Chapter 2

The Darkness In Me

I'm now taking a break at my usual spot in the blind school. 

Blind school may not be like the normal school that normal people attend but we still get to have breaks just like normal schools after long hours of studying. Studying is tiring as we really have to concentrate very hard on our studies because we rely on out touch to read Braille and not look at the words written in the book like other people do.

After all that studying in the morning, at last, I get to sit down alone at my 'secret' spot under the big tree and enjoy my sandwich. It's my personal secret spot as no one really comes here. People in blind school are not as friendly as you think they are, besides the volunteers and the staff. Well, I can't really blame them for that as the blinds aren't usually very confortable with others. It was fine with me thought because I don't really enjoy people's accompany either. 

"Karyne!"

Just when I was about to take a bite on my sandwich, someone called out.

I recognise that voice immediately. 

It's  Kris.

Kris is a volunteer that comes by to help in the blind school often. I knew him a few months back when he helped me at the staircase when the lift in the school broke down.

But it was just that one meeting and I never thought that he'll be so attached to me. From that day onwards, he'll be here everyday waiting for me to be in school. Sometimes I really do wonder whether he has a life outside.

I heard his footsteps as he running towards my direction. "Sorry I'm late today." He said while panting. All I did was just nod and continue with my sandwich. But apparently he did not give up and started with another conversation. 

"So... how are you today?"

"Fine."

"Erm..."

"Yes?"

"I...", he stuttered. "I was just wondering... I'm having a birthday party this weekend and I'm inviting all my friends. You should come. "

I paused a while and answered, "No, thanks. But I don't think we're that close to be called friends."

With that, I stood up and left...