A Party

Obsession

Taehyung was walking to PE with a few friends and saw Mandy and Alissa in the hall making out.

    “Ooooh steamy!” His friends started pulling out their phones.

    “Yah!” Taehyung put his hands up to block the scene. “Respect their privacy. Besides, it’s disgusting! Let’s just go to class!” He walked away, and his friends followed, a little disappointed.

 

    “What was with that?” Taehyung was confronting Mandy. “We’re at school for a reason.”

    “Hey, my reason was to leave fame a little while. I needed to relax. Schoolwork is NOT relaxing.”

    Taehyung glared at Mandy. “Really? Whatever, you do what you want, but I’m trying to have some morals.

    Mandy laughed. “Boy, the way you look at Courtney, very soon, you’ll forget morals.”

    Taehyung was offended. He didn’t even know what to say. “You…” He sighed, and walked away.

    He walked outside, and stopped so he could remember what his next class was.

    “Hmm… World History, okay…”

    He again started to walk over to the social studies building when Courtney caught up with him.

    “Tae!”

    He turned around to greet her, but he thought of what Mandy said. Because he was extremely attracted to Courtney, he always had to control his actions with extra effort. He didn’t want his hormones to control him or he’d do something he’d regret.

    So he basically wanted to avoid her at the moment.

    “Tae, we’re going to a party on Friday, after school. I want you to come, it’ll be fun!”

    “Uh, who’s the host?” He asked, still walking quickly to get to class.

    “A friend of a friend who doesn’t go here,” she replied. “So, will you come?”

    Taehyung was beginning to feel irritated. “Yeah, yeah, sure, what time?” He could hear the warning bell.

    “Nine o’clock,” She smiled.

    Isn’t that late?

    “Sure, I’ll come, see you later, bye,” and he ran to the building.

 

    Angelica looked at Alissa curiously. She was looking through her outfits, and Angelica knew that they were not appropriate for school.

    “Are you going to a party?” Angelica inquired. She tried not to feel left out again. She heard nothing of a party, but it wasn’t like she wanted to go, seeing Alissa’s outfits.

    “Yeah, on Friday.”

    “What for?”

    “What do you mean?” Alissa tilted her head at her roommate.

    “Well, like, is it a birthday party or…”

    Alissa laughed. “You don’t party just ‘cause?”

    Angelica frowned. Now she could understand. And she knew that she had been blind for years: She never remembered seeing… this side of her.

    “Stay safe, okay?”

    Alissa scoffed, and muttered under her breath, “Yeah, whatever.”

    “Is… Taehyung going to be there?”

    Alissa turned away from the mirror to look at Angelica and frowned. “Yeah… why?”

    “Just curious…”

 

    “Taehyung!”

    He was about to walk out the school gates when his name was called and he was starting to get irritated by all the interruptions.

    He turned around to see it was Angelica. “Oh, hi!” He smiled.

    “Hey.” She smiled. “Um, I’m sorry, I just had a quick question.”

    “Actually, I was going out to eat, do you have any good places in mind?”

    Angelica blushed. Did he just ask her out? When Taehyung saw her face, his eyes got wide in embarrassment. “Of course, if that’s okay with you…”

    “Yeah, sure, actually… um what do you want to eat?”

    Taehyung looked up in thought. “Do you know any Korean restaurants? I’m feeling kind of homesick...”

 

    Taehyung happily grilled his bulgogi and vegetables. While waiting for the food to cook, him and Angelica snacked on their kimchi and washed it down with lemonade.

    “It smells good,” Angelica commented. “I didn’t know we’d have to cook it ourselves, though.”

    Taehyung just smiled. “Did you have something to ask me?”

    “Oh yeah,” Angelica tried to figure out how to say this without sounding too nosey.”Um, I heard you’re going to a party on Friday, with Alissa, Courtney, and Mandy?”

    “A party…?” Taehyung looked confused.

    “Yeah, that’s what Alissa said.

    Taehyung tried to remember, and when he did, he facepalmed himself. “Oh, gosh, Courtney invited me when I wasn’t really paying attention. I was almost late for class.” He laughed. “Well, I guess I am going. Are you?”

    “No,” she replied. “But I don’t know the host.”
    “Me neither, but I think Courtney does.”

    “Not really,” Angelica sighed. “Taehyung, I think you shouldn’t go. I don’t think anyone should be going. But I think you shouldn’t and you should tell Mandy not to go either. It could be dangerous.”

    Taehyung tilted his head. “Wait, why? You think that they're trying to hurt me?”

    Angelica fidgeted in her chair. “Well, I don’t know. I knew Courtney and Alissa for three years, even though not so well. Even so, I wouldn’t want to believe that they would go to that kind of party, but-”

    “What do you mean?” Taehyung was confused.

    “Um, well…” Angelica knew Taehyung wasn’t an idiot. But was he naive? She was confused why he didn’t get it yet. “Seeing what Alissa’s planning on wearing, I think that it’s probably going to be, like, a little… um... “

    Taehyung laughed. “oh, you think we’re going to the club or something? No, it’s going to be at someone’s house.”

    Huh, why  am I so bad at explaining things!

    “Please, just don’t go, you or Mandy. It wouldn’t be right.”

    Taehyung had begun to put his food on his plate, and before eating, he asked, “If this party is so bad, why aren’t you trying to prevent Alissa and Courtney from going?”

    “Because…” but she couldn’t say anything. Why wasn’t she?

    She realized that she was being selfish again. That she didn’t want Courtney and Alissa to hurt these two exchange students, but especially Taehyung.

    They fell quiet. They were thinking the same thing: Why am I here?

    Taehyung shook his head. He had a girlfriend, and he didn’t want to hurt her.

    Angelica began to pull into herself, her head hanging so that her hair covered her face. Courtney was her friend, so why wasn’t she trying to help her? Instead, she was on a date with her boyfriend.

    “You want some bulgogi?” Taehyung asked softly.

    “I’m not hungry. I’ll see you at school.” Angelica got up and walked out of the restaurant before Taehyung could say anything.

 

    “Mandy, what kind of party are we going to?” Taehyung asked when he closed his book.

    Him and Mandy were in the lobby of the boy’s dorm studying Chem. But he kept thinking of what Angelica said to him, and why she seemed so concerned. He felt bad that he had driven her away, because he knew she was a good person. Then again, if the party was to be avoided, why wouldn’t she tell her own friends?

    “What do you mean? A fun one!” Mandy laughed. “There’ll be a lot of girls from other schools!” he teased.

    Taehyung just sighed. “Angelica told me that we shouldn’t go and that it will be dangerous.”

    Mandy pursed his lips. “Well, I like Angelica, she’s nice, but she has jealousy issues. besides, she wants you to break up with Courtney, man.”

    “What?!” Taehyung had never heard that.

    “Yeah, whenever she thinks you two are on a date, she’s depressed and in a daze, and have you seen how she looks at Courtney nowadays? She’s jealous, man. Don’t listen to her, listen to your girlfriend. Of course, unless you want conflict.”

    Taehyung sighed. His friend was right. Why was he even so into Angelica? She hadn’t talked to him much until after he started dating Courtney. And she even happily took up his offer earlier that day to go out. Angelica… she was the dangerous one.

    “No more dates with her okay?” Mandy smiled at him.

    “What-”

    “You heard what I said. Now, let’s go upstairs, hm? We have to sleep, since we have that test tomorrow.”