003- Painted After Life

La vie en rose
word count: 2,456; enjoy!
don't forget to comment and subscribe :)

 

Jisoo can’t help but fidget in his seat as he tries to calm himself down.

This is the day you’ve been waiting for Jisoo, don’t it up.

He chanted it on his mind repeatedly as he continuously looks at his watch, making him feel more nervous than ever. It was those moments that Jisoo wouldn’t know the meaning of calm and if his friends see him like this he was sure that he would receive a one-by-one slap on his head for being so nervous.

He’s not late; I’m just here a bit early than the said time.

He nodded to himself as he tries to distract himself by caressing the non-existent dents on his shirt cause why not? If your hands get clammy you find something to distract it from. It helped him a little bit until he saw the familiar face he was waiting for.

He took a big gulp and awkwardly standing up preventing himself from tripping.

Yes, so much for impressions.

He raised his hand and waved not too hard because he’ll be too obvious about his eagerness. The guy saw him and flashed him his too bright smile and waved back enthusiastically as he approached Jisoo.

“Hey! I hope I wasn’t late” the guy who just arrived chuckled timidly as he tried to tame his fringe.

“I was just a little bit early,” fifty minutes earlier to be exact “don’t sweat it Jeonghan.” He casually said as he pat the other one’s shoulder. Friendly gesture okay?

 “I’m really sorry for bothering you on you weekend, and thank you for coming with me!” Jeonghan exclaimed as he handed a paper bag to Jisoo.

“What’s this for?” he asked as he reached for the bag nonetheless. Jeonghan smiled at him sheepishly as he said “An early thank you gift for accepting my offer.” He told Jisoo which was followed by a laugh.

Music to my ears. Jisooo thought as he shook himself to prevent himself from blushing.

“Should we go now?” Jeonghan asked as he recovered from his small antic and offered Jisoo a shy smile which earned a nod from the latter.

 

They both headed to the studio where Jeonghan frequents at while doing his plates, which is by now jisoo is very familiar since he has been here for quiet few times now. The studio wasn’t that big but also wasn’t that small. It wasn’t stuffy considering the amount of canvass and paint buckets that was scattered all over the place. It gave Jisoo the feeling of epiphany since the walls are painted with whites, few paint splatter in every corner. The walls were decorated with Jeonghan’s paintings; in some corners are the ones he bought during some of the auctions he attended.

On one corner though was solely for pictures which feature their group of friends and their memorable moments. It was messy but really pleasant to the eyes of many. There were pictures plus sticky notes with a little bit of captions or what happened on that day and why is what memorable. It continued of increasing as time goes by.

Jisoo can’t get enough of looking at this corner, since most of the pictures were him and Jeonghan doing stuffs, some are selcas, and some are photos that were taken by someone in their group of friends. Jisoo continued to scan the photos.

I would definitely miss these kids.

His trance was broken when he heard Jeonghan’s voice calling onto him.

“Are you done preparing your materials?” Jisoo asked as he went to the formers direction, eyeing his outfit. The one he usually use for painting, a jumper that was full of bits of paints and then a black shirt. Jisoo swore he would never get tired of seeing Jeonghan in this state. For him, this made Jeonghan’s beauty stand out most of the time.

“Yeah” Jeonghan replied as he tied his hair up and clipped his fringe properly now.

Jeonghan has asked Jisoo to model for him for his final plate. Jisoo kept on asking what was his theme about but the older was so stubborn not give out any information about what is on his mind. He asked Seungcheol also but to no avail. Though he was given bit information which was really vague.

“Up to you” were Seungcheol’s words to him when he persistently asked him about what is their final plate about. Jisoo sighed defeatedly that time and don’t bother to ask anymore as to Jihoon was also giving him deathly glare which clearly says that stop pestering my boyfriend.

He may be older but Jihoon was ing scary as hell, wait screw that, he was scarier than Satan.

“Could you sit on that?” Jeonghan pointed at the chair that was situated at the middle of the room which background was pile of flowers that Jisoo didn’t notice. He then nodded and did what he was told.

“Just relax okay? You don’t have to do any funny poses.” Jeonghan laughed which was soon joined by Jisoo also. After a minute of trying to find a comfortable position he nodded to Jeonghan signaling that he can start now.

It was after minutes that Jeonghan turned into completely someone else. It was by default when the older one is on work mode. Jisoo have seen him countless times but this is the first time when he’s the only one who’s watching Jeonghan. It was different. Jeonghan has this serene look on him while trying to focus on what he was doing, he would sometimes scrunch his face like it was telling that there something off, then it will ease up when he fixed it.

The best part was when Jeonghan is already playing with the colors. He knew that Jeonghans palette is really pale but at the same time somewhat vibrant. The guy focuses his color from reds to blues turning them pale as his work on it which is to why it gives a calm feeling, which applies to all of his paintings. Jisoo have by now memorized jeonghan’s color palette though.

Jisoo watched in amusement as Jeonghan’s face begins to change every minute while deciding the colors, but once he was done; his face becomes calmer as he applies each to the canvas, carefully rounding his brush around it.

Jisoo was staring.

He knows that.

Jisoo can’t help but fall in love with Jeonghan again.

As he thinks of it, he sighed as he remembers that graduation is less than a month away and he still hasn’t confessed to the older. He kept on thinking about it not noticing that his eyes were slightly dropping until he was met with darkness and the rest ensure.

 

He felt a tap on his shoulder and he was met with jeonghan’s amused face, covered a bit of paint. He blinks for a moment until he realized where he was.

“Oh my god…” he looked up to Jeonghan who was trying to hold his laughter back. “You finished it right?” concern clearly dripping off from his voice. He received a timid smile from the older. “Just going to add more of details, I guess 87% of it?” Jisoo stood up ready to apologize until jeonghan waved him off.

“Its okay” he smiled “do you want to grab something? It’s already past five pm though.” Jisoo only managed a small smile then they went off.

 

 

“Man! Can’t believe that graduation is only a week from now.” Seungcheol whined as he draped his arms around Jihoon’s shoulder earning a small glare from the younger.

“You didn’t have to remind us though.” Jun said as his face met the lunch table they were at earning a small pat from Minghao, his boyfriend.

“By the way, have you seen Jeonghan? I haven’t seen him at all this week.” Jisoo casually asked but Jihoon beat him to it.

“Why? Finally manning up to confess your 3 year long feelings for him?”

Jisoo only managed to shiver with Jihoon’s words. When the younger was planning to add some more, his mouth was covered by his boyfriend.

“I think he’s preparing for his solo exhibit since he got flat uno on his final plate, so the rest of his works were requested to be exhibit as a part of the farewell process for us art students.” Seungcheol said then pecked Jihoon’s cheek as a form of apology.

“Of course, ours would be also displayed but Jeonghan’s works will be the main feature, especially his final plate.” Jisoo only managed to nod not really understanding what he was talking about since he’s still hung over his final exams.

 

From: Hannie~

Hey, can you come to our exhibit today?

To: Hannie~

Sure, just tell me what time and when :)

From: Hannie~

Student lounge, 7pm. See you there ;)

 

It was 7pm and Jisoo was already at the student lounge where the exhibit was being held. There were quiet amount of students. He thanks the heavens because he saw people mostly wearing a semi-formal outfits and he was too. He was wearing a plain white shirt with a black cardigan and black pants to match with and a converse. Just because, he thought.

He found Jun and Minghao after walking for a while and was greeted by an upset looking Jihoon.

“What’s wrong Jihoon?” Minghao carefully asked which earned a little shake of head. They know it’s the best not to ask further questions, and all they know this is about Seungcheol. As always.

They all walked around looking at the paintings that were displayed. They were mesmerized and amazed by how little colors could be so deep and full of thoughts. They managed to look around without any problems until they arrived at the space were Seungcheol’s works are displayed.

