Blank Space

One Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been what? A year already? Yes. It’s almost a year ever since I’ve been home. To my own body. It’s such a relief knowing I have a home to go back to. It’s such a relief to have a family beside you always. It feels great. I lost so many years that it’s hard to keep track on things. I’ve been friends with people I would never imagine befriending. Jimin was popular when she was in my body and the things went a 360-degree reverse when I inhabited my body back – not that I became a nobody but people see how different I became. Suddenly, my circle of friends became different. I didn’t regret it but I get a lot of questioning (more like judging, actually) eyes from people around me. It’s weird but at least I know that they remember me. I know that they notice me and my mere existence.

 

Kyunghee ajumma met with me on a café. She said that on the day she and her daughter met, instead of Jimin making a fit of it, she said she wanted to spend her last hours with her mother. She finally let go of the life she borrowed for a little longer.

 

“Jimin said she was sorry to you. She was too selfish. She didn’t think about the life she stole from you. She accepted the need to live the world. She said she should be thankful she lived longer than her destiny.”

 

I know I should be angry at Jimin but I was just happy that I got back my body. We hugged for the last time and we parted ways. She was a loving mother – that’s all I can say. Jimin should be grateful to have a mother like Kyunghee ajumma.

 

And Yonghwa oppa? We’ve been in touch. But since the first day I’ve been in my body, we haven’t seen each other personally. He said he wanted to give me some space to cope up with everything – and I’m thankful for that. He said my life is a fill-in-the-blanks now and I somehow need to fill it up, myself.

 

“I will wait. Whenever you’re ready.” That’s what he said.

 

My parents even asked his whereabouts. My father even said he was a nice guy to be with – much better than the boys I’ve ever been (that I really haven’t been with ‘cause you know…Jimin). And my mom said she wants to get to know Yonghwa oppa better. I think that's a good thing, right?

 

And today, I feel like I’m ready.

 

“Where are you going? It’s a Saturday.” My dad noticed me fully-dressed up.

 

“I’m going to meet Yonghwa oppa.”

 

Dad looked at me. “The nice guy?” Dad keeps calling him that. Were the boys that Jimin brought here bad? I mean so bad for that to remember Yonghwa oppa as the ‘nice guy’?

 

“Yes, dad. The nice guy.” I laughed at his remark.

 

My dad smiled. “Well, if it’s that nice guy. I’ll let you pass. Tell him to come with you later. Let’s have dinner together.”

 

“Why do you like him so much? You have met him for a day!”

 

“It only takes one day, dear. One day.” He smirked as he went back to read his newspaper. I don’t get him. Before he changes his mind, I kissed him on the cheek. “Say good morning to mom for me!” I said as I hurriedly left.

 

It’s spring so I decided to walk instead of riding a cab. Café Bean is just a ten-minute walk from our home so it’s not that of a big deal. I’m wearing a simple white dress – it’s not too much but it’s not like I also didn’t dress up for this. I don’t want to look intimidating or uninterested.

 

My heart flutters as I think of meeting Yonghwa oppa again. He’s the first person to see the real me – despite transferring in different bodies. It was a difficult situation, I must say. I ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter