All in a day's work

Failed From The Very Beginning

"Come on! You promised to go with me to this place that Yoong and I found the other day!"

"Unnie! Don't go back on your word or I shall ignore you for the rest of your life!"

"Do you know how busy-"

"Pweaseeeeee..."

"You know I can't stand your aegyo right?"

"Pweaseeeee unnieeeee..."

"Argh fine."

"ASSA!"

So that was how Sunny got dragged by her closest dongsaengs from the paperwork she was handling after a mission to go to some place. Yep, you read it right. Sunny was not fired from the agency but rather, given a break to "reflect on her rudeness" and only returned to her company 2 months later. Disgruntled and unimpressed, Sunny felt even more lethargic as Yoona and Yuri "kidnapped" her and drove a good 30 minutes away from the company.

"I don't think this is a good idea Yuri-ah." The area that they stopped at seemed vaguely familiar but Sunny just could not put her finger on it. The place seemed to be teeming with danger and there were broken streetlamps everywhere.

"Let's go back because this place is seriously giving me the creeps."

"We will go back after you see this place and it is not that scary." Yuri replied, already dragging Sunny to some building.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Sunny could not help but ask seeing how they ended up at some derelict building.

"We have been together for a year and you still don't trust me?" Yoona faked a gasp while holding onto her chest. "I'm so broken-hearted."

"YOU HAVE YURI-" Sunny's statement died down halfway as she saw the bar hidden away smartly behind the building. Again, she felt the shivers as she found this place strangely familiar and old feelings that she had once tucked away with difficulty starting to resurface. Uneasiness started to pool in Sunny's stomach as Yoona pushed her into the bar.

"Look unnie!" Yoona's voice distracted her from spacing out.

Looking at where Yoona was pointing it, Sunny suddenly felt a wave of nausea wash over her as dots started to connect with one another in Sunny's mind. 

This was no ordinary bar. 

This was a fighting bar. 

The exact same bar where she once found a certain someone in need of help. 

All at once, Sunny restrained herself from vomitting at the sudden realization.

But somewhere deep within her, Sunny knew that she felt a flicker of hope that she would meet Taeyeon again.

********
Taeyeon was doing squats in the backroom as Sooyoung dropped by to watch her.

"I'm going to bet on you again so please make sure you win this fight."

"Of course I would win. Did you see my opponent yet? He looks so scrawny that I can knock him down just by breathing on him."

"Overconfident much?"

"Nah I'm just stating the facts."

Shooing Sooyoung out of the room, Taeyeon put on her hand wraps and mentally prepared herself for the battle ahead, just like she always did before a fight. 

"You can do this Taeyeon." With that, Taeyeon put on her hoodie and went out to the ring, with the applause and cheers from the drunken viewers in the background.

She would not hesitate to defend her title as the best fighter of all time.

********
"This time.....we have Ashwin..... versus the currently reigning champion of all time...T!!!!!!!"

Sunny could not care less about the fight as her mind strayed back to Taeyeon again.

Where are you?

Ordering another drink, Sunny sat back on the seats she stared at the fighter wearing a hoodie disinterestedly.

"Unnie! Do you know that T's the best fighter in here according to the bartender? I bet he could even beat Yuri who has combat training every single day." Yoona said excitedly.

"Who's T?" Sunny's eyes were already closing.

"That guy with the hoodie who you are staring at."

"He looks so small and petite that I doubt he would have enough strength to beat the other guy."

As if to contradict Sunny's statement, T flipped the other guy onto the floor, knocking him out with a flurry of punches and kicks much to the crowd's delight.

"Seems like I was wrong." Sunny said monotonously as she stared at T's back, wondering why his back had looked so feminine.

"He certainly can beat the hell out of his opponent for someone his size." Yuri joined Sunny as she downed the remaining of her drink.

"Come on let's go home. Boss had just texted you that you have to eliminate another drug dealer early tomorrow night."

"How did you know?"

"I hacked your phone...?" Yoona answered sheepishly.

"Righttttt....I totally forgot you were one of the agency's best hackers." Sunny could barely hear her own voice.

