four.

A Blessing in Disguise

Date: May 15th 2011
Location: Club XX

Time: 12:00AM

 

“You came!” Seungri exclaimed and put an arm around me. I could tell he was already pretty tipsy by the way he was leaning on me for support.

 

“I was here for awhile,” I smiled at him politely, slightly uncomfortable at how intimate he was being. I looked around to see if anyone was staring, and already, some girls were eyeing us. I knew a few of the club-goers were filming our group the whole night, trying to capture their favorite idols drinking, dancing and having fun.

 

Seungri noticed what I was doing and immediately dropped his arm. “We’re sitting up there on the mezzanine. You should join us.”

 

I agreed and we talked while waiting for the bartender to make more drinks. This was the second time we officially had a proper conversation, and I found him to be very fun and easygoing. He wasn’t the most genuine, but he kept the conversation flowing comfortably, which I appreciated. He led me up to their table, while I helped him with his tray of shots.

 

“Guys, this is Zoe,” Seungri announced when we arrived at their table.

 

“We know who she is, ,” one guy who I haven’t actually seen before retorted loudly. He must be one of their friends.

 

“Hi,” Seunghyun smiled at me, and I sat down next to him. I looked around expectantly for Jiyong, but he was nowhere to be found.

 

“He’s over there,” Seunghyun said, raising his glass of champagne towards the other end of the mezzanine. Jiyong was drinking and chatting with a bunch of scantily-clad girls. I involuntarily frowned at the sight. I was never one to put down other women, but they don’t look like his type.

 

He caught my reaction and chuckled, “He’s popular with women. They won’t stop fawning over him.”

 

“It couldn’t possibly be any different for you.” I countered, trying to act nonchalant.

 

He looked down and smiled shyly, “I’m not interested.”

 

“Oh,” I smiled and cocked my head, “You’re not available?”

 

“Hmm” he smiled, avoiding my gaze, and finished the rest of his drink. “Want some?” he asked as he grabbed another glass. I nodded and he passed me one.

 

We talked and discussed, surprisingly, about art. I was the one who brought it up since I saw an interesting artwork I wanted to inquire about on his Instagram. I was studying art management, and gained insightful knowledge from our conversation. He was surprised that I was in college at all.

 

“How do you have time for all of this?”

 

“I’m only studying part-time,” I explained, taking a sip of my drink, “It was a deal I had with my parents. Studying art management will give me some sort of safety net to fall back on if I failed to become a dancer.”

 

“Why art management though?”

 

I shrugged, “I don’t know. I’ve never been good at drawing and being a visual artist myself, but I like and appreciate art. Honestly, it was either this or theatre production.”

 

He nodded.

 

I was about to ask him a question when I felt someone sat next to me.

 

“Zoe?” It was Jiyong.

 

I turned to look at him, and the way he looked - his ruffled hair, lazy gaze, and casual yet stylish attire - completely took my breath away. God, I thought. How is he always so hot? It’s no wonder that women are attracted to him like bees to a flower.

 

“You look different,” he commented.

 

“Thanks?” I offered weakly, hoping that it was a compliment. I tried to look extra nice tonight, knowing that there would be a lot of industry insiders present at the party. I wanted to be able to catch their eye and make them notice me.

 

“Did you have fun?” Seunghyun piped up mischevously, winking at me.

 

“Huh?” Jiyong looked confused.

 

“Yeah, where’s your entourage of women?” I mocked him, unable to stop myself. I wonder if it was the alcohol, but I was feeling extra bold. Seunghyun looked at me and snickered. I gave him a wink.

 

Jiyong let out a laugh and rolled his eyes, “I had to be polite.”

 

“Yeah sure,” I teased.

 

He smiled and leaned back. I grabbed a drink from the tray and handed it to him. He accepted it gratefully and took a drink.

 

“Do you guys have these parties often?” I asked, trying to make conversation. I realized that Jiyong was a lot harder to approach compared to Seunghyun.

 

“Not as often as people like to think,”

 

“It’s fun,” I added uselessly and he smiled again.

 

“What were you guys talking about?”

 

“About art,”

 

“Art?” he furrowed his brows.

 

“Yeah, I study art management, so I was just asking oppa about the art he likes.”

 

“Did you come to my art exhibition then? What did you think of it?”

 

Then, the awkwardness slowly slipped away and the three of us chatted comfortably once more. At that moment, I realize that art really do have the power to bring people together. It allowed Seunghyun, Jiyong and me to connect even though we are different people at different stages of their lives. Without even noticing, an hour had passed and we each had five more drinks. That was definitely more alcohol than I could handle.

 

“Okay guys, I think I drank too much,” I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath. The world was suddenly spinning, which was not a good sign.

 

“How much did you have?” Seunghyun laughed.

 

“I don’t know,” I whined, pouting.

 

“Okay, we should leave,” Jiyong suggested, and called his manager to pick us up.

 

“It’s fine,” I put my hand on his arm. “I’ll take a cab home.”

 

Seunghyun and Jiyong gave each other a look, and Jiyong shook his head, “No.”

 

“Come on. Let’s get out of here,” Seunghyun stood up and helped Jiyong gather my things while I stood there like an idiot, watching them.

 

We laughed and joked around as we walked down and across the packed dance floor. Suddenly, I felt Jiyong’s arm snake around my waist, pulling me close to him. I looked up and saw that he was glaring at someone behind me. I turned around and saw a guy backing away from us. Knowing that he must’ve wanted to try something on me, I was instantly grateful for Jiyong’s protection.

 

“Thanks,” I whispered.

 

“It’s nothing.” He was still holding me close, and I could smell his musky cologne. It made my heart beat faster and stomach flutter with giddiness. Despite my tipsiness, I tried very hard to keep calm.

 

When we finally made it out of the club, Seunghyun lighted a cigarette and waved us off. He talked to Jiyong as if I wasn’t there, which annoyed me a lot. “Do you mind taking Zoe home by yourself? I’m going to see her later.”

 

“Of course you are,” Jiyong gave him a slight playful punch and started to lead me away. “Have fun! Bye hyung!”

 

“No wait,” I pulled away from Jiyong and pointed at Seunghyun. “Her? Who’s her? Are you guys keeping secrets from me? I thought we’re best friends now!!!”

 

“Oh my God,” Jiyong laughed and grabbed my hand. “Let’s go.”

 

“You guys are bullying me!” I pouted and stomped my foot.

 

Seunghyun cracked a smile and shook his head. “Good luck, Jiyong.

 

I glared at him.

 

“Come on! Hyung is here,” Jiyong tugged at my hand and led me to his car.

 

“I’m not going to just forget this!” I yelled over my head.

 

“Bye, little one!” I could hear Seunghyun’s laughter as Jiyong closed the door   

 

Once I nestled myself comfortably in the car seat, I immediately felt sleepy. My eyes drooped and I couldn’t keep them open. I could hear Jiyong chuckle and I knew how ridiculous I must have looked.

 

“I’m not sleepy,” I insisted, trying to widen my eyes.

 

“Just sleep,” he said, as he gently put a stray hair behind my ear.

 

“What if I miss my stop?”

 

“I’ll wake you up - I promise.”

 

“I know I won’t be able to. I’ll snore. And everyone on the bus will laugh at me.”

 

He giggled, and I giggled back, not knowing why.

 

“Ah, you’re so cute and you don’t even know it,” he sighed and wrapped his hands around me, bringing me into his chest. He gave me a kiss on the head and whispered, “I’ll watch over you. Don’t worry, just sleep.”

 

I felt so ridiculously happy. It was almost pathetic how elated I felt. I wondered if he really meant the things he said and if he really cared about me as a friend – or more than a friend? I didn’t know. I mean, dance partners don’t just do this to each other right? “Oppa, are you drunk?” I asked.

 

“Do you want me to be?”

 

“Mmm,” I murmured, feeling a sense of ease wash over me. I let sleepiness take over and fell asleep.