Empire State of Mine

One shots

Solely dedicated to my best friend Floren! Please let me know if some of the details do not make sense. This one shot contains so many inside references to my conversation with her! She is such a lol inducing person. Inspired by my everyday convo with Floren and the making of beautiful night mv dvd, go watch it people.. and also go watch the jacket making dvd. Soooo many dooseob moments to squeal about <33333

 

 

 

 

It was a beautiful night.

 

 

Doojoon could not even start to illustrate the feelings inside of him right now. It was beyond everything else he had ever felt before. Yes he was tired, drained out of wits, terribly jet lagged and sleep deprived, but as the leader of BEAST, he was beyond proud – not conceited, mind you. The six of them were in New York, filming their new music video for their comeback and honestly, to Doojoon, this was a definitely huge step for them.

 

 

Doojoon had heard and witnessed other artists who went abroad for their musical advancements and sometimes there was jealousy, there was longing, but definitely there was worry – would they even have the chance to, would they ever be good enough, would they even reach that level of popularity. It might look like baby steps to other people, but Doojoon thought that baby steps were cool, he liked baby steps because those steps would mature into confident strides one day.

 

 

It was like a cultural exchange program and BEAST members could not be more excited than this. The dance off was awesome, Kikwang was doing his own thing – tch what American Dance – with this group of people and they loved him (of course they did, who wouldn’t honestly). Those other guys were beyond amazing though, the way they moved, how their body flowed with every beat and pause, the passion so imminent you could taste it on your tongue, the precision of every push and pull of their limbs – it was such a great encounter, and to Kikwang’s surprise, these awesome guys were only 20 years old. This should be what a piece of New York felt like and – ugh – it was good, BEAST certainly needed this kind of exposure.

 

 

The rooftop where they filmed the last scene of the music video was crowded with people – with extras who would dance like it was a rooftop rave party – and crew members and staffs. Cameras were at every corner, trying to capture every movement they made on the small stage, and wow those girls could really dance though, they shook their heads left and right, hair bouncing everywhere, hips thumping left and right and back and front invitingly. There were lots of booze, and by lots, Doojoon meant lots of it. Maybe it was because it was supposed to be a party, or maybe because it was the fourth of July and booze was sold at half price or something, or maybe it was just because – he was unsure. He wondered if everyone here was of legal drinking age.

 

 

And because it was the fourth of July – Doojoon’s birthday, really – a very important date as it was the independence day of The United States of America and they had these beautiful fireworks dancing and wriggling their ways into the dark starless sky before they exploded into tiny bits of pretty lights. And of course, they had to include the parade of beautiful lights into their newest music video and seriously, Doojoon though it was quite cool. 

 

 

When the filming was over, the party did not stop. Music continued blaring, booze was constantly consumed, and people kept dancing, even those tired staffs and crew members forgot about their fatigue bodies momentarily and joined the fun. There were girls taking pictures with him and he wondered in amusement if those girls even knew who they really were.

 

 

Apparently not everyone was in the middle of dancing their hearts out – unlike Kikwang and Hyunseung and Dongwoon. In the far corner of the rooftop, he could see Junhyung drinking alone, phone against his right ear, probably on the phone with Hara (what was the time in Seoul, Doojoon thought). And of course, amongst everything that was exhilarating around him, the only thing he noticed the most was Yoseob – his Yoseobie.

 

 

The main vocal was far beyond eager, he was a little too hyper for his own good and usually after these kind of hyper behaviors, the younger man would come to him with sleepy eyes and a pout saying he was tired and he exerted too much energy and Doojoon would be up all night rubbing small circles on Yoseob’s back until the younger man slept soundly on his bed. But it was okay this time, he knew how excited everyone was and his brash lover was not an exception.

 

 

The leader laughed when Yoseob jumped up and down during the dance off, a little too excited at the happenings around him, or when the younger man ran around the set because he just had too much energy pent up inside him – Doojoon bet it was not pent up energy whatsoever. Yet, Doojoon’s heart swelled when Yoseob looked at him with those twinkles in his eyes, and a wide smile on his face, saying “Doojoonie, come and have fun with me!” He shook his head no though, he was too old and tired for all the running and jumping.

 

 

He made his way around the huge generator to find a smaller area of the rooftop, effectively secluding it from the busy situation at the other side of the rooftop. And there he was, sitting down on the small raised platform near the edge of the rooftop was his beloved. Eyes closed, face tilted slightly upwards, obviously enjoying the New York’s night breeze. It was a serene scene and Doojoon was feeling almost guilty at breaking it. “Yah Yoseobah, don’t sit so near the edge. It’s dangerous. Come here.”

 

 

Yoseob did not even budge from his position – he did open his eyes to the view before him though – when he smiled upon hearing the familiar voice, “Stop being such a girl. It’s not even close to dangerous, I’m sitting down and I’m not even near the edge. Come here, it’s a good view out here.” The main vocal turned around and held out his hand towards Doojoon, inviting the older man to come closer. “You know I’m scared of heights, right?” Doojoon shrunk back a little upon hearing the invitation. Yoseob laughed out loud, “Oh my god, why am I even in a relationship with you. Come here sit beside me. I’ll catch you if you feel like falling.”  The older man rolled his eye before succumbing to his younger lover’s request and carefully sat down beside him.

 

 

Yoseob was right, the night scene before him was breathtaking. Thousands of lights littered the streets and buildings, illuminating them against the dark sky. He could see a faint outline of the Empire State Building (the skyscraper that Doojoon mentally made a note to visit with Yoseob), while the hustle and bustle was still very much apparent, despite the really late hour. Indeed, it was a city that never slept.

 

 

He was busy looking out towards the city when Yoseob asked a question, “Are you done with your Doorgy?” The leader frowned and looked at the younger man weirdly like he had three heads, “Doorgy? What the heck is that?”

 

 

Yoseob huffed loudly, “Doo – . You know B2uties always attach your name to things, like Doopose, Doosmile, Dooteeth for your crooked teeth, whatever else that I don’t understand. Are you done ing every girl out there at the party?”

 

 

There was an amused chuckled when Doojoon asked, “Are you jealous, Yoseobah?”

 

 

 “No.” Too fast.

 

 

“Liar! Pants on fire.” Doojoon grinned in happiness as he tried to feign annoyance.

 

 

“I’m not lying and my pants are not on fire.”

 

 

“Oh but I am on fire baby, my heart is burning for you.” Doojoon said lamely and Yoseob groaned in frustration as he buried his face on his hands, rubbing his face a few times before placing them back on the platform. Comfortable silence fell between them, simply enjoying the love and warmth radiating from each other.

 

 

After a while, Doojoon moved his right hand to cover Yoseob’s left and he felt the ring on the main vocal’s ring finger. He grinned, “This is a nice ring. You have very devoted fans to give you this golden ring with the shape of your name. I bet your fans love you so much.”

 

 

Yoseob rolled his eyes, but made no move to retract his hand from intertwining with Doojoon’s, “I can’t possibly announce to the whole world that ‘Hey, look. I got this ring from Doojoonie because he loves me so ing much and he’s gonna marry me one of these days’. Now, can I?”

 

 

“Yes, you can. Minus the slight profanities should be just perfect for me.” Doojoon laughed when Yoseob playfully punched at his shoulder and made a disgusted face on him.

 

 

Another comfortable silence fell as their intertwined hands rested on Doojoon’s lap. “Do you want to be normal people, Yoseobah?”

 

 

Yoseob looked up in confusion, “Why do you ask me that?”

 

 

Doojoon shrugged, “I don’t know. I just, y’know. It’s like, because it was nice, y’know, it was nice to be able to walk on the streets without having fans stalking or sasaengs or anything at all. It’s nice to finally be able to roam around without anyone noticing. Like, cos’ I was out doing touristy stuff this afternoon and it was just, y’know, like I’m alone, no rabid fans or screams.” He sighed loudly, “I’m sorry for scaring you, I know how much you have waited to be a singer. I’m sorry.” Doojoon lowered his head.

 

 

“I know, right. Imagine how easy it would be for us to go on dates and such.” The smile on Yoseob’s face was blinding and Doojoon grinned as relief washed over him. He kept staring at Yoseob, and finally his stupid grin melded into a serious expression. He took both of Yoseob’s hands into his and confidently spoke up, “I’m gonna take care of you, Yoseobah. For the rest of our lives.”

 

 

There was an amused frown between the younger man’s eyebrows as he chuckled, “Yah, stupid stupid Yoon Doojoon. Stop babying me. You said yourself that BEAST did not baby Yang Yoseob, that I am manly and tough. What is this!” Yoseob kicked the older man’s shin as he tried to hide his reddened cheeks which felt extremely warm and the blush crept upwards onto his scalp. Again, Doojoon grinned, his crooked teeth – which Yoseob loved the most – showing, “BEAST does not baby you, but Yoon Doojoon does.”

 

 

Yoseob scoffed at the statement, “What is this. Did you make out with the girls when I’m not watching? And you are feeling guilty now?” Doojoon laughed, “No, I just love you so much. That’s all.”

 

 

At this statement, Yoseob untangled his hands from Doojoon’s grasp and hit the leader’s shoulder repeatedly, “Cheeseballs! Stop it you – ugh –“ The older man feigned a shriek as he tried to shield himself from the brutal attack. 

 

 

“Stop that you lame person. Ugh, you make me so mad sometimes.”

 

 

“Well, I am mad about you.”

 

 

Yoseob groaned in frustration and started punching Doojoon’s shoulder again. The leader laughed and took hold of both hands to stop the attack, “Ow, ow okay okay. Ouch. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” He intertwined their fingers together once more in a tight hold. “I’m sorry, but I know you like it.” Yoseob glared at him one last time before turning his head to enjoy the city view before them.

 

 

Comfortable silence fell between them, as they looked ahead to the sea of lights and listened to the faint sounds of music on the other side of the rooftop. Yoseob snuggled closer to Doojoon and he rested his head on the older man’s shoulder.

 

 

“Happy birthday, Doojoonah. I’m sorry I didn’t buy anything for you, you know how busy we were and I know this is not a valid reason but I hope for all the best for you. I love you so much, okay.” Yoseob left a chaste peck on Doojoon’s lips to seal his birthday wishes and smiled softly at the older man.

 

 

“I love you so much.” Doojoon engulfed Yoseob in a tight hug as he buried his nose at the juncture of his neck, “I love you very much. I think your wish just came true, because all the best for me is here in my arms.” It was lame, it was cheesy, but Yoseob’s heart fluttered and he closed his eyes, melting into Doojoon’s embrace as his hands encircled the leader’s broad back to return the hug.

 

 

Doojoon mumbled against Yoseob’s neck, “I’m sorry we have to spend my birthday like this. We should have gone to your favourite restaurant near the dorm or some fancy place for romantic dinner. I’m sorry, we’ll be better for your birthday, okay. I saw this place on our way here, it was not fancy or anything but it was not bad, the lighting is cool, maybe we can – “

 

 

“Let’s go to McDonald’s.” Yoseob cut Doojoon off.

 

 

The leader loosened his hug to look at Yoseob’s face, “You want to go… McDonald’s? Like Ronald McDonald’s McDonald’s?” Yoseob nodded enthusiastically. “Like those cheese burger McDonald’s?” Yoseob nodded with a huge smile on his face, “Yes! Let’s go McDonald’s, Doojoonie!”

 

 

There was confusion on Doojoon’s face at the simple request, oh how he loved the man before him. His precious, his everything. And he laughed before he pulled Yoseob into another embrace, “Yes, let’s go McDonald’s.”

 

 

Yoseob let out a soft ‘yay’ against Doojoon’s chest and Doojoon laughed, chest rumbling where Yoseob’s cheek was resting, “I love you so much. So much. Even with the orange eyebrows and all.”

 

 

Yoseob punched Doojoon's thigh in annoyance.

 

 

\O/---------\O/---------\O/

 

 

Close to midnight, McDonald’s was still b with people. Maybe because it was the fourth of July and everyone was fueled with their patriotic energy, or maybe just because it was a holiday night. At the far corner inside the fast food chain, two boys were sitting opposite each other.

 

 

One was wearing an oversized SWAGGER hoodie, his cap haphazardly perched sideways on his head, as he stuffed the cheeseburger which was probably bigger than his face. The other one was laughing at him, comfortably dressed in white crumpled sleeveless tee and a jacket, cap hiding his face. To the rest of the world, they looked like two best of friends. Best friends who loved each other very much, who would sacrifice themselves for the sake of the others.

 

 

 

But to them, they were more than that. They were soulmates, they were lovers, they were life partners. They were in love. Now and forever.

 

 

Oh, it was a beautiful night.