For Love (KaiSoo)

Fragments (Snippets)

The ball room was filled with students in their elegant ballgowns and stylish tuxedos, all either dancing around or talking to one another. Kyungsoo stood in a far corner with a glass of sparkling wine in hand, biting his lip out of habit as he stared into space, deep in thought. He smiles at every person who passes by him but refuses to move from his spot to mingle with them.

"Hey." A guy whispers from behind him. He immediately turns around to face the guy.

Kim Jongin, his... He doesn't know what Kim Jongin is to him anymore. 

But he gives him a smile.

And if one had been watching him all night, he would notice that this one smile is sweeter than any of the smiles Kyungsoo's given anyone tonight. 

"You look stunning." Jongin compliments. Kyungsoo lets out a soft chuckle. "You always say that. But you... You look more than stunning." They both laugh lightly and keep silent for a while. It's not the kind of silence that suffocates you, but rather a comforting one. They have always been like this. Comfortable in each other's presence. Kyungsoo wants to stay in this moment because he doesn't really know what to do with everything in his life right now. 

Then Jongin's lips curve into a small smile before parting, hesitant but clear words breaking the silence. 

"Is ther-- Do I... still have a place... you know... in your heart?"

Kyungsoo's heart races. A small part of him had expected that topic to be brought up. But he wasn't ready to answer.

"For what?" He asks, feigning confusion and innocence. But they both know he's just stalling. And Jongin still finds it adorable.
"For love, of course." The other answers rather nonchalantly, as if it was absolutely obvious. Though, judging by the expression on Jongin's face, it really was. 

Kyungsoo bites his lip, again, out of habit. 'Yes of course', his heart wanted to answer. But he was scared. This was the thing that's been keeping his mind occupied the whole night, and, undeniably, the nights before. He wanted to just give in to his feelings, but he knows it's not that easy; not with what had happened back then.

 

So, he smiles again. This time, it's one that seems awfully close to pity. 

 

But it's not for Jongin. The smile is followed by a small chuckle and a shake of the head.

 

"Let's not talk about that anymore, shall we?" He says, looking the other in the eyes with a sad smile.

 

Jongin nods. He understands.

 

Or maybe he doesn't.

 

But Kyungsoo nods back.

 

Jongin turns around to walk away.


 

 

And that's it.



====
A/N: There's supposed to be a part 2 for this, but I felt that it looks better with that ending, 'cause I'm feeling angsty tonight. The second part is a happier scene lol