Anyone But You

Rilakkuma Problems

1:00 ‘clock.

It’s around this time that Baekhyun makes his way to the café. Shoulder bag in hand, dressed in his black jeans and matching collar shirt. His work apron tucked safely inside with his text books, since he goes to work right after classes are done.

Baekhyun usually looks forward for another day at the coffee shop. Whether he’s in charge of the pastries that day or just working tables. Maybe it’s because he hopes of opening his own shop. A bakery where he can make all the sweets and desserts his heart desires. Nothing’s better than a day at the coffee shop after making use of skills in culinary class. 

Except today he has to work alongside Park Chanyeol.

And here I was having a good day. He thinks to himself sighing for the tenth time since making his way to the shop.

He sees the entrance to the café as he walks down the block and it takes all his willpower to stop himself from turning back home and calling in sick. With whatever force he has left in him he opens the door and walks inside.

“Baekhyun! Mr. Park is in the back.” Minseok says, greeting him with a chirpy smile as he makes his way towards a table. Baekhyun nods and returns the gesture, his smile slipping off as he turns around and walks towards the back of the café where it leads to new extension.

The room was bare. The walls had been stripped and torn down leaving only the wooden structure underneath it. Even with all the nailed pieces of wood there were still empty gaps in which light would pass through. Giving the room a glowing atmosphere.

 “Hey Byun.” Chanyeol says as he looks up from his work, standing to his full size as he turns to face the shorter male.  “Hello.” He replies, he’d opt for not saying anything at all but working with Chanyeol was unavoidable so he might as well start on a good note.                                                                             “So, what exactly am I supposed to help you with?” Baekhyun asks eyeing the materials laid out on the table; blueprints, pencils, pens, ruler, flashlight, measuring tape. “Well I have some of the sketches, survey buildings, and plans that need organizing. Just tedious little things like that but mostly relaying some information to Mr. Kim regarding a few things, giving him updates. It’s not that hard.” 

Baekhyun nods placing his bag on one of the seats, turning to look at the multiple folders with what he believes to be all those sketches.“Your boss wants to keep the café open during renovations so it’s best to have all the last minute measurements and things cleared up before everything is finalized.” Chanyeol continues to say.

“Okay come on.” He says grabbing the measuring tape. Baekhyun follows behind. They begin to measure the height and width of the walls and doors, Chanyeol writing down the measurements as Baekhyun says them out loud. Once that’s done Chanyeol lays out one of the blueprints and begins making alterations to it as Baekhyun organizes the papers into folders. After a few minutes of just working the taller decides to break some of the awkward tension.

“Hey, Byun are you still in school?”

Baekhyun just nods, not taking his eyes off from the papers he’s busy organizing and replies, ”Yes, I’m studying at the art school not far from here, doing culinary.”

“I guess you can cook at least.”

“Excuse me but I have a list of great qualities. I’m cute, I have an amazing voice, I can cook. I’m practically boyfriend material!”

Chanyeol shakes hi head, “Your annoying, loud, you like to hit people, and like to get peoples things stolen.”

Baekhyun pouts and lashes out at the taller who hisses, “See! You hit me again!”

“I don’t hit people! Only you and that’s because you get on my nerves! How many times have I told you the milkshake incident was an accident!”

The taller goes back to the table and takes out more loose sketches and another blueprint out of his portfolio, “Ah…well I can’t say I’m surprised. You work at a café, and you seem to enjoy your job more than someone who’s doing it for some cash.”

Taken aback Baekhyun stays silent for a few seconds, Is that a compliment?

This is the first thing the other has said that hasn’t lead to another argument. “Hmph, well I’m pretty good at it. I make most of the pastries here at the café.” He replies, playing with the measuring tape in his hands.

“No wonder, they don’t look that appetizing.” Chanyeol teases sticking his tongue out.

“Yah! Just so you know everyone likes them! Besides I don’t want you to eat them anyway.” Baekhyun frowns, almost tempted to throw the measuring tape to the giants head.

“Hm, honestly who would’ve thought you’d be an architect.” He shoots back.

Chanyeol laughs, “I know right? I’m too handsome, should’ve been a model.”

“No, you look too much of a giant clutz.”

“And here I thought we were getting along.”

“In your dreams Park.” Baekhyun says with a mockingly sweet smile.

 


Chanyeol re-reads the flyer in his hand for the fifth time already. He remembers when the cashier Baekhyun was talking to had given it to him a few days ago. Immediately he knew he was going to enter the contest and make sure he’d win. But there was a catch. He was hoping he read the flyer wrong, maybe catch a typo, or see if there are any exclusions for the contest.

Once again he groaned, he needed a partner for the contest. And he no one in his group of circles would fit the bill. He had reached out to more than half of his friends but was rejected. Some had plans, others not interested, and the rest wouldn’t care less. Which is why he had one last person in mind. He knows he wouldn’t crack easily so Chanyeol made sure to butter him up with a few gifts beforehand.

After running around the mall Chanyeol bought Jongin a new outfit from the SPAO store, he even bought dog toys and clothes for Jongin’s three babies. His wallet was crying right about now, and he hopes that his friend will be willing to be his partner otherwise his sacrifice would be in vain. Soon enough they find themselves sitting in one of the booths eating fried chicken.

Chanyeol sips some of his soda as Jongin bites into his fifth piece of chicken, trying to play it as casual as possible, “Jongin, you know chicks love cute things. And they’d think a guy that’s into that is sweet and sensitive right?”

“I guess?” the younger says as he moves on to his next piece of chicken.

