Chapter 2

Ice Crush

 

-A few months back-

Minseok was about to walk into the classroom when he hears a conversation. He stops outside the door and listens.


Chanyeol: I think shorty (you’re nickname in class all because he decided to call you that one day) has a crush on someone… What should I do?

Baekhyun: You like her?

Chanyeol: Uh

Baekhyun: Is that a yes or no?

Chanyeol: Uh

Baekhyun: Is that a yes? Give me a definite answer. Dude!

Chanyeol: Yes, I do like her. But she likes Minse---- OH KEEP THIS TO YOURSELF BAEK!

Baekhyun: Hahaha. Don’t worry. I won’t tell the whole world. Maybe just Minseok Hyung? -Laughs-

Chanyeol: YA!!!!!!!!!

-Sounds of Baekhyun whimpering from Chanyeol’s attack-

 

It was something Minseok didn’t expect. Someone actually likes him. And it was you. He turns around and heads to the cafeteria.

 

I could sense that it was going to be a really bad day. I lost to a bet to my good friend Park Chanyeol, and he requested me to be his personal slave and to obey his orders for the whole day.

I was walking lifelessly into the school compound when I realized a huge shadow lurking behind me.

Urgh. Park Chanyeol.

I quickened my pace.

‘YA! SHORTY! Where you going? Come here~’

I was so annoyed at his mockery and ran up the stairs all the way to the 3rd floor where our classroom was. I looked back and noticed Chanyeol was gone. Yes! I took a turn round the corridor and just when I was about to enter the classroom, I banged onto someone.

‘Oh no I’m sorry!’ I looked up and Minseok stood there lifelessly looking at me.

He nods in acceptance and puts his hands up like as though he wants a high-five or something.

I was lost for words. Maybe he wanted a high-five? I raised my hand, ready to high-five him but he kept his hands back into his pocket and walked away.

What. Did he just trolled me? Who does he think he is?!

Hmph. What so fantastic about Kim Minseok after all.

‘WAIT UP!’ a breathless Chanyeol cried from behind me

‘Even though you have short legs, I admit you run really fast’ Chanyeol said ‘But you still cannot escape your fate~’ He throws his big blue bag into my arms and walks into the classroom feeling proud.

I was completely stomped over by Minseok and Chanyeol in just one morning.

I threw his bag over to him and noticed how he got taken back, I snickered.

Teacher enters the classroom and lecture begins.

I was dozing off silently but was woken up by Chanyeol who threw a crushed paper ball at me, making me jolt up straight. ‘YES!!!’ I shouted and immediately covered my mouth while everyone around me laughs. Oh dang…

‘Yes Yuri! You have been chosen to represent our class with Minseok for the upcoming Science fair! Congratulations! And please don’t doze off in my class even though I know you can score distinctions without listening in lectures.’

‘Yes. Sorry teacher.’ I bowed at set back down.

I could hear Chanyeol’s deep laughter.

I turned and glared at him while his eyes widened and looked away, still laughing.

Oh no but what is this? Science fair? With Kim Minseok?

Half of me was nervous yet excited, since I think he is a little cute. But the other half of me was kind of not looking forward to working with him. After-all, this morning’s interaction with him wasn’t that great.

I glanced at Minseok’s direction and realized he was looking at me. Flustered, I turned back my gaze to the teacher.

‘Alright! Minseok and Yuri, please meet me after school for a briefing with the other kids. You are dismissed Class!’

 

-During lunch break-

Everyone has left for lunch break and the only people left in the class was Chanyeol, Minseok, and I.

‘Urgh, why does teacher have to spoil my plans. I wanted you to buy lots of good stuff for me at lunch today.’ Chanyeol said grumpily

‘Tsk. So was that it? I’m hurt Park Chanyeol.’ I shook my head

‘Maybe?’ He laughs.

He suddenly got serious and asked ‘Can you not go for the competition?’

I looked at him questioningly. From the way he looked at me, I could tell he was sincere.

‘Wae?’ There was no reason why Chanyeol didn’t want me to go for the competition.

‘I----‘

‘Yuri? Let’s go.’ Minseok said and walked out of the classroom.  

I could tell Chanyeol really wanted to tell me something but Minseok was waiting for me and so I gave a pat on his head and left the classroom. ‘See ya later Yeol!’

While walking along the corridor, I thought back at the incident earlier on.

‘Can you not go for the competition?’

Chanyeol was acting weirdly and I wondered why for once he was not supportive of me.

‘What are you thinking about?’ Minseok asked from my side, his voice was soft and there was a hint of concern.

I looked at the wide eyed boy with cute dimples who was walking beside me.

‘Nah. Nothing.’ I shrugged. ‘Are you excited for the competition?’ I asked, attempting to lift the mood.

‘Hmm. Maybe.’

We walked silently down the empty corridors, each lost in our own thoughts.

‘I’m not excited for the competition, but I’m excited to find out more about you, Yuri.’ He thought.