Chapter 4 - Prince Charming

Yours to Choose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As usual, I got carried away.

Art, like books, was my weakness and I never could stop myself from talking too much when I got started and it was only after I saw the rather amused smile on my companion's face that I abruptly shut up, feeling my cheeks burn.

I also realized, at the same time, that I hadn't even noticed the first dignitary – one Sir Zhoumi, Earl of something or the other if I wasn't wrong – go away and the next one take his place. In fact, I wasn't even sure I'd introduced myself or asked for his. How utterly mortifying.

He seemed to sense my discomfort though and smiled kindly, one cheek immediately indenting. 'Please continue, I was quite enjoying our discussion.' 

Now that I was in a more conscious state of mind, I realized two things.

One, he was absolutely, stunningly handsome, in a way quite different from what I was used to.

Two, I had forgotten everything I knew about murals and frescoes and whatnot; in fact, I was pretty sure I'd even forgotten to breathe.

There was only one time in my life I had forgotten to breathe and that was when Jongdae had returned after Baekhyun had pushed him into the stream, half-dried shirt clinging to his frame and hair utterly messed up, looking absolutely debauched and so, so handsome I forgot what I'd been saying to Kyungsoo – who'd managed to both evade Baekhyun and then toss him into the stream before joining me at the bank. It'd felt like lightning had struck me then.

It felt it had hit me again.

'Uh…' I replied intelligently, feeling my cheeks heat up. For the life of me, I couldn’t recall a single thing, not even what I'd been saying a few moments earlier.

He smiled again – oh dear lord, that dimple! – but before he could say anything, Minseok showed up.

'I am so sorry for abandoning you like that,' he said, not noticing the company until he was beside me, 'We couldn't find…' he seemed to notice the man in front of us then. 'Oh, you're here.'

'Indeed,' he nodded, casting me a glance before smiling at Minseok. 'You were looking for me?'

There was a slight accent to his words but I couldn't place it. MInseok shook his head, smiling wryly. 'Tao was looking for you. At least inform him before you decide to vanish – he was worried sick.'

His smile turned a little sheepish. 'I'm sorry, I got caught up with these wonderful murals and even more wonderful company.'

I blushed so hard, I was sure I looked like a tomato. He sounded so sincere.

Minseok turned to me, looking apologetic. 'I'm sorry for interrupting your conversation but I really need to borrow him for a while.'

I shook my head to show I didn't mind. 'You're an angel,' he smiled at me before frowning at my companion. 'Come on, before your prince decides to take matters into his own hands.'

He sighed wearily, shaking his head before turning to me and bowing with a flourish. 'It has been a pleasure meeting you, m'lady.'

'Oh no,' I replied, politeness forcing the words out of me, 'the pleasure was all mine.'

He straightened and eyed me thoughtfully for a moment before turning to Minseok. I did not see what passed between them but Minseok stepped away, leaving us in isolation.

He gave me another charming smile but his eyes were quite serious, laden with a heavy question as he took hold of my hand. 'May I have the next dance?' 

I nodded almost automatically, too mesmerized to think clearly. Smiling softly, he dropped a kiss on my knuckles – I resisted the desire to shiver – before bowing and taking his leave.

I hurried towards the seats, collapsing into the first one I came across, feeling very weak in the knees and fanned myself, for once appreciating the extravagant accessory mother insisted I carry.

It was only after I'd calmed down that I realized I didn't even know his name. I was assuming he'd introduced himself but I hadn't paid attention to it since I'd been distracted by the murals. No matter, I could always ask Minseok.

Speaking of, the man had disappeared once again. I slumped into my chair before straightening my shoulders out of habit – mother would be greatly offended if she saw me slouching like this – and quietly staring at the dance floor.

I was daydreaming about the dimple-cheeked gentleman when Minseok returned, sliding into the seat beside me. 'You left quite an impression on Yi-, er, Lu Han.'

I blinked slowly. 'Lu…Han?'

'Lord Han to you,' he replied, smiling brightly. I realized that was my companion's name… a foreigner, then. Mae would be ecstatic.

'Good one, I hope,' I muttered, pulling on the fingers of my gloves nervously, 'I was yapping unstoppably.'

'He seemed to have enjoyed it,' Minseok smiled back. We sat in silence for a few minutes before I remembered he'd been taking me to meet someone – although, to be quite honest, I did not feel like meeting anyone else after Lord Han – but Minseok shook his head. 'You just met him.'

I stared at him in shock. 'You wanted me to meet with Lord Han?'

He nodded, looking pleased with himself. 'I thought you'd like him and I was right, wasn't I?'

I couldn’t help laugh at his face, hitting his shoulder with my fan. 'Stop being smug, it's unattractive.'

He pretended like I'd wounded him before someone called his name again; he rolled his eyes, muttering something about foolish overgrown dignitaries who needed babysitting even now and I was left giggling while he went off again, telling me to save him a seat.

I watched the couples dance on the floor, trying to remember the sequence of steps so I wouldn't embarrass myself. A few moments later, Mae slipped into the seat beside me, flushed pink and fanning herself aggressively.

'Why are you sitting down?' she chirruped happily.

I turned to take a good look at her; her cheeks were rosy but she hadn't been on the floor for a while now… and her lips were quite pink, far more than they should be, even with the colored balm she'd applied. Glancing over her shoulder, I spied Baekhyun slipping back inside the ballroom from one of the alcoves, hair in absolute disarray and shirt scrunched up questionably, looking rakish, disreputable and absolutely elated.

It wasn’t hard to put two and two together.

'Mae Ri Im, were you kissing Baekhyun?' I exclaimed, loud enough to horrify Mae. She smacked a palm over my mouth, blushing and hissing, 'Quiet, will you?'

I smacked it away, still staring at her in awe. 'You did, didn't you?'

'I said quiet,' she hissed again, not meeting my eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter