Of Puppies and Men

t h e d a y i m e t y o u

 

 

Woman and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

-Robert A. Heinlein

 

 

 

"I'm coming, I'm coming!"

I opened my door to see an extremely worried-looking young man, no younger than twenty-five or twenty-six, standing outside on the porch.

“What?” I barked irritably. How dare you interrupt my Criminal Minds marathon, you-

I took in the glorious sight in front of me, eyelids fluttering.

-tall, dark, handsome stranger?

Said stranger scratched the back of his head nervously. “Are you the owner of,” he asked, so soft I had to crane my neck, “Uh…Munchkin? I mean…is your cat Munchkin?”

I frowned. “Yeah,” I replied, suspicious, “Why?”

A thought ran through my mind, sending me into a panic. I scanned the young man. He looked old enough to drive.

Did this guy just drove over my cat? I thought wildly. No way. No, no, no, no.

I grabbed onto his collar roughly, looking straight into his eyes, all my tough exterior forgotten as desperation filled my voice. “Why? Is she dead?” I cried shrilly, shaking him. “Where is she? Where is Munchkin?”

“Uh-“ he raised an index finger, but panic flooded me.

“MUNCHKIN!” I cried, letting go of him and scrambling down the porch steps to look at the open road in front of my house. I looked around right and left, seeing nothing but scattered dead leaves over the silent avenue. “MUNCHKIIIIIIIIIN!” I screamed, falling to my knees dramatically, feeling sobs build up in the back of my throat.

“Excuse me-“

I whipped around, and he flinched. He probably saw what was a wild-haired social hermit with a love for mismatched pyjamas and ketchup stains down her shirt, screaming for her missing cat at seven in the morning. She may or may not have dark eyebags from watching reruns the whole night.

A.k.a yours truly.

He stepped back as I approached him. “A-about your c-cat…” he said nervously, not looking at me.

I was practically growling when I stared him down. “What. About. My. Cat?”

“You see,” he began, “I was going to call you because-“

“Yeah?”

“Your cat…Munchkin-“

“Yes, I know what I named my cat.”

“It’s-“

“She. It is a she.”

“Uh, okay. She uh…she stole my dog’s toy.”

I blinked.

A few seconds passed.

Another couple of seconds passed.

I blinked again. “She stole your dog’s…toy?” I asked, frowning in confusion.

He bit his lip – rather attractively, I must say – and nodded. “Yeah, she spooked him,” he said, “I wanted to ask you to take it – I mean, her – back. She’s on the tree in my backyard and she won’t come down with it.”

“Oh,” I said inaudibly, “Okay.”

That was said with as much dignity that I had left.

He stuffed his hands into his pockets. “This way,” he said, walking away towards the house next to mine. Thoughts popped into my head like fireworks.

He lives next to me? How had I not seen this? Where have I been?

I stood outside his house, seeing no For Rent sign, which had been here for as long as I knew. I shut my eyes in resignation. “You stupid idiot,” I muttered to myself.

“What?” the young man asked, staring at me in shock.

My eyes widened, “Not you,” I cried defensively, pointing to my head frantically, jabbing my beehive hair, “Me!”

He stared at me for a second, looking at me like I was insane, before opening the door. His hand lingered on the doorknob, swallowing.

I wouldn’t let me enter if I were you too buddy, I thought.

He took off his shoes and stepped inside. “Uh, come in, please,” he said hesitantly, standing behind the door as I entered. Immediately I heard barks echoing through the house, and two little dogs the color of dark maple syrup crowded at my feet, sniffing my legs curiously. Their tails wagged behind them as I stood there awkwardly staring back at them.

I was never a dog person. Too loud, too clingy, too energetic. Hence why I got Munchkin. And to think that my new neighbour had two. What were the odds, I thought grimly.

The stranger – I still had no idea who he was – gently picked up one. “Monggu-yah,” he cooed at it, as I stared at him judgementally. He kissed the top of the dog’s curly head, and its beady eyes stared at me while it was indulged by its owner.

What a vain animal, I thought with a glare at the thing.

He put it back onto the floor, leading the way down the hall. “The backyard’s over this way,” he said, as the two dogs tailed him like, well...dogs.

As I followed behind, I spotted frames of posters. Was he some kind of EXO fanboy? Why the abundance of posters? Gosh, he must have some kind of obsession.

Where have I ended up?

He opened the screen door at the back, and I stepped out to see a neat backyard, with a high fence, trimmed carpet grass, a couple of hanging potted plants, and a tree in the middle of the yard.

