Meet the Baeks

In Baek We Trust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  The four of us sat in the dining room together, drinking shots of the soju that Philip had his butler bring out. I barely touched my glass in fear of intoxication but Philip was working on his third shot, it looked like he was too nervous do anything else. I couldn’t bring myself to understand why he wanted to drink with his parents but since they were doing it too then I guess it’s alright.

  "So how did you two meet?" His father asked.

  "We met at a bookstore that she used to work at." Philip said as he finished another glass.   

  His mother rested her chin on the backs of her hands. She was a beautiful woman who had dark brown hair and round, brown eyes to match. Philip looked just like her only he was male and had burgundy colored hair. She has really strong genes so I wonder what our children would look like. I hope they have my hair but I think they should get Philip’s eyes, they’re so cute and full of wonder...wait what am I even thinking about?! I need to focus on making a good impression with his parents.

  Her pink lips curved into a smile when our eyes met. "How did you meet?"

  The two of us agreed to let Philip talk about small details like time and place while I'd make up stories. We wanted to do our best to make it seem like we weren’t lying about anything when we totally were.

  "Well, I was working at the help desk and he wanted me to tell him where all the planners were. I took him to a corner of the store and recommended a few only to find out that he had actually been trying to ask me on a date for awhile." I said with a laugh.

  "That's so cute!" His mother squealed.

  His mother seemed completely taken by the false story while his father, who was glaring at Philip, was completely silent. He looked almost nothing like Philip aside from the strength in their jaw lines. It's almost a relief that Philip doesn't look like my father-in-law, that man was too scary.

  "Why have we not met or heard about her until now." His father asked in a flat tone.

  "Ayana was nervous about making a good impression along with the fact that ever since she started working at a law firm she's become almost too busy to spend time with me let alone meet the two of you." Philip replied with ease. How many times has he gone over that answer in his head and why is he not being impulsively honest while he’s drinking?

  His father crossed his arms over his chest and said, "I'm guessing you've gotten in quite a bit of trouble with her considering the amount of women you mess with."

  Mrs. Baek glared at her husband and Philip said, "Yup." He downed the third glass and slammed it on the table. "But love her too much to cheat on her..Ayana knows this."

  "Is that so?" Mr. Baek asked.

  "Stop it!" Mrs. Baek said as she nudged her husband's large gut with her tiny elbow. She slowly turned to Philip and I, "He's just...actually, we are a little upset that we weren't invited to the wedding."

  The butler poured Philip another glass and he held it loosely with his fingertips. "It was a crappy ceremony, Kevin didn't come and neither did her mother. I convinced her to marry me the same day so we didn't invite anyone. We'll be having a real ceremony some time soon."

  This was news to me but I didn't want to seem shocked so I just ate my food. I glanced at Philip who had finished his fourth shot and felt my throat burn just by looking at him. I'm not even sure how Philip can stand to drink this stuff like it's water. He grinned drunkenly and leaned against the back of his chair.

  "I see...So how many children will you two have?" She asked.

  I opened my mouth to answer but Philip interrupted me by saying, "Probably 10."

  I choked on a bit of the food and said, "What do you mean ten?!"

  Philip laughed loudly and said, "You know why." It wasn't looking good for us. If he's drunk like this he might end up telling his parents the truth, they'd hate me for sure.

  Mrs. Baek laughed and said, "He's told me that he wants a son and daughter, he makes silly jokes when he's drunk."

  I turned to Philip and said, "Don't drink anymore."

  "Whyyyy? Don't be a party pooper, jagiya." Philip said.

  "You don't need to be drunk in front of your parents, it's rude." I said flatly.

  He opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it. He nodded and turned to his parents, "I'm sorry that..I've lost control."

  He rested his head on my shoulder and I wrapped one arm around his shoulder to rest my hand on his head. I suddenl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter