False Truth?

Puppet

Chapter 5

False Truth?

“Come on son, it’s time for breakfast now.” Sunho said, wrapping his arm around Kyuhyun’s shoulders. Kyuhyun continued sniffling lightly, glaring back once again at the short figure standing by the window.

Ryeowook’s eyes were smoldering with unshed tears as he looked at the disappearing back of his best friend. He felt as if his last pillar of support had just been broken and he just stood there, unmoving. That Sunho had indeed fulfilled his threat. He had indeed taken away everyone whom he held dear.

He gripped the edge of the table for support, his legs suddenly feeling way too weak. His eyes stung from the salty water swimming in them. His whole body felt abnormally hot, his throat raspy and dry. He felt so devastated, he wanted to scream his frustrations for the world to know but no voice emitted from his throat. It was as if his own body had left him too. He felt utterly alone, nothing seemed alright now.

Suddenly his knees buckled away under him as he fell on the carpeted floor with a dull thud. His arms, that were keeping his upper body from planting on the floor, started shaking as moisture finally left his blood shot eyes and fell on the carpet, making blotches of varied sizes on it.

His last string of hope, his best friend, had been taken from him too and he, like always, wasn’t able to do anything. Not a single ing thing…

8~҈~8

Donghae stood at his guarding post on the king’s doors. He strained his ears slightly, alarmed from the amount of yelling coming from inside. He was contemplating the idea of going inside after all the king’s safety was his priority now, well as told to him by the others. He heard a crash from inside followed by some more yelling. He placed his hand on the door handle, deciding on whether to turn it or not. Suddenly the door was opened from inside and Sunho and his son exited the room. Donghae stood on his post, greeting them but went ignored.

He sighed once the two were out of view and decided to peer inside the room. What he saw shocked him through the core. The always so cold, uptight and nearly emotionless king was crying.

He stood in the doorway, gaping like a fish. After standing there for nearly 5 minutes it finally registered in his mind that yes, the brat was crying. Not knowing what to do, he entered the room. He stood behind the crying teen who was curled up on himself, moving to-and-fro on his heels. He heard some muttering coming from him. Maybe the young king still hadn’t noticed him.

Now that he looked at him like this, he really looked his age, it was kind of saddening. He suddenly felt pity for the boy on the floor. Suddenly a memory floated in his mind, from his childhood. The scene in front of him eerily reminded him of Hyukjae from long ago, from the time when the guy’s big brother had died, his only biological family left.

Not realizing what he was doing, he bent down and wrapped his arms around Ryeowook, not leaving him even when the young king retorted.

“L-leave m-m-me a-a-alo-alone.” Ryeowook mumbled, his voice cracking and barely audible enough. Donghae just tightened his grip around him, saying nothing. “H-hey…! I-I-I…”

“My job is to protect you. I am doing just that.” Donghae said, his hands unconsciously smoothing down the brown tresses of the crying lad.

8~҈~8

Ryeowook continued to sob, still trying to get away from the older man. He didn’t want to hamper his image more than he already did. He don’t even want to imagine what will happen once the truth got out, that will only warrant death sentence for the ones he held dear.

Shaking his head, he punched the man but it didn’t come out with much strength as to the other only grunted lightly.

“Instead of being an arrogant brat, can’t you, for once, be like a normal guy? Pardon for my rudeness, but I think you should drop the prideful act for once. Just let it out you idiot, don’t act so tough and strong when I have already seen you sobbing like a toddler.”

That was the cue for Ryeowook. Everything came back at once. Overwhelmed, he sobbed so hard that Donghae thought he was having an asthma attack. He held onto the arms wrapped around him for support, not quite able to breathe. Tears literally rained from his eyes, soaking Donghae’s uniform. After about 5 minutes, Donghae finally asked, “So may I have the permission to ask what had happened?”

“H-he, Kyu he…Su-Sunho stole…h-he…I-I feel so lonely!” Ryeowook sobbed out, not able to talk sensibly. He was nearly going in hysterics.

Donghae patted his back calmingly, seemingly have forgotten whom he was currently hugging in the first place. “Calm down now, I am here ya know. How can you be alone if I am here?” he said to the boy in his arms.

Ryeowook sniffled lightly, looking up at the older man’s face.

Donghae nearly pinched his cheeks. The young king was reaaallly young. The hopeful and expectant look in his eyes reminded him of himself when Shindong had accepted him and Hyukjae in the village.

Suddenly Ryeowook frowned and shut his eyes, a few tears slipping out. “No, you are gonna leave me too. If not by choice then he will make you, like he made everyone else.” He mumbled, his hands loosening the tight hold he had on the man’s arms.

Donghae just remained quite but his hold never loosened. “Don’t worry about the future, now is what matters.”

Ryeowook decided to stay silent, contemplating over what his new bodyguard had just said. After at least 10 minutes of silence, he finally decided to break it. “You are right. You are absolutely right.” He said more like to himself rather than his companion.

Donghae just nodded.

Ryeowook wiped his moist cheeks, his throat feeling unnaturally dry and hoarse. Side-effects of bawling like a ing baby, he guessed.

“Are you sure you are okay?”

“Yes, I am okay now. All thanks to you, Donghae-ssi.” Ryeowook thanked him, standing up. He lent his hand to the older man and pulled him up too. He bowed a perfect 90 degree, apologizing and thanking him at the same time. “I sincerely apologize for the uncharacteristically immature behavior you just had to witness but thank you for helping me, Donghae-ssi, I will forever be in your debt.”

Donghae rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. Heck the ing king of the whole damn kingdom was bowing in front of him, who wouldn’t be flustered?! “Aah! No need to your majesty, it was my duty and own wishes to help you overcome the depressing state you just passed, it was my pleasure to do so.” He too, bowed a perfect 90 degree.

Both of them stood silently before suddenly laughing.

“Let me join in the fun too, you guys!” Sungmin barged in the room, smiling like usual but it seemed slightly strained today.

“Hyung!” Ryeowook greeted him, bowing lightly followed by Donghae who bowed deeper.

When both of them finally stood up straight, Sungmin noticed the red and puffy eyes that belonged to no other but his favorite little majesty. He sighed, already knowing what had happened. After all, he was the one who had just stopped Kyuhyun from ransacking the whole damn castle. In the process, he had learnt about what had transpired in this certain room barely an hour ago.

“I just wanted to inform you that Sunho’s out. Breakfast’s ready too, so hurry up!” he said, running off immediately.

Suddenly a bulb went off in Donghae’s head. He clicked his fingers catching the attention of the young king who was now not all that uptight and emotionless around him.

“Do you want to go out, your maj-“

“You can call me Ryeowook.”

“Uhh okay umm Ryeowook-ssi. Anyways, do you wanna go out in the streets, to divert your attention or something.” Donghae proposed earning excited nods from the younger.

Ryeowook nodded excitedly, it was seldom that he got to go out just for the heck of it. And now that Sunho wasn’t here too, it was the perfect chance!

“Great, I will go and prepare your disguise.” Donghae said, rushing off.

8~҈~8

Kyuhyun turned over once again. He had been lying in his bed ever since the fight he had today with Ryeowook. He couldn’t believe that his Ryeongu will turn so damn cruel and greedy as to lock up his own father only for the purpose of getting the throne. Moreover, he had never thought he would be so so so so damn of a ruler. Heck who gave death sentence just for not being able to pay the full tax.

He looked over at the wall on the other side of the room. A picture hung on it, containing him hugging Wookie with his uncle and Wook’s precious Kiki. He didn’t know why but he felt guilty for whatever had happened. Maybe if he wouldn’t have gone away then things might not have turned for the worse, maybe Wookie wouldn’t have done what he did. He couldn’t help but remember the way Ryeowook had just silently kept taking on whatever his dad accused him of, as if accepting the claims.

That was the thing that disappointed him the most. He didn’t even try to fight off those claims. He didn’t know what to perceive from it, but whatever came to his mind wasn’t in favor of the shorter guy. Too many questions were currently swimming in his head.

He changed sides once again, hugging his pillow close to his chest. Memories from their past were suddenly popping up. The time when he first met the other guy, when they both befriended each other, their small fights, the first they celebrated each other’s birthday together, everything just came back like a bullet and tore through his heart.

He can’t believe it. He just can’t ing believe it!

TBC