B-1

Past is PAST

BEFORE

Geez, I have to hurry. I’m gonna be late. I can’t miss it. Eotteoke?

I run with all my might from the first floor to the second floor of the building where my room was. Turning to the left, there was a sign at the top of the door, Class 3-A. That’s it. Before opening the door, I took a long deep breath and fix myself. I wipe all those sweat away. I have to cool down. I flash a smile and open the door.

As I enter, many of my classmates were already there. And in complete attendance were all the girls. I went to my seat and place my bag at the side. Everyone was busy talking about what happened to them last night or what happened to them on their way to school or about the latest news and trends in sns. Just like any ordinary high school life.

I sat down and took out my book. Everything is normal and by that means nothing has happened yet. I checked my wrist watch and it reads 7:59 in the morning. Just 10 seconds left. I opened my book and start reading, or at least pretending to read. 5, 4, 3, 2…and 1.

“CHOI SIWON AND LEE DONGHAE!!!” a girl shouted at the hallway

“AHHHHHHHH!!!”

All the girls in the school shouted on the top of their lungs. There was chaos. They all went to the window, taking a peek at the hallway while admiring whatever pleasures their eyes.

“What’s happening?” Taeyeon, our class president asked who was at the front, wiping the board.

“Seriously? Like this is not anything familiar to you” I said trying to maintain my posture

My seat was at the last row beside the window. Everyone was feasting on those dudes. Really. I can’t believe it. All those years that I have stayed here, nothing changes a bit in every morning. Goodness. What on earth do they think of themselves?

“Hey, girls!”Siwon greeted as he walked inside the room

The two guys entered the room coolly. They walk like boastful rich men in suits. Now, everyone freezes at the sight of them. All the girls and boys stops from whatever they are doing and watches them. These two act as if they were completely used to this situation.

“Siwon. Donghae” Taeyeon called their names, “What’s going on?”

“I don’t know. They just started shouting as soon as they see us” Donghae explained with his cocky smirk

“And I wonder why is that, Mr. Lee?” I said not moving an inch out of my chair

“Because they like us” Donghae said with his face few inches away from mine, “Don’t you?”

His face was so near I could feel his breath. I think I just stopped breathing right there.

“Come on, Donghae. Gotta get back to class. Bye, Taeyeon. Soo” Siwon said going out of the room

“See you later, Soong!” Donghae said before disappearing

The two left the room as if nothing happened like how they entered our lives without even knocking or asking. These guys have made a huge difference in our entire student body. How? Well, let me tell you how.

Choi Siwon or better known as Siwon, standing 6’2 and weighs 135 kg, age 18 is a senior and the school’s basketball superstar. Dated April 7, 1990 was his birthday. With Siwon’s amazing ability in basketball, he was able to defend the 4 year champion in basketball against all other high schools in the country. Everyone was making a buzz whenever they hear the name Choi Siwon and to them he is the basketball god.

Aside from being the basketball superstar, he is also a big supporter of “No To Teenage Pregnancy” advocacy by the student council committee and the school’s board of directors. You might be shocked to hear but he is actually an effective ambassador to the campaign given that many students in high school get pregnant early. As a result and this is a fact, the percentage of students getting pregnant early decreases to 75%. According to the study, about 30% of basketball guys became a parent at young age especially in seniors and because Siwon is the captain of the basketball team, he was able to put a good use of his reputation in action.

Lee Donghae, on the other hand, known as Donghae, standing 6 feet and weighs 130 kg, age 18 is a senior as well as the school’s Einstein only that he is the bad version. At the age of 3, he could already speak and write in 3 languages: English, Korean and German. He is known to be a trouble maker and really, a bad guy. It’s not that he hit on almost all of the girls in the school. He flirts with them, give motive, steal their first kiss and then leave them.

