6/6

Gap

A/N: thank you to everyone who commented... I didn't know how to reply you guys without spoiling the plot, so I didn't reply, haha. it was really fun seeing all your guesses, and well done to EunHae24 and sishasy who got it correct!

 

 

 

 


 

The snow continued to fall silently through the emptiness between dried leaves as the last flame in the fireplace quivered, then snuffed out. Without any more firewood being added, it was natural that the soft sizzle died down, settling the oversized living room of the mansion into a comfortable silence at two in the morning, when everyone was sleeping.

Or so the fire thought, because soon it was caught in surprise from soft thuds on the dark wooden floor, hoping that the owner wouldn’t blame it for not doing its job when the warmth was clearly needed.

But the dark haired man didn’t seem to notice. He only pulled out a half-empty bottle of wine from the wine rack as quietly as possible in the moon-lit darkness, pouring himself a full glass, as if he didn’t know that the price of the blood red liquid was enough to feed an average family of three for a year. It wasn’t like he could do anything about gifts like these luxuries except for drinking them- an activity that was becoming a habit for him these few years in the middle of the night.

The coolness had only touched his lips when he heard someone stirring in a room down the hallway. Whether it was his wife or daughter, he had an explanation ready if either of them saw him like this. However nothing ensued after a dreamy mutter of “Yes, tacos.” floated though the silent house, and Eunhyuk leaned back on the wooden chair to continue with his drink.

It was getting harder for him to sleep at night. He did not have insomnia- it was probably just the stress of work piling up. Yet for some unknown reason those memories kept coming back to him, coming back to haunt him.

 

**

 

“Eunhyuk-ah, I have an idea, but it’s… ahh nevermind.”

“Sungmin, do you want me to strangle it out of you or do you want to say it yourself now?”

“You’d probably want to strangle me after I say it, anyways.”

“What was that?”

“N- nothing. Ok, before you accuse me of watching too many dramas again,” Sungmin pouted at the memory “just listen to this carefully and, I don’t know, think about it, I guess?”

“So you want me to strangle it out."

“Wait! Patience! Jeez, Eunhyuk. So anyways, you know about that boy who had a crush on Dong… stop glaring at me! This is a fact! It’s not my fault that your boyfriend’s so attractive… you know, your expression changes will one day definitely give me a heart attack. Anyways, that boy recently just got into an accident with one of our workers, and I heard it was pretty bad. This got me thinking, though, and I think I’ve found the perfect solution. You keep on complaining about your relationship and your family and how it’s never going to work out, so I thought… what if… what if you look at it from another direction? What if, you’re not the main lead- you’re just a supporting role? Imagine this- the protagonist of the century, giving up his love for the future of his beloved, helping him get together with someone who can give him the love he wants… I’m tearing up just thinking about it.”

“This is not some angsty Korean drama, Min. Now stop messing up my head with all these overdramatic drama plots and say what you mean exactly.”

“You’re just too unappreciative to understand what a great director I am. I so should have taken a major in directing angsty Korean dramas... Ok, ok, I’m getting to it. So that crusher boy- wow that sounds like some KFC drink- so crusher boy is injured pretty badly, you can’t even recognize him. But our worker didn’t have to pay for any plastic surgery expenses, so I guess he’s doing ok at staying alive. You’re getting pressure from your family about marriage and to be honest I don’t see how Donghae fits into the picture, but what if, you let him take care of Donghae? What if you tricked Donghae into believing that crusher boy was you, so he’d let you go more easily, and in the end they can live happily ever after.”

“Stop grinning so stupidly. Even if I were to let Donghae go, which I never would, I still don’t see how he’d be blind enough to believe that somebody else was me. And didn’t you say they couldn’t even be recognized? They aren’t getting plastic surgery- which I’m sure they don’t have money for anyways, those overpriced services can only be afforded by someone like…”

Eunhyuk’s eyes widened as everything finally clicked into place.

“…me.”

 

**

 

His neck arched backward gracefully as the last drop slid down the cold surface and into his throat. If there had been someone else present, they would have marveled at the beauty of his outline in the dark- mysterious yet somehow fragile- and perhaps even ask why he did not hesitate before pouring himself another full glass.

But there wasn’t anyone there.

 

**

 

“Min, have you really thought through all the details about this?”

“Yes, of course I have! What kind of a director do you think I am? The type that doesn’t care about realism and just fits the plot around the drama?”

“… Min, I’m serious.”

“Sorry. But yeah, I’ve talked a little with the boy and even his parents, and they all seem to have nothing against it. I haven’t left any evidence so they wouldn’t have anything on us even if you don’t decide to go through with it, though.”

“I… I trust you, Min. I’ve thought a lot about this and… you were right. I don’t see any other way.”

“Hey, Eunhyuk, don’t be like this. Where’s the confident Eunhyuk I used to know, who could overcome anything in the world and let nothing stop him?”

“Don’t you dare, Sungmin. You were the one who suggested it to me and… even though in the end it’s my decision, I’ll admit that. But you don’t know how hard it was for me just to tell him no to this pet he wanted. I don’t know if I can take it when I have to let even more of him go. So, Sungmin, don’t you dare make me question what I’m doing even further because I… I really think I’ll just give up on everything and run away with him when I can’t control myself any longer.”

“I’m sorry, Eunhyuk. I won’t joke about it again. I… is there anything else I can do?”

“I don’t want him to have any way of reaching me after we… break up. I’ll take care of my sister and our other friends. Can you do something about his father?”

“Sure. Should I move him to another location?”

“That’s fine. But make it reasonable… give him a promotion or something.”

“Ok.”

 

**

 

The bottle was tilted vertically, and shaken up and down a few times, before he finally accepted the fact that there was none left. His fingers tightened on the wine glass, knuckles turning white while hidden in the darkness. A sliver of moonlight that escaped through the clouds and somehow crept into the room exposed its presence, as it produced an accidental gleam against the silver band on the man’s fourth finger.

He twisted the loose circle around his skin, before sliding it off and holding it up to examine the highly-expensive object.

Because that’s all it was to him- an object.

 

**

 

“How was the surgery?”

“It… it went well. I… thank you so much for paying this for me. I really don’t know how to thank you.”

“I hope you don’t mind your new face. Sungmin has already explained everything to you?”

“Yes…”

“Then you should know that you don’t need to thank me for anything. I didn’t pay it for free.”

“I understand. Sungmin ssi only gave me vague instructions, though, so is there anything specific I should do or be aware of?

“I will send some things to you later on. It might help you to be a better…” He couldn’t finish the sentence. “There are some things he often does, such as forgetting his wallet in the middle of the night, so just be prepared if anything like that happens.”

“Ok.”

“If you have anything urgent, you know my number.”

“Um… one last thing- do you think I should approach him first, or…”

“Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. He likes to be by himself when he’s upset, and… he’s likely to be upset tomorrow. There’s a large chance he’ll be at school early, so you can try make yourself known without causing a disruption with other people around. But don’t reveal anything though, you should know all of that already.”

“I do. I will go early tomorrow, then.”

“Ok. … Good luck, Lee Hyukjae.”

“Thank you, Mr. Lee.”

 

**

 

He put the band back around his finger, and dragged himself out of the chair. He didn’t want to go back to the bed, where there currently lay another person, who thought he didn’t know what she was doing. She was too inexperienced- way too inexperienced compared to him- and made the mistake of trusting someone who was actually secretly loyal to him. Her plans of stealing his part-ownership of the company were indeed flawless, and she might have even come out clean if it weren’t for this mistake. He might have been able to defeat her without dragging her family’s company in and ending all their careers, but now there wasn’t any other option. Outsiders might feel sympathy for marrying such a backstabbing wife, but Eunhyuk actually didn’t mind it. All these “games” gave him something to do, and took his mind off other, much more painful memories.

The only thing he was worried about was how their eight-year-old daughter would take the divorce.

 

**

 

“You did well. How’s your ankle?”

“Bruised pretty bad, but it was worth it. After all, did you see the look on his face? I bet he never thought this was the ‘welcome’ he’d get, haha.”

“Hey, talk like that one more time and I’ll make sure you’re never hired again in your life.”

“…”

“Eunhyuk ssi, forgive me for asking, but can I do anything of assistance? It was already quite confusing for me when you just stood back and not even help the injured lady up, even though now I see that she was probably paid by you to act like that. I have been a manager of the company’s public events even before you were born. I’ve watched you grow up, and not even once have you been this angry in front of me. What is troubling you?”

“I… It doesn’t matter. I know you’re worried about me, and I appreciate that, but there’s nothing you need to know. Can you just… get her out of my sight and…. let me be alone for a while.”

“As you wish, Mr. Lee. I just want you to remember that if you are feeling like you have reached the bottom, it only means that things will get better.”

“Thank you. Now if you could just excuse me…”

 

**

 

His head spun lightly as he convinced himself that he wasn’t drunk. The thuds he made on the floor became heavier and heavier, until he reached the spare room and sat down at the end of the large bed. Fumbling in the darkness, he reached underneath and lifted up a piece of the wood, dust sprinkling around the hole in the floor. His long, pale fingers searched briefly, before pulling out his old phone that he had kept after all these years.

 

**

 

“Hello, Eunhyuk speaking.”

“Mr. Lee, this is reception. You told me to contact you if a person named Lee Donghae came up to us…”

“When did he come? What did he say? Where is he now?”

“Um… he asked to see you, and I told him that he could not enter as per your instructions. He’s still here, actually. Just beside the main doors. He’s talking to someone on his cellphone.”

“He’s… here? Right now? …”

“Is that a question or…”

“Can you hear what he’s saying?”

“He’s too far away for me to hear anything, but he’s frowning and…… he just ended the call. Wait, is he…”

“Is he what? What’s happening?”

“I think he’s… either crying or about to cry. He’s leaving now. … Ok, he’s gone. Would you like me to say something to him or…”

“No, it’s ok. Tell me if he comes again.”

“Yes, Mr. Lee.”

 

 

“Where are you right now?”

“What? I’m outside… why?”

“D- he’s pretty upset at the moment. Do you think you can come and comfort him?”

"Ok... where is he?"

"I'm not sure exactly where. Are you close to Gangnam-gu right now?"

“Yes, there’s really not many places us students can go to without having a car.”

“Can you come to 106 Cheongdam-dong quickly?" 

"That's just one bus stop away. Oh, one's coming right now... I can get there in five. But how do I find him? I doubt he’ll pick up his phone since as you said, he likes to be alone when he’s sad."

"Hurry and you should find him outside around these streets. Remember, don’t let him know anything about you and me.”

“Ok, ok, I’m on my way. Do you know why he’s upset?”

“Just get here quickly. I don’t want him to catch a cold from crying in the wind.”

“What should I say if he asks me how I found him?”

“Anything! You’re really not so great at making up excuses are you? Say you were walking by and saw him. Coincidences happen.”

“That sounds… oh well, I can’t come up with anything better.”

“….”

“….”

“….”

“Why are you not hanging up?”

“Why are you not hanging up?”

“I thought… you might have more things to tell me.”

“… I don’t. Where are you now?”

“I just got off the bus and I’m on this street. I can’t see him anywhere, though.”

“He won’t be in any shops, he doesn’t like being around people and showing this side of himself to others. Look around, he should be there. He has to be…”

“I don't see…… I found him.”

“How is he, Hyukjae?”

“He’s crying.”

 

**

 

He shook his head and focused on the screen, momentarily blinded from the sudden brightness as it was switched on. There was only one person left in the contacts list. One message box left undeleted. He opened it, scrolling through the countless number of message received, uninterrupted by the nonexistent number of message sent by himself. A tear escaped down his right cheek and he was held in a trance- by the person who had stopped sending messages since ten years ago, that he could not escape because his heart had also been given away ten years ago.

 

**

 

“He said yes. He said yes! I can’t believe it! He said yes!!”

“And just why are you telling me this?”

“I’m so happy! Eunhyuk, he agreed to be my boyfriend!”

“Hooray. I am also jumping in excitement.”

“I’m sorry, I thought you’d want to hear this. After all, isn’t this what you’ve been aiming to do all this time?”

“Hyukjae, just because I’ve helped you in this doesn’t mean I’ve stopped loving him.”

“… I know. Wow, I can see why he fell for you.”

“You do?”

“I can see that you really did love him. But I will love him more. So you don’t need to worry or anything. Not that I’m doing all this for you, but…”

“I know what you mean. Hyukjae, if you weren’t… you, I wouldn’t have been able to let go like this. I still am not able to do it completely, but you definitely make it easier, so thank you.”

“Why are you making it sound so sad. We’ll still talk, right?”

“We wouldn’t need to. You can find out everything about him by yourself now. You can let everything happen naturally and lie less now.”

“Now that we are really together, nothing will break us apart. I’m really sorry about your situation, and I’m glad that I don’t have as many complications in my life. You know that I think your help- both financial and other- was the luckiest thing that ever happened to me, and I would never change anything that happened since you decided to help me. But I’m a little bit curious. Was there really no way at all for you two?”

“No, Hyukjae, there wasn’t. If there was even… the tiniest bit of hope… you wouldn’t have come into the picture at all.”

“You couldn’t have… run away with him? Isn’t that what usually happens in dramas?”

“This is real life. And I would never take his friends and family away from him. My company and money are nothing to me, but there are some things that money can’t buy.”

“I’m really… sorry.”

“Don’t cry. Ah... you two are so similar. There’s one last thing I want you to do for me.”

“Anything.”

“Two things, actually. One, promise me that he’ll never find out about what I did after I disappeared from his life.”

“I promise you.”

“And two… give him the happiness I couldn’t give him. Love him until you die.”

 

**

 

I couldn’t give you the love you deserve,

So let me give it through someone else.

Because no matter what happens,

I still love you.

 

 

 

 

 

End.