Chapter Twenty Three

Passion

 

Jungkook woke up in a cold sweat yet again. His lamp was still on, sitting where a pile of notes was gathered. Its light fought the sun’s rays that were now blaring through his bedroom window.

He rubbed his weary eyes. It felt like he hadn’t slept at all even though the time on his phone read 8:14 am.

“,” he croaked, realizing he was late for school.

Still, he didn’t move an inch, feeling weighed down by exhaustion. He knew he had to keep a good record for his classes, but he just didn’t care enough at that point.

What’s one sick day? He thought.

Stretching, he slowly rose from his bed. His attention was caught by the notes sitting on his desk. Some were crumpled, some neatly folded. All held the same black ink that bled at the edges and made his stomach unwillingly turn.

You’ll find out who I am soon enough. By then, it’ll be too late.

An eye for an eye.

Remember what you did to me. Now it’s your turn.

It was like a continuous game that Jungkook didn’t know the rules for every time he found another one. They were always strategically left in places only he would find them, like his locker or sometimes even his school bag. No matter how hard he wracked his brain, he couldn’t be certain who was sending them. Or why.

He felt like he was being targeted, and all he could do was wait for the bullets to hit.

That was the thing, though. They never came.

The threats written on the notes remained just that and waiting for them to materialize was pure torture. And to add to his anxiety, he couldn’t stop thinking about Jaera. It had been two days since he last saw her at the restaurant when she’d refused to talk to him properly.

His heart stopped, remembering the fear in her eyes and how helpless she’d looked running away from him.

Why would she run from him?

It was almost as confusing as her admitting she liked him in the first place.

When did his life become so cluttered?

“Screw this.”

He got out of bed and shrugged on a black hoodie, planning ways to fill his day with as many distractions from the notes and Jaera as he could.

But his attempts were useless and Jaera’s face stayed etched in the back of his mind all day.

 

---

 

Hours bled into each other and night fell.

Jungkook had taken his sketchbook down to the wharf earlier for some much-needed fresh air. The views the bay side offered him were breath-taking as always. An endless sky stretched above him, seagulls soared along the wind and the ocean rocked by gently.

Everything moved in perfect rhythm, never breaking a step.

He’d managed to fill ten pages with different scenes he’d caught throughout his time there, his favorite being one of a little girl exploring the rocks at the edge of the water. He was able to perfectly capture her smile seeing as it never left her face. He’d carefully traced the way her black hair fell over her shoulders and shook in the wind. The curious glint in her eyes.

As he packed up his sketchbook, he took one last glance at the picture, at the little girl, and felt his heart swell.

Before he could change his mind, he stuffed his book into his bag and started running.

 

---

 

Jaera woke from her nap, a little disoriented when she saw the night sky filling the window beside her bed. After catching up with Hyesoon and having her mind melted by everything that was going on at school and with the investigation, the latter left so she could get some rest.

It was like a massive reality check seeing her best friend, though. Amongst all the disarray she was feeling with Jungkook, there was still some normality in her life.

“Are you sure you’re okay”? Hyesoon had asked, noting Jaera’s constant spacing out.

“Yeah,” she replied. “I feel much better now seeing you. I feel like things haven’t been… making sense lately. But you’re bringing me back to Earth.”

Hyesoon just raised an eyebrow. “Not making sense, huh? It wouldn’t have anything to do with a certain childhood enemy, would it?”

“Maybe.”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to say anything, but,” the girl gave her a reassuring smile. “Let me just say, I think things are gonna be okay now. I can feel it.”

Jaera hoped she was right.

Life was too blurry at the moment. Whenever she thought of Jungkook, of her feelings, it was like a thick fog was clouding her mind. She couldn’t see things properly. She couldn’t figure it out.

Remembering her confession to Taehyung, she wondered why she’d said that. At the time, it was what felt right.

She knew for sure she didn’t hate him anymore. But, she’d endured 11 years of being his enemy and wanting nothing to with him, so it was a struggle trying to imagine it being a different way now. Her heart felt like it was burning.

Her initial assumptions that being in hospital would help clear things up were wrong and all she felt now was restless and bored. Sure, she was allowed to walk around the hospital building, but the entire place was so thick with misery and loneliness, it only made her feel worse. Her nap had left her with so much more energy than she should have at that time of night.

If only she could get out of there.

A nurse stepped in briefly, cheerily telling her she’d be ready to go home tomorrow morning seeing as she was much better now.

“Can’t I just go home tonight?” Jaera asked.

The nurse shook her head firmly. “Sorry, Miss Lim. We have strict policies and our patients are always discharged after a full night’s rest.”

“But…’ She lowered her head like a child being refused a treat. “I just slept.”

“I’m sorry. Besides your mother informed us she’d be working, so we can’t let you go home without supervision just in case something happens concerning your health. Do you understand?”

Jaera nodded dejectedly.

“How ‘bout I make you some tea? Peppermint. It should lift your spirits a bit.”

How the is tea supposed to make me feel better? I’m not a grandma, was what she wanted to say, but she hummed in agreement instead.

“Good, I’ll be right back,” the nurse said, bouncing out of the room.

Once the door shut, Jaera let out a heavy sigh and slumped back in her pillows.

This is ridiculous. I can’t even leave. I’m like a goddamn prisoner.

Car horns blared outside, reminding her of how alive the city was at that time. Street lights danced across her window. There was the soft humming of music.

But Jaera was stuck behind a window, between these stupid gray walls.

Somebody get me out of here, her heart pleaded.

Her ears perked up as she heard muffled shouting through the door to her room. Curious, she quickly got out of bed to have a look, dismissing the fact that she was only in a hospital gown.

Oh man, please be a fight. Or something. Anything.

As she neared the door, it suddenly opened at the same time a nurse shrieked, “You’re not allowed in there!”

Jaera fell back, stunned, when Jungkook came crashing into the room, an amused grin on his face. He quickly slammed the door shut, pushing his weight against it, and a commotion ensued as multiple staff members tried prying it back open.

Jaera didn’t know if her heart was racing so much because Jungkook was suddenly in front of her or because was going down right now.

“Call security!” one nurse yelled.

Calmly, Jungkook tilted his head and frowned. “Anyone would think I’m trying to steal something from this stupid hospital,” he mumbled.

As soon as he spoke, Jaera realized the real reason behind her pounding heart and flushed skin was a feeling so familiar, it was almost comforting.

She was angry.

“What. The. ,” Jaera finally said.

Jungkook’s eyes widened, seeing her on the floor. “What are you doing?”

What am I doing? What the are you doing?!”

“Oh,” he chuckled, keeping his hands firmly on the door. “I came to see you.”

Jaera felt like she could punch him for the way he shrugged as if it wasn’t a huge deal.

She got to her feet and looked through the window of the door. “Great, now they’re gonna call security on you because you were too idiotic to fill out a visitor’s form.”

“I tried, but they said visiting hours were over.”

“BECAUSE IT’S 9 FREAKING THIRTY! Why didn’t you just come tomorrow or when I got home?” she screamed. “Better yet, why did you come at all?”

“I couldn’t wait,” he said innocently.

There was a strange tug in her heart. She was about to open to say something when the door suddenly shook, causing Jungkook to stumble back.

“.”

Two bulky guards in dark green uniforms stood outside, heaving their forearms against the door repeatedly.

Jaera rolled her eyes. “And now security’s here. Way to go, Paul.”

She knew Jungkook wouldn’t be able to hold them back for long. Sure, he’s strong, but those two beasts outside looked like they ate entire jars of protein mix for breakfast.

“You’re not gonna help?” Jungkook asked between struggled breaths.

“As if. I’m not the one who decided to waltz in here without permission or a plan. Let them come in here, so they can drag your ou-“

“Ah, it.”

He pulled the hood of his sweatshirt up and grabbed Jaera’s wrist tight. Her breath caught as he suddenly opened the door. Nurses tripped over each other. One of the guards almost crushed them as he fell forward.

Manoeuvring past, Jungkook started running, dragging Jaera along with him.

Her feet slid against the linoleum floor.

“Jungkook! Let go!” she protested, trying to pull away.

Patients looked on in shock and confusion as they ran past.

His grip on her wrist tightened. “No way,” he huffed. “They’re catching up.”

Jaera looked over her shoulder. The security guards’ faces were pulsing red as they came bolting down the hallway after them.

“Oh, ,” she gasped, suddenly more scared than before.

“Run faster!”

She pushed herself forward, adrenaline firing through her system. They skidded around a corner and ran down another corridor. The guards were closing in. She could hear the static from their walkie-talkies as they called for backup. Jaera’s line of vision switched rapidly between Jungkook’s running figure and the two meaty guards and back again. She didn’t know which side to choose.

And then she caught sight of the main entrance to the hospital, she smelt the night air beckoning her out of that hell-hole and her decision was quickly made.

She picked up her pace. “Hurry up, we’re almost there.”

He threw her a smile from over his shoulder and in that one look, she felt life coursing through her body.

Oh my God, I can’t believe I’m escaping from a hospital.

She laughed like a maniac, completely ignoring the fact that she was about to run out in public in nothing but a hospital gown or the fact that it was Jungkook who was running alongside her.

This was the thrill she’d been craving. Sweet, pure exhilaration.

A few flustered nurses rushed over to stop them as they approached the exit. Jaera recognized one of them as the nurse from before, holding a steaming mug of what she assumed to be peppermint tea.

“Hey, hey, hey, what are you doing?” the nurse angrily called out.

Laughing, she sped past her. “I’m getting discharged early!”

Jungkook and Jaera burst through the doors of the hospital, icy wind hitting their faces. City lights and a starry sky greeted them, and Jaera inhaled the scent of freedom and excitement.

They sprinted through the hospital carpark, dodging passing cars, and weaving their way to a quiet side street that was lined with identical-looking houses. Her hospital gown flapped in the wind behind her. Glancing back in the distance, she noticed the guards had given up chasing them and were heading back inside with defeated faces.

She smiled victoriously. “Jungkook, they’re gone.”

“Thank God,” he groaned, suddenly coming to a halt.

He let go of her wrist and rested against the hood of a random parked car to catch his breath. A nearby streetlight caught the sweat lining his forehead and sliding down his neck.He ran a hand through his hair. “What a rush.”

“Yeah.” Jaera panted. “I really do need to start working out.”

“Can’t see that ever happening.”

“Shut up,” Jaera shot back, instinctively thumping him in the arm.

He tilted his head back and laughed. A small smile reached her lips as she dabbed the sweat away from her face.

His gaze fell back on her. There was a moment of silence as he watched her curiously. “You know what I just realized?”

“What?”

He went to say something, but then he looked down at his shoes and laughed.

“What is it?” she probed.

“Nah, I just realized…”

Her eyes met his.

“I just realized that you’re gonna have to walk home wearing that.”

Her face dropped instantly. “Yeah? And you’re gonna be walking home with two broken legs if you don’t shut your mouth.”

He choked back a laugh, making her frown.

Just a minute ago, she had no concern for what she was wearing, but of course, Jungkook had the uncanny ability for killing a mood. The only thing she cared about in the moment was getting out of there. Now, all the excitement that had overwhelmed her was slowly fading, replaced by sensibility and fear. Not only was she barely wearing anything, but all her things were still in her backpack at the hospital.

“This was your bright idea, Jungkook. You could’ve at least brought some clothes.”

“Obviously I was expecting you to already be wearing some.”

“Idiot. Complete ing idiot,” she mumbled, partly talking to herself for coming along so thoughtlessly.

She paced back and forth, wondering what the hell she was going to do now.

“Okay, calm down. Look, it’s not that bad… It just looks like you’re wearing a very fashionable tablecloth.” He burst out laughing.

She marched up to him, a threatening glare marring her face. If only she had the strength to shove his face into the car bonnet.

“You know this is all your fault.”

There was a teasing look in his eyes as he leaned back and crossed his arms, totally relaxed. “How is it my fault? You came here willingly.”

“Are you kidding me?! You literally dragged me here with you!”

“If you miss it so much, then go back. I won’t stop you.”

The way he was smiling at her like he’d won set her off even more. She was seconds away from throttling him. “Ugh! Why do you have to be so stupid?”

“Hey, I’m not the one standing in the middle of the street in a tablecloth, okay.”

“ you, Jungkook.”

