Smackdown

t h e d a y i m e t y o u

 

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

-Mike Tyson

 

 

A blink of an eye, and I’m on the floor again like a gunny sack thrown across the air, the wind knocked out of me so suddenly I barely have time to react.

Thud.

My whole body feels like it’s been hit by a truck.

His face peers down at me and a smirk decorates his curled lips.

“Is that the best you can do?” Jungkook sneers before I shut my eyes, groaning as I sat up.

He laughs at me as I force myself to stand, and he bounces on the balls of his feet around the ring as he circles me, sending taunting looks while I struggle to keep my breathing calm.

Focus. Don’t let your anger take control.

Someone hangs around outside the ring, watching us. “Ready?” Baekhyun calls out.

I turned to him and give a thumbs up.

When I turned back to Jungkook, he’s already barrelling for me and taking me down like a weightless doll.

I’m on the floor again, looking up desperately as Jungkook pins me to the floor and gives another of his stupid, arrogant grins.

Baekhyun sighs and scribbles something in his clipboard and shoots me a look as I bring myself to a standing stance, meeting Jungkook’s eyes.

Oh, how I hate him.

***

Leaving the women’s bathrooms with a sigh, I sling my towel over one shoulder and walk into the locker room with my head down, knowing the looks of amusement on the faces of the other girls who came to take their self-defence classes.

“You okay, kiddo?” one of the other girls asks me as she leans against the lockers, “I saw the number of smackdowns and got a little worried. You lost ten rounds in a row, what do you feel?”

I hear someone sniggering and shrug. “I’ll be back on my feet tomorrow,” I say, as I open my locker, taking out my bag.

“I feel so bad you’re paired up with the Golden Ace,” she continues, “Why do you even let Coach Baek pair him with you if you’re gonna get your kicked every lesson?”

I sighed, not answering her.

“If you want, you could always practice with us after class.”

I look up at her. “I can’t. I’ve got national exams coming up, my schedule’s already crammed,” I tell her.

She shrugged. “ to be you, then,” she says, patting my back in what was supposed to be a supportive manner, but almost sending me flying towards the floor. “Take care of yourself, Jihyun,” she says as I make my way to leave, “See you tomorrow!”

I regret walking out of the locker rooms that very moment, because I see Jungkook walking out of the men’s at the same time.

He is wiping his wet hair, already dressed in his school blazer as he hangs around near the receptionist, talking to one of the muscly guys there as though it would make him any cooler.

I do not want to catch his eye.

I do not want to acknowledge that we’re from the same school, even though I’ve made sure to not wear my school blazer for the time being, if only to not be grouped with him.

Coach Baekhyun knows, though. He often asks why I don’t go to school with Jungkook. Last week he even dared tell the star student to walk me to school since we were going the same way.

As if I would ever want to walk with him.

But…no one says no to the coach.

Looking back, it was one of the most awkward walks to school I ever had in my entire life.

Eyes widening, I duck my head and walk past him as fast as I can, practically running out of the center, internally screaming as my muscles contract in agony. With my bag and blazer in my hands, I stuffed my feet into my school shoes and dash out into the street, not looking back.

I must not be seen with Jungkook.

Making sure that no one knows about my involvement with him is pretty easy: leave the fitness club earlier than him, and arrive promptly for school before him. If anyone knew that I knew him outside of school – and a lot of people would kill to be in my situation – I’d be hunted down.

I don’t know what it is about popular kids. Especially one as popular as Jeon Jungkook, the school’s golden representative in almost anything. Sports club, debate club, photography club, academics, even visuals…it’s like he was born to excel in pretty much everything.

No.

I am not jealous.

One’s self-esteem takes a toll for the worse when she is in the presence of a glorified ace such as Jungkook. You can’t not blame a person for putting lots of effort only to be one-upped by someone who doesn’t even need to work so hard.

This is why I do not like Jeon Jungkook.

***

“How’s your body?” Coach barks the next day before class starts. There is no one around yet and I arrived early after jogging all the way from school. Which is about a mile and a half, but I’m fine with the pain. It won’t be as bad as later.

I look up from my stretches. “I’m okay,” I say, because to admit pain is to show Coach I am not ready for lesson.

He places his hands on his hips. “What are we going to do with you, Jihyun?” he asks, significantly softer this time as he sits next to me, “Look, I know you can get through this, that’s why I’m not pairing you up with anyone else. But your performance is only getting worse. Where is my fiery little sister?”

“Is that supposed to inspire me?” I ask sarcastically, “My own brother doesn’t mind seeing me beaten to a pulp, why would he do that now?”

He rolls his eyes. “Because-“ he begins, before giving up and sighing instead, “Because if you train with the best, you’re able to anticipate danger faster and take care of yourself without me around.”

I hug my knees to my chest, remembering the unfortunate incident that was the catalyst to my presence here in my brother’s fitness center. “I was only robbed,” I say softly, “I only fractured my arm.”

