Chapter 6

The Wu Family's Pet Owl

Rating/Warning : none

I was supposed to upload this yesterday, but some things came up. So here it is, one day late. Also thank you to everyone who have read, subscribed, upvoted and commented. I'll try to reply to your comments sometime soon. Love you all. XOXO

 


 

Jongin walked beside Sehun as they passed through the throng of students, eager to reach the cafeteria. Even though the hallway was packed with hungry students, there was a clear passage for Sehun (and Jongin) to walk through. It was time like this that Jongin felt a tiny bit of envy toward Sehun’s purebred status. Everyone just unconsciously made way for him.

They reached the cafeteria and neatly joined the queue. When it was their turn, Sehun his charm and smiled his famous eye smile which got him a little bit of extra sausage from the ahjumma. Jongin only raised an eyebrow in mild annoyance because he was used to this particular tactic.

Then Sehun led him to a table at the center of the cafeteria. It was obviously the popular table, because the table was enough for 12 people, but only 5 sat there at the moment. Sehun placed his tray on the table and called out to his hyungs.

“Hyung, hyung, hyung.” Sehun said in that bratty tone which was strangely endearing.

All eyes riveted to look at the maknae and Jongin.

Jongin gulped as he became the center of the attention. Moreover, he could see a pair of cold eyes bore into his. The owner of the piercing orbs was a tall purebred Alpha, sitting at the head of the table. Jongin felt his knees buckled as the heavy aura enveloped him. He felt as if a hand, made of ice, took hold of his heart and squeezed it ever so gently. Then the dreadful feeling was gone as fast as it came.

Jongin took a deep breath and realized that Sehun was introducing him to the table.

“Hyung this is Nini.” Sehun said cheerfully, unaware of the discomfort Jongin had just been subjected to.

“Ah, sleepy Nini!” A tall Alpha with sparkling eyes and big ears said in recognition.

Jongin could feel his ears and cheeks burned in embarrassment. He hastily bowed to the rest of the table and stuttered a polite greeting. Then he tilted his head just so to bare his throat to the other purebred Alpha. He forced his body to relax and appear respectful and submissive.

Jongin wasn’t stupid. He knew that he was entering another pack’s territory and even if Sehun was the one who invited him, the leader and true holder of authority was the sitting purebred Alpha. Jongin waited for some kind of acknowledgement, and he heard a grunt signaling acceptance. Jongin bowed again and made a point to not place his tray beside Sehun’s. He knew better than to claim a seat without being told to.

The tall Alpha with sparkly eyes leaned to whisper to the purebred Alpha and gave him a meaningful look. The purebred Alpha sighed heavily but he turned to nose at the Alpha’s cheek. Then he turned to face Jongin and spoke in a deep voice.

“Have a seat.”

Sehun smiled brightly at the older purebred Alpha and sat down before pulling Jongin to sit beside him. Jongin carefully placed his tray and sat down beside Sehun.

That was when the sweet scent of an Omega hit his nose.

 

*****

 

Kris looked at Nini with a clear displeasure. He wasn’t usually a sour face. But he had noticed something that the rest of the table missed.

The moment Nini walked inside the cafeteria, Kyungsoo subtly straightened in his seat.

Kris noted how Kyungsoo discreetly sniffed the air. He noted how a tiniest bit of pink hue was blooming on Kyungsoo’s cheeks. He noted how Kyungsoo’s grip on his chopstick tightened imperceptibly as Sehun introduced this Nini to the table. He noted how Kyungsoo’s breath hitched ever so slightly as Nini sat down near him, with only Sehun separating them.

Kris wasn’t usually a grumpy pant. But he knew before everybody else, that this Nini would snatch Kyungsoo away from him. Kris couldn’t stop what was beginning to happen between Nini and Kyungsoo, and even if he could, he wouldn’t. He cared about Kyungsoo too much to stand in the way of his happiness.

But at the moment Kyungsoo was still his Omega and this Nini boy was just Sehun’s friend. Kris only had Kyungsoo for a year and he still wanted to cuddle the squishy Omega freely. But sooner or later Kyungsoo would be off limit to him. Kyungsoo was his precious Omega. Kris wouldn’t hand him over without some kind of compensation. He quite enjoyed the strong discomfort radiating off of this Nini so Kris decided to torture Nini before the inevitable happened.

 

*****

 

Kyungsoo gulped as Nini sat down almost right next to him. He took a deep breath and confirmed his guess. Nini was the source of the heavenly smell Kyungsoo just caught. Before, Kyungsoo had never been attracted to any Alpha’s scent, not even Kris’. To Kyungsoo, his Alpha pack mates’ scents were comforting and gave him a sense of security.

But Nini. Nini was a special, special case.

Nini’s scent woke something within Kyungsoo. Nini smelled like damp earth after a rain. Like a mug of hot chocolate on a cold winter night. Nini smelled warm and alive and Kyungsoo just wanted to wrap the glorious scents around himself and bask in it.

 

*****

 

Chanyeol noticed how Kris mentally threw daggers at Nini’s direction. He looked up at the clearly nervous Nini and couldn’t help but felt confuse at the whole situation. Kris was usually aloof, seldom showed his preferences about anyone. He usually appeared cold and uncaring about other wolves aside from his pack mates. This was the first time Chanyeol saw the clear dislike furrowing Kris’ eyebrows.

Instinctively Chanyeol slid closer to Kris. He brushed his leg against Kris’ and placed his palm at the small of Kris’ back. Kris leaned back against Chanyeol’s hand and the crease on his forehead lessened. He slung an arm around Chanyeol’s shoulder and his fingertips grazed the side of Chanyeol’s neck before a sudden surge of possessiveness took over him and he unconsciously gripped Chanyeol’s nape.

A litany of ‘mine mine mine mine’ ran across his mind. And in that one moment Kris came to a decision.

He could let Kyungso go (although very reluctantly). But there wasn’t any force in this universe that could take Chanyeol away from him. He’d kill anyone who even thought about it.

And the way Chanyeol’s palm slid to clutch desperately at his waist told Kris that Chanyeol felt the same way too.

 

*****

 

Sehun who was oblivious to all the drama unfolding before his eyes cheerily introduced everyone to Jongin.

"Nini, that is Kris hyung. He's my pack leader. And that one is Yeollie hyung. The one beside him is Baekkie hyung and beside Baekkie hyung is Chen Chen hyung. And this is Kyungie hyung." Sehun finished with a flourish.

"Hello hyungs, nice to meet all of you." Jongin's voice wobbled a bit, but he soldiered on. "My name is Kim Jongin. Please call me Jongin." He added.

There was a chorus of 'hi' and 'hello' from around the table, also a grunt from Kris. Jongin tried not to be too intimidated by the pack leader, but it was hard. To Jongin, Kris hyung was danger personified.

But then Kyungie hyung spoke and Jongin forgot everything else.

"Hi Nini." Came the soft greeting.

And Jongin decided in that moment that he loved being called Nini.