Chapter Fourteen

Passion

 

Mr. Kim’s receptionist dragged three chairs into his office, setting them in an uneven semi-circle in front of his desk. Hyesoon’s breath was caught in as she took a seat, but the others didn’t seem fazed at all. They had, after all, visited his office numerous times. Hyesoon on the other hand wasn’t used to being in this kind of situation.

“It’ll be okay,” Jimin whispered to her, squeezing her shoulder softly, an action that didn’t go unnoticed by Jaera.

She frowned and also sat down, staring at Mr. Kim with a nonchalant gaze. When they were all seated, Mr. Kim leaned back in his chair, clasping his hands together.

“Hyesoon,” he said in a low voice that made her want to cower back. He just had to target her, didn’t he? “What were you five doing in the dance studio? You of all people should be well aware of the school rules.”

She glanced around nervously. If it hadn’t been for Jimin’s constant hold on her shoulder she may have caved in to the pressure and spilled everything, but she remembered their plan. She remembered how her answer would affect all of them. And she remembered that the whole reason for the break-in and the meeting in the studio was because of Mr. Kim. She wouldn’t let him win.

“We were just hanging out. Is that such a crime?”

Mr. Kim chuckled. “Just hanging out? Nope, I don’t think that’s a crime, but breaking into the school’s security room, stealing private files and surveillance tapes, along with vandalism… I’d say those are very serious crimes. Don’t you think?”

Hyesoon remained calm and collected. “Ohh, so somebody stole surveillance tapes?” She faked a stunned expression. “Why would somebody do that?”

“That’s what I was hoping to ask you all. It seems awfully suspicious that after this invasion of our school’s security, I find you five gathering in an off-limits area ‘hanging out’. You don’t seem like the type to be hanging out with these… people.” He sent the boys a sneer.

“Well, Mr. Kim, it was you who told Jaera and Jungkook to become friends, right?”

“That’s correct.”

“So seeing as I’m Jaera’s best friend, it was only natural for me to try and help. We’ve all been hanging out ever since actually.”

“Really?”

Jimin tried to hide his smile. He was amazed at Hyesoon’s deceptive abilities. “It’s true, sir. We’ve all decided to help out. We don’t want them getting expelled.”

Mr. Kim nodded slowly, transferring his gaze to Jaera and Jungkook. “How is the relationship going anyways? I’m surprised there hasn’t been any trouble between you two in a while.”

“We’re still trying,” Jaera replied.

“Good to hear. So you know nothing about the break-in?”

They all shook their heads.

“Nothing but what you’ve told us,” Hyesoon said. “And Jimin wasn’t even in town this weekend, so it’s kinda pointless to be asking him.”

Mr. Kim observed the way Jimin held Hyesoon. Unwillingly, he nodded. “Okay. You all seem pretty innocent, I guess. But I would suggest no more secret rendezvouses during class time. You all understand?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good. Now go. Your teachers will be wondering where you are by now.”

The group all stood and shuffled out the door, when Mr. Kim suddenly called Jungkook’s name. His friends waited outside while he walked back into the office.

“You missed quite a few basketball practices last week. It’s not like you, Jungkook. Is everything alright?”

Jungkook frowned. He shifted his feet along the ground awkwardly. “I… I haven’t been feeling well. But I’ll be going today.”

“Mmm. I was going to suggest that. Like I’ve been saying, you really need that scholarship, so regular attendance would be a good idea. Unless you’ve changed your mind?”

“Of course not. I just haven’t been in the right frame of mind. I’ll do my best from now on.”

“Glad to hear it,” he said, rearranging a pile of papers across his desk. “But can you tell me something, Jungkook?”

“What is it?”

“Tell me you didn’t have anything to do with the break-in.”

Jungkook kept his gaze steady. “I honestly didn’t. But I’m pretty sure you know who did.”

“What do you mean?”

Unsure of what he was doing, he shook his head. “You and Jin might think I’m stupid, but you’re not fooling anyone. Blaming my friends for the dance studio when you know it was your own son. You make me sick.”

Mr. Kim’s eyes widened. “You better watch yourself, Jungkook. You don’t know anything.”

“I do. You’ve always expected the worst of me. You’ve always tried your best to things up for me, but not anymore. I know how badly you want me to fail with my basketball. You’re probably even happy that I’ve been skipping practice. I don’t even care, because no matter what, I’ll get that scholarship, I’ll graduate from school and I’ll never have to deal with you again. And there’s nothing you or your ing son can do about that.”

Mr. Kim’s expression remained unchanged for a few moments before he finally broke out into a small smile. “Alright.” He stood up, straightened his jacket and walked out from behind his desk. “You can go now…”

There was no anger. No furious reaction. Jungkook, who was filled with confusion and rage, backed out the door, keeping his eyes on his principal. Mr. Kim stared back.

“Just be careful, Jungkook.”

The door shut. Jungkook was breathing heavily, feeling dizzy. He couldn’t believe what had just happened. He finally stood up to Mr. Kim and the guy acted as if nothing had happened. It didn’t feel right. A hand landed on his shoulder, making him jump slightly.

“You alright?” Taehyung asked. “What happened in there?”

“I literally have no ing idea…”

 

***

 

            Hey, are you okay?

Yeah, what about you?

            I’m good. Don’t know about Jungkook tho. You did a good job covering our asses back then haha.

XD I’m surprised myself. My next class is starting, txt u later Jimin

 

“Who are you texting?”

Jaera tried to hide her grin as Hyesoon awkwardly slid her phone back in her pocket, an obvious blush coloring her cheeks. “Jimin… He was just asking how I was.”

Jaera laughed and they stood up from their bench to walk to class. “That’s nice of him. Since when were you guys on texting basis?”

“Since we started planning the break-in, of course. It’s not a big deal.” Her hand mindlessly hovered about her pocket. “Anyways, do you know how Jungkook is? Jimin said he’s not feeling okay.”

Jaera shrugged. “I wouldn’t have a clue. I haven’t really talked to him since…”

“Since?”

Jaera’s mind wandered. Hyesoon had been so wrapped up in the break-in, they’d hardly had time to catch up. “It’s nothing. Well, it’s not nothing, but it’s not that important either. He’s just been acting really strange lately, and after seeing the way he reacted when Jimin brought up Jin, I think I know why.”

“There’s that name again. Who the hell is Jin?”

“It’s complicated.”

“How do you know about this guy, though?”

“Jungkook told me. It’s kinda personal, I don’t know if I should tell you anyways.”

“Woah,” Hyesoon exclaimed. “Since when were you and Jungkook on a ‘sharing personal stories’ basis? I thought he hated you.”

“I’m starting to question that now…”

She smiled, nudging her friend’s arm. “That’s a good thing, isn’t it? This way you won’t be facing expulsion, and maybe you two can actually be friends.”

“I don’t know about that part. I’ll just have to wait and see.”

Silence captured the conversation for the rest of their walk. Jaera became lost in thought. She’d been doing that quite a lot lately. It was the first time in a long time that she’d found some sort of peace with Jungkook. They hadn’t fought since he ignored her outside the records store. She wouldn’t even consider the whole sketch situation an argument; it was more like a very awkward confrontation. And she definitely wouldn’t dream of telling Hyesoon about it. It was already embarrassing enough.

The two friends finally reached the science block where Hyesoon’s class was. Before they hugged in farewell, Hyesoon stopped and pulled Jaera aside.

“I think you should check on Jungkook when you get home. See what’s wrong. Maybe cheer him up?”

“It wouldn’t work.” Jaera sighed. “Trust me.”

“But it’s worth a try. Jimin’s really worried about him, and even though I hardly know him, so am I.”

Jaera shook her head and hugged Hyesoon in an attempt to shut her up. She really hated the way she could make everything sound so much simpler than it actually was.

“Okay. Just so you’ll get off my back, I’ll try,” she said with a small smile.

Hyesoon’s science teacher hollered her name, beckoning her inside. Jaera quickly let her go, waving her off.

“I have work after school, so I’ll see you tomorrow,” she called out just before the door shut.

 

“Can you help me put those boxes in here?” Chanyeol said from inside the back room.

Jaera nodded and quickly finished arranging a few CDs on the shelves. She skipped over to the rear exit where a van was waiting in the driveway, filled with new shipments. With Jaera’s help, the two were able to empty the van in a flash.

“I’ll grab that one,” Chanyeol offered, taking the last box from Jaera and carrying it inside to the back room. She followed after him, humming a tune to herself.

Chanyeol wiped his forehead and slumped down onto the staff sofa while Jaera shuffled through a few of the boxes.

She gasped, picking up one of the CDs she’d spotted. “Oh my God, I love this band! I haven’t listened to them since I was younger…”

Chanyeol chuckled, glancing at his watch. “I think we’re due for a break, so why don’t you put it on?”

“Yay,” she exclaimed, popping the disc out of its case and into the stereo on the other side of the room. She grinned, pressing play and turning the volume up a little. A light guitar melody started to fill the air making Jaera sigh in contentment. She leaned back against the wall and closed her eyes.

A wave of memories washed over her. She could see her father’s face, his wrinkled smile and glinting eyes clear in front of her; she could smell her mom’s cooking and taste the sweet, hot chocolate she would make her on cold winter mornings; she could feel the green grass of her backyard spread out beneath her as she tumbled to the ground laughing; she could see Jungkook’s young face smiling down at her…

She opened her eyes instantly. Chanyeol was staring at her, intrigued. “You have this habit of closing your eyes when you listen to music, don’t you?”

“I… yeah, only when it means something to me.”

Chanyeol sat up straight. “Tell me what this song means to you.”

Jaera wandered over and sat down beside him, perching her elbow on the back of the sofa. She sighed. “It reminds me of my dad. It reminds me of growing up and being a child with no worries and stresses. It makes me feel… free.”

Chanyeol hummed in agreement, listening closely to the tune of the guitar. “Do you play?”

“The guitar? Nope. My dad did, but he never got the chance to teach me…”

Chanyeol sensed the touchy subject. “Do you want to learn?”

“Haha, I would like to, unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to. I have no patience whatsoever. It’s hard enough for me to concentrate in class.”

“I see, but I’m a really good teacher, just saying.” He laughed and rushed over to a closet, pulling out a guitar with a shiny, blue veneer. He plopped back down and strummed it a few times. “If you can follow my instructions as best as you can for the next fifteen minutes, I’ll prove to you that you can in fact learn to play. If not, I’ll never ask to teach you again. Deal?”

“Hmm.” Jaera cringed with the thought of sitting still for such a long time. “Fine. Fifteen minutes and that’s it.”

“Deal.” Chanyeol reached out and shook her hand before setting the guitar in her lap. She gasped as it slipped off and fell to the ground, a deep echoing thud ringing out with it. He laughed awkwardly and picked it up. This was going to be harder than he thought. “Uh, first lesson: how to hold a guitar.”

 

***

The heavy scent of spices permeated the air when Jaera walked through the front door. She could already feel the heat that was surging from the kitchen. Her mom was singing a pretty tune as she shuffled back and forth conjuring up what seemed to be a special dinner.

“It smells so good in here,” Jaera said, walking in to place a kiss on her mom’s cheek. “Is tonight a special occasion?”

“I invited Jungkook’s parents over for dinner. I reckon a visit from them will cheer him up.”

Her mother continued to stir a pot filled with crispy vegetables and thick slices of meat. She then started making some rice.

Jaera helped her by measuring out six cups. “Has he said anything to you by the way? Like, if something’s bothering him…”

Jaehee chuckled, filling the cooker with water. “It’s not like you to be asking about Jungkook’s wellbeing,” she pointed out. “But no, he hasn’t said much. Every time I ask if he’s alright he shrugs me off or tells me he’s fine.” She turned the cooker on and hurried back to her pot, adding in a few more flavorings. “He must forget that I’ve known him since he was eight, so I can tell when he’s starting to shut himself off from people.” She glimpsed at the kitchen clock. “Do you know where he is?”

“I think he had basketball practice, but he should’ve finished way before I got off from work. Maybe he’s getting some extra practice in?”

Jaehee hummed. “Maybe. Can you taste this?” she asked, heaping a spoonful towards Jaera’s face.

After tasting, Jaera smacked her lips together. “Needs a little more salt.” She walked over to grab her phone out of her bag. “I’m going up to my room. Let me know when Jungkook’s parents get here.”

“Will do.”

 

When she reached her room, Jaera changed into some comfortable clothes and lay back on her bed. The picture Jungkook had drawn was hanging next to her bed. Sometimes she’d find herself staring at it, engulfed in confusion and a sort of sadness. It was a reminder for her. Every time she looked at it, she remembered that Jungkook in fact had feelings; emotions that she had always found incredibly hard to decipher and understand. All  her life, she’d been trying to ignore that fact.

She hated it, but she couldn’t bring herself to tear the picture away from its place on the wall. It belonged there now.

Her lesson with Chanyeol had gone regrettably well, and so they were planning on having regular lessons during their breaks at work. In a way she was grateful that Chanyeol was helping her get closer to her dad, but she also felt annoyed that it wasn’t her dad teaching her. She’s had to learn from someone else instead. Nevertheless, she quickly started searching online for cheap acoustic guitars.

After she had placed an order on a decent-looking one, she heard the front door open. Thinking it was Jungkook’s parents, she stepped out of her room to listen out for their voices. The whole house was now filled with an exceptional aroma that made Jaera’s stomach unintentionally rumble. As she took another step forward, Jungkook emerged from the stair case. He was still in his basketball uniform and sweat outlined his face.

“Hey,” he said casually, strolling over to the linen closet for a towel. “Were you going to use the bathroom?”

“Oh, no. You go.”

He nodded and Jaera turned back to her bedroom when her mom called her name. She groaned inwardly but obediently followed her voice back to the kitchen.

“Can you please do these dishes for me? I’ve gotta pop down to the store to get some cream. Won’t be long.”

Jaera tried to hide her frown as she eyed up the enormous pile of dishes stacked along the counter. But then she noticed the amount of food her mom had already prepared and guilt quickly put a stop to her inner complaining. If her mom was slaving around the kitchen just so she could eat, then the least she could do was help her clean.

After finally putting the dishes away, Jaera wiped her chin and ran back upstairs, ignoring the hunger that was biting at her stomach. Can Jungkook’s parents hurry up so I can eat already? she thought. She was so caught up thinking of all the food that was waiting downstairs just begging to be eaten when Jungkook emerged from the bathroom.

Before she could figure out a normal reaction to seeing her childhood enemy with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist, she screamed and ran to her room. The image of a half- Jungkook stayed imprinted in her mind. She breathed in deeply and, deciding that her initial response wasn’t exactly mature, she waited until she had calmed down. When her face didn't feel so flushed and her palms weren't so sweaty she marched over to his room, determined.

It was only when she had finally opened his door and saw him lying on his bed, fully dressed thank God, throwing a basketball towards his ceiling that she realized she had no idea what she was going to say. She settled on a quick and casual, “Sorry about that.”

Jungkook caught the ball and sat up. He hadn’t even noticed her walk in it seemed. “Sorry about what?” he asked, tucking his basketball under his arm.

“I… Just before… I’m sorry that I…” she stuttered. “I actually… what?”

Jungkook laughed half-heartedly and lay back down. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Okay,” Jaera said, sighing with relief. She wandered further into his room, wondering how far she could make it before he kicked her out. He didn’t. She even managed to reach his bed with no troubles.

Sensing the shift in weight, he looked at her, catching his basketball mid-throw. “What are you doing?”

“Me?” he glanced around. “I’m just, I wanted to play. With you.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You wanna play with me? Never in your entire life have you wanted to play with me. What do you really want, Jaera?”

She sighed. “I just want to know if you’re okay.”

There. She said it. No matter what anyone thought, she’d be able to say that at least she’d asked, right? She didn’t actually have to sit there and comfort him. She just had to make sure he was okay.

Jungkook lay there in silence. He was caught up in his own thoughts. Was he okay? And if he wasn’t, would he even be able to tell Jaera that? Why did she even care?

“I’m fine,” he lied. “There’s nothing to worry about.”

Jaera let out the breath she was holding. “Okay. Good to know.”

She got up to leave, but he spoke again. “Wait.”

“What is it?” she said, sitting back down. Jungkook took up most of the bed so she was practically falling off the edge.

He stared up at the ceiling. “Do you wanna know the truth?”

“Uh, sure.”

“I’m scared, Jaera.”

The whole room fell still. Neither of them moved for the next minute as they sat in complete silence.

“Why are you scared?”

He shifted on his side so he could look at her. His eyes were cold. “Have you ever done something that you wish you could take back? No matter what you do or how much you try to forget it, it stays there in the back of your mind. And when you imagine having to face the consequences, it feels like it’s eating you up. Have you ever felt like that?”

“I… don’t think I have. Maybe a few times when I’ve lied to Hyesoon or my mom, but not to such an extent.” She shuffled closer, feeling herself slipping off the bed. “It’s because of Jin, right?”

He took a moment to think and nodded. “It’s ed up. Even though I haven’t done anything wrong, it still feels like I have. The worst part is, I can’t even tell anybody about it.”

“You can tell me.” The words left before she could stop them.

“You wouldn’t listen.” He turned away from her and gazed back up at the ceiling.

“But I would. I would listen,” she insisted.

“Why would you? You hate me.” His tone was even, his voice lazy.

She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. She could literally feel the gravity in the room shift, like the floor was suddenly going to open up and swallow her down.

“Jungkook. I don’t hate you.”

Surprisingly, the words didn’t taste as bad as she’d imagined. There was a hint of regret behind them, but what was she going to do? She couldn’t exactly take it back.

“Of course you do, Jaera.”

“I don’t.”

“Yes, you do. It’s one of the only things in this world that are certain; the sky is blue, the Earth orbits the sun and you hate me. That’s how it’s always been and that’s how it always will be.”

“But it’s not!” she protested. “I don’t hate you, okay?”

He sighed. “How can you go from hating me to not hating me just like that? It’s not possible.”

“Well then, maybe I didn’t even hate you in the first place.” She paused for a moment, registering Jungkook’s response. He continued to shake his head, keeping his eyes focused above him and mindlessly fumbling with his basketball. “I mean, I hated you. I really did. What you did to my father’s flowers, I will never forget. You ruined something that I loved. Then when you first moved in, I was angry at you because every time I’d see you, I was reminded of that night and how hurt I was over what you did. But as time went on, I came to realize that I couldn’t blame you for what you’d done. You didn’t mean it. I spent most of my life focusing on the bad things you’ve done, instead of the good, and I think you’ve been doing a lot of that lately too.”

Jungkook didn’t speak, instead he listened carefully, taking in Jaera’s words.

“You act like you don’t need help when you do. You shut people out that care about you. You blame yourself for things you didn’t even do.”

“You think you know me that well?”

“Jungkook, I’ve known you since I was six. I’m pretty sure I know at least some things about you.”

“I can’t do this,” he mumbled, standing up from his bed and heading for the door.

“Where are you going?” Jaera shouted, rushing ahead of him. She stood in front of the door.

“Move.”

“No,” she persisted, pushing him back. “You never listen to me! Every time I actually try to help you, you run away. I’m sick of it!”

“I’m not running away, I just don’t want to do this!” he yelled, getting more annoyed by the second.

She was even angrier than him “Do what? You don’t want to accept the fact that people out there care about you? Your friends, your parents, even my mom; they all worry about you. Are you so afraid of that?”

“No!” he shouted. “That’s not it at all! You don’t even ing understand.”

She was on the brink of tears from the frustration boiling inside her. “Then tell me.”

“I don’t want you to be here!” He slammed his fist against the door behind her. “I don’t want you worrying about me, I don’t want you to tell me what I need and I don’t want you to look at me like that!”

“Like what?”

A single tear unwillingly fell from her eye and Jungkook instantly looked away. She watched a series of different expression flicker across his face before he finally looked back at her, roughly grabbing her chin and forcing her to face him properly.

“Like that,” he growled. “See? You don’t even realize you’re doing it. You said you hated me being here because it reminds you of that night. Well every time I see this face, this hurt filling your eyes, it reminds me of that night, too. Do you even know how hard I was trying to make you like me?”

Jaera’s breath caught. She suddenly regretted everything.

“I was so focused on the fact that I hadn’t seen you for three years, I was so set on changing your perspective of me that I forgot the most important thing. I forgot that you’d gone through the loss of your father. I forgot everything and I hate that. I hate that you pushed me away because of what I did. I hate that you hate me.”

He leaned down and buried his face in her shoulder, breathing in her scent, hiding the tears that were beginning to fall. Jaera’s heart was going crazy. She couldn’t understand what was going on.

“But I don’t hate you.”

He straightened back up and Jaera could see his face was covered with fresh tears. It was her first time seeing him cry and she suddenly felt like crying, too.

“Are you sure?”

She bit back her tears. “Jungkook, I promise I don’t hate you.”

Jungkook nodded and closed his eyes, bringing Jaera closer so he could inhale her scent again. Instinctively, she wrapped her arms around him, and a warmth she had never felt before engulfed her. He lifted his head slightly and she felt his breath against her neck.

“I don’t hate you, too,” he whispered.

 

---