Chapter 9 - Nightmare

Reversed Cinderella Story

“Yah! Do you want to sleep out there?” – My master yells, pulling me back to reality.

“Why are you yelling for?” – I scream back, frustrated. I tolerated enough of his rudeness today I am not planning to endure anymore. Now my prince already left, I can freely express my anger to my crazy master. I have to teach him a manner lesson. He can’t just do whatever he wants because he is my master.

I angrily walk inside the house where my master is waiting by the entrance.

“What is wrong with you today?” – I bark at him.

He stares at me without talking then slowly walks closer to me. He is trespassing my personal space, one step at a time, I am getting nervous. As reflex, I back away from him, with my front is still facing him. He doesn’t plan to stop and keeps walking toward me. As I take one step further from him, he makes one step closer to me. It is like we are dancing without music. Before I know it, I am already cornered by him. I feel like a useless deer in front of the scary hunter, can’t even move or look away from him. His eyes fix on me. There are some kind of devil force in those dark brown eyes that keep me from looking away.

He presses his finger on my chin, tilts my face closer to him.

“You are really bad today, my maid. How dare you pay attention to another man that was not your master?” – He says, serious tone, staring at me intensely.

I am speechless for a second. His stare was so extreme that takes my breath away. I guess I died for a moment and my soul escapes somewhere far away from my body so I can’t respond to him by any mean. It takes me a while to put my soul back to my head and pushes him away. – “What kind of nonsense is that? I am your maid, not your mother. Why can’t I pay more attention to another man?” – I yell, frustrated. My heart beat fast. Since the day I started working for him until now, my heart beat fast very often. Sometimes I don’t know if it was because I was nervous or because I was angry or my heart really had a condition that doctor hasn’t been able to figure out. For whatever reason is, it is totally bad for my health. I think my heart has been overworking. That is all his fault. I will make him pay if there is anything wrong with my heart. It was perfectly fine before I work for him. And look what he done to my heart in just a few weeks.

Poor my little heart!

He pushes me back to the corner. His arms block both of my side, his face comes extremely close to my face, his nose is about to touch mine and all I can do is paralyzed and staring at him.

“You are my maid. You belong to me. Your duty is focusing on serving me, only me. Do you understand?” – He firmly says

Now he is pissing me off. I hate most when people try to possess me. I am a free human being, not some kind of object to be owned by only one person. I hate possessive people the most. I push him out, firm and violent. He backs out a several steps.

“Do you know what century is this already? 21” – I yell. – “There is no more slavery system in this society. I am not belonged to you or anyone. I am a free person and I will do whatever I want.” – I stare at him angrily.  

He looks at me for a moment, not a bit change in his expression and just walks away to his room. Not saying a single word. This guy really irritates me. I hate it when I can’t read his facial expression, can’t understand what is going on in his head. Sometime I wish I can just cut his head a half and read what he is thinking. Well, on second thought, I don’t really want to know what is in his head, probably all ert thoughts. I am sure I will regret knowing what is going on in his dark dirty mind.

Anger is still burning in my head. I really want to have a big fight with him but I decide not to. I know I will only end up being more angry. I star at his back keep further away from me and imaging a hundred ways to kill him in my head. Yes, he already died 100 times in my mind.

I decide to put my irritation in cleaning the dishes. As I start getting used to house chores, I realize that doing dishes is a very good way of releasing stress. I can put all my frustration in the dirty dishes, crash them with soap and sponge until no dirty spot left. I am imagining the dish in my hand is my master’s face and I keep rubbing and rubbing fiercely so all his rudeness, weirdness, and tartness can be washed away wish soap. I am sure than he will need an ocean of soap to clean his head.

A message suddenly arrives interrupting my dishwashing therapy. I dry my hand and check my phone. I wonder who send me message this time of the day. It is from my prince. I literally am jumping up and down from happiness. My prince really sent me a message. I can’t wait even a minute longer and immediately open the text message.

“I promised to send you a song, here it is. I hope you enjoy it. I’m probably not as good as Frank Sinatra but I sang this song from the bottom of my heart. This song is for you.”

OMG, it is the sweetest text message ever, I open the file that he attached with the message. He probably records the song with his phone. It starts with a sweet guitar playing. I can imagine him sitting on the chair, handsomely playing the guitar with his emotional face under the moonlight. It is definitely the perfect picture.

 I recognize this song. It is “The way you look tonight”, one of my favorite songs of all time. He starts singing.

“Someday when I'm awfully low
When the world is cold
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight

Oh, but your lovely
With your smile so warm and your cheek so soft
There is nothing for me, but to love you
Just the way you look tonight

With each word your tenderness grows
Tearing my fear apart
And that laugh, that wrinkles your nose
It touches my foolish heart

Lovely, never never change
Keep that breathless charm
Won't you please arrange it because I, I love you?
Just the way you look tonight
Just the way you look tonight”

 

Awe, did he just use the song to confess with me? I don’t to get ahead of myself but if it’s true, that is the sweetest confession ever. I keep replaying the song over and over again. I plug the earphone on and keep listening to it while doing the dishes and wearing the silliest smile on my face. I feel like he is whispering the words to my ears and it runs straight to my heart keep it on beating fast. He could just send me any other song that he performed before but he chose to record a fresh one, a personal one, just for me.

I am touched.

I keep on listening to his song for more than 100 times I’m sure. Until I go to bed, I still hear his beautiful voice in my ear. I am falling in love with his voice. I close my eyes, enjoying the lovely melody and before I know it, I already deeply in sleep.

In my dream, I see him again, he is wearing royal outfit like the one that Cinderella’s prince wore, riding a white horse. He is handsome and graceful. He smiles at me bright and dazzled. “Do you want to come for a ride my Cinderella?” – He asks, offering his hand to me. I am reaching out my hand to him. It is the most beautiful moment. He is about to take my hand but from the middle of nowhere, a black horse appears, running furiously toward our direction, separates the prince from me.

“You are my maid, how dare you take another man’s hand.”

That voice, that tone of speaking is very familiar. I look up and no dobt, my master is the one riding that crazy black horse. Great! Now he interrupts me even in my dream too. My dream is support to be my private space. Why is he here too? This guy is really trying to drive me crazy.

He jump out of the horse black, land to the ground, handsomely like in some classic Chinese movie. Darn it, did I just compliment him? What’s wrong with me? I am really crazy.

He walks closer to me, sits down on one knee in front of me, again, he tilts my head to face him, his face gets closer and closer to me. OMG he is about to kiss me.

 NOOOOOOO!

I wake up, open my eye wide. It’s already 6 A.M

Thank God, it is just a dream.

It was supposed to be a sweet dream but that guy had to interrupt it. He haunts me even in my dream. My master is indeed my biggest nightmare. I tiredly open the door to get water from the kitchen but I am startle as my master appears in front of me. I rub my eyes to clear my vision. I touch his face, well actually I pinches his face to make sure he is a real person, not a dream.

“What are you doing?” – He scowls

 “That’s my question. What are you doing in front of my room so early in the morning?” – I ask, annoyed.

“I am about to wake you up.” – He says

“Why? You normally don’t wake up this early.”

“I need you to go work with me today.” – He demands

“Why? My job is a maid. I only work inside your home, not outside.” – I reason.

“My personal assistant is sick today. My agency can’t find a substitute for the day so I need you to replace her spot for one day.”

“I don’t want to.” – I arrogantly say then force my way to the kitchen.

“You have to.” – He follows me.

“I don’t have to.” – I say, ignoring him.

“Just do it for one day” – He keeps on being persistent.

“What’s in it for me?” – I asks, sipping water.

“You can meet a lot of celebrities.” – He says as it is something that can convince me.

I stare at him for a moment, don’t bother to hide my irritation – “Do I look like someone that is interested in celebrity?” – I ask, annoyed

“I don’t know how to convince you. Just help me this time. I will do whatever you want for one day.” – He offers, desperate.

It is really annoyed being followed around by him so early in the morning especially after last night dream. He doesn’t seem to be going to give up anytime soon so I say yes out of annoyance. Later, I regret it very much. I should have stayed strong. He – outside of the house – is one hundred times more annoyed than him – at home. I learn to think carefully before agreeing anything with him from now on.