"Let's go." Yuri butted in and dragged the 2 people into the car.

********
"WHOOOHOOOOOOO I HAVE JUST MADE SOME MONEY FROM YOU AGAIN!" Sooyoung danced a celebratory dance as she collected her winnings.

"At this rate I'm going to be a millionaire just by betting on you."

Groaning, Taeyeon did not bother to comment as she unwrapped her hand wraps, wanting to get home for a nice warm shower and a midnight snack.

"You know, during the fight I felt this strange feeling of someone watching me? Do you see anyone who was staring at my back?"

"There are tons of people so of course there would be someone watching you duh." Sooyoung answered matter of factly as she waved the dollar notes in her hand, dancing to some imaginary music.

"Anyways, that guy is so bony that I swear if I haven't wrapped my hand, my knuckles would be totally busted." Taeyeon carefully examined her now red knuckles, checking to see if there were any bones broken.

"At least you still beat him." Sooyoung stated as she proceeded to kiss the dollar note in her hand.

"You know, instead of just smooching the money, you could have come and asked me whether I was okay right?"

"Money is more important than you anyways."

"YAH!"

*********

Sunny had almost always worked solo and this time was no exception.

She jogged along the park trail with a backpack over her shoulders. It was nearly 7 at night. The air was crisp, and the sun was almost down. The taxis were honking. The pedestrians were marching home from a day's work.

However, Sunny looked neither right nor left as her job did not allow her to make such observations. She had been to Gangnam many times. And she was not here as a tourist. She never went anywhere as a tourist.

Sunny had put on a dark visor and black outfit so that her pale milky skin was not visible. This park in Gangnam had particularly more surveilliance cameras than any park in Korea. The bridge was up ahead. Sunny reached it, stopped and jogged in place, cooling down.

The door was built into the huge rock. It was locked. She had a pick gun in her front pocket and opened the door. This door led to a combination storage and electrical power room used by workers who kept the park clean and lit. They had already gone home and would not be back until 5 the next morning.
That would be more than enough time to do what Sunny needed to do.

Sunny slipped off her black knapsack and opened it. Inside were things that Sunny had carried along for almost every mission.

She had recently turned 22. She was very short, 158cm, but her brain and skills made up for her height as an agent. As Sunny had once said, height is not everything that matters in real life. (GO #teamshort lol)

There were a number of pieces of equipment. In 2 minutes Sunny turned 3 of those pieces into a sniper rifle. The 4th piece of equipment was her scope. She attached it to the top of her rifle.

She went through every single detail of the plan at least 20 times--both the shot she had to make and her safe exit that would follow. This took 60 minutes.

Then Sunny laid down on the concrete and tried to go to sleep. In 5 hours and 19 minutes it would be time to go to work. Sunny could dwell on the current state of her life--sleeping alone in a park waiting for someone to appear so she could kill him, but she chose to ignore it. Sunny had no trouble falling asleep on the hard cement floor. She had done so many times. And she would have no problem waking up. And she did, 4 hours later.


It was dawn, barely past 4.30am. Now came the most important part: Sunny's sight line.

On the wall of the storage room were mortar seams. But if one looked closely, there were 2 holes in the seams, placed at precise locations to allow one to see outside. These holes had been filled back in with a material tinted to look like mortar. This had been the result of a team from Sunny's agency posing as repair crew.

Sunny used pincers to grip the end of the substance and pull it out, revealing the 2 holes. 
Her scope lined precisely with the top hole and Sunny slid her rifle muzzle through the other one, stopping it before it reached the end of the hole.

5 minutes to go. Sunny put on her earwig. She would now get a stand down signal if her target had not changed its course.

45 seconds. Sunny willed her heart rate down, allowing herself to take longer breaths.

20 seconds. Sunny stopped the trembling of her hand and the wavering of her eye.

1 second. Sunny's finger dropped to the trigger and fired.

"Target eliminated." Sunny allowed herself a smile, and proceeded on to her escape plan. Easy peasy. All in a day's work.