Chapter 21 - His father

The biggest secret

The “small” party that GD said wasn’t that small after all. Ji Hyo already predicted that but she still couldn’t hold her surprise when the door opened. It was a luxurious ball room. There were more than a thousand people in that room. Judging from their look, Ji Hyo bet that they were all from upper class, business men mostly – the successful ones.

Even though the room was full of beautiful ladies but Ji Hyo appearance still attracted great attention as she walked in with her luxurious dress and her hair and make-up nicely done by professional celebrity makeup artist that GD personally hired just for this event. She was no less gorgeous than any Hollywood stars. More than half of the men in the ballroom got their ears pulled by their ladies for kept gluing their eyes on Ji Hyo. 

GD kept his eyes straight and his smile opened but he was very irritated with other men kept staring at Ji Hyo. He whispered to her – “I really want to rip the eyes out of those men for keep looking at my girlfriend.”

She laughed – “That’s why you should stop buying me nice clothes and pampering me too much. Don’t blame other people when you were the one make me look this good” – She slyly teased.

“Well, what can I do? I can’t stop pampering my girlfriend or another man will.” – He said, looking sweetly at her.

“I don’t think any other man will spend that much money on my clothes.”

“You will be surprise. Having you like having a pure gemstone that makes man keeps wanting to buffer to make you shine brighter. I never pampered anyone as much as I did to you. You have a magic spell on me Ji Hyo.” – He sweetly said, his eyes dreamy.

She blushed. He always made her feel special. His words sound corny but it felt real to her for some reasons. She knew those words were from his heart. No wonder, he was the only guy could melt the ice queen’s heart.

Escaping from the crowd, he walked her to a gentle man that was busying discussing business with some American businessmen. That gentle man looked like he was in his 50s, well groomed, mature, and successful.

“How are you appa?” – GD greeted.

Ji Hyo was stunned and got frozen for a moment as she realized that he was introducing her to his father. It was a big surprise to her. Even though they had been together for a year and it should be normal for her to meet his parent, still, the introduction was sudden to her.

She bowed her head 90 degree toward GD’s father.

“Nice to meet you …” – She hesitated as she was not sure how should she address him.

“Abeonim, call him abeonim, he is my father.” – GD looked at he, sweetly smiled as he recognized her flutter.

“N-ne. Nice to meet you abeonim” – She softly said.

GD’s father excused himself from other businessmen.

“This is my girlfriend, Song Ji Hyo” – GD introduced.

His father looked at Ji Hyo from head to toe. He nodded his head as he approved the good looking girl in front of him. He saw a good aura coming from her, the kind of aura that would make a successful business woman. He was in business world long enough, he could read the person’s potential from first sight.

“Oh who is it here? Is it your girlfriend, Ji Yong?” – A pretty lady jumped in middle of them and asked.

“N-ne noona, this is Song Ji Hyo, my girlfriend.” – Then he turned to Ji Hyo “This is my sister, Kwon Dami”

“Nice to meet you” – Ji Hyo lightly bowed at Dami.

“Nice to meet you too” – Dami brightly greeted. “Wow, you are so pretty” – She admired as she staring at Ji Hyo from head to toe. “Are you a model? Can you be model for my next collection? I’m a designer by the way.” – She excitedly asked

Before Ji Hyo could answer, GD already interrupted.

“No way I let her be your model. I don’t want my girlfriend to be exposed to any one, what if she became popular and other men try to steal her from me.” – GD frowned at his sister.

“What a selfish man you are. You should be happy if your girlfriend becomes famous.” – Dami argued.

The two siblings pulled each other aside and bickering, leaving Ji Hyo talking to his father.

Ji Hyo was hesitated at first as she was nervous talking to her boyfriend’s father for the first time. But she got more comfortable as they talked about business topic. It was her specialty. It was not only that she was good at school but she really had a big passion on business world. She read and analyzed business news every day so her conversation with his father went really smoothly. She could talk at the same level with a successful businessman as GD’s father. He was very happy and interested in Ji Hyo. He was glad that his son finally found a good girlfriend.

“What are you two talking about? Seem like you two are having more fun than me and my sister.” – GD gladly stated.

“Just business, Ji Hyo seemed to be a smart girl” – His father stated.

Ji Hyo shyly smiled.

“Of course she is smart. He had full ride scholarship to Harvard and she is my tutor too.” – GD proudly said.

“Oh you go to Havard too?” – His father asked Ji Hyo

“N-ne. I’m working on my Master degree.” – Ji Hyo honestly answered.

“Master degree? How old are you?” – His father looked at her in curious.

“22” – She said

“So you are two years older than Ji Yong?” – He said, his forehead formed a small V

“N-ne” – She politely answered.

“Don’t you mind if I ask what are your parents’ occupation?” – He continued, his facial expression started changing.

“My mother is housewife and my stepfather is a regular salary man.”

“Stepfather? How about your father?” – His dad continued pushing questions.

“He passed away when I was young.” – She said, her eyes lowered.

“Hmm.” – His father frowned, thinking for a while. – “You know what Ji Hyo. You are a smart girl. In the future, if you want to have a job in our cooperation, I won’t be hesitated to give you an important position but I don’t think it is a good idea for you to date my son.” – He frankly told Ji Hyo.

Both Ji Hyo and GD were stunned by his statement.

“What are you saying appa?” – GD frowned.

“May I know the reason behind that sir?” – Ji Hyo said as she quickly pulled back her calm cold face.

“I don’t think it is a good idea for my son to date an older woman, plus our classes were too different. There is nothing wrong about you. Just your family is …”

“Poor?” – Ji Hyo looked at his father, didn’t bother to hide her sharp gaze.

His father was surprised for a moment from her reaction.

“Just because I’m from a poor family so I’m not allowed to love? Do all rich people come from rich family? Did your family start up rich?” – She hold her sharp gaze at his father – “Chang Do Won, the owner of Forever 21 came to America from Korea with 0 dollar in his hand, had to work three jobs at the same time to make ends meet but now they have 48 stores all over the world. Ralph Lauren, founder of Polo started up as sale clerk at Brooks Brothers but now his net worth is more than $5 billion dollars. George Soros, the legendary trader started up as a waiter and railway porter then made his way to billionaire. Li Ka Shing fled mainland China for Hong Kong, with his father died when he was 15 leaving him responsible for supporting his family and now he is the owner on multibillion dollars plastic manufacture and real estate cooperation. I don’t think I need to give any more explanation sir but I can tell you one thing for sure, one day, I will become one of them and that day, you will be regret looking at me with those despite eyes. And about dating with you son sir, if one day we break up, it will be because we no longer love each other. Not because someone tell us to. And with all deal respects sir, even though you are his father; I don’t think you should interfere with your son love life. He is a smart man. He should know what he is doing.  Now if you excuse us sir, I think we should return to our hotel. It’s getting late and you seemed to have a lot of people to talk to.” – She confidently stated, her eyes were cold, her glare was sharp.

Despite his father and sister looking at her in gasp, she walked away in GD’s arm.

It was the first girl that dared to be that frank to his father and leaving him speechless. She was indeed an unordinary girl. That girl would definitely make it big one day – his father knew. But still, he couldn’t accept a girl from a poor background to be with his son. He wouldn’t let them be together …