His smile disappeared as she stormed off, her face totally devoid of emotion.

“Wait, wait,” Jungkook said through soft laughter. “It was just a joke, come here.”

She stuck her middle finger in the air.

“Jaera, come on. Stop.” He pushed himself off the car, following after her.

A rough wind passed through the street as if it was pushing her back.

Goosebumps covered her skin. She could sense that Jungkook wasn’t far behind her, so she tried walking faster, hoping it would heat her up at the same time.

Jungkook smirked in amusement watching her rub her arms furiously. He kept walking behind her, wondering how far her pride could take her until she finally stopped.

“You know there’s a main road up ahead,” he pointed out.

“Good. There’ll be heaps of cars for me to throw you in front of.”

He sensed the reluctance in her voice. “Are you cold?”

“No.”

“Why are you shaking then?”

She grit her teeth. “I’m trying to stop myself from beating the out of you.”

“Right.”

As entertaining as it was seeing her struggle to remain calm, Jungkook started to regret making her come out in the cold in her thin hospital gown. In all honestly, he wasn’t thinking properly when he decided to break her out. All he knew was he wanted to see her and since things didn’t go so well when he tried at the hospital, this was the only reasonable solution at the time.

Pissing her off and watching her shiver and try to walk in bare feet wasn’t quite part of that plan, though. It was strange for him to realize that he actually cared.

Man, I’m getting soft.

“Jaera, wait.”

His tone was sweeter than before, and she almost wanted to turn around to see what he wanted, but she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

“Fine,” she heard him say. “Just don’t scream.”

She was about to ask him what he meant when something warm covered her face, making her freeze instantly. The smell of coconut filled her senses.

“Wha-”

“Stay still,” Jungkook growled, trying to tug his hoodie over her head.

She wanted to tell him to stop and fight him off, but it was so soft and warm, she felt herself melting. Fresh air hit her cheeks once her head popped through the opening and she was met with Jungkook’s face only inches from hers. His eyebrows were tightly knitted as he pulled the hoodie on her properly.

Slowly, she brought her arms up through the sleeves. It hung loosely on her small frame.

Not saying a word, he adjusted the hood around her hairline, his icy fingertips brushing her neck. She shivered.

“It’s okay,” she said, bringing her arms up to block his.

He nodded silently and stepped back, noticing the way the hoodie swallowed her almost entirely. She fidgeted with the ends of the baggy sleeves.

"Better?"

"Yep." Her voice came out in a small squeak. She coughed. “Thank you…”

The corner of his lips twitched. “Don’t worry.” He shrugged and started walking away. “Just don’t expect me to give you my shoes.”

A laugh escaped her lips. “As if.”

She followed after him, bare-footed, but warm. Warm inside, because of Jungkook.

Quietly watching him stroll along the dimly lit street, her heart swelled. She admired the laziness in his step, the way he walked like the fact he’d just given her his hoodie hadn’t fazed him at all. Like it was a natural thing for him to have done. He was so level-headed. Whenever there was a situation between them that made her nervous, he always stayed calm. Even when he’d broken into her hospital room, against all rules, he didn’t seem to care.

She wondered at that point if he had somehow heard her heart calling for an escape, or if it was pure coincidence. Despite what her quick temper had made it seem like, she was grateful he had shown up. She needed it. She needed him.

She pushed her face deeper into the fabric of his hoodie, smiling. Her stomach stirred as she inhaled.

It smells like him.

 

---

 

The engine rumbled softly as the man started the car. The headlights illuminated the road ahead of him. He watched the two teenagers walking further up the street.

He dialled a number, his hands trembling.

“Yes?”

“It seems the girl was in hospital. Was this your doing?”

“Ho- Hospital?” The voice on the other line stammered. “Wasn’t me. What’s she doing?”

“The boy broke her out.”

He kept his eyes on their figures as he slowly inched his car along the road.

“Which boy?”

“Jeon Jungkook.”

There was a pause. “I see… I’ll call you back.”

The line went dead. He stuffed his phone into the glove box and sped off.

 

 

 A/N: idk anymore hahahaha it took me a week to write one god damn scene T^T writer's block got me gooooooood, pls let me know what y'all think in the comments ♥