I looked up, seeing a very lazy-looking grey cat, her paws like a boss, a plush toy under her body. I turned, seeing him go over to a kennel at the far end of the yard, where he was talking to a third dog, which was staring at the tree – and its current resident – with a cowed expression on its face.

“Your dog is afraid of cats?” I asked in disbelief.

He looked up, nodding. “Apparently so. He’s been hiding here since your cat climbed over the fence. He wouldn’t come out. Jjangah-yah, come out, please,” he said worriedly.

I scoffed.

They say pets are a reflection of the owner. If that’s true, Mr Handsome over here must be as pathetic as his scaredy dogs. I take back what I said about him being a god. Even if he's as bronzed as one.

Still shaking my head, I went to the tree. “Munchkin,” I called, “Come.”

The grey cat raised her head sleepily, seeing me. I reached into my pyjama pocket, taking out a treat.

Call it what you will, unhygienic, disgusting or whatever. You never know what emergency might warrant a treat.

I held it up. “Come,” I said again.

Come on, show these dogs who’s the better pet.

Munchkin stood up, stretching her lithe body. With the absence of her body, the toy fell to the ground with a squeak.

I suppressed a smug grin as my cat walked gracefully down the branches, hoping onto my shoulders as I popped the treat into her waiting mouth. She nuzzled my cheek lovingly, and I held her securely over my chest.

“Good kitty,” I murmured into her ear. She purred, vibrating in my arms. I looked at my neighbour. “Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try and keep her indoors,” I said with a nod, striding across the grass back to the house.

He quickly reached the door first, opening it for me, and I rolled my eyes as I walked inside. “I can open my own doors, thanks,” I said as an afterthought, as he rushed again, this time to the front door, opening it.

I slipped into my house slippers. “Have a good day, then,” I said curtly, about to turn away.

“Wait,” he said, reaching for my arm.

Munchkin hissed, baring her teeth at him, making him jerk back.

My eyebrows furrowed, hiding the fact that I was controlling my laughter. How entertaining. “She doesn’t like strangers, especially when they smell of other pets,” I explained, “And I’ve been single, so she’s just used to my smell.”

That sounds so very weird. I just told this guy who I've never met that I was single. Way to maintain a sense of security. 

He had a strange expression on his face. “Oh,” he said, pulling his hand back.

It was then that I noticed the red gashes across his forearms, and I felt a tinge of guilt. He must have tried to pick her up but failed. Number one rule: never pick up an agitated cat.

“Yes?” I asked him.

He looked at me. “Oh, I was going to say,” he said, pausing, “I’m planning to invite everyone to my housewarming party. As a neighbour to neighbour thing. Since we live next to each other…perhaps you would come?”

Wow. Party? That means free food. Well, why not?

“Sure,” I replied, “When and what time?”

“Tomorrow night. Eight in the evening.”

“’Kay.”

He extended a hand. “I’m Jongin, by the way,” he said, “Kim Jongin. But my friends call me Kai.”

I eyed his hand, eyeing the scratch marks again. “Yeji. Seol Yeji,” I said, shaking his hand, “But you can call me Yeji, because...I don’t really have friends who call me anything other than that." 

Now you say you have no friends. Great, Yeji. 

He released my hand, bowing formally. “Nice to meet you,” he said, as I watched, wondering if I should return it, which I did, although it was a little awkward with a heavy cat on my chest.

I straightened up, tucking my hair behind my ear. “You want some help with that hand?” I asked randomly, jerking my head to his hand, “Not that I’m doing it out of guilt or anything. Don’t get the wrong idea.”

“What? Oh, this?” he asked, “I’ll be fine. Thank you for your concern.”

I shook my head, flustered at both the rejection and the dismissive tone of voice. “I wasn’t concerned,” I blurted.

He gave a little smile. “Okay, then,” he said, and I could swear his eyes twinkled. “Goodbye.”

I nodded, still embarrassed as I walked down the steps and back to my house.

As I reached for my door, I glanced at his house, and realized he was still looking at me. But when he saw me noticing, he quickly rushed indoors.

I too practically dived into my house, shutting the door and locking, sliding down to the floor as I tossed my slippers aside.

“Kim Jongin,” I repeated to myself, “Where have I heard that before?”

I sat there for a few moments, wondering why in the world the name felt so familiar. I pouted, getting to my feet. A warm drink would suffice. Wake me up a bit. 

While I walked past down the hall to the kitchen, I remembered the EXO posters and smirked, thinking of my neighbor’s strange with a formerly popular boyband. And then I frowned.

I'm Jongin. But you can call me Kai.

And then it all struck me. The dogs. The posters. How he looked like a god.

Holy cow. I just met EXO’s lead dancer.

Munchkin had hopped off my arms and was now on one of the kitchen stools, looking at me while my hands paused over a cup of coffee. I met her green eyes.

“You have to get back there again,” I told her.

 

That afternoon…

This time when he rang the doorbell, I was more presentable. A plaid dress, black leggings, and a high ponytail that bounced just right. Not to mention the light look. I was even wearing heels. And I hate them with a loathing, because as everyone knows, some people just fall in them.

But he was way taller, and as women, we can’t let guys have all the fun of towering over someone else, right? We gotta step up, have an equal ground with them.

I opened the door, a hand fluttering to my lips. My surprised face would make Park Shin Hye pull her hair in jealousy.

“Oh, hello!” I told him cheerily, obviously taking out my car keys and jingling them for good effect, “I was heading to the supermarket. Why, do you need anything?”

He bit his lip, and I could feel him give me a once over. Satisfaction flooded me. Men were men after all.

“Sorry to disturb you,” he began, “But your cat’s in my backyard again.”

I sighed in frustration. “She went to your house again?” I asked in resignation, “Why would she do that?”

Don’t lie, Yeji. We all know you put her on the fence and toss a treat next door.

“I have no idea,” he said, “Maybe you could-“ He pointed to his house.

“Of course,” I said, “Let me just lock my door, yeah?” I stepped out, a little too close for him to make sure he had a whiff of my perfume, and slammed the door shut behind me, twisting the key. “Okay, let’s go.”

It was the first step that sent me sprawling right into his arms, but either he expected me to screw up, or he had good reflexes, because he managed to catch me with as much grace I had ever had the good fortune to experience.

I stared up at honey brown eyes. "Thanks," I said breathlessly, fanning my face for good effect, "Haven't worn these in a while."

As he was helping me up to my feet, his hand stayed on my waist, steadying me while I blubbered on the disadvantages of high heels.

Jongin's face was solemn and calm. “You know that I know that this is just a show, isn’t it?” he asked with a thoughtful tilt of his head, “You’re not really leaving for the supermarket dressed like you’re going for a date, right?”

My jaw clenched. “M-maybe my boyfriend’s meeting me at the supermarket,” I told him, as he gave me a lingering stare, turning away to go over to his house.

He opened his door, gesturing for me to enter, and when I did, he shut it with a finality that made me turn anxiously, looking at the way he met my gaze.

We merely looked at each other in silence for a few moments. “You don’t have a boyfriend, remember?” he said quietly, letting go of the doorknob, "You told me just this morning."

I failed to find a quick enough comeback for that, and we both knew he had caught me in a lie. He smirked, and I realized this was why he was labelled as one of the iest members of the group. Too bad they disbanded a couple of years back; he still looked good.

The sound of the door being locked echoed through the silent house, and in a matter of seconds, I felt the cold wall behind my back, his body too dangerously close to mine.

"Wh-what are you d-doing?" I stammered, shutting my eyes, my insides shrivelling as his arm reach over my body...

...to switch on the hallway light. 

I glanced at his hand on the switch, then back to him. 

"It's dark outside," he said conversationally, "The kids get scared easily when it rains and it's dark. Thunder, you see."

"Oh," I exhaled, releasing the pent-up breath I didn't realize I was holding."T-then I b-better g-get M-Munchkin. She hates water."

He shrugged. "But I don't really mind the bad weather," he added, not breaking our gazes, "I like it warm inside here."

Oh, do you, now.

Thunder boomed outside, making me jump, still squirming under his stare and the weight of his words.

He pulled away from me, and I breathed an inward sigh of relief. 

"I'll get her and be out of your place," I forced out, pushing myself from the wall and heading to the backyard, blushing furiously and feeling his eyes on me.

"You could stay for dinner," he called after me.

"No thanks!" I called back.

I have to get even with this guy, I thought to myself. One day in and he's already a tease. Let's see if I can repay in kind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I guess it's true what they say. When you Jong-in, you can’t Jong-out.

 

 

 

 

 

I thought it was high time I updated!

I follow a lot of prompt blogs on tumblr, and I found a list by writing-prompts-list which says:

'My cat just stole your dog's ball and went up the tree with it I'm not sorry why is your dog even afraid of cats.'

This helped me, and Kai came to mind, because why not? He's got three adorable kids, and I just go 'aww' when I see him interact with them. He's so gentle and that is pet owner goals right there.

Although I have cats, I am not like Yeji here XD Take her with a grain of salt, cause let's admit it, when we want to impress a guy we'd do all sorts of things HAHAHA speaking from experience. Have you done anything drastic to grab someone's attention? I've never had to, because I myself don't like to stoop too low for someone's affection. #sweg