Amazing would be understatement. Seungcheol’s forte is impasto which is why they’re so amazed when they saw a portrait of a familiar boy a shy smile grazing on his face. It was so simple but the colors said it a lot. The cool colors complimented the way Seungcheol has painted Jihoon’s smile. It was obvious that the portrait was only based on Seungcheols memory because the face has a blur effect but the smile said it all that it was Jihoon’s.

That’s why he’s upset. Jisoo thought and smiled at the well portrayed image. They congratulated Seungcheol for his work once he arrived to greet them. Nonetheless they witnessed a mini-kiss session between Jihoon and Seungcheol.

After few more minutes of walking, Jisoo was as clueless as to why he hasn’t seen Jeonghan yet. They were informed that some of Jeonghan’s works are displayed except for his final plate. So they went to the space were Jeonghan’s works were displayed but there’s no Jeonghan around. After observing the works they heard an announcement politely asking them to proceed to the center of the room.

Arriving, they Jeonghan at the stage talking to one of the MCs. Jisoo saw Jeonghan’s eyes scanning the room so he raised his hand and wave a bit until the boy noticed them. He saw Jeonghan’s face turn into a slight pink earning him a shy smile before waving back.

 

“Tonight, we would like to acknowledge and congratulate Yoon Jeonghan for topping his class and winning the annual competition held by Seoul National University earning him the award of youth’s new inspiration for the new generation. We would like to give him this reward on the behalf of the faculty of arts and the university for his Excellency.”

Jeonghan walked up to the front and received a certificate and a mini trophy with a bouquet.

“We would now like to hear a short speech from Mr. Yoon before we showcase his now masterpiece with a little bit of explanation.”

Jeonghan walked up to the podium a little nervous, as Jisoo observed since his hands were fidgety. A trait that only Jisoo knows.

Jeonghan smiled at the crowd and nodded to the people who presented his award before starting off.

“First and foremost I would like to thank the faculty members of arts for giving me this wonderful opportunity and for the University for allowing me to do so. Second, I want to thank all of my friends who supported me through out.” He smiled.

“The theme we were given was plain easy but so hard to think of. It took me months to figure out what I want to do. The theme was reason why you smile. See? This is so easy yet it takes a lot of thinking to express it. On the outer side it may be simple but for us art students, this is one thing that we put more than anything, not just because it’s our final plate but it’s because it’s something that we will have until the end. These paintings would last with us as we came up with the concept with the reason behind it. We value the reason more than the image; we value the messages more than we value the outcome. We value the expression more that the impression.”

He took a deep sigh and looked at Jisoo.

“Les Jours Normaux, On Normal Days, is one of my greatest works as I expressed my emotions and grew attached to.”

Then they revealed. To the eyes of many, it was a simple portrait of a boy who’s lying in a bed of thousands of flowers. The color seems a little bit brighter than the usual pale one.

But for Jisoo, it wasn’t plain, it was something that made his heart flutter, his eyes immediately flew to Jeonghan’s who was staring at him also. Jisoo gave the latter one smile, that one that express nothing but happiness. After hearing the crowd to quiet down, Jeonghan continued with his explination.

“In this, I expressed my longing, my wanting, and my desire to be someone that will place a smile on someone’s face as he sleep, someone who will ease the crease that formed between his eyebrows. I want to be that someone whom he longs for. He is the reason why I smile, the reason why I managed to move forward despite the setbacks. He will be the sole reason why till this day I managed to be the best that I am. Thank you and have a wonderful night.”

Jeonghan immediately went directly outside which Jisoo hastily followed. He grabbed his arms the second he catched up with Jeonghan and placed his lips onto the older one. Wrapping his arms around Jeonghan, Jisoo pulled him closer. He felt Jeonghan’s resting his hands on his chest.

As they broke off from the kiss, they both stared at each other before whispering…

“I love you”