El Cuervo

In Baek We Trust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I sat in a chair next to Philip while he got stitches on his knuckles. I couldn’t believe he actually went so far as to punch the glass on the kitchen floor and complain about how his hands will have ugly scars forever. Why was it that even when he was in pain he still amanged to think about his looks...?

Although, I found it funny that the media always had something negative to say about him but they never once mentioned his temper. I mean, it’s gotta be pretty bad if you’re willing to punch a floor with glass shards all over it! Hopefully his temper won't create problems in the future.

  Once the doctor finished sewing up Philip’s hands he wrapped gause around them and gave him two large rolls. In exchange for the man's work and silence, Philip reached into his coat pocket and gave him $5,000. The doctor nodded, shoved the money in his own pocket before walked out of the room. It must be so nice to just carry around a wad of cash just because and have the ability to just give it to anyone.

  Philip turned to me and said, “I’m putting you through a lot right now, I’m sorry.”

  I squeezed his arm reassuringly and said, “It’s okay, just remember that I’ll be by your side to support you.” Nothing about this was okay. Knowing that my life was in danger was not okay. Knowing that someone might try to kill my in-laws and snatch everything that my husband worked hard for was not okay either. My life was turned upside in less than a month’s time but I also see that my husband’s life was crumbling right before his eyes. I haven’t known Philip for very long but there are things about his personality that I absolutely detest while there are also things about him that I adore, this is something that made me grow an attachement towards him. The truth was that I wanted him to succeed and that seeing him on the floor this morning made me realize that his pain was also mine.

  “Thank you.” he muttered.

  “Kevin’s been trying to call people from the company to see what happened but no one will answer or return his calls.” I explained.

  Philip gave me a slight shrug, “Oh well I guess. You win some and lose some.”

  “That’s all you can say?” I asked.

  “What am I supposed to say?” Philip asked.

  “That you'll fight back!” I shouted.

  He turned away from me, his eyes were listless as he stared off into space. “My family is safe so the rest doesn’t matter. As long as you guys are happy...I could care less.”

  “But can’t you see that we aren’t? Your mom was crying at the table, she’s even crying in the car right now. She can't bare to see you so upset. Your brother is worried about you, even your dad is worried (eventhough he won’t admit it).” I said, leaving me chair so I could kneel down in front of him and make him look at me.

  Philip’s eyes scanned the space in front of him before they finally looked down at me. When his eyes landed on me I regreted ever leavingmy chair. I saw nothing but an empty void, like all the life and joy that once occupied them had be ripped out and destroyed. I could feel my throat closing up and my eyes began to burn the more I looked at him.

  I just wanted one smile. The same smile he gives me when he’s always joking around. Even if it’s just a tiny curve of his lips...anything would be better than seeing this broken person that I see before me right now.

  “You’ve told me about everyone else, but what about you? How do you feel?” he asked.

  I looked away from him and searched for that answer myself. I then looked back up at him and managed to say, “Seeing you hurt right now makes me hurt. I don’t want you to lose something so important to you, it’s just not fair.”

  I couldn't it in anymore and started to cry. Philip’s eyes softened and his stiff hands gently touched my cheeks. He wiped my face slowly with his fingertips, trying not to curl his hands up to keep the stitches in tact. “Please don’t cry.” he muttered.

  “I can’t help it!” I snapped as I stood up. “You’re just sitting there and letting this happen! I can see how much you want to stop this! Don’t just sit there, fight for what you love! This is exactly what Guerrero wants so he can take your company from you! Are you just gonna let him have it without a fight?!”

  Philip was silent for a few minutes, letting my words resonate with him before I saw his eyes bring in a new feeling of determination. He stood up and grinned, “You’re right. I can’t let him take everything from me without a fight.”

  “Good! So what will you do?!” I asked.

 

Five of Philip’s strongest men in the mafia looked after Kevin and my mother and father-in-law while they stayed at the townhouse in New York. The three of them were going to stay out of sight and out of mind in order to stay safe while the two of us were going to get to the bottom of all this. After working through the kinks of a well thought out plan of action, the two of us went back to Los Angeles to take care of business.

  When we walked through the doors of Baek Chaek’s headquarters on a Monday morning everyone who

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter