23.

Now what?

HYUKJAE'S POV

 

It has been 3 weeks already since Donghae and I began our dating trial period of some sort. We have fallen steadily into the same pattern I had with Sungmin, not like that though, it’s just that because I'm a very busy person, we can only meet up on the weekends, but there is a huge difference in how we spend that time together compared to what Min and I used to do. Our relationship is progressing smoothly and I'm happy I gave us a chance because I feel we could really get somewhere. My feelings for him have developed so fast I'm almost scared. Almost.

 

But when I told my sister she said it was stupid. Shindong said it was expected and that he has always feared it. Junsu said he wanted to come and cuddle me when I acted insecure like that. Yesung said it was utterly idiotic to be afraid of falling in love and that he thought I was stronger than that. So I  shut those thoughts away and began planning our valentine's date, when I'll finally tell him I'm ready for a committed relationship. Wish me luck.

 

So I call him to let him know we have plans for this friday, because I can’t be sure that he planned to go out with me that day considering it a couple’s date and we’re not it just yet. I just don’t want to knock on his door and find him still in his PJs saying something like “Ohh, I’m sorry I didn’t know we had a date today, I know it’s valentines but we aren’t dating so...”

 

  • Hey, babyhae — I greet through the phone as I sneak a call while the trainees stretch.

  • Ummh, sorry, not your baby — answered a girl's voice, sounding slightly out of breath.

  • Oh! Sorry. Wrong number?

  • No. This is his phone but he's busy right now and can't take the call — the voice that I don’t recognize, answers

  • Oh… ok… can you tell him I called and to clear next Friday for me?

  • Sure. I'll t- Oh god! Yes, Hae! — Came some loud screams, well moans, from far away at the other side of the call, silencing whatever it is the girl was saying but I don't care anymore.

 

I don't want to draw the wrong conclusions. I really don’t. But honestly the breathiness of the girl's voice coupled with what I just heard isn’t making it easy. My only consolation is that there are 3 people there so it can be anything except what you’re thinking because no way in hell is Donghae in the middle of a … right?

 

  • Right there baby! Harder!

 

...

Right?

 

  • Exactly how busy is him? Pass him the call, please! — I insist to the girl who has been laughing through the whole ordeal, it calms me to some degree, if she’s laughing then it’s a prank… right?

  • That idiot — she says between chuckles and I believe she isn’t addressing me — Anyway, we just finished a dance practice and Donghae is giving him a massage because he got cramps but the idiot is making… you know, those noises — she clarifies and I can finally breath again, hitting myself because of course it couldn’t have been that. You’ve got to work on your trust issues, Hyuk.

Wait, hehehe, I just thought of something.

  • Do me a favor, girl, tell him it’s his boyfriend and that he heard everything, hint him that I am really pissed off — I told the girl.

  • Are you? — she asks, sounding worried.

  • No, just do it.

 

I wait as she talks to him and in a split second I can hear the phone being yanked from her grasp as a heavy breathing Donghae starts talking a mile a minute in a panicked tone.

 



DONGHAE'S POV

Oh god! Why the didn’t she tell me Hyukjae was on the phone!? Christ! He must have heard everything! Oh my god! He must be thinking I was having with some dude behind his back! I swear I’m about to cry right now! I can’t lose him, things were going so well! All for a stupid joke, I can’t believe this! He must be so mad!

 

  • Hyukjae! Listen to me: it’s not what it sounded like! I know that line is super clichè but it really isn’t what you think it is! I was giving him a massage and he started because he’s an ! We were practicing in his dance studio because I was planning to give you a surprise show on Valentine's! I swear it was all for you, there’s even Sooyoung here! She can testify, we weren’t doing anything! Hyukjae please forgive me, I did nothing wrong! Please don’t be mad, I’ll never hide anything from you again but ...God, please! Don’t leave me!

  • Hae… — he says softly,accompained by a little chuckle.

  • Hyukjae please, you have to believe an-

  • Baby, Hae... you need to breath.

  • ...What?

  • I know you didn’t do anything, It’s fine, we’re cool, I’m not mad. Now breath before you pass out — he tells me calmly and I take a deep breath in only to let it out in a sigh of relief.

 

It's alright… Now that I’m calmed and can actually take a minute to think about it, I realize I may have sounded desperate in my rant but that’s because I truly was desperate. It’s scary how far we’ve come in this non-relationship of ours that I’ll panic so badly at the thought of him being mad at me. It started off as a crush but in so little time it has turned into such a strong feeling that is completely out of my control. I wouldn’t call it love, I’m scared to call it love... but it is so much more than the simple “I like you” from all those weeks ago. I treasure you, I treasure you so much that the mere idea of losing you breaks my heart in a million pieces because we’ve been together for so little yet I don’t even remember what my life was before I met you, before I got to see you every weekend, how boring movies must have been all those years I was watching them without you, how different my clothes smelled without you wearing it, not getting your texts, your calls to always put a smile on my face…

 

I wish I could tell him all these, but I’m scared. I’m moving so fast on my own and I’m not sure if he feels the same, we are not even dating yet, what if he runs off in the opposite direction if he ever hears how deeply I feel for him?

 

  • Hey! You’ve been quiet for a while, everything all right? — he asks, taking me out of my reverie.

  • Yeah, Alright…

  • Ok, then I’ll leave you to practise that dance I’ll pretend I know nothing about — he says with a snicker, reminding me of how I ran my mouth a minute ago.

  • Oh God, I can’t believe I told you that.

 

“That was so stupid, I should have recorded it” Kai decides to interrupt. I wanted the performance to be really good so I came to a dance studio and this guy has been helping me with the choreography that I’m learning together with my friend Sooyoung; it’s a very artistic contemporary couple dance that she’ll perform with me. A bit anticlimactic but she’s a lesbian so all is fine, Hyuk shouldn’t mind.

 

  • Is that your friend? — Hyuk questions humorously and I laugh.

  • Not exactly my friend, just a guy from the studio I’m practising in — I explain, I don’t want him to think we know each other on a personal level, I’m not taking any risks.

  • Can I talk to him?

  • … what for? — I ask confusedly.

  • Just give him the phone.

 

 


KAI´S POV

 

God, that was too funny, he freaked out so bad I’m crying from laughing too hard. Simply precious.

 

“He wants to talk to you” Donghae tells me as he extends his arm with the phone in hand, which surprises me but I guess the boyfriend just wants to confirm my identity… maybe I’ll play another prank on these two.

 

  • Well hello, Donghae’s boytoy, it’s Kai, Donghae’s other boytoy — I whisper in a sultry voice, rejoicing in the way Donghae’s eyes pop out and he starts making Xs with his arms, signalling me to cut it out.

  • Well nice to meet you, Kai the voice answers just as illy as I did, putting emphasis on my name like trying to tell me something. It only takes a second for it to click in my head.

  • Holy ! Lee Hyukjae?! — I yell into the receiver while that deep voice that I love so much laughs and Donghae looks at me like I grew a second head.

  • The one and only. Jesus I knew I had heard those moans somewhere. Your ty doesn't change, does it? — he retorts, cocky as ever.

  • Well I'm flattered that to this day you still remember how my sounds like, I bet it haunts your wettest dreams — I bite back with a smirk that he can't see but is probably mirroring.

 

“Say what!?” Donghae yells in shock, probably very lost in the current conversation and rather put off by this turn of events. If these two are dating then I'd rather not be the one who has to explain us to him.

 

We could be classified as friends with benefits, except for the fact that we aren't really friends, more like frenemies who enjoy having together. Yeah, that sounds about right... lies.

 

We met a long time back when Hyuk was himself around. We hooked up and because he was such an amazing lay. Freaking power bottom. Then I took his number and kept calling him for whenever I got . He was my booty call but I wasn't his, since he didn't stop going around the clubs and ing everything that moves, he never called for me, had no need.

 

One day he suggested that I bottom for once, and by suggest what I really mean to say is that we were making out and he sneaked his finger into my , I initially protested but damn the guy knows what he's doing, I couldn't be coherent enough to stop him so I let him be. I ended up enjoying it more than I probably should have so we started trading places whenever we felt like it since we both loved either position. That made our  very adventurous and dynamic, coupled with a lot of other crazy we tried together. I could never get tired of him.

 

At one point I realized it was getting serious. I tried having flings on the side but it just didn't feel the same if it wasn't him, while he was still being a . When I noticed that his constant hook-ups began to bother me, I told him we should cut it off and we lost contact, I knew there was no relationship potential there so I just ran away before it got real. Before my feelings got real.

 

Hearing from him again is oddly gratifying. All those feelings I'm already over didn't resurface like you would expect then to. I honestly just want to see him again, know how he's doing, have a couple rounds and go back to my life like it isn't a big deal because it isn't.

 

But that's not gonna happen because… Kyungsoo. Oh! and Donghae too.

 

Such a waste. I really miss his , he's the only person I have ever bottomed for. I miss his too. His flat as a wall but very tight .

 

So sad. Let's not mull on it.

 

“Can someone explain to me, what the  is going on?!” Donghae interjected once more, red in the face.

 

  • Hyuk, we can talk later, right now you have an angry boyfriend to deal with. Bye — I said in a rush before passing the device back to a flustered Donghae and going over to talk to Sooyoung so that they can have some pseudo privacy.

 

“What was that all about?” Sooyoung asks as I approached her.

 

“Just some dude I used to with, you know, the usual” I joke off handedly with a shrug of my shoulders.

 

“Oh boy, you reuniting with former lovers is always bad news, remember Taemin?” she taunts, amused.

 

“Don't remind me” I groan because she's right. It may have been an innocent phone conversation but my boyfriend isn't the most tolerant. I do not want a repeat of the Taemin incident if Kyungsoo somehow finds out about this.