of his reflection in the rear view mirror, half his face shrouded in shadows. He was getting too old for this. Sometimes he questioned his own actions. Why was he doing it?

His phone began ringing and when he saw the caller ID, he felt like his question was being answered.

"Yeah?"

The voice on the other end was slightly muffled. "Are you there now?"

"Right where you told me." Inhale. Exhale. "They aren't doing much. Do you want me to get a closer look?"

"No, don't Just keep watching."

"Okay. Her mom shouldn't be home for a couple of hours. I followed the girl home and I think it scared her enough."

"Were you seen?"

"No..."

There was an irritated grunt. "You better be god damned sure, because if you screw this plan up for me, I'll make you suffer."

His eyes fell onto his reflection again, staring at the dark bruise under his eye. "I won't. I promise."

The line went dead. He threw his unfinished cigarette out the window. His own dark gray eyes constantly watched him from the mirror.

 

---

 

Jaera whined in dissatisfaction when the closing credits began to play on the screen. She rubbed her eyes and stretched out along the sofa. That’s when she realized Jungkook hadn’t come back from the kitchen since he left half an hour ago. She quickly turned the TV off, sprinted over to the light switch so she wouldn’t be trapped in the dark by herself, and followed the sound of muffled singing all the way to the backyard.

She crept closer to the back door, making sure to stay hidden in the shadows, and peeked through a tiny gap. Her jaw dropped. She thought it was music she was hearing, but it wasn’t.

It was Jungkook.

He was singing.

And he sounded like melted chocolate.

Her breath stopped as she silently listened. She didn’t even know Jungkook could sing. He was sitting at the swings, his back turned to her, with his headphones in and his voice playing out into the night. It wasn’t very loud. Jaera yearned to hear more, but she was afraid of his reaction.

Braving the cold and the consequences, she tiptoed across her backyard until she was only a meter away from him. His voice melted around her. It was so delicate, yet so heavy with emotions. She leant against the cold metal of the swing set and closed her eyes.

Memories hit her all at once. Chicken soup, snow pressed up against her face, laughter, her dad handing her flowers, a birthday cake, rain streaming past her window, and Jungkook. One by one she saw everything she and Jungkook had done together since childhood, flashing in her mind like tarnished photos. Except all of these memories were happy ones. Some she hadn’t thought about it since they’d happened. There were no tears or fighting. Only smiles and the warm feeling of friendship filling her stomach. It’s like she had been so blinded by her hate for Jungkook, that she’d forgotten everything he’d actually done for her.

 

He was the one who taught her to ride a bike.

“I’m only teaching you so you don’t annoy me anymore.”

He was the one who ran over to her house on rainy days with blankets and canisters of soup to make sure she wouldn’t get sick.

“If you get sick, who will I tease when I’m bored?”

When nobody remembered her eighth birthday, he bought her one of her favorite books.

“Maybe if you read more, you won’t be so stupid.”

He was the only one who stayed by her side after her father died.

“You know how ugly you look when you cry? Stop it.”

 

Standing there in the shivering cold, her bare feet frozen in the damp grass, and listening to Jungkook’s sweet voice, a wave of realization came over her. All those years he was taking care of her. Even if he went about it in the wrong way to protect his pride, he was always there for her. She just couldn’t get past everything he did to piss her off to see it.

Even tonight, he stayed with her because she was scared. He offered to walk her home every day so she wouldn’t feel so afraid anymore. He carried her home when she’d hurt her foot, even though he hated her guts. He tried to keep her out of his personal issues so she wouldn’t get in trouble with his own enemies. He ran after her when she was upset, even though he was mad at her for following him.

He cared for her. In his own way, he protected her.

She was so caught up in the shock of what she was realizing, that she hadn’t noticed Jungkook had stopped singing and was staring at her with confused eyes.

“Are you okay?” he asked, taking his headphones out.

She blanked. Her face was pale, her eyes wide. She was looking right at him, at this boy she held a grudge against for years, in a completely new light.

His gaze held so much depth as he looked at her. His eyes were as black as the very darkness that hung in the air. They were full of concern. They were filled with familiarity and security. Suddenly, she admired those eyes.

“Jaera?” He stood up and walked over to her. Moving closer than she liked, he peered right at her face, his brows knitted together. “What happened? Did something happen to you?”

He cares.

“Seriously, what’s wrong?”

His voice was low. He was so close that his breath hit her face every time he spoke. Didn’t it make him uncomfortable? She couldn’t speak. Her focus was taken by his mouth that was so reachable at that moment. The thoughts that invaded her mind were enough for her to shiver in fear. She was scared of what was happening to her right now. It was all unknown.

Slowly, he reached up and held her arms, still frowning. Her heart was beating faster and faster. She wanted to run away. She wanted to stay. She didn’t know what she wanted.

“Are you cold?” he asked. “Let’s go inside.”

Without thinking properly, she grabbed the front of his hoodie. “I’m sorry,” she croaked out.

His body stilled. He looked down at her, watching the way her eyes searched his face for an answer to a question he didn’t know.

I'm sorry for pushing you away that night. I'm sorry for ignoring your feelings. 

His eyes turned black when he saw that familiar hurt expression cross her face, even if it was only for a second. “What do you mean?”

“Jungkook, I’m sorry,” she whispered, unknowingly pulling him closer.

I'm sorry for blaming you. I'm sorry for taking all my anger out on you. 

She had no idea what she was doing. Her body was moving without her permission, searching for an end to the turmoil going on inside her head.

The air had turned completely silent. The chilly night fought hard around them, but they could only sense each other.

She gently pulled him until he was only a breath away from her, and Jungkook made no attempt to move.

The more he observed the way she grasped him, the more he understood. Something inside him told him to stay, to hold her and to not let go. Still staring into her conflicted eyes, his hands dropped to her sides and cautiously closed the gap between their bodies.

She felt a surge of comfort at the sudden contact, the sensation of Jungkook embracing her bringing her closer to what she wanted. 

Jaera shut her eyes. “I’m sorry,” she whispered again.

I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.

“It’s okay,” he breathed against her lips.

He was so close. But not close enough.

Jungkook leant down until their lips were almost touching. Heat crawled beneath his skin. She was breathing rapidly, impatiently. When he felt her clutch his shirt tighter, her eyes still closed, he swallowed any breath she had left and puller her into the kiss completely.  

She froze and melted all at the same time. She couldn’t even feel the cold anymore. She couldn’t feel anything except his warm, soft lips on hers and his strong arms wrapped around her waist.

She tugged on his shirt like it was her only lifeline, afraid her legs would give out when he moved his lips slowly and expertly against . He could taste her uncertainty. He embraced her even tighter, kissing her more delicately, softly dragging her out of her fear and into something she never wanted to let go of.

He gently pressed himself closer into her, destroying all her hesitance. The sparks that lay in the pit of her stomach ignited into flames, blazing strong between the both of them. She slid her arms around his neck, burying herself in his touch, wanting to be wrapped up in his warmth forever. Feelings she never thought she had were now burning strong inside her.

She was craving him. His touch, his kiss, his embrace, everything.

Not once did she think about the hate she once harbored for him, or the pain he’d caused her. Any anger she thought she had towards him was replaced by something better, something that made her heart feel light in her chest.

Jungkook himself hadn’t realized how badly he wanted that moment until he had to pull away to catch his breath. The second his eyes met hers again everything became real. Their breaths were ragged, mixing together as they stood still and silent.

He pecked her lips briefly once more before leaning his forehead against her shoulder.

She shut her eyes. Slow breaths and rapid heartbeats. “Whatever you do, don’t let me go.”

“I would never.” Jungkook softly said into her neck. “As long as you want, I’ll stay.”

With that, she buried her face into his chest and let him hold her until all the confusion and adrenaline had subsided in her heart. Her world wouldn’t be the same without him in it, no matter how crazy and unsettling he made it.

Jaera smiled.

She needed Jungkook in her life.

 

Of that she was certain.