6. how to save a life

Milk & Cookies

*tittle: how to save a life

*genre: hurt/comfort

*writer: rottenpotoq

*a/n: hello~ it has been a long time since the last time we updated on this project ;( we are really glad that you guys are still following this series and left us many warming comments, thank you a lot. here a quick drabble i made after re-watching "john wick" so you know where i get the idea lol *shamelessly laughing*

***

hyungwon woke up shivering from the sudden cold and a heavy weight pressing on his lower body. kihyun was being an again, always stealing the blankets and putting his leg onto hyungwon's body. hyungwon slowly opened his eyes and reached out to the other side of the bed, only to realize an unfamiliar face and body wrapped up in his sheets, the reality hit him right in his guts and hyungwon just wanted to run to the bathroom and throw up. that was his one night stand going home with him from the pub last night, kihyun is no longer here and will never come back.

“hey,” hyungwon hesitated to touch the man’s shoulder, “wake up, i need to get going right now”

“uh oh,”

“hurry up, i don’t want some one night stand hanging around,” hyungwon put a hand upon his face, he was feeling dizzy. the guy blinked a few times, half sleepy half annoyed at hyungwon’s attitude.

“get out,” hyungwon shouted “get the out.”

hyungwon could hear the guy curse loudly while walking to the front door but he couldn’t care any less. a part of him wanted to apologize but the other part was telling him to act like a ed-up psychotic jerk in order to restraining himself from crying about kihyun in front of a stranger again.

the calendar on the wall told him it was july 20th, 2016. it has been 674 days since the day hyungwon lost kihyun in a car accident and he is still here, holding onto nothing and each day passes by, he gets closer the verge of self-destruction. “it gets better with time.”, hyungwon recalled what wonho told him while standing in the shower. what a lie, a beautiful and comforting lie that hyungwon does not need.

 

there is a thin line between being full of depression and feeling nothing at all. everyday, hyungwon gets up, takes a cold shower, feeds jisu – the big ginger cat that kihyun picked up from a dumpster near their old apartment three years ago a full bowl of his favourite food before going to work. he comes back home at 7, sometimes later and cooks whatever he could out of the ingredients in the fridge that he doesn’t even remember when he purchased them and feeds jisu again, then his nights are usually either staying at home reading or heading to the pub nearby and has a few drinks. the mornings after are all the same and they turn worse when his one night stands sleep in and hyungwon takes the bad taste of the harsh reality with not so much patience or sanity.

 

minhyuk handed him a cup of instant coffee during their break, quietly watched him poke into his food.

"wonho came back and he called everyone to gather at his house, you come?"

"i'm busy." hyungwon dryly replied, pretended not to see minhyuk's deep frown, "jisu can't be left alone at nights."

"you need to meet people, man."

"i'm seeing this guy," hyungwon didn't look up from his dish trying to recall if the guy from last night ever said his last name, "i'm good."

"he doesn't want you to live this way," minhyuk raised his voice but hyungwon cut him off.

"and this was a great talk." hyungwon walked away from the lunch table, his right hand clenched into a very tight fist without him even noticing.

 

hyungwon is waiting on the waiting bench at the vet clinic, it has been the third times this week he woke up to no sight of jisu sitting very neatly at the far back of his bed, waiting for her morning treat. instead he found her vomit in the kitchen and blood in the litter box. hyungwon freaked out, he couldn't imagine how his life will be if this fluffy orange ball, the last trace of kihyun left for him was gone. he drove jisu to the vet, desperately prayed for everything is still okay.

"mr. chae, your cat is pregnant." the veterinarian announced the result with a smile and hyungwon cried. he is holding jisu in his arms, doesn't know why he couldn't hold back his tears. this isn't the feeling of relief, hyungwon feels more than just relieved. jisu is still with him and she even gives bring him a good news, right, a good news is what hyungwon hasn't heard of for a long time. slowly and painfully, he has been forgetting how it feels to receive a bless but all the senses are coming back to him now, like after days locking himself in the dark room, finally, a light is peeking through the cracks of the heavy door.
 

 

minhyuk walks past hyungwon's cubicle and notices a new decorate on his friend's desk. a picture of kihyun's cat and a bunch of kittens lying all over the bed sheet. he wants to take a closer look but hyungwon cames back from somewhere and yells.

"hey don't touch it!"

"man, you have 6 kittens please i want to adopt one."

"no, they're my grandchildren and get out of my way, i need to finish this before 5."

"fine, but at least let me name them okay?" minhyuk whines, however, he can't help but smile at the sight of hyungwon lovingly looks at the cats picture before turning into his unfinished work and make a mental note of telling hyungwon to come to his bbq party on sunday, maybe his friend will go this time.