X

When Our Paths Align

                                                               

 

“H-He wants to… marry me?”

 

Kris pressed his lips together. “Precisely.”

 

Standing up to your feet, you ran an aggravated hand through your long locks. “Why? Why would he—”

 

“It’s because he sees potential in you Miss Jung Hye.” Kyungsoo revealed. The doctor entered the room with two cups of coffee, placing one in front of both Hea and you.

 

“What kind of potential?” you inquired.

 

“Not many hostages stand up to their abductors, especially when they’re gang members.” Kris stated, rather frankly. He stood up to his feet and put out his cigarette in the ashtray on the coffee table. Then, he simply placed his hands within his pockets, eyes still on you.

 

“In short, your bravery has surprised him. He wants to see more of you, and what better way to do that than ask for your hand in marriage?” Kyungsoo added.

 

“When you say 'ask'…” Hea hesitantly began, eyes switching to and from the various men in the room.

 

“Yeah. There won’t be much asking.” Kai stated, glancing at the girl then back at you. “Guozhi won’t stop until you become his. Whether you want to or not.”

 

Your attention was focused on the burnt out cigarette in front of you rather than the several pair of eyes. Countless thoughts boggled your mind; What should you do? Should you run away? Yeah that sounds like a good idea. But wait, what if Guozhi found you there too? Surely, considering the size of his gang he’d be able to find you in no time.  Was there another way out of this? Could you contact the police? There must be some kind of victim protection program, shouldn’t there?

 

“Again, contacting the police is useless. The Black Dragons are powerful; their influence has already infiltrated much of the justice system.” Kris said, his heavy voice echoing off the walls. Without ado, your eyebrows furrowed at the boy. Perhaps one of the reasons you found him so irritating was because he somehow always knew what you were thinking. “So you’re saying there isn’t a single police officer that isn’t—”

 

“No. I’m sure there is. But how exactly do you go about finding one?”

 

Silence. He had a point. Even if you were to go searching for someone that could help, there was no way to be certain whether or not they could be trustworthy.

 

“What do I do?” You found yourself saying.  Kris’ hands shifted within his pockets, a slight smirk appearing on his lips. “You’ll have to stay here for the next few days.”

 

Without another thought, you stood up to your feet. “Absolutely not.”

 

He raised a brow, his feet now making their way towards you. “You may have no concern for your own safety, but are you really willing to risk that of your friends?” he asked, eyes glancing over to Hea. Your fist tightened as you shot a glare at the man. He scoffed at you, almost in a disapproving way. “Well, if that’s the case. You’re free to leave.” He smiled, extending his arm out towards the door.

 

Walking over to Hea, you grasped her wrist rather roughly. “Let’s go.”  The girl gasped, clearly resisting your efforts.

 

“It’s not safe Noona!” Yixing called. “Yeah, leaving right now would be a bad idea.” Minho added.   The group nodded in agreement, worry still visible on their faces. Kris, however, had a smirk planted on his lips. He was fully confident that you wouldn’t leave.  While he hadn’t known you for long, he was able to pick up some of your behavioral patterns without difficulty. It wasn’t your life you cared about, it was Hea’s, and he knew you wouldn’t put her at harm to satisfy your ego.

 

“Please Jung Hye-yah, let’s stay here.  Hmm?” the girl insisted, tugging at your arm rather childishly.

 

“Hea, do you really want to live in a house with nine men you just met!?” you scolded. Hea’s eyebrows creased and she glanced over her shoulder to look at the said men. Her gaze lingered on Kai’s for a moment longer before she turned back towards you. “I feel safe here Jung Hye. I really do.” she admitted. You sighed at her naivety.  She took your hand into hers and nodded, a small reassuring smile tugging at her lips.

 

Fine, if Hea wanted to stay here that badly, you knew there wasn’t anything you could say to change her mind. Though you were discontent with her decision, you couldn’t simply leave the girl alone.

 

“Alright, we’ll stay.”

 

It seemed as if the entire group let out a breath they were holding in. The owner of the mansion simply nodded, a sideways grin apparent on his lips.

 

“Yixing, fetch the maids.” He ordered. The latter nodded, exiting the room without a word.

 

After that the group dispersed; each of them smiling in your direction before taking their leave.

 

Kai and Hea were the last to leave. “Kai, would you show me my room?” Hea smiled. The man nodded, an emotionless expression displayed on his face. You watched as the girl followed him up the stairs and you let out a defeated sigh. Somebody needed to talk some sense into that girl because your efforts were clearly in vain.

 

Not surprisingly, the two remaining occupants of the room were you and Kris. The man stepped forward, appearing content with the verdict.

 

“I’ll get my butlers to bring over your belongings.”

 

“Thanks so much for your kindness.” You spat.

 

The rest of the group soon returned, though they decided it was best to stand a distance away. “They really don’t get along, do they?” Onew said, quiet enough for the two of you not to hear. “Doesn’t look like it.” Kai agreed. “Though, I think Kris may have just met his match.”

 

Kris shot a glare at the group who were standing meters away. His eyebrows narrowed, but he soon focused his attention back to the girl before him. Soon a chuckle left his lips, a slight tinge of embarrassment lingering in the air. “I’m letting you live in my mansion, and this is how you repay me?”

 

You scoffed. Was this guy for serious? Taking a step in his direction you crossed your arms over your chest. “I’m in this situation—no, Hea is in this situation because of you!” you nearly yelled. “If it weren’t for a jerk like you, Hea and I would be completely safe!”

 

Hea frowned until she witnessed Kai’s reassuring gaze. It was subtle, but it was there. Almost as if he were trying to say; “Don’t worry. It’s not your fault.”

 

“You’re nothing but a criminal. Don’t act like you’re a good person because I will never see you that way.” You continued. Kris widened his eyes and a several gasps were heard from the group. “Ruthless.” Jonghyun snickered shamelessly.

 

“Oh, and one last thing. Just because you’re wealthy, doesn’t mean you get to do whatever you want.” You roared. “Next time you kiss me without my permission, I will see to it that you’re properly punished.”

 

For a few moments you merely stood there, shooting daggers at him. You were furious, furious at the events that had unraveled. Absolutely livid that you could no longer live a simple life like you’d always wanted. Infact, because of Kris, your life had now become everything you’d been avoiding. As of today, your life would consist of blood and violence. And the worst part about it? You were powerless to stop it.

 

Kris’ eyes were now dark; he was no longer amused or entertained. He was glaring at you with the same fire you felt within yourself at the very moment. Deciding you were done speaking, you your heels and stormed out of the living room. As you turned the corner, you briefly pressed your back to the wall in an effort to calm your heart which was now beating at an erratic rate.

 

Kris exhaled. It wasn’t difficult to tell that he was caught off guard by your words, your frankness. But as his ears picked up on the side conversations, his dark gaze soon returned. The group quickly dispersed, leaving Kris alone with his thoughts.

 

Not long after, three of his butlers entered the room. But before they could proceed further, they all stood shocked at the man before them.

 

Kris was laughing. Not only that, but he was absolutely hysterical. Astonished, that was the word. Never before had he met someone who despised him to that extent. Furthermore, it’s as if the girl had no fear. She spoke her mind, no matter the consequences.

 

In that moment he’d decided.  He wanted to see more of her, to see how far he could push her buttons. Was she really that impervious to his charms? Or was it merely a façade; a thick layer that concealed who she truly was? 

 

He dismissed his butlers with the wave of his hand, his chuckles roaring through the maroon red walls. He placed a cigarette between his teeth, and then focused his gaze towards the grand staircase. It was time to find out just who this girl was.

 

≫≫≫

 

Hea snored lightly, her head buried deep within the pillows. It was difficult to tell where her body began and ended. The bed was enormous after all, and Hea? Quite the opposite. Kris had given the two of you possibly the largest room in the mansion, or at least, that’s what it seemed like. It was impossible to imagine whether a room larger than the one you were currently in existed.  The walls were subra light brown with intricate patterns engraved into them. The furniture was that of Elizabethan modern times, handcrafted it seemed. The center of the ceiling displayed a grand chandelier which twinkled each time the light passed through it. Moreover, two glass doors opened up into a large balcony which was situation in front of the orchard garden.  It was incontestable, the room was essentially perfect.

 

None of that mattered however.  All that seemed to occupy your mind was the thought of leaving, and the sooner the better at that.  Stretching your arms over your head, you lifted yourself out of bed and headed towards the work desk. Sleep had virtually escaped you tonight, so you decided it were best to get some work done.  

 

Reaching into the brown cardboard box that Kai brought over to the room earlier, you searched for your laptop and notebook amidst all yours and Hea’s belongings. Unexpectedly, you came across your delicates which were wrapped in a bag as if someone had wanted to conceal them. As you pulled them out, a deep blush appeared along your cheekbones.

 

Although Kai had brought the box over, you wondered if Kris had seen the contents of the box beforehand—particularly the items you hadn’t wanted him to see. For some reason the mere thought of him coming across the said items brought upon a nervous knot within your stomach.

 

Aishh, what are you thinking”

 

Brushing off the foolish thoughts, you grabbed for your laptop and began working. Glancing at the clock, you made a note of the time you began. After sometime, your eyes began to waver and you blinked a few times to chase away the sleep. You continued to work until you noticed the clock; 3:00AM.

 

Content with the amount of work you’d completed, you decided to call it a night. The dryness of your throat, however, interrupted your sleep once more. Sliding back into your slippers, you cautiously made your way down the grand staircase. Disregarding the automatic lights in the kitchen, you headed straight towards the refrigerator. As you pulled on the large door, your eyes widened at its inner contents.

 

Were you just imagining it? Or did the refrigerator contain literally every food you could imagine? There was turkey, ham, pasta, spaghetti, rice, soup, stew, you name it. While you felt your stomach growl, you decided a glass of water would suffice for now.

 

As you were drinking the water, your eyes began to survey the room. Without much thought, your feet shuffled down a dark hallway which was connected to the kitchen. There seemed to be a faint light at the end of the hallway and you mindlessly headed towards it. Poking your head into the entrance of a room, your eyes fell upon Kris. He was in his study, head placed on the table, seemingly in a deep sleep. Aware of that fact, your feet didn’t hesitate to walk in further. As you approached him, you noticed that he was shivering lightly, his hair tousled due to the draft coming in through his balcony. Walking over to the balcony doors, you shut them quietly, eyes glancing over at the boy who was still fast asleep. You were heading for the exit when you caught sight of the barely noticeable smile that lingered on his lips.

 

He must be dreaming.

 

It was strange to think that even people like Kris had pleasant dreams. Well, now that you were looking at him, he didn’t look absolutely dreadful while he slept. He looked almost peaceful, almost a little bit… handsome?

 

That was clearly the fatigue speaking. You weren’t sure when or how it happened, but your fingers reached out towards his face, lightly brushing away the hair on his forehead. When you realized what you’d done, your eyes widened in a soundless gasp and you were just about to pull away when you felt a hand clasp onto your wrist. Glancing down at Kris, you noticed that his eyes were now open and he was awake.

 

“What do we have here?” he raised a brow.

 

For a moment you felt as if your body had become immobile. His eyes peered deep into yours and you were snapped out of the trance, your feet already making their way outside of the study. Just as you passed over the threshold, you felt your body being pulled backwards as the door shut loudly in front of you. It all happened so fast, you now found your back pressed against the door, Kris’ body pressed against yours ever so faintly. His left hand pulled you closer while his right rested on the door. He gazed into your eyes before reaching in to whisper in your ear.

 

“You touched me. So now, I get to touch you.” he whispered, his breath tickling your ear as you let out a quiet gasp. He pulled back, an almost seductive smirk painted on his lips. “What, do you object?” he asked.

 

“L-Let me go.” You said, though it was barely a whisper. He reached in again and you caught a whiff of his cologne; metallic and spicy. “You want me to let you go? Why should I do that?” he smiled. “It’s only fair that I get to touch you. After all, wasn’t it you who said I shouldn’t touch you without your permission, and that it’s punishable.” He spoke, enunciating the last word in an alluring manner.

 

“That was different.” You insisted. Suddenly it felt as if you were resurfacing, the haze dissipating. Using both of your hands, you pushed his body off of yours. “And I meant what I said, Mr. Wu.” You stated, confidence returning. His gaze lingered on yours for what felt like eternity. Soon however, he fell into a fit of laughter. You stood there, shifting uncomfortably at the man before you. Though you knew you were in the right, it felt as if he were mocking you, and it was working. Just as you took a step to the right, your path was blocked by his arm. Glancing up at him, you’d noticed his laughter had stopped; his eyes were now filled with a strange sort of darkness. You’d only seen it once before.

 

Suddenly, Kris pinned your wrists to the wall as his body pressed into your once again. W-Wait—”

 

“I find you fascinating.” He grinned broadly. Without ado, you shot him a look that portrayed quite the contrary. “And I find you arrogant and outrageous.”

 

“Do you?” he asked, dangerous gaze looking through you. “Y-Yes. I do.”

 

He glanced down, a chuckle escaping his lips. “Is that so? I seem to remember your lips moving with mine when I kissed you.” his smirk returned.

 

No.

 

That was a lie.

 

There’s no way I kissed him back.

 

“I can tell by your expression that I’m right, aren’t I, Jung Hye?” your eyes widened at the way he said your name. “That day you kissed me back.” He stated, lustful eyes gazing into yours. “So I think we can both agree, that the kiss wasn’t without your permission.” He winked. You felt your heart throb for a mere second and you glanced away, a deep red hue appearing along your cheeks. 

 

You wanted to run away, to hide yourself from his gaze. But, you weren’t sure if you could at this point. It was almost as if your feet were glued to the floor, unable to move away no matter how much you wanted to. As you finished your thought, a gentle hand reached out to grasp your chin. Kris returned your gaze towards him; you swallowed in an effort to quench the thirst that had seemed to return.

 

“But, I think what you did just now was clearly without my permission.”

 

An uncomfortable knot began forming in the pit of your stomach. You had to say something, anything to stop what was about to occur. “I-I’m sorry—”

 

“It’s too late for that. You have to be responsible for your actions.”  He stated.  Just as you were about to protest, Kris suddenly shifted his body, his legs now holding yours in place. He brought both of your arms behind your back, pinning them against the door behind you.

 

For a few seconds he simply watched you. He was taking in every feature of your face; from your rosy cheeks to your parted lips, he almost felt as if he were blessed to be in the situation he was currently in. “Hold still, this may hurt.” He smirked.

 

Then without wasting another second, he reached in to graze his lips against your neck. He felt your body jolt against his but he quickly suppressed it, pressing more of himself into you. His lips lightly moved along your neck, pressing soft kisses every few seconds. As you shivered under the sensation, it almost felt as if you were melting into his touch.

 

Then, without warning, he contracted his lips, deeply into the sensitive skin of your neck. A sharp moan left your lips, your eyes fluttering at the feeling. Kris leered at your reaction, and let his hands drop from your wrists. Instead, he tangled them into your hair and cocked his head to the side, attacking the other side of your neck. He began by planting gentle kisses along your neck, occasionally nuzzling against the sensitive areas. He noticed how you exhaled into his touch, your breath now coming in short lapses.  Subconsciously, his name left your lips; “Kris…”

 

 

The man pulled away, his body feeling empty without the touch of hers. He gazed at his handy work before him; the left side of her neck was covered in red marks; the marks that he’d left. Her face was red, eyes half open. The top two buttons of her shirt were ed and he hadn’t realized that he’d been the cause of that.

 

If only the girl knew what he was thinking right now, it wasn’t a lie that he was using his entire being to withhold himself from doing what he really wanted. His gaze watched the girl as her eyes slowly opened, her cheeks reddening as the realization hit her. He took a step back, slightly surprised by how far he’d gone. She glanced down at her shirt, her black bra clearly visible. A gasp left her lips as she covered herself with her hands, her face inexplicably crimson due to the embarrassment.

 

He watched as her gaze met with the ground, anxious eyes looking anywhere but at him. Her breath was uneven as she bit down on her lip, closing her eyes for a few moments. Then, as if she remembered that she weren’t alone in the large room, she glanced up at Kris; shock radiating from her eyes. His hand reached out to her, but before he could reach her she’d already left, leaving behind her gentle scent.

 

Kris bit down on his own lip, running a frustrated hand through his blonde hair. Every time the girl appeared in front of him he’d lose a little more of his sanity. He’d lose himself against his emotions, his desire for her. All he wanted to do was touch her, to feel her, to make her happy.

 

“.”

 

He too couldn’t reject the obvious fact.

 

“I’m in love with her.”

 

 

 

 


A/N

oooooo! It was so fun to write this chapter. Although I was blushing like an idiot by the end x.x

Though Kris makes a good point, two can play at the punishment thing though, can't they?

By the way my finger is almost healed, horray! But I have class tomorrow morning, it's not too bad though since i'm only taking one class this semester. Anyway, if you enjoyed this chapter please upvote :)

OK BYE.