2/6

Gap

 

“Where do you want to go today?”

Donghae could never get rid of the small jolt of fear whenever the other took his eyes off the road, just so he could stare at the brunette next to him. He’d scolded him so many times before, but the man of course never listened- instead his eyes latched themselves onto the younger, this time past a few strands of black fringe that escaped from his hair gel.

“Stop looking at me and concentrate on driving! I know you’re good at driving, no need to show off.” His words were reprimanding yet his fingers were soft as they brushed the stray locks of hair out of his face, lingering on the sharp angle of his chin for a fleeting second.

The corner of the elder’s lips stretched upwards, and he reached out to grab the wrist before it retracted. He brought it close to his mouth- so close that Donghae could feel ghosts of cold breath dancing across his fingers- and imprinted a chaste kiss on the veiny hand. “Why don’t we go to the amusement park. There’s a new feature there that just came out, and it’s been a while since we last went.”

Donghae was completely relaxed in his seat. Although his hand was still grabbed tightly in the other’s lap, at least Eunhyuk’s eyes were where they should be now. “Yes! But… I didn’t bring a jacket with me today, or else it would be the perfect date.”

The driver chuckled, “You put a spare jacket in the back, remember? Last time this happened on our first date, you didn’t want to get embarrassed in front of me, so you said you weren’t cold. Then you got sick and I was the one who had to look after you for a whole week. I still remember how whiny you were when your temperature got too high.” His tightened his fingers in order to stop the hand in his hold moving, most likely downward to pinch him so he’d stop talking. “…Anyways, then you felt so guilty that you put a spare jacket in the back of the car- which, by the way, has been there for months and I can’t believe I haven’t thrown it away yet with how disgusting it must be- in preparation for accidents like today.

Donghae wanted to pull his hand out, but resisted the urge because it wasn’t often that Eunhyuk talked so much. Every day he was so busy with work that on days like today, when he’d take the whole day off just for Donghae, he was allowed to find his usually lacked amusement (even if Donghae was the one suffering on the other end).

“It’s not disgusting, because I folded it neatly and put it in a bag so it wouldn’t get dirty. But do you remember, after that time, you said you had figured out when I was lying and were bragging that you could always tell it in the future?”

“Well it’s not bragging if it’s true.” Donghae pretended to look outside the window and smiled. Yes, he’s falling for it, he thought.

“No it’s not. I just lied a few minutes ago, and you couldn’t even tell.” There was a hint of a pout in his voice and Eunhyuk’s heart softened uncontrollably at the teasing tone.

“I’ll have to apologize later then won’t I? So what was it that I missed?” He couldn’t believe that he, a twenty seven year old executive of a substantially successful company, was playing along so naturally with the younger’s childishness. Even more, he couldn’t believe how he was not used to this already, with how many times it had happened.

“I said that, if I had a jacket, then it would be the perfect date.”

“…

“……”

“And?”

Donghae faked an exaggerated sigh. “You would think that the CEO of Lee Enterprises, one of the biggest companies in the country, was smart! But no, it’s all an act! He has been pretending all these years!”

“… very funny, Donghae. Now be serious. Tell me.” Even though he couldn’t see the older man’s eyes, he was sure they just rolled at him. But he didn’t care. He outsmarted his boyfriend. Donghae smiled triumphantly with a full row of teeth.

“I lied, because……”

Eunhyuk was fully prepared for whatever nonsense the other could come up with, thinking he was experienced with his antics already. But as much as he tried, he still couldn’t have prepared his heart from feeling like it would melt on the spot, hearing the rest of the unquestionably sincere line.

“… as long as I am with you, the date would be perfect.”

 

**

 

It was not the first time he had declined Donghae’s offer to stay the night. Similarly, he had never asked the younger for anything more than kisses. Eunhyuk knew he loved him- that was a certainty- but love made one more precautious, more afraid, and Eunhyuk would not risk even the tiniest thing when it came to his boyfriend.

He checked his phone while dropping down onto the sofa. For some weird reason, the tight leather below was something he could never get used to; he would much rather relax into a spongy softness. But he had to keep up appearances when clients came to visit, just like how he had to keep up his “perfect” image to anyone who didn’t know about his fights with his family.

His eyebrows locked together upon reading the usual texts from his father, going over the hundred reasons of why he should marry the daughter of the CEO from their partner company; not a single one of them proved valid. This time though, there was something else that was like the last straw that landed on him, tipping him over the edge of the cliff he had tried so desperately to hold onto.

“Eunhyuk, how many times do I have to remind you? You can have your flings with that boy and whoever else you’d like. I know you’re still young and you might like to experiment, but you must settle down soon with a proper marriage. Our stocks are already at risk, and today one of my clients was telling me they saw you with that boyfriend of yours at an amusement park! Do you know how damaging this is to the company’s image? I told them that you were overseas the whole day today so it can’t have been you, but the same excuses won’t work again next time. As your father, I am pleading you- think about your future, and not just short-term pleasure.”

If this was the first, or even the hundredth time that this had happened, Eunhyuk would brush it off just like before, telling him that this is not a ‘fling’ or an ‘experiment’, he doesn’t have to marry that girl for a ‘proper marriage’, and he is always thinking about his future- the future with him and Donghae together.

But the truth was that it wasn’t, and from day one, there had been nothing but oppositions from almost everyone around them. It was funny, actually, seeing the groups and groups of people who started to avoid him, because they thought thatbeing with Donghae would only lead to his failure so there was no ‘use’ to be around Eunhyuk anymore. The only ones that had remained were not many in number, and even they were skeptical about them.

If only Eunhyuk wasn’t in such a position that demanded that exact, perfect image. If only he was not born into this status.

After releasing his tightly clenched fists and taking a deep breath, he made up his mind and dialed a number.

 

**

 

“Sungmin, I don’t know what to do anymore. Please, please, you have to help me. You’re the one I trust the most. You have to help me. Only you can help me.” There were already countless bottles in front of the dark haired man, who was once again leaning across the table, a layer of desperation glazed over his eyes.

He actually wanted to cry too, looking at the distressed state of his best friend. Why was it that there was no end to suffering? No matter what situation you were in, even if you were born into a wealthy, happy family like Eunhyuk, he still faced as many (if not even more) hardships as anyone else. Sungmin wanted to help him. He really did. But he also knew how hard it would be if his plan indeed worked out.

“Eunhyuk, do you remember that thing I told you about a few weeks ago?”

“Min, you’re not suggesting….” He looked shocked.

“Eunhyuk-ah, sometimes, we have to give up some things in order to achieve others. Have you forgotten?”

“But Min, there are some things I can’t give up. I don’t want to. I don’t know how to.”

“What about his happiness? Do you not even care about Donghae’s happiness anymore?” He didn’t know why he was trying to persuade Eunhyuk. This is was not what Sungmin wanted. However he knew that Donghae’s happiness would make Eunhyuk happy too, so there was really nothing else he should’ve done.

“Min, I…. I can’t.”

He sighed. “At least try, ok?”

The black haired man lifted his head. There was a battle going on in his mind- he struggled against the two parts inside himself, until one side admitted defeat and the other side dreaded its victory. He nodded once.

He would give up anything for Donghae’s happiness.