Epilogue

The Summer Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Epilogue

“Are you sure you have everything packed?” Mikyung was squawking, as Yulhee carried her suitcase up the steps of the train station.

Yulhee gave a deep sigh. “Yes, mum. Calm down. I’ve got everything I need.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, it’s just that today is such a big day!” Mikyung wailed, running her hands down her face.

“I know, Mum,” Yulhee laughed, “I’m a big girl, don’t worry.”

“A mother always worries about her children, Yulhee,” her mother scolded, tapping her on the forehead. “I can’t believe you’re not still twelve!”

“There she goes again,” Seungwan sighed, making Yulhee and Seulgi giggle. It felt so natural, all of this. Things had changed so much, but still, some things were the same. She was glad for it.

It was autumn, and the leaves of the trees around the station were red and crisp, falling down and blanketing the ground. The air smelt of pine. It had been three months since she had struck a deal with Kai that night, and already it seemed half a lifetime ago. On the platform, they saw Suho, Eunju, Kyungsoo and Moonkyu waiting for them, Kyungsoo’s suitcase by his feet. Haru was standing behind Eunju. In a little basket, Dinah slept peacefully on an old sheet.

Yulhee studied the station for a long moment, seeing the old ticket seller give her a disapproving look before returning to his paper. Several parents with children were waiting for the train. She recognized some of them from their time in the Woods. The station cat was curled up under a bench, and it mewed softly when she crouched down and waved goodbye to it.

In the distance, she saw the school buildings, the bakery, the town hall, all the places she had known and lived in. Despite the trauma of the summer months, life continued on. She would miss this place.

Yulhee allowed herself to say goodbye.

Suddenly, something passed by them. It was Lay, white ears twitching frantically, as he cried, “I’m late, I’m late! Oh, hullo there, Yulhee! Good luck on your adventure! So many messages to deliver! Oh, hullo children! How are you today? Madam, you’re looking well!”

He waved at the children sitting on the benches, several of whom waved back and asked ‘Mr Rabbit’ if he could give them a ride or show them his ears. As the sweetest creature from Wonderland, he had been quite accepted by the children of the town. How good, how children took things so easily in their stride. The adults had been wary of things at first, and though she suspected most didn’t believe them, many had been won over by those that did.

There was a faint puff of smoke, and she saw Chanyeol appear momentarily on the platform, giving her a little wave and mouthing ‘be safe’, before popping out of existence again. Chanyeol spent more time in Wonderland now, though he still seemed curiously taken with the human world.

A few brown feathers dropped onto the ground, and Yulhee looked up and saw Chen perched on the roof of the station, Tao sitting next to him. Chen winked at her, and Tao even cracked a slight smile despite his gloom. She would miss those four, she thought to herself. They had become as much a part of the town as all the people in it.

Not all the creatures from Wonderland had made their peace, though. Chanyeol had told her that Baekhyun remained reclusive, still furious at what had occurred. It was a warning to them all, and one Yulhee would not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter