Chapter 4

The Darkness In Me

" ... Thank you and enjoy your night," I said and bowed to the audience.

I may be blind but it doesn't mean that I am useless nor I can just laze around using that as an excuse. Life still continues.

I sing in a bar every night for a living. I depend on this job to live my life. Not everyone is willing to hire someone blind but since being blind doesn't mean that I can't sing and I sort of have the talent in singing, why not work as a singer here? The owner of the bar was kind enough for letting me work here. She has never once discriminated me because of my diabilities and even paid me well for me to be able to afford to pay for my living expenses and education in school. 

" This is your pay for tonight. I'll see you tomorrow!" says Madam Raena, the owner of the bar, while handing me an envelope.

I thanked her and left the bar after bidding goodbye. The streets aren't that busy now considering that it's already late at night and the bar was basically the only shop opened. And that is also why I walk home every night instead of hauling a cab because there are hardly any here.

Suddenly, someone yanked me at the arm and pulled me into what I guess was an alley. I couldn't shout and only muffling voices came out from me as a big hand covered my mouth. I was then pushed against the wall. Judging from the hands grabbing my face, I'm positive that it was a man. A drunk man, who's body streaked of the scent of alcohol.

" Hey beautiful... what are you doing at the streets here late at night? Why not join me for some fun?" he said while caressing my face. I tried prying his hands off of me but he was simply too strong and I was at a disadvantage because I couldn't see.

I struggled and kicked him on the left hard. He groaned in pain and his hold on me loosened. I grabbed the chance to run away from him. I did not know where I was heading to but anywhere is better than going back to where the guy was. I ran as fast as I could and thank god the guy was drunk, so he could not catch up easily. 

Just then, *thump*

My body crashed into someone else's. 

"I'm sorry," I apologised and tried to run away but that person has his arms around me and would not let go of me.

"Karyne?" a familiar voice called out. "What are you doing here on the streets? Don't you know it's dangerous?"

Kris!

I recognised that voice, it was Kris. 

However the drunkard was able to catch up. "Pretty, where are you trying to go? I won't harm you, come with me." I stumbled while trying to run away but just then a strong pair of arms pulled me away and I realised Kris has pulled me behind him.

"Young man, this is none of your business!"

"You're haressing my friend over here, of course it's my business!" 

And then I heard noises. Groans and sounds of punching. Soon after that, I knew the guy was gone.

"Don't let me see you around or it'll not be just a punch next time!" yelled Kris to the fleeing drunkard.

"Let's go, I'll take you home." I was still in shock of what happened and I could do was just nod and let him take me.

I heard him speaking in the phone and not long after that I was taken to a car. I told Kris my address when he asked and he told the driver, who then drove away. 

I wasn't sure how much time has passed but I woke up when my someone shook my shoulder. I lifted my head and realised that I was leaning against Kris' shoulder this whole time. 

"We're at your place." said Kris.

The door opened and he led me out of the car to the front door of my house.

"Get some rest and I'll see you tomorrow morning." Just when he finish the sentence, I felt his hands caressing my cheek. Before I could react, a kiss landed on my right cheek.

"Goodnight."

I was still in a daze after what happened and I didn't realise that he has already ushered me into the house. I heard the door closed behind me.

I stood there and held my cheek.

What just happened? Did he just kiss me?

I shook off all the confusions and thoughts. It was nothing, I convinced myself. 

With that, I proceeded to my bedroom to change and go to bed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-Author's Note - 

Hello~~

I'm back peeps!

I'm so sorry it took me so long to update. I just finished my major exam a few weeks ago. The exam was just too important and that was why I delayed the update. Thank you for your patience and I'll try to update soon. Updates may be slow but I'm quite positive that will not abandon the story as it's my first story. 

Thank you and see you guys again!

P.s. longest update haha