“Yeah they do. So hear me out there’s this Rilakkuma contest and I need a partner. This’ll be a win win situation for us if you help me out. We enter and win pus you’ll be able to talk to lots of cute girls and seem like a one of a kind guy. You’ll boost your popularity by 100 points. Help a bro out?” Chanyeol exclaims, at this point sounding desperate.

Kai raises an eyebrow at his so called hyung, “Really?”

“Yeah I know as if you need it.” The taller sighed.
Jongin nods and wipes his hands with a napkin before grabbing his drink, “Hey how about ask your new friend. He’s pretty cute.”

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asks incredously.

 “Well seeing as he practically works for the place your remodeling you’ll see him more often. Make use of it and team up. You two practically love cute things so why not.”

He does make a good point. Chanyeol thinks to himself. But then again he thinks about having to deal with the sassy waiter and most likely get hit in the process. There was also the chance that Baekhyun might have a partner. Even if he didn’t he would refuse to work with him and just look like an idiot. No, he couldn’t ask him. He’d just have to find help elsewhere.

“The last person I want to work with is that shorty.” Chanyeol sneers, his nose scrunching up at the thought of the petite male.

Jongin shrugs, “Hey now, desperate times come for desperate measures. Besides he doesn’t seem that bad.”

“Agh, don’t get me started.”

 


“Lulu please! We’re the aegyo team. Our charms are irresistible, I know we can win if we put our heart and cuteness into it!” the dark haired boy begs with puppy eyes at his hyung.

“Sorry Baekhyun. I need to finish preparing my portfolio.” He says giving him an apologetic smile.

“I can help you!” the younger says grabbing the other’s arm. “Pleaaase hyuuung. I need you.”

“Baekkie, it’s my last year and I have to focus on this.” Luhan says pinching Baekhyun’s cheek. He nods,“Ah, no I’m sorry. This is really important for you. I know you’ll do just fine. It is you after all.”

Luhan laughs, readjusting the folders in his arms, “Thanks. Don’t worry though, I’m sure you’ll find someone to be your partner. You said it yourself who can resist our charms.”

“I hope so. I’m just worried that I wont be able to find one on time. The contest has a lot of requirements and stuff.” Baekhyun sighs. “Oh! I should head back to my next class. You should too before Kyungsoo chops your head off for being late again!” With that the pink haired man gives Baekhyun a peck on the cheek before making his way to class. “See you later Baekkie!”

“Bye Lulu! Let me know if Sehun mistreats you!” he says sending him a small heart. Luhan turns to him and waves with a wink before he makes his way up the stairs.

 He was back to square one.

His first option was Luhan but now that was out of the question. There were only so little options that he had left. Kyungsoo was a no. There isn’t a need to ask him. He already nags on how much time Baekhyun spends on his collection and browsing sites for any new merchandise when he could be studying and making more things to enhance his pastry career. As for Sehun, he wouldn’t be caught dead going to such a thing as kawaii con. He’d only go for his boyfriend.

There was really no one else outside of his circle of friends he could go to. Maybe one of his classmates would be willing. A girl would be easier to recruit at least but he wasn’t that close and some may not have time either.  

There was Krystal, an acquaintance he met through Luhan since she’s in the Fashion department with him. Irene was in his class, they’ve talked a few times and last time he saw her with a rilakkuma phone strap. Which he remembers complimenting her on. Yoona and Seohyun were some of Sehun’s friends he’s chatted with before. He shakes his head, he’d be more comfortable working with someone he already knew. Someone that was as much of a fan as him…maybe there was only one person he knew which might possibly go.

 


Baekhyun made his way over to the store during his lunch hour in hopes that Heechul would be there. And to his luck Heechul was on his shift, like always reading a new manga flipping pages one after the other. 

"Hyung! I need a partner and your'e the only one I can go to. Enter the contest with me." he pouts, batting his eyelashes at the man.                                        At this point Baekhyun is desperate for a partner and he'll pull off all of his tricks in order to get Heechul to agree. 

"Hyuuung please!” Baekhyun pleads, clasping the others' hand as he leans in closer. He notices the slight blush on Heechul's cheeks and knows he almost has him. 

With his free hand the cashier taps his fingers along the table and looks down at the puppy eyed boy. “Baekhyun even though you’re my favorite adorable dongsaeng...” he starts and pauses as Baekhyun squeezes his hands, “You know I’m busy here at work and its technically not fair I already gave you a head start  by giving you the flyer before the release date. That’s all I can do.”

“W-what if I buy you a new Asuka body pillow?” he tries to bargain and sees how Heechul pauses to think about it. “Hmm, tempting really tempting. But alas I’ll have to decline.” 

"Even if you got me the new collection of Evangelion figurines I can't. Well okay maybe but still those are expensive and I doubt you'd be able to get them." he says patting Baekhyun on the back. 

There's no one else left to ask and Baekhyun frowns, “But hyung I don’t have anybody else to go to... you’re my last hope.”

Heechul sighs and looks away. Feeling slightly guilty he wont be able to help Baekhyun. Trying to look anywhere else, his eyes glance to the door, “I think your last hope just walked in.”

Baekhyun givea him a confused look and turns to see none other that the giant rilakkuma thief, Park Chanyeol. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

A/N:

Omg I'm so sorry this chapter is so overdue! I haven't felt that inspired but I forced myself to get through his chapter and I made it longer since I felt bad I haven't updated in forever. I'm still planning out the rest of the chapters for this fic so I won't be able to update as often as I'd like. (I have most of the next chapter written at least) I do have a few ideas for a oneshot so I may upload that just to have something up. 

Well asl always thanks for reading. I'd love to hear some feedback. Is it going to fast? To slow? Boring so far lols. Idk (>A<)"