4. about coincidence and green tea

Milk & Cookies

*tittle: about coincidence and green tea

*genre: fluff

*writer: rottenpotoq

*a/n: so, we are back and we want to say thanks to you guys who read and comment/subscribe to our milk&cookie series, we are really realllllyyyy grateful for your support and please forgive us for not posting anything for a long time, we were busy with study and stuffs. thank you again, our lovely readers and enjoy this new drabble *_*

---

 

it was the first day of the second term in his sophomore year but kihyun already felt like he might collapse at any time and wished he could make a pillow out of his ridiculously heavy textbooks then sleep till the class is over. contrastive linguistics class is a nightmare, kihyun recalled what hyunwoo told him earlier when they bumped into each other at the hall and the older asked kihyun why he was so hurry and despairingly hoped he won’t get any trouble with group work or oversleep after cramming for the final exam and miss it like what happened last term.

kihyun got startled when a tall figure flopped down on the seat next to him and immediately dropped the bag and a grey windbreaker jacket along with a scarf which kihyun wasn’t sure if it really is one on the table then buried his face into that mess.

what the hell, kihyun looked at the guy in disbelief, surely this is an 7 AM class and no college student has time to dress themselves and behave like a normal human before 9 but does this guy know he hadn’t tied his shoelaces and his socks aren’t the same colour. the only bright thing about this guy, as kihyun observed, is his brown hair looks unbelievably soft and smooth that makes kihyun want to touch it so bad. it's just a habit that kihyun has as a brother with two younger sisters, he used to be the one braiding their hair and buy them ribbon hair ties when their mom was on business trip.

the stranger only sat up ten minutes before the class started and looked around. their eyes met and kihyun almost choked because that guy is so gorgeously beautiful with milky skin and unequal thick lips but kihyun wondered if the guy was making an eye-contact with him or still wandering somewhere in the not-ready-for-a-morning-class land as from his tired, puffy eyes, kihyun can tell the guy didn't have more than 3 hours to sleep last night and maybe, has no idea which class he is in. and kihyun wasn't wrong, the guy looked back to the bag in front of him and took out a canned coffee, then, a redbull.

if kihyun thought minhyuk, his annoying roommate, is the worst type of caffeineaholic when the he poured 10 bags of instant black coffee into a cup and drink it straight away the night before his history of western art final exam, then he was terribly wrong because the guy sitting next to him was preparing to pour redbull into his coffee can while mumbling "i’m going to die".

- “sure you will die if you drink that hellish mix,” damn, that sounds rude so kihyun tried to fix it by holding out his bottle, “you might want to try this.”

- “what’s in it?” the guy didn’t seem to be offended at all and kihyun felt relieved.

- “green tea, the best kind I could afford on gmarket and far better than both hot 6 and redbull combine.”

- “so this thing works?”

- “200% sure, less caffeine but strong, magically making the energy last longer, mate, and no sudden “caffeine crash” like what those energy drinks do to you,” kihyun stopped right there and speechlessly watch the guy guzzle down half of the bottle in just a second. this guy isn’t human, kihyun thought and silently regretted handling his drink to him.

- “this tastes funny,” the stranger turned to kihyun, his face split into a huge, wide grin and kihyun’s regret was instantly washed away by that sparkling smile. maybe this guy is totally not a human because kihyun had never ever seen anyone looking so delighted, so glowing just because someone gives him some tea like that.

- “thank you, hmm, what’s your name?”

- “kihyun, and you’re welcome” kihyun could feel his cheeks getting hot and he quickly averted his eyes but the guy kept his gaze fixed on kihyun.

- “thanks, kihyun, i’m hyungwon” hyungwon was still grinning, “thanks for saving my day, you know, i have three more classes today and this is truly better than coffee.”

their professor walked in before kihyun could think of anything to reply and they barely talked during the class but kihyun didn’t miss hyungwon’s messy handwriting on his notebook or his stunning side profile when the other squinted his eyes at the projector screen.

- “you could keep it,” kihyun pushed the green tea bottle towards hyungwon’s side after the bell rang, “for later classes.”

- “don’t you need it? oh , sorry, i drank too much.” hyungwon looked ashamed, the tall guy awkwardly scratched the back of his neck and kihyun found that so adorable.

- “it’s fine, i have only this class today.”

- “wait, how about getting some steamed buns at the canteen? i’ll pay.”

hyungwon didn’t let kihyun refuse, he grabbed the latter’s elbow and slightly pushed him through the front door to the hallway. both of them enjoyed their brunch and kihyun liked hyungwon’s witty literature jokes, also the way he clutched to his stomach while laughing out loud to kihyun’s story about how his roommate got kicked out of the class for accidentally throwing a notebook at the professor’s head which made his wig fall off.

the two parted away when they got to hyungwon’s french class and kihyun tried not to sound like a lovestruck high school boy when asking for the latter’s number. and kihyun never knew right when he walked away, hyungwon pulled out his phone and made a call.

- “i found him, changkyun, i found him.”

- “who?”

- “the guy from our english semantics class last term, his name is kihyun and he is freaking cute and i got his number, he asked me my number, he asked, i---“

- “stop, enough, hyung, also congrats, call me when he asks you to marry him or you ask him whatever, bye.”

- “you little , watch me i'll ask him out soon.”

hyungwon ended the call and happily went in the classroom without knowing kihyun was running back to his apartment then got caught by his blonde roommate, face was redder than a tomato and completely out of breath.

- “woah woah, slow down, buddy, are you trying to get into the marathon team or what?”

- “no, minhyuk, no“ kihyun dropped himself on his bed, covered his face with both hands, "i'm ed, there's this guy, urgh, i, well... think i lik---"
minhyuk didn't let him finished and almost threw away the mug he was holding then jumped on kihyun’s bed, demanded the latter to tell him every detail.

ten minutes later and kihyun now had no idea why his roommate broke into uncontrollable laughter while constantly hitting his favourite blue pillow.

- “you,” minhyuk tried to speak between his gasps for air, “you said his name is hyungwon? oh my god really hyungwon hahahahahahahh”

kihyun wanted to punch minhyuk so bad but it was obvious he knew something about hyungwon so he had no choice but to wait patiently till minhyuk finally stopped laughing and looked at him as if he’s the dumbest person in this universe.

- “so, chae hyungwon, 5' 11" tall, good-looking and a literature nerd, doesn’t that ring any bell with you, kihyun?” the blonde sighed in frustration, “you’re an idiot, yoo kihyun, a goddamn five-star idiot, remember last week i told you i have a friend and we thought you and his friend at your department would be a perfect match? and you refused to meet him because you hate blind dates?”

- “i know, you said it but,” kihyun’s eyes widened as realization dawned on him, “hyungwon?”

- “yeah, how funny, how coincidental, are you going to tell your boyfriend or not, mr.i-don’t-do-blind-dates?”

-“shut up, he isn’t my boyfriend, we just met.”

- “so, soon-to-be-boyfriend” minhyuk continued in his sarcastic voice, only to get a hit on his left shoulder.

 

life is always full of unexpected things but kihyun didn’t think he liked this kind of surprise. when kihyun was still in shock and afraid he might not be able to face hyungwon, thursday has come and he walked into contrastive linguistics class, realized hyungwon had already been there. this time, he wasn’t sleeping.

- “morning.”

- “morning.” kihyun smiled nervously, with a checkered shirt, a pair of ripped jeans, hyungwon looked even better than the first time they met and he couldn’t help but stare at his shoulder where the collarbones sticking out beneath his fair skin.

calm down, calm down, kihyun mentally reminded himself to act normal but hyungwon had taken out a book, Tempête: Duex novellas by J.M.G Le Clézio and asked him if he ever read it. the next thing kihyun knew is he unknowningly watched hyungwon praising the powerful and overwhelming storytelling talent of the author as if he was hypnotized, and maybe he was, by hyungwon’s lips and his low voice.

- “hey, wanna get lunch today? i know this ramen store near our college dorm, it’s excellent.”

kihyun didn’t realize the latter had ended his speech about Le Clézio and now is inviting him for lunch, this sounds a date, kihyun thought and suddenly he can hear minhyuk’s mocking him the day before “are you going to tell your boyfriend or not, mr.i-don’t-do-blind-dates?”.

they walked to the ramen store in silence, mostly because kihyun was too worried, what if hyungwon knows minhyuk and the blonde might have told him about the blind-date and kihyun’s stupidity.

- “do you, uhm, know anyone from archaeology and art department?” kihyun asked hyungwon while looking down at their shoes.

- "i do, a few people. need some help with your assignment?"

- "no, just asking. is the store near here?"

- "you're lying," hyungwon frowned, "you didn't talk to me in class and now, kihyun, i don't want to make you uncomfortable but tell me, what's wrong? you know i'll help you."

kihyun sighed loudly then looked up.

- "my roommate, you know i told you about him last week. he's lee minhyuk, do you know him?"

- "not in person but my friend, jooheon, have you ever heard of his name? he talked about your roommate sometimes. i never knew you two are friends."

- "the thing is, hyungwon, i'm glad we talked and i think we could be friends and," kihyun took a deep breath, avoided hyungwon's concerned look, "i don't want to lie to you, but last week minhyuk tried to set me up with a person who is from our department and well, i refused to meet up because i'm not fond of blind dates,"

- "so, same department as me, like sweets and tea, a book addict," hyungwon cut kihyun off, he looked half amused half admiring, "that's what jooheon told me when he said his friend would introduce me to this person."

kihyun wanted to dig a hole and disappeared immediately, but did hyungwon mean he didn't accept the blind date either?

- "you didn't want a blind date, right?"

- "honestly, i don't mind blind dates at all but i refused because i already had someone on my mind."

that reply was like a knife went straight through kihyun's heart but he tried to play it cool.

- "good for you, mate, we should hurry up, don't you have a class at 1pm?"

- "just so you know, i saw that person at my english semantics class the previous term, i didn't know his name and he always sat at the front while i was at the back, well, i usually came late so i didn't have any chance," hyungwon paused, a perplexed look crossed his face, "but i met him this year, in our class and he gave me a bottle of green tea."

kihyun couldn't utter a word. he just stood there, it was a windy day but he felt like sweating from head to toe and his body is burning with embarrasment.

- "it was you, kihyun." hyungwon leaned down and placed a light kiss on kihyun's cheek as he continued "i like you, and your tea, would you want to go out with me?"

kihyun reached hyungwon's left hand and held it firmly, "i like you, too" he whispered, and they both laughed. only god knows how long their friends would make fun of their story but honestly, neither kihyun or hyungwon would care as they found each other. that's the only thing matters.