An Artistic Prince

You Make Me Stronger

 

Sungjong walked into school with the previous day’s question still in his mind. Since he had gotten home after his trip to the mall with Hoya and Dongwoo, he had been questioning whether or not he had really seen Sunggyu and Woohyun together. Had he just been seeing things? And how did he know that they were even on a date? He didn’t, and that was the problem.

Maybe I’m just jumping to conclusions, he thought. He didn’t want to assume anything until he had the chance to see them together again.  He shook his head and ruffled his hair in frustration as he entered his first class of the day.

“Hey, Myungsoo,” he said, sitting down across from his tablemate. Myungsoo gave him a small smile in response, but as usual, he immediately went back to concentrating on his drawing. Sungjong noticed that he was working on a sketch of a flower, but his arm was blocking his view of it so he couldn’t clearly see what type it was. “What’s that?” he asked, curious.

“It’s a carnation,” Myungsoo answered. He flipped the paper around to show it to Sungjong. “What do you think?” he asked quietly. He seemed genuinely interested in Sungjong's opinion.

The drawing was gorgeous. Myungsoo had colored the flower with countless shades of red and pink, making the it look almost like a photograph. His mouth dropped in awe. “It’s amazing!” he exclaimed. “You’re so good!”

Myungsoo seemed surprised. “Really?”

“Yeah.” Sungjong grinned. “This looks like something I would put on my wall. It’s so pretty…”

“You can have it,” Myungsoo said suddenly.

Sungjong’s eyes widened. “Huh?”

“You can keep it if you want.”

“I can? Thanks!” Sungjong happily picked up the piece of artwork. “Uhm…could I have a piece of paper?”

Myungsoo tore a piece out of his sketchbook and handed it to Sungjong, who immediately began trying to duplicate the carnation in front of him. “I want to see how close I can get,” he mumbled to himself.

By the end of the period, Sungjong had finished his drawing. Looking down at it, his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. His drawing looked nothing like Myungsoo’s; in fact, it looked like a kindergartener drew it. Sungjong nearly facepalmed himself. “Crap,” he said.

“Can I see?” Myungsoo asked.

“Sure…” sighed Sungjong, handing him the paper.

Myungsoo examined the drawing for about a minute with an indifferent expression on his face. Then he handed it back. “I like it,” he said.

“Yeah, right.”

“You worked hard on it. That’s what matters.” Myungsoo shrugged and packed up his stuff, leaving Sungjong in the room by himself.

It took Sungjong a moment to realize that he had just had his first real conversation with Myungsoo. For some reason, that seemed like a huge accomplishment. He was so pleased with himself that he nearly skipped out of the classroom.“We talked~” he giggled to himself. “From now on, I’ll talk to him every day!”

“Talk to who every day?” The curious voice of Sungyeol interrupted Sungjong’s thoughts. He must have said that out loud without realizing it.

“Oh, no one.”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “Riiiight. So, how was your morning with the Ice Prince?”

“Shut up.”

“You shut up.”

“No you.”

“No, you.

“How about both of you shut up?” Sunggyu walked up behind the two of them and gently shoved them into their next class. “Am I going to have to separate you two?”

“No…” Sungjong and Sungyeol said in unison, sounding like dejected children. They hung their heads in embarrassment and slunk over to two desks in the corner, where they sat in silence as their English class began.

About halfway through class, Sungyeol tapped Sungjong on the shoulder. “What’s that?” he asked, pointing to something hanging out of Sungjong’s backpack. It was Myungsoo’s drawing.

“It’s a drawing from art class.”

“Really? It’s great. Did you draw it?”

“Nope, someone else did.”

A knowing smile crept onto Sungyeol’s face. “The Ice Prince, perhaps?” he teased.

Sungjong was silent.

“Seriously? You kept his drawing?” Sungyeol threw his head back and laughed, earning a stern glare from their teacher. He lowered his voice to a whisper. “Did you steal it from him?”

“Why would I steal it?” Sungjong scrunched his face up in disgust. “He said I could have it.”

“Ah, love~”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I see love in the air~”

“Please stop talking,” said Sungjong, desperate to shut up his friend before he got them both in trouble. Sungyeol stuck out his tongue in reply, but didn’t say anything else.

Once lunch started, though, so did Sungyeol’s chatter. He skipped down the hallway with Sungjong, chanting what he had said in English class over and over again in the loudest voice he could muster.

“Sunggyu-hyung, help!”  Sungjong cried as the two of them approached their lunch table. He released himself from Sungyeol’s grip and ran to hide behind the older boy.

“What did he do this time?” asked Sunggyu absent-mindedly. He didn’t seem to be focused on either of his friends.

“Nothing~” cooed Sungyeol, oblivious to Sunggyu’s behavior. Luckily for Sungjong, he quickly got bored and walked off in search of food, leaving the two others sitting alone at the table.

“Erm…” Sungjong shifted awkwardly in his seat. “Sunggyu-hyung?”

“Yup?” Sunggyu didn’t even look up from his food.

“I wanted to ask you about something I saw the other day. At the ma—”

“Hey you two!” Sungjong was cut off by the energetic voice of Woohyun. He sat down at the table next to Sunggyu and smiled at him. “Hey, Gyu.”

Sunggyu blushed. “H-hey,” he replied, and started eating again, faster than before.

The atmosphere of the table continued to get more awkward as lunch went on. Sungyeol was still gone, and Woohyun kept shooting glances at Sunggyu, who kept his sight firmly set on his rice and nothing else. No dialogue was exchanged whatsoever, and things were starting to get extremely uncomfortable. Sungjong was just about to leave the table when Sungyeol returned.

“Sorry that took so long. Some annoying freshman girl accused me of cutting so I had to wait an extra five minutes for my cookie.” He took a remorseful bite out of his dessert. “Why is everyone so quiet?”

“Probably because you were gone,” said Sungjong.

“Ha, ha,” Sungyeol said sarcastically. “Oh, I know. Where’s Hoya and Dongwoo? Did they skip lunch today?”

With all the weirdness going on between Woohyun and Sunggyu, Sungjong hadn’t even noticed that two of his friends were missing. But now that Sungyeol had mentioned it, he was curious. What were those two doing? It wasn’t usual for them to be alone…

 

a/n: Hehe, can any of you guess what's going to happen in the next chapter? Sorry about this chapter being a bit short! I originally planned for this chapter and the next one to be combined, but this half ended up being longer than I expected. Anyways, I'll hopefully have the next chapter up by this weekend. Thank you so much for reading and commenting!! <3