Chapter 12 - His broken heart

The biggest secret

It has been a week since Ji Hyo and GD started dating. They were both happy but they also felt a little empty. Taeyang hadn’t come over to their apartment for a week. GD was relieved that no one bother him and his beloved girlfriend but the apartment seemed to be too quiet without Taeyang joking and running around. Taeyang didn’t show up at school or tutor session neither. GD and Ji Hyo started getting worry.

GD came over Taeyan’s apartment every day and rang the bell but no one opened the door. He called and texted Taeyang but no luck on response at all. GD wondered if Taeyang avoid him and Ji Hyo in purpose. The news of them dating must affect Taeyang badly. GD never thought Taeyang would take Ji Hyo that serious.

Taeyang was a player, a big one. He never seriously liked any girl. He dated a lot, several girls at the same time but he broke up with them as quick as he got them. GD thought Taeyang was not serious about Ji Hyo but it didn’t seem like a case anymore.

GD and Taeyang got into a lot of fights before but they always made up after a few hours. He never lost contact to Taeyang for that long. He got worried, and then he felt bad. Maybe he should counsell with Taeyang before he announced his relationship with Ji Hyo. He was just too happy that day that he didn’t even notice Taeyang left the party right after the announcement was made. GD hadn’t seen him ever since.

It was 7 P.M. Ji Hyo was working at the restaurant when a phone call came in.

“Hello” – Ji Hyo answered the phone

“Hello, May I talk to Miss Ji Hyo Song?” – A male voice demanded over the phone

“This is her. Who am I talking too?”

“This is Officer Thomas from Cambridge PD. Do you know someone name Taeyang?” – The officer asked

“Yes sir. Is he ok?”- Ji Hyo worriedly asked. In America, if the police called it meant the person was in trouble or caused trouble. She had been concerned for a week since she didn’t see Taeyang. She didn’t want to ask GD but she was very worried now hearing the police called just made her anxiety worse. Even though she was always being cold toward Taeyang, after a few months of hanging out together, she thought of him as a good friend, a good brother.

“He got arrested for getting drunk in public and assault. You are number 1 in his contact list so we want to contact you to let you know about the situation.” – Said the officer.

“Really? Oh My God. I’m so sorry. Is he ok?” – Ji Hyo anxiously asked.

“He is still drunk and got some bruises on his face.”

“Oh My Dear! Can I know where your department located at? I will come there right now?” – Asked Ji Hyo as she took off her work apron and ran out of the restaurant.

She quickly got into a taxi in worry and got to the address that officer Thomas gave her earlier.

After doing all the necessary paperwork, the officer took her to the cell where Taeyang was. It saddened Ji Hyo seeing the usually fun and lively Taeyang sitting pathetically inside the jail cell with his face all bruised.

The officer took him out of the cell and brought him to Ji Hyo. He was in surprise when he opened his eyes and saw Ji Hyo who was looking at him sadly. He wasn’t used to that side of Ji Hyo. He was more familiar with the cold or angry Ji Hyo. The sad Ji Hyo somehow hurt him.

“Why are you here?” – Taeyang avoided Ji Hyo sad eyes. He felt like he just committed a crime, a crime of making that girl sad.

“To take you home. Why are you being like this?” – Ji Hyo frowned.

“Why did they call you? I can get out of here when I’m sober.” – Taeyang said with arrogance.

“Then don’t save my name as number 1 in your list. Shouldn’t you save your best friend as number 1 in your list?” – Ji Hyo coldly stated as they walked to the cab.

Taeyang was quiet. He didn’t know why he saved her as number 1 in his contact list neither. She was the first girl got that position. Maybe since the first time he saw her, she was already number one in his heart. He never experienced such a big crush like that on a girl. She was pretty and different. Like a unique white rose in the middle of the red rose garden. She was pure and special. She took away his heart without making any effort.

The more he was with her, the more he liked her. He even declared war with his best friend so that he could chase after her. But in the end, he was just a loser. He lost her for his own best friend. He knew there was something between GD and Ji Hyo but he was only remained hoping. Hoping that one day GD would give up or one day Ji Hyo finally looked at his direction. Sadly, all his hopes were disappeared that night. His heart was shattered as GD proudly pronounced Ji Hyo was his girlfriend. He lost confidence seeing how happy his best friend and Ji Hyo were. He knew it was time for him to stop chasing after Ji Hyo. She was his best friend’s girlfriend now.

However, seeing them together wasn’t easy to Taeyang. It was too painful for him even thinking about that fact. That was why he avoided them. Out of sight, out of mind – he hoped. He putted himself in all night party with girls and alcohol hoping he could find someone to replace her position in his heart but the more he drank, the more he missed her.

They were quiet on the way home.

“Do you have first aid kit?” – Ji Hyo asked as they got into his apartment.

“I’m ok. Don’t worry about me.” – Taeyang sad, coldly, still avoiding eye contact with Ji Hyo.

“Don’t be stubborn. Your face is all bruised and wounded. If we don’t sanitize it, it will leave scars.” – Ji Hyo demanded.

Taeyang sighed as he walked to the kitchen and got the first aid.

Ji Hyo took out the medication and lightly applied it on Taeyang’s face. He kept looking at the floor until the wound was too sting and he looked angrily at Ji Hyo as a reflex but then he saw her sad face again. He calmed down.

“Sorry for bothering you” – Taeyang softly said.

“You are fine. Just don’t cause trouble any more. It won’t be good for your record.” – Said Ji Hyo with a low voice as she carefully applying the medication.

He looked at her face. He wanted to touch her flawless skin, her chubby cheeks badly but he restrained himself from his desire. He looked down to the floor, again. His heart was in more pain than his face at that moment.

“Are you hungry?” – Ji Hyo asked as she applied the last bandage on his face

“No, I’m fine.”

“Let’s me cook you Kimchi soup. It will help to get rid of the alcohol.” – Ji Hyo said and walked to the kitchen. She quickly took out some ingredients and made soup.

Taeyang sat on the couch and stared at her. It was so sad seeing the girl that he loved in front of him and he couldn’t do anything. She looked too pretty as she cooked. She putted her hair up in a ponytail showing her long slender neck line. Her lips parted a little as she focused on cutting the ingredient. He wanted to taste those lips so desperately. Even her back looked lovely as she turned her front toward the stove to taste the soup.

Taeyang suddenly got up. He walked softly toward her. When he was just a few inches apart. He hugged her from the back.

“Please don’t push me away” – He softly said as Ji Hyo was in surprise. “Just give me a minute, just stay still for a minute.” – He said as he rested his chin on her shoulder, closed his eyes and inhaled her scent.

Normally, Ji Hyo would push him out right away and kicked him a few times but that day, she let him be. She felt his sorrow, his sadness. She knew he got hurt. Because of her – she guessed. She had the feeling that he liked her but she always thought it was just a kid crush. She never imagined that fun and energetic boy could be so depressed because of her. If letting him hugging her could ease his pain, then it was the least she could do for him.

They stood there, in front of the boiling soup, for more than a minute. He tightened his arms around her waist, didn’t want to let her go. Since the first day he met her, he always wanted to do this. Now he was hugging her, but why he felt so sad…

“I knew you are belonged to Ji Yong now.” – Taeyang continued, softly – “I would be a jerk if I tried to snatch my best friend girlfriend away. I knew he loved you, a lot, but so do I.”

Ji Hyo was surprised by Taeyang sudden confession. Her eyes widened. She froze

“I won’t try to convince you to be with me. It won’t be right. But I want to at least let you know how I feel about you or I will never be able to move on with my life. I loved you since the first time I saw you. You were the first girl that can make my heart beat so fast, make me flutter even with just your smile. In the last 7 days not seeing you, I missed you so much but I couldn’t bring myself to see you with Ji Yong, my own best friend. I hurt a lot. Now I understand what people mean by heartbroken. My chest was in pain every time I thought about you, like it was broken to pieces.” He sobbed. She still kept quiet. She didn’t know what to say to comfort him. He was confessing to her, a touching confession that she never could accepted because she already had a man, that man’s best friend.

“You don’t have to say anything.” – Taeyang continued – “because I knew you are going to reject me and I wouldn’t be able to bear hearing that. I accepted the fact that I lost. But Ji Hyo ah, can you at least let me hug you every time I see you, just until my heart healed, until I feel less pain.” – Taeyang whispered with a sad voice.

Ji Hyo slowly nodded. He was too sad for her to say no. She could hear the sound of his heart cracking. He was devastated. She didn’t want to make it worst. If a hug could ease his pain, then she let him have it. It saddened her seeing him in pain too.

 “Thank you. And you know if Ji Yong ever treated you bad, you always can come to me right? There will always be a place for you in my apartment and in my heart too.” – Taeyang said with sincere.

She nodded. They stood there. He hugged her. For a long while …