Surgery

Aldebaran

 

“It’s a minor surgery, nothing serious.” Jason had assured him, but he couldn’t help feeling uneasy. “I’ve had three other surgeries before, but look at me; I’m still alive and kicking, right?” He punched the air. “If the heart transplant is a success, I won’t have to have surgery anymore!” He let out a hearty laugh. “Come on! Shouldn’t you be happy for me?” He hit Jung Hwan in his chest lightly. Jung Hwan managed a weak smile.

 

“There’s an 80% success rate, however, I can’t guarantee anything. There’re risks involved too.” He heard the doctor say earlier. “We’ll try our best.”

 

Jung Hwan watched as the nurses wheeled Jason into the operating theatre. Jason had given them a thumbs-up before the doors closed. His mother was already pacing up and down. His father had already left for a better place, and he said that he would be watching after him. The time crawled by. They were getting anxious; it was four hours into the surgery.

 

“If you die, I’ll kill you.” Jung Hwan mumbled to himself. “Please be safe.” He prayed silently.

 

The pale blue doors pushed open. The doctors and nurses came out.

 

“The operation is a success,” the doctor said while removing his mask and gloves. “However, we’ll have to place him in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for further observations. The next few days are crucial.”

 

They hurried over to the ward to find a sleeping Jason. He looked really peaceful. With his handsome features, he could easily be mistaken as an angel without wings.

 

“When will he wake up?” Mrs. Jang asked his doctor.

 

“It depends on Jason’s determination. He said to pass these to you.” The doctor handed her two envelopes.

 

“Thank-you,” she said softly before returning to care for her son. She his hair gently. “Jung Hwan dear,” she said. “Thanks for caring for Jason all this while. Here,” She handed him an envelope. “He wanted to give this to you.” She smiled a little.

 

On the envelope was Jason’s neat scrawl.

 

“To: Lee Jung Hwan” It read.