Chapter 2

The Wu Family's Pet Owl

Rating/Warning : none

Thank you to everyone who have read, commentted, subscribed and upvoted this story. XOXO

 


 

Kris loved his pack mates to death. He really did. He would do everything in his power to keep his pack mates happy and healthy. But at the moment, he was extremely annoyed at both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

Despite being famous as the unapproachable cold city guy/Alpha, Kris was actually a member of the varsity basket ball team. He had the skill, the height and the aura to intimidate his opponents. Even though all players were required to consume suppressant before playing in any match, Kris just exuded this dangerous vibe that wasn’t part of his wolf persona. His team mates privately thought that Kris would make one hell of a mafia boss if the tall guy had any inclination to join the underworld.

His team mates were used to it (the suppressant played a big part), but that didn’t mean they would go out of their way to befriend him off the court. (Because then he was off the suppressant.)

That particular day, Kris was quite pissed at his pack mates because he had a match in 4 hours, and he couldn’t find a single one of his jerseys. He had them washed, ironed and hung inside his closet, but as he flipped through, he couldn’t find any. He knew who were responsible for the missing clothes though, hence the reason he was banging at Chanyeol’s front door at 3 on a Saturday afternoon.

“Coming! Geez, wait a minute will you.” Chanyeol’s voice could be heard from inside.

Kris felt a vein throbbing on his temple when he saw Chanyeol opening the door wearing one of his missing jerseys.

“I have a game in 4 hours and you’re wearing my jersey.” Kris bit out.

Chanyeol’s eyes widen and he stepped back to let his leader in.

“Sorry?” He followed the stomping Kris into the living room where Kyungsoo was watching Pororo with a tub of popcorn on his lap.

“And I expected better from you Do Kyungsoo.” Kris stood in front of the TV with both hands on his hips.

Kyungsoo mumbled a soft “I’m sorry.” While his fingers played with the hem of the other missing jersey.

Kris shifted his gaze back and forth between Kyungsoo’s trembling lower lip and Chanyeol’s puppy eyes.  “Take it off, both of you.” He sighed in defeat.

Both boys reluctantly took the jerseys off before handing them to Kris. Trying not to cave in under the dual attack, Kris stuffed the jerseys into his bag and took out two shirts. He threw one at Kyungsoo and the other at Chanyeol. Both boys immediately donned their leader’s shirt and sniffed at the comforting scent.

“Next time, steal my other shirt and stay off the jerseys. Please.” He said before he made his way out.

“No hug for me?” Kyungsoo’s small voice called out to him.

Kris groaned and looked at his watch. Even if the game was still 4 hours away, he still had pre-game briefing and he still needed to wash his jerseys. But Kyungsoo’s whimper made the decision up for him. He let his bag dropped to the floor and turned to stalk towards the couch.

He plopped down next to Kyungsoo and dragged the smaller boy into his lap. Kyungsoo happily burrowed into Kris’ embrace. Chanyeol, who had been fidgeting on the sideline, whooped and threw himself on the duo.

“Ack, bad Chanyeol! Bad Chanyeol!” Kris reprimanded as he felt a bony elbow dug into his side painfully.

Chanyeol pretended not to hear and playfully nipped at Kris’ shoulder instead. They stayed tangled together for some time, rubbing, biting and once or twice, Chanyeol felt Kris his neck. Kris’ big hands slide over both boys’ neck, asserting his dominance. Too bad he was on suppressant; otherwise he could scent marked them at the same time.

Kyungsoo nosed at the warm palm while Chanyeol nosed the back of Kris’ ear. Their scents mingled and Kyungsoo purred in contentment. They ended up with Kris sitting in the middle of the couch, Kyungsoo curled on one end with his head on the leader’s lap while Chanyeol draped himself onto Kris’ other side, his chin digging into Kris’ shoulder.

Kris only planned for a short cuddle, he really did but Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were absolutely adorable. He didn’t have the heart to leave them. That was until his phone rang and he was reminded that he had laundry to do and game to attend.

He half-heartedly pushed at the two, and stood up. “I really need to get going.”

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol let out a chorus of dismay, but Kris had already picked up his fallen bag and steadily made his way out of the flat. He refused to turn around, because he knew Kyungso and Chanyeol were sporting matching pouts and puppy eyed looks. Kris absolutely would not turn around.

“See you guys after the game.” He shouted before closing the front door.

Once outside, he heaved a relieved sigh and rummaged through his bag for his still ringing phone. It was from Joonmyeon, the captain, informing him that the pre-game briefing was moved ahead of schedule and could Kris please come now.

Kris groaned and speed walked to the nearest bus station. He figured he didn’t have enough time to wash his jerseys and decided to just wear the one Chanyeol stole. Because wearing the one with Kyungsoo’s Omega scent was absolutely out of the question. Kris was just possessive like that.

 

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol never went to any of Kris’ games. They only watched the recordings.

Kyungsoo had wanted to go, but Kris and Chanyeol vehemently disagreed. Kyungsoo’s carrier Omega scent was too potent, and sitting inside a gymnasium among hundreds other people with only Chanyeol’s scent to protect him was literally asking for trouble. Kris’ menacing purebred Alpha scent was pretty much nonexistent because of the suppressant he had to take.

One time, Kyungsoo had begged so prettily and adorably that Chanyeol caved in. They tried to attend a game without Kris’ knowing. They only made it into the stairs before people started noticing Kyungsoo. All the Alphas in the immediate vicinity began sniffing the air; even the Betas twitched their noses. When a group of one Alpha and two Betas wearing the opponent’s colors eagerly approached them, Chanyeol aborted their whole plan and high tailed it out of the stadium, dragging a squeaking Kyungsoo along.

Chanyeol was no wimp, and underneath the happy virus persona, he was one sly Alpha with mean kicks. But he was also smart. Those three were only the first wave of pursuers; even if he managed to fend off their advances, there would still be tens, even hundreds more behind them. It was safest to just retreat and scrapped the whole idea of taking Kyungsoo out to watch Kris’ game.

They both kept their little venture into the stadium a secret from Kris, not because they feared the scolding Kris was bound to give them. It was because they knew Kris would feel bad about the whole situation. Kyungsoo’s and Chanyeol’s curiosity was sated though, because after the game, Kris came over with a recording of the game. They spent the rest of the night watching the game in a comfortable wolf pile.

 


 

Another hallmark in their history as a pack came from a purebred Alpha transfer student. The newcomer, Brad, was of mixed parentage. His father was Caucasian while his mother was Asian. It resulted in tall handsome boy with black hair but blue eyes.

On Brad’s first day of Uni, Kris happened to be away for a game. The leader had left one of his sweaty hoodie for Kyungsoo to wear, but after the Omega wore it to sleep the night before, the scent had started to vanish, overpowered by Kyungsoo’s.

Chanyeol made it a point to drape himself over Kyungsoo even more than usual, to make up for the lack of Kris, and he did a good job. At least until lunch time came around. Even with Kris’ absence, the other students already knew of Kyungsoo, so they left him alone. Some might have casted furtive glances at him, but that was all.

Some of Chanyeol’s Beta and human friends joined the two at the famous table. Kyungsoo didn’t mind them, because they weren’t as affected by his scent. They were chatting and joking around, Kyungsoo joined in once in a while. Then the dining hall door slammed open and entered the Brad with all of his purebred presence.

The rest of the students were startled by the sound and in unison they turned to look at the new comer. It was a general consensus among the students that you do not let your wolf out on campus ground. It posed too many problems. Alphas tended to be extremely territorial, while Omegas tended to be easily overwhelmed. The Betas and humans had it easier, but being caught in the middle of territorial dispute between Alphas was the last thing they want.

So to keep up the peace, all wolves must be kept in check. It helped somewhat, but some strong Alphas, like Kris, just couldn’t help it. Their presence and scent was naturally overwhelming, even when their wolves were sleeping.

So for Brad to make his entrance in such a dramatic way was shocking to say the least. The new student didn’t even bother to hide his wolf side. He flaunted it instead. His wolf prowled with low growl, gauging the reactions from his surroundings. Then he stopped and sniffed the air.

Chanyeol saw the exact moment realization dawned on the purebred, and he cursed before he stood up and yanked Kyungsoo out of his seat and shoved him behind his back. Kyungsoo’s surprised squeal caught everyone’s attention including Brad.

Brad turned and his piercing blue eyes zeroed in on Chanyeol. He tilted his head and stalked toward the tall boy. Chanyeol had no other choice but to let his own wolf out. Sadly, he was only an Alpha, no matter how strong he was, he couldn’t hope to win against a purebred in an all out fight.

Chanyeol shrugged off his jacket hurriedly before ing it to Kyungsoo. He looked over his shoulder and mouthed ‘run’ to Kyungsoo whose eyes had widen even more.

Kyungsoo took the jacket and ran out of the dining hall from the far door. He clutched at Chanyeol’s jacket desperately while running as fast as he could to the parking lot. He fished the car keys from Chanyeol’s jacket pocket and with trembling fingers he managed to open the car doors and drove away in no time.

Chanyeol was bravely standing on Brad’s way, blocking his path. The purebred growled at him, but Chanyeol stood his ground. He already spent one and a half years as member of Kris’ pack, and he was ready. Kris had a game he loved to play privately with Chanyeol. It was ‘How long does it take for Chanyeol to surrender to Kris’ wolf?’

When they first played this game, Chanyeol couldn’t even last one second. But they played this game almost every day, so little by little, Chanyeol build up a tolerance. At the moment, Chanyeol couldn’t thank Kris enough for their little game.

Brad’s wolf was menacing, that was for sure. His aura was hot, like a fiery wolf ready to charge down anything on his path. But it was no match for Kris’ wolf. Chanyeol recalled how terribly cold Kris’ aura was. Like thousands of ice needles hovering above, and that was when he had his wolf under wrap. When Kris’ let out his wolf, the feeling was magnified hundreds time fold. Chanyeol might be biased, but he had no doubt that Kris was the strongest purebred Alpha in all of South Korea, maybe even in all of Asia.

That was why he managed to hold off Brad long enough for Kyungsoo to make his escape.

But Brad had already gotten a whiff of Kyungsoo’s sweet sweet scent, and he wouldn’t let some Alpha stopped him from claiming the little Omega. He pushed at the Alpha, quite surprised to find that his opponent was as tall as he was.

Chanyeol braced himself and pushed back. From the corner of his eyes he saw Baekhyun, his human best friend, scampered off. No doubt to fetch campus security. The rest of his table had stood huddling together in front of the door Kyungso just exited from, in an attempt to block it. They may not have the power to stop Brad, but Chanyeol appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

Brad pushed again, and this time he used enough force to make Chanyeol staggered few steps behind and bumped into some chairs. The sound of steel scraping against the linoleum floor spurred the other students into actions. Some upper classmen tried to break them off, but Brad was snapping and growling at anyone who came within 3 feet.

Some of Kyungsoo’s classmates joined Chanyeol’s friend in front of the door. Kyungsoo was always so polite, sweet and helpful; they would do whatever they could to help him out.

The push and snarls had taken a downward spiral into flying punches. Chanyeol tried his best to avoid the hits, but he was caught in the jaw by one of Brad’s hook. Chanyeol fell on one knee, but he gritted his teeth and stood back up. Thankfully, Baekhyun came back with four security guards before anything worse could happen.

It took three of the guards, a can of pepper spray and a mild shock from a taser to bring Brad’s wolf under control. The security then escorted Brad and Chanyeol out of the dining hall and into the Disciplinary Committee’s room.

Brad got a two day suspension and a stern talking to. Chanyeol got away scot free and was excused for the rest of his classes. The rest of the students who witnessed the entire drama were chatting excitedly among themselves. Then one student piped up and made the dining hall fell into a deafening silence.

“Do you think Kris will let the guy live after he saw Chanyeol’s bruise?”

Few seconds passed before the dining hall erupted into complete and utter chaos. Speculations on how Kris would deal with the new guy were flying back and forth. At the end of the day, a large betting pool was opened.

Chanyeol was on the bus home when he got wind of it from Baekhyun, who was betting that Kris would chopped off Brad’s member but let him live. He smiled ruefully, mindful of his throbbing jaw and texted back.

’Pull out your money. Bet all you have on Kris making Brad running around the soccer field with pink Minnie Mouse headband on his head and glitter all over his body.’

Chanyeol was an okay guy. He was nice and kind and happy all the time. But he was a vindictive bastard when it came to Kyungsoo. And he would convince Kris that Brad deserved all of the humiliation Chanyeol had planned for him.