“And the thief could have done more than that,” he tells me, before getting up to his feet. “But thank goodness he didn’t, and you get to live another day to learn how to beat people like him instead.”

“Too bad that didn’t work out,” I tell him, and he massaged his forehead. “I’m a mess every practice thanks to your lovely ace student.”

“He’s good, you just have to learn how to keep up.”

I am about to retort a reply, when the devil himself entered the practice room. “Hi, Coach!” he says brightly, handing out a plastic bag, “I got you some burgers because I know how much you like them. The stall outside just opened.”

Baekhyun’s eyebrow rises and he accepts. “See, Jihyun, you should bring some food for me too, you know.”

“You mean bribe you,” I say back, straightening my legs and reaching for my toes, “How convenient is it that our evaluation is tomorrow.”

I ignore Jungkook’s staring, and shut my eyes instead.

Then I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I open my eyes, mimicking my brother’s eyebrow move when I look at the burger in front of my face.

“It’s not just for Coach, you can have one too,” Jungkook says.

“I’m not hungry,” I tell him, even though my stomach is grumbling and no one hears it but me, “Thanks, but no thanks.”

Jungkook chews on his bottom lip and awkwardly puts down his offering. “Okay.”

I watch as he goes over to the farthest corner of the room, underneath the aircon, before plugging earphones in his ear and begins to jog on the spot.

Darned kid doesn’t even look too hurt that I rejected his food. Must he be excellent in being cool too, I wonder?

“Yah."

I jump at my brother’s voice, so near me.

Baekhyun is watching me watching Jungkook, his mouth full with food. “Why are you glaring at him?” he asks, and I roll my eyes.

“I’m not glaring at him,” I scoff.

“You’re staring like you want to eat him up alive. Do you like him or something?”

“Lord, no,” I say in dread, glancing at Jungkook, who is bobbing his head as he does his push ups.

My brother finishes the last of his burger. “He’s cute though, I’ll give you that,” he teases, as I give him a look of pure distaste.

***

“Okay, Jihyun, almost there, almost- AAAAAAHHH!” Baekhyun yells in disappointment as I fall to the ground again.

I am beginning to be dizzy from all this falling…the ceiling lights aren’t doing much to brighten my surroundings; in fact they’re like little blinking lights trying to knock me out.

“Come on, Jihyun, up, get up!” Baekhyun’s voice urges me, but I filter him out. My body feels like a rag doll tossed around by some unforgiving owner. Part of me wants to see how much more Jungkook can throw me, while the other just wants everything to stop.

It isn’t my fault I was mugged on my way home.

It isn’t my fault that the motorcyclist snatched my bag off my shoulder and twisted my arm as he dragged me across the sidewalk.

It is my fault, however, for sneaking out of the house to go clubbing. I’ll admit to that.

But in my defence, I really held onto my handbag. That was a gift from my brother, and he rarely ever bought me expensive things.

Jungkook pulls me up in one fluid motion and I hear some girl complimenting his strength, but all I can do is push myself away from him, almost hissing like an angry cat.

He looks sort of offended at the gesture, but I don’t care. Whatever first impression he has ever had of me, I don’t care for it.

We are not friends.

Just enemies in the ring.

Baekhyun looks at me. “Jihyun, do you want to take five?”

He knows, I tell myself, he knows I’m getting pissed.

My jaw muscles tense. “I’m fine,” I ground out. Glancing at the clock, I realize it’s only been an hour into practice, and I already want to leave.

“Ready?” he asks, and I take a deep breath.

I nod.

Jungkook manages to smirk before he flips me like a pancake.

***

Baekhyun demands I stay back after training, and he is determined to make me reflect on today’s training, which he describes as a close success had I known how to meet Jungkook’s strength.

“Wrestling is not about resisting your opponent,” he is saying, “It is about using their strength against them.”

I yawn, holding an ice pack to my face. Just for the cool sensation, though; Jungkook has never hit me on the face, and I doubt he would.

“Can’t we just go home now? It’s past eight and I still haven’t eaten a thing,” I whine, as Baekhyun drags me to the ring. “Wait, oppa, what are you doing?”

Baekhyun climbs into the ring. “I am going to whip you up into shape,” he tells me, and I groan.

“But I’m obviously going to lose!” I half-yell, “On a full stomach, I at least have a chance, but on an empty one? I’ll die.”

“Who told you to refuse Jungkook’s burgers, you ?”

“I am not receiving bribery,” I tell him, folding my arms defiantly.

“He was just being nice. You could have at least taken the burgers or something.”

“Nuh-uh. No way Jose.”

Baekhyun tugs me to my feet, not so roughly until he tore my arm off but strong enough to not make me sit back down in rebellion. “If we make any headway tonight I’ll take you anywhere you want and we’ll have dinner, okay?” he asks me.

I raise my eyebrow. “Even barbecue?” I ask sweetly, knowing how miserly he can be whenever spending is involved.

Baekhyun’s lips twitched confidently. “Of course. If you can impress me. Which I doubt, little sister.”

I aim a jab at his stomach, but move my hand at the last minute, confusing him. He dodges the feigned attack but not the real one, which I aim at his shoulder.

He frowns at me as I laugh. “Why don’t you do more of that?” he asks, as he slips into his wrestling gloves.

I crack my knuckles as I do the same. “Uh…because I’m just fooling around with you?” I tell him, “You always never check your blind spots.”

Baekhyun looks at me in surprise. “I don’t see you analysing Jungkook’s blind spots.”

As he says that, he aims for the right side of my body, where Jungkook always attacks me, and is surprised when I move out of the way.

I keep my eyes level with him. “I don’t want to waste my energy. I’ll be taken down anyway,” I tell him, “With you I’ll hold my own.”

I know I am capable of beating my opponent, but it’s just that, with Jungkook, I’d rather not attempt anything since he’s good at anything. Why waste effort when you know you’ll lose anyway? That is what I feel.

He’s too good. I can’t be as good, even with the extra training, and my brother knows it. I aim a sharp jab, which he ducks away in time, and I barely dodge his impending attack.

My brother presses his lips together. “So what you’re saying is you can beat me, your coach, but not Jungkook?”

I sighed. “You’re my brother. I’ve seen you in the ring since I was a baby. Of course I know how you move better and know your weaknesses,” I say.

He shakes his head, as if trying to wrap his mind around my logic. “I don’t understand you, Jihyun,” he tells me, deadpan, “I want you to do more of the feints, less resistance. You can’t be on the defensive every time.”

“Yes, Coach,” I sighed.

That night, Baekhyun brings me to the famous barbecue restaurant downtown in Hongdae, just for a treat. But I know he’s probably doing it out of sympathy for me, and I don’t resist milking the lavish treatment for all its worth.

“Tomorrow I want to see you try the new techniques we went through,” he tells me as I slurp a bowl of soju, “Don’t let me down, little sis.”

***

Today just so happens to be our monthly evaluation day, so that means all the different pairs will do two rounds in front of Baekhyun and he will see who needs the extra training and who deserves to be representing the fitness center for competitions. It’s tedious, but everyone wants to have the opportunity to get a medal or two, and here I am just trying to get by.

I’m doing some weight lifting when Jungkook enters the fitness center, all sporty in top to toe Adidas. His reflection stares at me as I lift the ten kilo weights, and just stares at me as I finish all my reps. In fact he is still there when I turn around, and he looks away when I look over at him.

I remember to bump into his shoulder as I pass, even though I know I will regret it later on.

I walk to the ring, tying my shoes tightly before climbing up onto it.

Baekhyun comes out of his office, clipboard in hand, as he takes attendance. When he is satisfied, he finally realizes I am in the ring. “You want to start first?” he asks in surprise.

“Yes,” I tell him, glancing at Jungkook and jerking my head for him to climb up. “Let’s get this over and down with.”

Oooooohhhh….” The other students say excitedly as he climbs into the ring.

“Be careful what you wish for,” Jungkook tells me, and I shrug.

He barrels towards me like lightning, and before I know it I’m already down on the floor, blinking up at his devastatingly handsome face.

Wait, what?

He swipes the hair away from his eyes. “Round one,” he taunts, and I glance sideways as my brother looks at me with a frown.

He’s impatient with me, I can tell. I get up again.

“Come on, is that the best you can do?” I mock in return, and Jungkook laughs.

He doesn’t sound irritated; he actually sounds amused.

This time when he speeds to me, I let him. But I don’t resist, and his body rocks.

“What the-“ he begins.

I use my momentum to twist my body – and him along with it, and when we fall this time, his body touches the floor first, with me landing on top of him with a thud. My glove is right next to his face, like a present warning not to turn his head, and his eyes dart to mine in shock.

It takes him a couple of seconds to realize the positions we were in, and he blinks up at me.

“Last round!” Baekhyun calls out, and I un-straddle his body and bounce on my feet. I am feeling lighter, and I cannot resist smiling.

Still a little dazed by the sudden attack, Jungkook regained his usual stance, and at the sound of the whistle, he charges forward.

Anticipating it, I crouch, before my arm springs out and catches him in the torso. He a breath and I take him down again.

My classmates let out sounds of frustration and pain and surprise as I look down at Jungkook with an expression of pure satisfaction.

Two rounds to one. I win.

I lower my face close to him.

“Is that the best you can do?” I whisper, and pin him for a further few seconds before getting off him.

Baekhyun subtly gives a thumbs up to me, scribbling something in his clipboard. “Next pair!” he calls out, “Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun!”

I slipped out of the ring, feeling slightly better with myself. Jungkook stares as I excuse myself to drink water, and I ignore him again, although I really want to shoot a smug grin his way.

 


 

This literally came out of nowhere. It's surprising because I was scrolling through Instagram and I chanced upon the idol Olympics and saw the video of Jungkook giving another idol a smackdown in Korean wrestling. 

Damn, he went hard.