It is known that Donghae has an IQ of 165 and he got everyone’s respect to that even if he is a bad boy. He was able to escape the trouble he makes because of it. And I’m telling you, all girls fall for the bad guy, ALWAYS. He is declared to be the school’s heartthrob and given that he is the bad guy, assume that all girls fall for him, literally ALL. He is actually a magnet to all girls and I hate to say it but I am one of them. Fortunately though, I have made a reputation that I am the only girl who resist Donghae’s charm. And I wonder for how long I will be able to hide it.

“I can’t believe these two” Taeyeon commented as she made way to her desk which is only in front of mine. “Seriously, though, you were always with them. How come you never fall for Donghae?”

I laugh out loud when she asked me that. She got to be kidding me. If she only knew how much struggle I am going through just to hide it. Well, I, myself don’t know how. I just know that I must control it or else, I’ll end up like all the girls he played with and I hate it. I just want to be the only girl who he never has to flirt with. I knew too well that once he found out my feelings, he will try to flirt with me like he does with all the girls.

“What are you talking about? Of course, Siwon-oppa got it covered. He warned Donghae not to mess with me” I said though I’m not really sure if he did that

“Yeah, right. Of course.”Taeyeon sighed and kept playing with the keychain Siwon just gave to her.

“How about you? You spend most of the time with Siwon-oppa. I mean, you’re not just a class president but also a cheerleader and part of that advocacy campaign so you spend most of the time with Siwon-oppa too. Don’t you like him?” I asked though the answer is obvious.

If there is one girl who could take control of Siwon-oppa better than me in this school, that would be Taeyeon. Everyone knows, even I know that Siwon-oppa only has his eyes set for Taeyeon. There’s no way he would come here just to see me every morning, right? We see each other often, and we live in one house. And besides, he barely talked to me when it’s just me and Taeyeon here at the classroom. He seemed to forget everything whenever he sees Taeyeon. And I don’t blame him. Taeyeon is perfect. Only the question is, does Taeyeon like him too? Does she like him as much as he does? Only Taeyeon knows and if she was hiding her real feelings for him, that she likes him too, well, she is very good in doing it because I honestly had no idea. Though, I see how she interacts with others and how she act with Siwon-oppa around and they’re totally different.

“I am not so sure myself. Though, I wouldn’t mind trying it out with Siwon. I mean, who am I to reject Siwon?” Taeyeon answered sitting at her desk

“Wait, so you like him too?” I asked again. I have to ask again, to make sure. I have to hear it from her.

“Of course” Taeyeon said like a matter of fact

The bell rang and everyone went back to their seats. Today, is one of those normal days of our high school life. But today’s day is just starting. I’m sure; there will be another act that will completely turn around this whole day to a special day. I’m feeling it.

We talked about the rules in grammar for the whole 2 hours. And in the whole time, it was so boring. Come on! With just that alone, I can’t wait to get home already. That is super boring. I’d rather go to the library and read books than study this super boring thing. Don’t get me wrong. I understand that studying this lesson is a must but am I the only one here who thinks that this lesson is way too old for us? Not that I am bragging but I already knew all of this. What do they think of me? I did not reach 3rd year in high school for nothing.

Most of the time, I looked out to the window watching all the students who were taking their PE class at the ground and wondering whatever their lessons are now. I just wanted to get out of here.

Suddenly, I noticed Taeyeon. It seems like she was busy doing something else. I peeked at her shoulder to see what she was doing and to my amusement, she was texting! Goodness. I didn’t expect that. The use of cellphone during class hours is strictly prohibited and whoever was caught using their phone will be sent to extremely mortifying punishment, depending to their teachers and you’re unlucky if you get caught during English and Math class.

“Miss Choi, what are you doing?” Ms. Ok asked

Everyone’s attention was shifted to mine and I can see in their eyes that they almost thanked me for stealing the show because now they could take a break from all these grammar rules.

“Ma’am, may I get out? I really need to use the restroom. I’m actually asking Miss Kim’s assistance” I lied

“Me?” Taeyeon whispered but tried to keep a poker faced

“Okay, you may go with her. Be right back” Miss Granger said and I almost dragged Taeyeon out of the room.

I waited until we got to the front of the Ladies’ restroom.

“What the heck?”She asked in confusion.

“Thank me for saving your ” I said, “What are you doing? Why are you texting during English class?”

“Oh, you saw that” Taeyeon said, “Actually, I’d been dying to tell you”

“What is it?”

She took out her phone and shows me her messages with BoA, a senior and was under the same section as Siwon and Donghae

“Oh my god. What have they done again?” I exclaimed worriedly

I read that Siwon and Donghae caused yet another trouble and this time, it was big time. I’m not exactly sure what happened but if that is the case then it’s really a problem. I got to see them. Gosh. Every time they got into trouble, I am always the last person to know.

“Where are they?” I asked instead

“They must have been at the president’s office. That’s for sure” Taeyeon said

We immediately run to the President’s office not thinking of what we might do when we get there.

When we get there, we were catching our breaths. And before Taeyeon could open the door, I stopped her immediately

“Wait” I said catching my breath, “What are we going to say when we get there? I mean we don’t even know what happened”

“I don’t know. Make a story? I really don’t know” I can see in her eyes the worry

Suddenly, we saw BoA coming to us. She has been running too.

“Hey, Taeyeon. Sooyoung. You’re here” BoA said catching for breath.

“Tell me what really happened?” I asked almost panicking

“Ha? Oh!” BoA started

I definitely could smell someone stinking here.

Suddenly, the door opened and came out the Principal in his usual suit and tie look. We stood there outside his door when he saw us and seemed clueless.

“Hello, ladies. What can I do for you?” He flashes us his fatherly smile

“Will you do us a favor? Thank you very much and I’m really really sorry” I said

I opened the door widely enough to see if there was anyone else inside the room and to my half-expecting surprise, they’re not there. I turn to look at BoA-unnie. They just did another joke.

“Actually, they stole my phone” BoA confessed

“What is happening here?” Mr. Principal asked

“Nothing, sir. Some pranks pulled by your beloved students” I said and made my way out

Seriously. I was worrying myself for nothing. When will these two ever stop pulling pranks? Oh . I immediately stopped walking. I just realized. I took out my phone and checked any messages. None. So basically, I wasn’t part of it. And these two completely didn’t plan this well. It can’t be. I turn around and snatch Taeyeon’s phone out of her hands. I took a look at her messages. And I was damn right.

“Great. Another prank”

“What do you mean?” Taeyeon asked still clueless.

She took back her phone to check her messages but still didn’t understand it.

“It was all for you, honey” I said half pissed and half sarcastic

“What?” Taeyeon exclaimed, “I’m gonna ask them their location”

“Actually…” BoA spoke again, “They’re at the broadcasting station”

“. Now we’re being laughed at” I said

Of course. Those two knew what’s gonna happen. Why am I so stupid? I’m sure Donghae is the mastermind of all this. He knew Taeyeon would tell me and that we would rush to the principal’s office to make a scene. They must have been laughing off of their seats right now as they watch us through those CCTVs camera at the broadcasting station.

“I’m so sorry. They just took my phone…” BoA explained

“No worries, BoA-unnie” I said, “It’s not your fault for having a troublesome classmates”

Suddenly, the two came laughing out loud. Why are these two so unpredictable? I hate it whenever they make fun of me, and they do that almost all the time.

“Sorry, Soo” Siwon said after being able to calm himself down from laughing too much, “I just can’t help it. Besides, he planned it”

I was just standing there folding my arms. I just can’t imagine what a great embarrassment I would be in when I believed their words.

“You should see yourself. It was really funny” Donghae said still laughing

“Hey, break it up!” Taeyeon said in a bit angry tone, “How could you do that?”

“Simple, you just borrow your friend’s phone then send a message to someone-“

“It’s not funny!” Taeyeon exclaimed

I turn my heel and go leaving the two on their own

“Where are you going?” Taeyeon asked worriedly

“To the place where I should be now” I said not believing I just fall on their pranks again

This is one of those normal days turned into special ones. These two will make sure that your day won’t end up dully. They knew how to turn around your day into something. And I’m not going to fall for their pranks again by showing them how affected I was by that.

Instead, I went to the pool area and went to change my clothes. Soon, our class will be over and our next class will be with Ms. Lim’s swimming class. I heard footsteps and saw Taeyeon followed me here.

“They sure know how to piss you so well” She said

“This is what I deal with every day.” I replied

“Sorry” Taeyeon said sitting at the bench “I completely overlooked their capabilities. I thought they wouldn’t get me involved into pulling pranks but I guess, I’m just another fool”

“No, you’re not. And besides, welcome to the world of Siwon and Donghae” I said half smiling

“So, you’re not mad at them?”

“Me? Mad?” I laughed at her, “No. I’m not. Pissed. Yes but no I am not mad”

Suddenly, we heard some strange noise just within the pool area. There were footsteps, not just from one person but from many. We thought it might be our classmates already but our class will end in 30 minutes so there’s no way it’s got to be them.

“Who’s that?” Taeyeon asked

We soon heard something hitting the tiles as if some metal was being carried out. We then decided to look who was outside and to our shock; they were kids from the other school. How’d I know? Simple. They were wearing their school’s uniform and were carrying bats. It must have what we heard.

“What are you doing here? Students from another school are not allowed within our school premises. How did you get in here?” I asked not showing them fear

“Look who we got” The guy in the center said, “Just exactly the person we’re looking for”

“Who are you?” Taeyeon asked realizing after a moment, “Oh my god. Sachiro?”

Sachiro Hanazawa is Japanese who went to Korea just last year and transferred to a nearby school. He was famous among other schools for beating out students and for starting a gang war in schools. Everyone was afraid of him.

“Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you. I promised” and he keeps his promises, “I just need you as a props”

“Props? What do you think of us? A thing you can use then throw away when no longer necessary?” I exclaimed angrily

“Oooh~ just another like of him- brave” Some guys laughed but he don’t. He was just looking at me- at my eyes. What does he need from me?

I hid Taeyeon at my back. It’s me they needed. It’s obvious that they were after Siwon and Donghae. I can’t let them hurt Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon, I need you to run” I whispered under my teeth not moving my lips “go run”

“Go get her!” Sachiro said

Taeyeon ran out of the pool area while I took the swimming equipments lying on the floor and throw it at them as I make my way out of the pool area. I quickly ran away not really knowing where to run to

“RUN AFTER HER!” Sachiro shouted

I passed by the classrooms and wondered why the bell hasn’t rung yet. Teachers who saw me running along the hallway wondered why I was running. Well obviously, I am such a good girl that I have obeyed the school rules. While some teachers reprimand me, yelling after me but all of them were shocked to see that I was being chased by many men from the other school. I think about 15 men were chasing after me and all of them are so eager to catch me.

I ran across the rooms in second floor, entering it and leaving through another door to distract them and finally deciding on hiding at the Theatre room. I couldn’t think of anywhere else to run to aside from that. At least here, they’ll find it hard to find me. Or so I thought.

I quickly hid myself below the chairs. I could hear them approaching my location. So I shut my mouth and tried to not let any sound escape my mouth. After a few minutes, the doors opened and came three guys. They were looking all around the theatre room. One guy went to the stage, another went to the backstage and the last one makes rounds at the seats.

I tried to keep myself away from their eyes. Suddenly, I tripped while moving out of the way. I freeze. Shoot. I could feel my heart stopped beating. I waited for a minute. Gosh. This is so nerve wrecking. I could feel my body shaking.

“THERE SHE IS” The guy found me

I immediately run out of the theatre room. I can’t stop right now. I could feel that they’re inches away from me. I’m so damned scared and tired. My feet are on the verge of giving up in just a few seconds. I don’t know what I should do anymore.

Why isn’t there anyone who can save me? Damn this school! How did they even enter this school? Aren’t there guards? And why the bell hasn’t rang yet? I can’t do this anymore.

Suddenly, I felt someone grabbed me by the arm and pulled me away as I was running through the intersection. I got pulled away into a dark room. I tried kicking whoever this person was and tried to scream but he immediately covered my mouth. I was going to bite him but I noticed the ring on his index finger. It was Donghae. I finally relaxed myself.

“Where the heck did she go?” the guys said in frustration

They were just outside of the room we’re hiding. I bit my lip. Damn it! I hate it so badly. What did I ever do to them? How come they knew where I was? Who told them about me? And why were they after Siwon-oppa and Donghae? Urgh! This frustrates me so much.

“Let’s go meet them. It’s late” The other guy said and they soon all go

As soon as they were gone, my knees went numb and I was about to fall but thanks to Donghae, he was able to catch before I could hit the floor.

“You, okay?” He asked

“I think I just died” I said looking into his eyes. I died when I stare into his handsome face

He then scoops me over into a bridal style then sits me into the nearest chair. That’s when I realized that we were actually at the conference room. It was dark and it was just the two of us inside the room right now. Oh my gosh! I can’t believe this is happening.

I was watching every move he makes and in every move is so flawless and I can’t help it. He look so exhausted as sweat drips from his face and his hair so messy but he still look so damn handsome. This could be the cause of my death someday. I’m so happy just like that.

He has a white box in his hands. I couldn’t really care what was on the box. I just look at his handsome face that I can’t stop loving. I could stare at him all day and I won’t ever get used to it. I had forgotten everything that happened to me back there when I saw his face.

He then looked at me in the eye and I swear I just blushed right away. I am red like a tomato. Seriously. I immediately looked away, hiding my red face from him. I hope he doesn’t notice.

“I promise, I’ll be gentle” he said so soft and serious

What does he mean by that? Why does he have to be gentle?

I look at him and finally realized what he meant. Yeah. Right. He was holding a cotton buds in his other hand with a betadine on the other. There was a scratch on my knee where I scratch myself from the chair in the theater room earlier while attempting to move out. God! I really did not notice that.

I watched as he treats my wound up until in covering it in a band aid. He looks so serious. I have never seen him like that. His face was like he was so guilty as if blaming himself why I got a scratch. I suddenly felt bad.

“No need to make a fuss about it. It was just a scratch anyway” I said making things lighter

“What are you saying? Just a scratch? Did you know that you won’t be able to become Miss Korea because of this?” He said in a serious tone

“Stop kidding. I don’t want to become a beauty queen”

“Trust me. You should.” He said still in a serious tone I’m finding hard to know if he’s kidding

I clear my throat. I wanted to ask him about them but I’m hesitating If I should do it or not. He looks so scary and I don’t want to make a wrong move.

“Go ahead. Ask it” he suddenly said

“Who are they? I mean what does Sachiro want from you?” I asked him right away

He took a deep sigh and look at me still serious. He then stands up and took a sit beside me.

“He just can’t accept the fact that the girl he likes actually likes me” He said

“YA!” I hit him in his arms which startled him, “I risk my life just because of that stupid reason???”

“Look I’m sorry you got dragged into it but it’s the truth” He said going back to his usual cool guy

I stood up. I can’t believe it. I looked at him in the eyes, waiting for him to say something. I was searching for any hint of humor in his eyes but it’s not what I found, I found something else. He didn’t want to say it. He didn’t want to tell me and it hurt me a lot because I trust him so much. I tell him almost everything and trust him with my secrets so why can’t he trust me with his?

He is really not giving away anything. So I just turn around and leave. I can’t believe he just lied to me. I really can’t accept it. Well, at least he is back with his usual self, right? URGH!

It stings. Whatever the reason is, I’m going to find out no matter what.