Chapter 2

The Spy's Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’ve got to be kidding me. A bodyguard?” She growled into the phone. Misun tapped her high heels impatiently as she leaned against her white Sedan. Fury built within her as the seconds ticked by. She glanced over her shoulder to check on Kyung, who was strapped into his booster seat waiting on her. Kyung was absorbed in his own world right now. He was currently playing with his Captain America action figure.

She blew her chocolate-colored hair out of her face while her grip on the phone tightened in aggravation.

“Misun, he’s there to protect you sweetie. I know you don’t want a bodyguard but you need him. I already warned him about your attitude. He’ll be able to handle it so don’t even think about trying to make him quit.” Jaesuk pinched the bridge of his nose wishing he told his daughter about this before Minseok took it upon himself to follow her. His suit was disheveled from previously running around his office trying to find files for a meeting later on tonight with important investors.

“Why would I do that, Appa? I would never do such a thing.” She giggled innocently. Misun never thought about it until he put the idea in her head. She can take care of Kyung and herself. She has a high-tech security system for her apartment. What else does she need?

 

“He’s my best bodyguard, Misun. You make him quit and you’re fired. I’m also going to be cutting off your allowance. Then let’s see if you can take care of Kyung and yourself all on your own.” Jaesuk threatened as he loosened his tie.

He was tired of his daughter messing up his plans. He just wanted to make sure she was safe and secure.

Misun’s jaw dropped and disbelief crossed her features. “Are you serious?” She croaked out, hoping the nervousness she felt wasn’t heard by her father.

“You know I don’t joke. This is for your own good. He’s going to be with you until we get these threats out of the way. Please bare with it sweetie.” Even after threatening her, he softened from the memory of how she was before Kyung was born. Misun never had to work for money, always getting enough from her allowance. He even bought her the apartment she’s currently residing in. Jaesuk always spoiled her. He doesn’t want to stop knowing she probably doesn’t have a clue on how to get a job that wasn’t in his own company. The world is a scary place and Jaesuk will continue to shelter her from it all.

“This is bull, Appa. I’ll let him do what he has to but I’m not promising I’ll go easy on him.” Misun compromised. She knows that she shouldn’t push her dad’s buttons but she just can’t have some random man following her around, “protecting” her.

“Please just watch out for anything dangerous. Minseok will protect you. Don’t worry sweetie. I have to go now.” He sighed while hanging up, not allowing Misun to give any sassy retort.

She shook her head, slipping the phone into her front pocket. She glanced over to her right and spotted Minseok leaning against the wall of the daycare building watching her every move. Minseok possessed plump cheeks and bright eyes. This combination gave him an aura of innocence. However, Misun knew better. Behind everyone’s facade, there is darkness lying within.

His eyebrow arched questioningly as her eyes continued to linger on him.

“I don’t want you to go easy on me in the first place sweetie. I love a challenge. By the way, were you just checking me out?” He smirked as he pushed off the wall and strolled towards her. His hands were in his front pockets, trying to act as nonchalant as possible.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes before shoving a hand out palm towards the man, signaling to Minseok that she didn’t want him coming any closer. He stopped a few centimeters from her dainty hand, raising an eyebrow at her childish behavior.

“Like I said to my dad, which I assume you already heard since you were eyeing me like a hawk, I’m allowing you to follow us around but that doesn’t mean you can come into my bubble, or Kyung’s.” Misun explained.

Minseok nodded his head signalling he will comply with her terms. He then his hand outward for her to shake. Misun laughed inwardly, deciding to play his little game. She rose her right hand and placed it into his, tightening her grip while shaking his hand. Minseok’s eyes trailed her up and down, his handshake firm and warm.

“My name is Kim Minseok. I already know who you are so no need for further introductions. I don’t start my job until tomorrow. I’ll see you then.” Minseok looked her up and down again, trying to release her grip. However, she tightened it, not allowing him to leave.

She still had some unfinished business.

“Next time you decide to kidnap Kyung, please do tell me.” Misun spoke calmly, but there was an underlying threatening tone in her voice. She gave him a small smile as she let go of his large and warm hand. Minseok smirked, nodding his head and walking across the street to the parking lot where his car was situated.

A huff of air left Misun’s lips. She then made her way to her own car. Upon sitting in the driver’s seat, she twisted her head around about to speak to her son. However, Kyung was fast asleep. A smile spread across Misun’s face as she eyed her adorable son. She then buckled her seatbelt and proceeded to start the car, driving off. She smiled softly at her son’s soft snores. ‘If only his father could see him now.’

 

Flashback

6 years ago

 

“Baby, what are you doing?” Misun’s fiance grinned at her, sneaking up from behind and laying his chin on her shoulder. He gave her shoulder a soft kiss. Her heart fluttered at his touch and she giggled before answering.

“I’m making the guest list. Does your father have to come? He’s only going to glare at me the entire time.” She glanced down at the list that was lying on the glass table. The front of the page was filled, but she didn’t know the majority of the guests. Her father gave her his own list of important businessmen that he wanted to invite. She complied with no complaints and wrote them down. The man on her shoulder could only laugh at her silly question.

“Of course he does. I love seeing your feisty side whenever he talks to you.” He turned his head to get a better angle and brushed her neck with his lips. She rolled her eyes and smiled to herself.

“Stop it. I need to get this done before my father starts yelling at me again. I put off the wedding planner as long as I could. He wants this to happen as soon as possible.”  He groaned in her ear, removing his hands and stepped back.

“Seems like he wants us to get married more than you do.” He faked his hurt voice, turning away and crossing his arms. Misun whipped around her head only to stare at his retreating back, feeling guilty for not giving her own fiancé enough attention. She pushed her chair back and got up. Misun approached her fiancé, wrapping her arms around his waist from behind and laid her cheek against his back. A sigh left her lips.

“If I didn’t want to get married, I wouldn't have said yes. I want this more than you think.” She rubbed her cheek against his back trying to display her love. He smiled to himself while turning around and embracing her from the front. His hands gently on her hips, his thumbs circling slowly. She gazed into his eyes and smiled. Her fiancé bent his head down and pressed his forehead against hers as her arms wrapped around his neck.

“I love you.” She whispered against his lips.

“I love you too, Misun.” He mumbled before joining his lips to her soft pink ones.

 

Present

 

Minseok sat in his car waiting for the call that came every Friday. He turned down the pop music blasting from the radio once he heard his second phone ringing. He gulped before reaching down to the left side of his seat to lower it so he isn’t spotted by any civilian. He took the phone from the glove compartment and flipped it open, pressing it against his ear.

“Baozi.” He stated. He has to use his code name every time he answers this phone. Mr. Chang has to know it’s him so he doesn’t say anything that could compromise the mission.

“Report.” Mr. Chang’s gruffly voice rang through Minseok’s phone.

“Jaesuk appointed me as his daughter’s bodyguard today. Four years. It was worth it though. He trusts me now.” Minseok chuckled darkly into his phone. In his left hand, he was twirling an orange er. Just waiting for the phone call to be over so he can devour it. His eyes softened a fraction while staring at the er, thinking of the little boy he was eating ice cream with thirty minutes ago. However, Mr. Chang’s voice brought him back to reality and his eyes hardened once again.

“What is your plan, Minseok?” Mr. Chang wanted this mission to be over with as soon as possible. “The Great Leader is becoming irritated. He wants those documents back.” Mr. Chang whispered, hoping not to get caught talking about the leader by other personnel walking about the Agency.

“I’m doing the best I can, it’s not easy gaining people’s trust. I’m going to gain her trust through her son. Once he likes me, I bet she will too.” Minseok really didn’t know what was going to happen. Misun was a tough nut to crack. She already slapped him for treating her son to ice cream. What else could she do? Whatever she does he knows he’ll be able to handle it. He has been through worse while training.

 

Flashback

18 years ago

 

The 9 year old boy stared up at the large building in front of him. He was told that he will eat, sleep, and train here. The other nineteen kids were surrounding him. Eyeing the building as it was some predator. Minseok wasn’t nervous though. He was determined. When he joined the Agency, the other kids bullied him for being chubbier than them. His father was a vice-president of the Presidium. The Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly is the highest organ of power in North Korea. It exercises legislative power when the SPA is in recess, which occurs during all but a few days of every year. He wasn’t poor like the rest of the country, he had money. His father could buy more food than other citizens. Minseok took advantage of this and ate more than he should have. His father was angry once he noticed Minseok gaining weight, so he forced him into the Agency to lose weight and make something of himself. He’d rather his son explore the world as a spy and be in danger every day, than earning little to nothing in this country.

“Minseok, watch where you’re going. We don’t want you to trip and roll down the hill.” The voice whispered in Minseok’s left ear. Minseok whipped his head around to glare at the boy who mocked his flabby belly. He was holding his stomach and bent over shaking, laughing his head off. Kim Jongin. The shining star of the agency. He’s expected to be the best spy of the bunch because of his athletic body and high stamina. He has an IQ of 140. Only at the age of 9. Minseok didn’t want to brag but his IQ was already at 150. None of the officials looked at him like he mattered though.

“Shut up, Jongin. I’ll be losing weight and gaining muscle here, and then you won’t be laughing when I kick your .”  Minseok rolled his eyes at the boy who was wiping away a tear. His blonde hair was disheveled from running his hands through it all day. His dark brown eyes sparkling from the small amount of tears within. His smile was huge. Showing the majority of his white teeth. He looked so carefree. Why couldn’t Minseok look like that?

“Alright Baozi. When we’re out of training, let’s see who is on top.” Jongin only laughed more before walking off to the trainers lined up in front of the main entrance of the building. Minseok was even more determined now. The feeling he will have when he is on top of the agencies almighty hope. They will all be surprised.

“You better hurry off Kim Minseok, you would not want to be late to your first day of training.” Minseok looked behind him to see a middle-aged man with light brown hair. He was only wearing sweat pants. He was very muscular for only being thirty-eight. The man noticed the little boy eyeing him up and down. “You can call me Mr. Chang. I will be your main trainer.” Minseok’s eyes shot up to Mr. Chang’s and stared at him in nervousness. He bit his lip and nodded. He was almost late to the first day of training and got caught by his trainer.

Mr. Chang gave a tiny smile before walking towards the other trainers, ushering Minseok to follow him on the way. Minseok did as told and followed him to the group of kids who were all staring at the shirtless trainers ahead of them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter