B-3

Past is PAST

BEFORE

“Welcome to your new school” Siwon announced as we stood in front of the school’s gate

It’s actually embarrassing. I know it’s so early in the morning and there weren’t any students around yet but I just kind of feel ashamed. Maybe I was just nervous afterall. I admit, after what Donghae said to me back at our first meeting, I haven’t completely forgotten about him being everywhere in the school. Does that mean he has supernatural powers that he could be at multiple places at once? It’s stupid. I am stupid for freaking myself out right now. But what if it is true? NO! He might mean otherwise. Have I forgotten how pretty smartass he was on playing words on me? He is sure one smart kid. I couldn’t forget our first meeting. He had me completely at disadvantage.

“O-kay. Can we get it in now?” I asked Siwon trying to hide my nervous

“Sure. Follow my lead and make sure to stick with me. Don’t fall behind if you don’t want to get lost” He said casually but I can’t help notice the warning in his last sentence.

‘Don’t fall behind if you don’t want to get lost’ what the effin does he mean by that? Oh my god. I am seriously panicking inside now. I need to calm my brain. Shoot! Nothing works out for me. This will surely become my most memorable first day ever in school.

As we enter the school, I was pretty amazed, and oh well- yeah! I am stunned by the whole school itself. It seems to me that they got everything- everything that a student would wish for a school. They got a really huge gigantic baseball field, a tennis field, a basketball court/gym, swimming pool, lounge, cafeteria, theatre room, music room, practice room, broadcasting station, library, art room, conference room, faculty office and of course classrooms. It was so big that I couldn’t exactly remember which way we go to. I am even more fascinated by the scenic view facing the academic building (which the classrooms were located). I can’t wait to study right now.

“So, where is my classroom?” I asked Siwon amidst our way to the faculty office.

“Don’t worry. We’re almost there” is all he said

I just keep myself distracted by watching on every room that we passed by. We were now currently at the academic building which in fact has three floors. Each floor has 10 rooms which include classrooms, speech laboratory, faculty office, library and the art room. Each classroom has 30 chairs inside with a large blackboard and whiteboard and a locker at the back. It was simple yet classy.

Actually, there are three buildings in this campus. The first building at the left is the Activity building which rooms for the gym and swimming pool at the first floor; music room and practice room at the second floor and; the broadcasting station and the theatre room at the third floor. The second building is the Academic building which is at the center and the first building you’ll see once you entered the school and the last building which is the Amity building wherein the garden house is located. It is where the cafeteria is located which is in fact at the first floor, then the lounge and conference room at the second floor which is by the way only exclusive for the student council and the third floor for the garden house. Each building is linked to one another standing in a semi-circle.

I noticed that there was actually room name at the top side of the door. I took out my registration form and look for my classroom number and section. I belong to Class 1-A room number 101. It can’t be right. Siwon and I were currently at the second floor. And as far as I know, second year students and third year students share the second floor. Well, there were only three sections per year and that’s according to the campus brochure. Oh shoot! RIGHT! The campus brochure! Why am I so stupid?

I hurriedly took out my campus brochure and I was damn right. Good thing I read it last night before I actually fell asleep. I stopped from walking and just stare at the back of Siwon's. I can't believe he is trying to put me on a trap. He set me up.

"We're almost there” Siwon said looking over his shoulder.

I just stood there, staring at him. I felt really stupid. Why have I ever forgotten the fact that this guy in front of me is my cousin and he is, in fact, Choi Siwon? Ever since we were kids, he loves pulling up pranks and his always victim is me. Nothing will really change. This guy has been a big prankster ever since and he even found himself a partner in crime.

I felt the cold brush at the back of my nape and my skin hair standing up in attention. I kept a mantra in my head that nothing bad will happen. This is just me freaking out on my first day in this new school, nothing wrong! It’s all normal, right?

“Sooyoung?” Siwon looked at me

I instantly felt mixed emotions. I couldn’t exactly describe how I was feeling but I was close to stop breathing. I couldn’t believe he is doing it to me. I can’t believe that even his one and only cousin is no exception to his pranks. I suddenly wish that I was in New York instead.

“You-you’re not s-set-setting me up, right?” I asked nervously

“Sooyoung?” Siwon chuckled as if he could not believe what I just said

“You know, I’m your cousin. Siwon, we knew each other ever since we are kids. You know, I am not familiar with the places here.” I said convincing him, “I know what you are up to”

“Sorry, cous” Siwon sad shrugging his shoulders, “Rules are rules. Gotta obey them”

“WHAT? You’re freaking choosing these damn rules over me?” I shouted angrily

“Hey, Soo. I’m sorry. But that is the rule. Don’t worry, I promise it won’t hurt”

“Do you hear yourself?”

“Soo, don’t exaggerate, ok?” Siwon said, “It’s not what you think”

“Really? Do you really think I do not know you? Come on” I said

I then turn around only surprising myself. Students who have been inside the school and were hiding themselves completely and following us all stood there waiting for me to turn around and discover them. Each of them was just staring blankly at me. Donghae was there too at the side.

“Ready, set…” Donghae said

“Guys, be careful” Siwon warned

“GO!”

They then started throwing eggs at me. Some were things I do not know. Damn this! It hurts and it freaking smells. URGH! I cover my face with my own hands and just face down not daring to look up. I should go somewhere else. It feels like they’re going to throw eggs at me forever. I can’t take it anymore.

I then run away from them which made them all follow me. I hate this school! What is wrong with them? What kind of school is this, really? Geez. What have I gotten myself into? I swear I am going to get back to these people. They’re gonna pay for this.

I run to the hallway and entered into the lounge which has double doors. I opened it carelessly and I regretted the moment I did because there was a pail of flour waiting for me.

“!” I shouted mindlessly as I got dumped by flour all over me

I heard them all laugh loudly at my back. Yeah! Laugh all you want. This is what actually makes you all happy, right? You people are a bunch of shallow, slacker, mean people.

Then out of nowhere, kids started splashing me with slick colorful liquid that smells really awful. They all were having too much fun watching me get splashed. Fine! I had enough!

Once they were through, they throw away all their props and kept laughing. They were looking at me like I am a big joke and pointing at me while laughing endlessly. You are really going to regret what you did to me.

Siwon approached me carefully. He has a towel on his hand.

“Soo, I am really sorry. Here” he handed me the towel but I just stare at him more like glare.

“Seriously?” I asked annoyed and walked off

I went away getting my bag which I left behind in front of room 211, Class 2-A. I pick it up and look for a rest room. I look over my shoulder and saw Siwon and Donghae trailing off behind me.

“Look, I know how hurt you’ve been” Siwon said which made Donghae giggle

I turn around and look at him disappointedly.

“Are you kidding me?” I asked

Siwon elbowed Donghae to make him stop. But Donghae just shrugged.

“Can’t help it. You know how ironic you sounded right there” Donghae reasoned out

I looked at both of them. Now I know better. I should avoid them and the likes of them. They are dangerous. I can’t believe they did that to me. And here I am, so full of myself and very much convinced that they won’t do anything harmful to me. I hate myself and I hate this day.

I turn around and go. I went to the first floor at Activity building where the pool area is and head for a shower. I really badly need a quick bath or probably a thoroughly bath since I really stink. Once I was about to lock the door, I was shocked to find them still there with me. They were standing outside of the female’s bathroom.

“WHAT? You’re gonna watch me bath?” I asked shocked, “ERT!”

Before they could say something, I immediately close the door and locked myself pretty securely. I made sure there was no one around me and that I double checked the place if ever there were cameras or whole to take a peep. You could call me a freak, but hey, it’s better to be conscious. Besides, I don’t really know what kind of people they are.

I made a quick but thorough bath. I felt so refreshed and better. I found some extra uniform at the girl’s locker so I wore it. Never mind the owner. I gather my things and fix myself before leaving the shower room. I unlocked the door and get out. However, I was surprised to see them still waiting for me.

“You guys are never really gonna give up, huh?” I said, “I am sorry but you won’t get anything outta me”

“Look, we were really sorry” Siwon said

“Past tense noted!”

“Urgh! I AM sorry. We ARE sorry” Siwon said in frustration

“Yeah, whatever” I said still walking

“Ya! Hae go tell her” Siwon said pushing Donghae

I turn around and face them. I am curious. What is it they’re going to tell me? Hmm… It better not be another lame excuse because I might punch him in the face if they do.

“There’s something you didn’t know.” Donghae said, “It’s about the school rules. Well, technically, student rules”

Yeah. I heard Siwon telling me something about the rules. What is it about the rules? Don’t tell me they had a rule to bully the newcomer here? Please, don’t! I cross my arms and pretend that I was listening to them though I am really curious.

“We had a rule here” Donghae said

OMG! I AM FREAKING RIGHT?! What kind of school is this really? Did my parents know about this? They should. They gotta at least make a background check on this school. GOSH! They didn’t know what they got me in. This is not a school. It only looks like one but it is definitely not.

“Students must be welcomed accordingly. There’s a process actually. The student council will select the class who will welcome the newcomers. The same goes for the freshman. There is a welcome party made for them at the first week of the school year and the student body will welcome them to which will be led by the student council. It happens every year. But so far, no one ever gets hurt…severely or dies”

“And you expect me to believe that?”

Damn it! I was right all along! WHY CAN’T I TRUST MY INSTINCTS JUST FOR ONCE? And to think everyone goes through the same thing. No! They all probably don’t have to get through the same thing like I did. I bet Siwon and Donghae were able to escape this ‘tradition’. This is ridiculous.

“Yes because that is the truth. Look, I know you may think Siwon and I didn’t go through this but believe me, we did. And we know how embarrassing it is. It happened to us with all the student body watching. So we asked the student council to be the one to do it to you instead. They all have been furious about you and many class wanted to do it.”

“So you’re telling me that I am actually lucky even?”

“Exactly!” Donghae said

“Whatever. It still doesn’t make me forgive you”

I turn around and was about to walk away when suddenly, my foot slipped and I was about to fall. I close my eyes shut and wait for my demise. This is even more embarrassing. I wait for my body to hit the floor but I didn’t. I was lucky that someone was able to catch me. Wait! Someone?

I opened my eyes slowly praying that it wasn’t him who caught him. But as I open them, it was him I saw. Donghae caught me in his arms. Oh my god! I can’t breathe. His face is too near from mine. I could even feel his breathing. Oh my god! Oh my god! Please don’t make me look so obvious. I hope I wasn’t blushing.

“AHHHHH~” I screamed at last

I stood up as he let me go. I swear I could feel my cheeks burning. He just caught me and we made eye contact. No! Face contact. Our lips could almost touch! It would be my first kiss if that happened. Oh my god! My heart beats so fast it felt like it’s gonna get out of my body.

“I’m sorry. Are you ok?” Donghae asked

“Don’t come near me” I said covering my face

I don’t want him to see my face red like a tomato. I’m sure they will only tease me. I then run away so fast to my room. I can’t believe it happened. I can’t believe it almost happened. Oh my god. Dear lord! Forgive me for feeling this way. I can’t stop it. Random stuffs cross my mind. I felt like a ert now. This is all his fault.

Finally, the bell rang and I was able to find my room. I catch my breath and fix myself. I can’t go in looking like someone just me. Then suddenly, someone stood just in front of me. I bet she was our teacher. She was carrying a folder on her hands and was wearing a black stiletto shoes with a navy blue pencil shirt and a floral blouse. Her hair is tied up in half. I smiled as I meet her eye to eye.

“You must be Choi Sooyoung, right?” The teacher said

“Yes, Ma’am” I answered

“Good. Nice to finally meet you, Miss Choi. I am Park Sejin, your homeroom adviser and English teacher” She shook my hand and smiled, “Just call me Miss Park. Shall we get in?”

She entered the classroom and everybody silenced. Wow. She had that effect on students too. I thought it was just me. They all were very attentive of her and really obey her. She must be a pretty good teacher as I saw their faces lit up brightly.

She then introduced me to the class and so far they have been friendly. I was designated to sit at the last row at the back. I was sitting near the window.

The class then started. I was right on Ms. Park. She was indeed a good teacher. Although, I am already good in English as I was from New York, I thought I have understood her lessons easily regardless. It also felt lively and really learning considering the atmosphere. I loved this. Although, I can’t help but notice other girls whispering and looking at me. They should be curious about me. I don’t blame them. Even I would be curious if there was a newbie in our class.

The bell rang and it was time for lunch break. Everyone stood up from their desks and leave. You can see how happy they are with their friends. I suddenly miss my friends. I was somehow popular in our school too. I have a lot of friends but I only have three bestfriends and now they’re gone. I left them in New York.

I looked outside of the window and into the beautiful view. I felt serene. Looking at the nature, it never fail to give me hope for another day. Today is officially the start of everything, my life in South Korea.  I felt my desk moved a bit so I looked in front of me and saw this girl looking at me. She was smiling widely.

“Hi” She said

“Hi” I managed a smile

“So, you’re Choi Sooyoung, the infamous newbie” She said smiling though I know she meant no harm as she said those, “I’m Kim Taeyeon. I am the class president”

“Hi. It is nice to meet you” I said shaking her hand

“So, tell me, what did they do to you?” she asked

“What?”

“Come on! I know the rule. What did they actually do? Did they make you jump off of the pool ?”

Whoa! So this is about that ’tradition’ huh? Well, that was pretty intense. Donghae is right. I am lucky. I couldn’t imagine myself doing that. That would be really embarrassing. I think I would have killed myself if that happened.

“No, they threw me flour and eggs” I said

“Wow. You’re one lucky girl” She said, “Everyone had it worse and no one will ever tell you what happened”

“Who even made that rule? I am actually surprised they allowed that”

“Well, if you got connections, it wasn’t really that hard. Besides, the council always make sure that no harm will fall beneath the students during the tradition. Otherwise… Anyway, it’s lunch break. Do you want to go with me at the cafeteria?”

“Thank you but I am gonna pass” I said regrettably, “I wanna familiarize myself first about this school. It is too big to get lost. “

“Good. I am going to help you then” She offered

I gladly took her offer and we both exited the room arm in arm. She toured me around the whole school and this time with complete details. I should stick to Taeyeon from now on instead of Siwon. She told the history and everything that I have to know about the school. It was good that I am making new friends right away. Well, I certainly hope we will be friends because I don’t know how I am going to survive this school year with Siwon and Donghae. She also told me some pointers about those two.

“Wait! What time is it?” Taeyeon asked

“It’s almost 12. Why?”

“Oh my gosh! We’re gonna miss it. Hurry up” She took my hand and we run

“Where are we going?”

“To the lounge” she winked

We run so fast that I thought I left my lungs somewhere already. When we get there, there were a lot of students there already and mostly were girls.

“I thought the second floor is restricted area?”

“It is but not for today. They’re having a performance”

Taeyeon find a perfect spot for us. She didn’t let go of my hand as we go through. Who is having their performance? And what kind of performance?

Compared to earlier, the lounge was now much better. There was no evidence of crime done earlier this morning. It’s impressive. I look around and saw that one student. I do recognize her immediately as she was the one who first threw eggs at me. She immediately looked away and avoided eye contact with me. She then went away.

“Who is performing?” I asked

“Them!” She pointed at the center

I looked where she pointed and was shocked to see Donghae at the center holding a guitar and with a microphone in front of him. He looked handsome as ever. Gosh. I swear it could take my breath away. Siwon was at the left side with the drums while other two students were holding guitar.

“Hello, everyone” Donghae greeted

All the girls started shouting. It almost broke my eardrum. It was too loud around but I don’t mind because I could see him right now and he is going to sing live.

“Do you have your phone with you?” Taeyeon shouted at my ears

I took out my phone and give it to her. She then clicked something although I could not care more because now they’re going to sing.

“Here’s for someone I know who likes this song” Donghae said looking at me and started playing

OH-MY-GOD! They are playing Sunshine and City Lights! This is freaking crazy! I felt like I am going to cry right now. I don’t know. I felt so happy, surprised, and confused. How did he know I like that song? Gosh! And he is even performing it in front of me. I hope it isn’t all just an accident.  I really felt so happy.