Reverse Encounter

The Strange

Park Chanyeol, you have got to be the biggest idiot ever!

I cursed myself for what seemed like the thousandth time. I was reminded of last night’s events as I walked to school that morning—particularly of a scene involving entwined fingers and stolen glances as I walked along a narrow street with the breathing, walking, and talking enigma that was Nam Paran. At the moment however, more problematic was the fact that the same images have been playing repeatedly in my head from the moment I had shut my eyes as soon as I laid in bed until the moment I finally gave up on sleep when my alarm rang, signalling the start of a new school day.

I really don’t know what took over me yesterday night. I was usually more guarded with my feelings around girls of my age even though I was generally friendly with everyone. And with the ongoing investigation on Chanshik’s death, I knew that I had to focus. There was no room for unnecessary emotional involvement with the opposite . Yet there I was, actively engaging in mild flirting with a girl. And not just any girl, but possibly the only girl who could help me communicate with my dead brother.

Did I like Paran? I don’t know. Was I crushing on her? Duh.

“Ugh! Seriously, Chanyeol, get your together!” I ruffled my hair in exasperation, garnering the attention of a few nearby students who proceeded to give me strange looks while quickening their pace. I was suddenly reminded that I had an image to maintain so I put on a straight face and continued to make my way to school. I was going to have deal with this ‘feelings’ business later.

“Hey.” I was greeted by a voice that made my giant ears light up and my chest start thrumming at a dangerously suggestive rhythm. Relax, Chanyeol. I told myself. Breathe. You can handle this. Smoothly.

“Hi.” I returned Paran’s greeting with a smile. Oh, who am I kidding? I could totally feel myself grinning like an idiot! Dammit, Chanyeol, can you not? I forced myself to look a little less enthusiastic, but I was pretty sure my exaggeratedly pursed lips and furrowed eyebrows only looked awkward. My thoughts were confirmed when Paran’s face scrunched up with worry.

“Are you alright? You look like you’re about to get sick.”

Being the completely suave, manly man that I was, I responded by opening my mouth to talk and then choking on my own spit, which ultimately led to a fit of coughs. I shot her an apologetic look and held up a palm, as I turned away and tried to overcome the uncomfortable sensation of drowning in my own dribble. Great. Just great.

“I’m,” I started, only to be interrupted by another cough, “fine. Sorry about that. What’s up?” I mentally sighed in relief upon finally being able to say a full line without embarrassing myself.

“Your toast.” She held out a cloth bag that was clearly too big for ‘a piece of partially burnt bread,’ as she called it, and I raised an eyebrow in curiosity. “Also, yesterday’s lunch box.” She added with a sheepish grin that distracts me for a bit, until I saw the hint of a blush on her cheeks.

“Oh.” I bit my lip again to suppress the stupid smile that was threatening to spread on my face as I reached out to take the package, when our hands briefly touched. I swear I didn’t mean to. But then I noticed Paran almost visibly flinching at the contact, and my eyes unconsciously narrow at the sight of her reaction. I felt something in my gut tighten, while my mind screamed for me to find out what that was about. Instead I said, “Thanks.”

And then we stood there in the hallway, with me still lugging my bag behind my back and the lunchbox in my hand, an awkward silence between us. But I wasn’t the kind of person who could tolerate such situations, so I spoke again,

“C’mon. I’ll walk you to your class.”

She gave me a puzzled look but I only shrugged before continuing to walk, purposefully not giving an explanation—not like she asked for one. Walking her to class wasn’t even such a considerable feat; I had to pass by hers to get to my own, anyway. Nevertheless, Paran ambled right next to me as we headed towards our classrooms.

“Chanyeol.” Something in my gut stirs when she called my name, but I managed to keep looking ahead.

“Hm?”

“What did Chanshik’s message mean?”

“Oh. That.”

“Oh, what?”

“It’s about this game we used to play when we were kids.” I began to explain, my chin with my free hand as I recalled the memory. “We’d gather around eight to ten kids from the neighbourhood, and then we’d go to the park and play. There would be wolves, one sheep, and one monster."

"No one knew what the others were, and the point of the game was to catch the monster. However, the wolves shouldn’t eat the sheep by mistake, or else the game will end and the sheep loses." I continued. "At the same time, the monster can change wolves into monsters one by one in each round; but if he chooses to change the sheep by mistake, he’d die. If the monster can change all of the wolves but one, the last wolf to remain unchanged loses.”

“Oh.”

The air between us filled with tension as we both realized the gravity of Chanshik’s message. He might not have known the details behind his death, but surely something must have prompted him to say those words.

“Here we are.” I stopped briefly in front of her classroom and gave her a slight smile of reassurance, but she didn’t buy it. Instead, she fixed me with a troubled look, and I had to fight the urge to pull her into my arms (which were full at the time, anyway) right then.

“See you later.” I turned and began to walk towards my own class when she called out my name in the smallest voice, “Chanyeol.”

“Hm?” I felt a stinging sensation radiating from my chest as I spun to face her again. She was wearing a serious expression. A few students must have been watching us, but I didn’t bother paying them attention. I had an image to maintain but at that moment, I could hardly care.

“You’re not alone in this, alright? Even if you’re the last remaining wolf surrounded by monsters, you will still have at least one ally which is the sheep, right? Then, I’ll be the sheep.” Paran gave me a tender smile, causing my gaze to soften. I flashed her my signature grin in return before I strutted off towards my classroom.

That was probably my biggest mistake, to be honest, because I shouldn’t have smiled back at her. I shouldn’t have encouraged her like that. Instead, I should have warned her to be careful with her words. Because if we were talking about real monsters, between the wolf and the sheep, the sheep would have still been the more enticing meal.


A/N: Sorry for the late update. Real life happened. Will try giving you more regular updates. Sorry again.