Chapter 11 - Masquerade

Yours to Choose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The news of Baekhyun’s heroics spread like wildfire through the guests and by mid-morning, nearly everyone was speaking of how valiantly Lord Byun had taken an arrow to his shoulder for Lord Han. Lord Han, overcome with gratitude, had withdrawn his request for duel and instead, requested that he be officially pardoned.

Which was good news but Baekhyun was not satisfied.

‘That coward,’ he seethed, pacing up and down the length of the drawing room. Mae’s eyes followed him while he paced. ‘Using this as an excuse to get out of fighting! And I did not take any arrows for him!’

 ‘Well, I am glad that he did,’ Mae countered, much to Baekhyun’s chagrin.

‘You think I can’t fight him?’ he demanded, marching up to her. Mae looked away, the answer obvious on her face.

Baekhyun sputtered in outrage. ‘I can take him any time I want, I’ll have you know!’ He moved his injured shoulder a little too enthusiastically, groaning in pain the next second.

Mae went to his side immediately, patting his arm soothingly. Kyungsoo, who’d been observing them quietly, turned to face me.

I was still in a state of semi-shock. I was sure it had been Jongdae but that couldn’t be true.

The torn piece of linen in my hands stared back at me, evidence that I hadn’t dreamed it up.   

But it couldn’t have been Jongdae. Maybe it was someone who just looked like him. Uncannily so… I hadn’t seen Jongdae in over ten years; surely my memory was sketchy and I was just…

Overlaying my fantasies over reality.

I stared down at the piece of cloth again. I wished with all my heart that it was Jongdae, even if he’d been doing something as questionable as attacking a foreign noble. I wished it was true but I knew it wasn’t.

Because Jongdae had died. My heart hurt, even now, just thinking about it.  But they had returned Jongdae’s locket to me, obtained from one of the pirates who were captured. He’d related, in great detail, how he’d killed the man wearing it.

I shook my head to stave off the tears that suddenly threatened to spill.

Kyungsoo’s hand landed my head, softly patting it and I sniffled. ‘Out with it,’ he said, smiling fondly at me. ‘Why the long face?’

I smiled wanly and shook my head. ‘It’s nothing. I just… miss Jongdae.’ My lips wobbled. ‘So much.’

Kyungsoo sighed, pulling me into a gentle hug. I went easily, burying my face in his shoulder and inhaling deeply. ‘What brought this about?’ he asked after a while.

I stared at the cloth once again. ‘The man who attacked Lord Han…’

Kyungsoo turned his head to face me but I didn’t look up, toying with the rag. ‘He looked… a lot like Jongdae.’

‘You saw him?’ Kyungsoo asked, a strange note in his voice. I ignored it. ‘He looked so much like how I imagine Jongdae would look if he were alive and…’ I shook my head. ‘I’m just being silly.’

Kyungsoo didn’t say anything and I was glad. I knew I was being silly but there were times when I wanted to indulge in silly fantasies. That’s all I had left, after all.

………………………………………….

Baekhyun’s name had been cleared and Mae had finally accepted his proposal. Lord Han had also apparently expressed remorse about his behavior, citing ignorance of foreign customs as reason for his impolite behavior. And he’d even gone as far as visiting father and apologizing for his behavior.

Not to be rude but as I had heard Sehun say once, bollocks. Telling me he would court me and would ask my hand immediately if not for my country’s customs was not ignorance. It was blatant manipulation.

Mother agreed with me but Father was all for forgiving and forgetting.

‘It’s a matter of international relations,’ he placated Mother. ‘With the crown backing him…’

‘He’s still a reprobate,’ Mother replied. ‘And what about all the gossip about Minah?’

‘Our host has taken note of it; they’ve assured me that not a single word will be heard against our Minah. They will remove any such person from the property.’

Which was all well and good but I wasn’t particularly looking forward to going back to a ball again. Not after Lord Han.  

‘Oh, come now,’ Mae cajoled. ‘I doubt Lord Han will show up. And even if he did, he will stick to Lady Yi. Besides, it’s a masquerade.  You won’t have any trouble hiding from him.’

It was a little reassuring. I glanced at my sister. She looked back at me earnestly. ‘Please Minah?’

I sighed, giving in. ‘Fine.’

………………………………………….

The anonymity afforded by the mask was a blessing and I didn’t feel as self-conscious as I was wont to. Hiding behind the feathered mask somehow made it easier to parry the flirtatious compliments of the various gentlemen as we danced. It was easier to mingle and the rumormongers had less to go by when the identities were covered.

Of course, one could always recognize distinct personages like Baekhyun and Mae, who stood out despite their masks. But for less known people like myself, it was a godsend.

My current partner, if my suspicions were true, was Lord Taekwoon Jung, whose mask couldn’t quite hide his distinctive eyes. I wondered if he could recognize me, remembering what Kyungsoo had told me. But it seemed like he didn’t and I was glad for it.

I was planning to sit out the next dance but before I could make my way off the dance floor, I was accosted by none other than Lord Han. It irked me that I recognized him with a single glance, the mask on his face not sufficient to hide the deep groove his cheek, giving him away instantly.

‘May I have this dance?’ he asked, bowing courteously.

Part of me was tempted to refuse but another part of me wanted to confront him. So, I agreed, placing my gloved fingers in his hand.

The dance was vastly different from my previous experience and the silence felt overbearing this time around, filled with unspoken tension. I wanted to break it, to demand some answers but I couldn’t bring myself to it. Ultimately, it was Lord Han who spoke first.

‘You seem upset, Lady Im.’ he commented lightly as we came close, fingers tightening around mine.

I didn’t deem that statement worthy of a reply.

‘Understandably so,’ he commented on the next turn. I pursed my lips in response. He continued, ‘I do wish you’d allow me to explain myself, though.’

It irritated me. He was engaged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter