The Knave's Plea

The Summer Children
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Knave's Plea

Eunju was sitting at the kitchen table when Yulhee walked into the room. She beamed at her. Now she was over three months pregnant, and there was a faint swell to her belly that hadn’t been there before. It was probably a good thing they had told Kyungsoo, or else he might have been faced with the horrible question of having to ask whether it was pregnancy or weight gain. Her dark hair was tied in a neat braid around her head, and in her hands was the morning paper. It blazed yet another disappearance. Still dazed from Kyungsoo’s words, and utterly uncertain where she stood on the matter, Yulhee could only blink when Eunju said brightly, “Those flowers really do suit you. You should make them part of your fashion.”  

The flowers liked the compliment, and hummed something that sounded suspiciously like a love ballad she'd heard on the radio. She sat down heavily at the table, running her fingers through her hair. Eunju cocked her head quizzically. “What’s the matter?”

“Kyungsoo confessed to me,” Yulhee said softly. When Eunju gave her a perplexed look, Yulhee explained further what had happened. Eventually the whole story came tumbling out: the fact that they’d been chased, the destruction, the fight, the apology, and the confession. “I believe him when he says that he doesn’t want to be this person anymore. I really do.”

“I’d agree with that,” Eunju said after considering it a moment. “Kyungsoo is a straightforward person, and he’s quite mature. He wouldn’t try to emotionally manipulate you into sticking around by giving you false promises.”

Nibbling on her lip, Yulhee responded, “I’m just worried that he might not be able to. It took me a while. I’m still learning how to. I haven’t even spoken to my mother and sisters yet about all this!”

“Well, I think you did the right thing in telling him off,” Eunju told her, “You can’t enable that kind of behaviour. You have to draw a line, and make him understand that he can’t cross it. I do think that being around you, and me, and your family and friends, has been a very positive thing for Kyungsoo. He's changed a lot. This morning we had an entire conversation about the baby, my job, and his plans for the future, without even bringing up the Woods. It's amazing. You've been good for him, Yulhee.”

“So I wouldn’t be enabling him if I told him that I felt the same way?” Yulhee asked carefully, feeling herself blushing all the way to the roots of her hair. “You don’t think he expects a response, do you?”

“No, I think you’re correct that he didn’t expect anything out of it. I think he was just trying to figure it out himself. And he’s said himself that he can take rejection. My advice? Take it at your own pace. Be clear to him how you feel, both about him and about what he’s doing. You’ve already done the latter.”

Yulhee sighed, flopping her head down on the table. Eunju patted her sympathetically on the back. “Cheer up, Yulhee. I think, all things considered, this could be the start of a beautiful romance.”

“What did you want to tell me?” Yulhee asked, quickly changing the subject before she could turn into a tomato. The fact of the matter was that she really did think that Kyungsoo could change, and that he wanted to, and she was prepared to wait for that if it came down to things. She just didn't know if he was. 

Instead of responding, Eunju seemed to bite on her lip hesitantly. Then she asked, “Does the White Rabbit have dimples?”

Thrown, Yulhee frowned at her. “Yes? Why would you ask that?”

Drumming her fingertips on the table, Eunju finally murmured, “I think I saw him.”

Yulhee stared at her. “That’s not possible, unless –”

Eunju showed Yulhee her arms, smooth and bare. “No scars. I’m not one of you. I even went back and checked, just in case. My parents are who they say they are. But I’m completely serious – I saw the White Rabbit yesterday. Dark hair, dopey look, dimples, white ears, watch drawn onto his skin. I’m describing him correctly, aren’t I?”

“You are,” Yulhee said slowly, still utterly stunned. “Did you really see him?”

“Well, it was more like for a few seconds out of the corner of my eye. He was right there. I know what I saw,” Eunju insisted.

“I believe you,” Yulhee said breathlessly, “But if you can see him – I don’t understand how this is possible.”

“I don’t either,” Eunju admitted, “I haven’t told Junmyeon about it yet because I didn’t want him to panic and drag me to a hospital on the off-chance I’m ill and the baby’s in danger. But from what you’ve told us, only those who were taken to Wonderland should be able to see them.”

“Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Wonderland is dying?” Yulhee said, thinking aloud. “Maybe their magic that conceal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter