[Sugar Rush]

Fix You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sugar Rush

 

 

===

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

===

Kris Wu is indeed a busy man. He only meets him whenever he’s the one who calls to meet, like the late night ‘dates’ they started to build a habit for ever since the McD one. Other than that, Kris is a no show, alias he’s like someone whose path doesn’t collide with Tao’s. It feels like Kris is just an imagination because he came without warning and left with no traces. Kris doesn’t even appear often in any media because apparently he doesn’t really like unnecessary publication.

It’s one of those Kris-less days when Tao receives a sudden call from his cousin. And she just had to call him to her office so they can have a lunch together since ‘you have been running away from me for centuries and I need to see how my baby had grown up!’

And of course his cousin just had to work at the headquarters of Wu Enterprise.

So here he is, in front of the gigantic tower of Wu Enterprise’s HQ, with his jaw almost reaching the ground beneath him. The building is really tall, with all its grandiose design and shining gold letters of its name and a silver symbol of ‘WE’ being the center of the attention. Tao can’t even imagine how much this building costs each day. Or where does the money that pays off the cost fruits from. He can barely have spare allowance to buy the latest smartphone in the market, how can he dare to imagine himself running the company?

Shivering in horror, Tao walks into the building with hesitating steps. What if the guards kick him out because he looks frankly out of place? Everyone is wearing suits and formal dresses while he himself is clutching onto his slightly worn-out leather jacket, trying so hard not to make his sneaker screech even a decibel against the perfectly polished marble floor. He can feel a few people are staring at him, probably in spontaneous disgust. It’s completely understandable. Really.

“You must be Victoria’s cousin!”

He almost shrieked in shock, and his sneaker finally makes a screech. In front of him is a fine young man, very tall – probably taller than Kris – why am I thinking of him? – and probably around his cousin’s age. “I – I – I – yes I am.”

The guy laughs. “I surprised you, sorry. Anyway, I’m Changmin. Shim Changmin. Ever heard of me?”

Tao blinks at the man for a little while before he nods. “You’re Qian’s boyfriend!!”

“Correction, fiancé. Our boss is not the only man engaged in this building.” Changmin winks at him. “Come on. Victoria is already waiting for you. I can’t believe someone still calls her Qian.” he says as he leads Tao towards the lift.

“It’s her real Chinese name.” Tao shrugs.

Suddenly people’s stares are not that cold anymore. It seems like Changmin is quite famous around the place, because people keep greeting him and inevitably ask who is the sloth walking behind him, while Changmin throws his charming smile and says ‘my future cousin-in-law’ proudly. Some of the girls even smile at him brightly. Tao sighs.

“ – me a second chance, CEO Wu. I promise you this will be my last mistake, I promise you!”

Changmin halts his step as they finally reach the waiting area for the elevator, and Tao stops behind him. He looks for the source of the pleading voice, and finds a man is already on his knees, head hanging low. Tao gasps, but Changmin’s hand is quick enough to cover his mouth.

“Be quiet.” Changmin whispers at him. “It’s a common sight in this place so bear with it until the elevator arrives.”

A common sight?! Tao’s eyes widen as he watches the man keep saying his apologies. He then shifts his eyes to see what kind of an evil man that has the heart to let someone beg on their knees.

Then he recognizes the tuft of blonde locks right away.

“I’m surprised you’re still here, Mr. Yoon.” Kris’ voice is very familiar in his ears, but somehow it’s not the same. It’s… a whole lot colder. It doesn’t even have malicious intention in it but it sounds so… cold.

“I can’t give up my ten years position just because of one mistake, CEO Wu, please give me another chance to prove that I’m still worth it – “

“Mr. Yoon,” Kris looks down at the man, slightly tilting his head, “are you, perhaps, questioning my judgment and my authority in this company?”

Silence.

“I hope this kind of ruckus won’t ever happen again, Mr. Yoon. What is the short way to say this, hm?” Kris steps back. “We’re done with you.”

Tao gulps as a couple of bulky men come in sight and literally drag the man away from Kris’ feet. Then another man in suit, probably the secretary, comes in sight. “The VIP elevator is still on maintenance, sir.”

“Let’s use one here then. When is the meeting with KJ Corporation again?”

“One forty, sir, which is twenty minutes from now.”

He hears Kris sighs. Then the elevator doors open, and a few people who have been waiting for their turn, including him and Changmin, make a way for Kris, his secretary, and a couple of his bodyguards to get in. Tao holds his breath, slowly scooting back behind Changmin’s broad shoulder.

“Luhan,” he hears Kris’ voice again, “why are we the only people here?”

Tao watches Luhan the secretary hurriedly signals everyone outside the elevator doors to get in as well. He follows Changmin inside, trying not to tremble too much because what will happen if Kris sees him here? He scoots onto the corner of the space, behind the bulky men, and bites his lip as he looks up slowly, only to nearly gasp.

He and Changmin are the only ones who got into the elevator.

“Well then. I can’t be late, so.”

Changmin is the one who swipes his ID card over the scanner and presses the button for them and for Kris’ floor. “Good afternoon, sir.” the tall guy says in boredom. What??

Tao watches as Kris glances at Changmin. “I’m sorry you had to see that, dude.”

Somehow the voice is not so cold anymore – d-d-d-dude??

“Well, I can’t say he deserves it but he has been acting as a pain in everyone’s lately.” Changmin shrugs. “I think I’ve said enough in the meeting last week.”

“Which was why I took the drastic way.” Kris says softly before he turns to his secretary. “Make sure you prepare his recommendation later.”

Changmin laughs. “You know what our ex-employees said?” Tao blinks. “You might kill someone in the company and got fired, and still can find a proper job because your recommendation was written by Wu Enterprise.”

“So you’re saying that…?”

“Stop giving recommendations for those you fired just because you feel like you’ve just ended someone’s life by cutting their income source.” Changmin sighs. “It was their fault, and you were just doing your job.”

“It’s easy for you to say because you don’t have three kids and a demanding wife to feed.” Kris says. “Not everyone is as lucky as us.”

“And not everyone is as competent in their job as us. So whose fault it will be if they ever make a mess?”

“Sometimes I think you’re a better person for my job. Ever considered about being the CEO?”

Changmin snorts. “Nah. I’m already content with my job now. Besides if I’m a CEO in this kind of company then I can’t lead a happy and mushy life with my future wife.”

Tao watches as Kris stays silent for a while. “You’re really marrying Victoria?”

“Of course, who else then, you?” Changmin laughs before he reaches for something or someone behind him – no no no – “Right, this is her cousin. Zitao, say hi to my boss.”

What the ing –

“I still think she’s an idiot for giving up her job just to marry a dandy boy like –“ he hears Kris pauses when he’s finally in front of him, “… you.”

“You’re just sad you’re losing a very pretty employee. Anyway, this is Huang Zitao. Zitao, this is Kris Wu, our CEO, soon to be Chairman.”

Tao can’t even look up properly. “N-nice to meet you, sir.”

Then he sees Kris’ hand reaching for a handshake. “I think you owe me something.”

“Kid, it’s alright, take his hand. He won’t bite.” Changmin nudges his back. “It’s your fault. He’s traumatized by what happened earlier.”

Tao can’t really see Kris’ face as he’s looking down over his sneakers, but he can vividly imagine Kris’ smirk as he hears him snorting. “Is he really?”

“Don’t scare him please.”

“I’m just shaking his hand.”

“You can let go of him now.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter