[02]. Bora

The Town Where It Always Rained

Summer 2015

Him

Chapter Soundtrack: Lost Watch - Seabear

It was early into the evening when Jeonghan finally pulled in to the driveway.

His home was nice. It was a modern two story home recently built in the past 10 years as a part of the hipster gentrification bleeding out from Portland. There were four bedrooms, one for himself, his parents, his sister and for visiting guests. It had a nice spacious backyard and even a barbecue pit. It was definitely a nice place to have grown up.

As he reached the porch, he saw his older sister Bora waiting for him in her favorite rocking chair reading a book, with a setting of fine china. She smiled brightly when she noticed him walking up and began pouring him some tea.

"Why aren't you asleep yet, noona?" Jeonghan asked with a look of concern. He sat down next to her on the wooden bench and took his cup of tea.

Bora smiled as she closed her book. Her smile was thoughtful, warm, and caring. Despite being only 4 years older than Jeonghan, his sister looked much older than she appeared. She was tall and had a tall frame and neck that made her look like an elegant crane. Her long raven hair fell down to her stomach and only made her look more mature and wise beyond her years. But then again, she was.

"To congratulate my little brother on his graduation of course!" she said teasingly, "sorry I couldn't make it today."

Jeonghan nodded understandingly. He simply replied, "Of course, of course. So how was your day?"

This had become their nightly ritual. Jeonghan would usually come over into his sister's bedroom, sit at the edge of her bed and ask her about her day and vice versa. Their relationship had grown extremely close the past few years and moments like these were one of the few reasons that they had gotten closer.

"Nuh-uh. You first tonight. I've gone first for like 3 years now. Come on, I want to hear about your graduation!" she pestered excitedly.

He chuckled and began to describe his ceremony process, his valedictorian speech, and the tearful hugs and goodbyes after. 

"So did you go to any grad parties?" Bora asked.

Jeonghan nodded and answered, "Briefly. I mainly hung out with my friends and we stopped by a grad party just to see some faces. Nothing special really."

"Oh Jeonghan, tsk tsk." Bora shook her head in disappointment. "It's your graduation! You're free of high school! You should have gotten super drunk or have gone on some life altering adventure with your friends! Maybe find a dead body!" she shouted excitedly.

"You know I won't drink."

Again, Bora sighed and shook her head. "You've got to stop that. You're young! You should enjoy life while you can. Stop being an old person and coming home when the sun is still out. I think tonight is the latest you've ever been out and it's only 8 o'clock!" Bora shook him playfully.

"Well this is how I enjoy life. With you noona," Jeonghan said warmly. He squeezed her hand firmly before letting it go to finish his tea. He looked up at her and said, "Come on, it's getting cold. Let's go inside. Want me to help you?"

Bora nodded as Jeonghan slipped his arms under his sister's and lifted her up. He carried her only a few paces before gently setting her down in her wheelchair. He collected the tea pot, cups, and spoons onto the serving tray and began to push her inside.

"I'm sorry for being such a burden, Jeonghan. Most people are out partying right now and you're about to get your kicked in Scrabble," Bora teased.

"Well that's only because you cheat."

His sister always for choosing to be with her over staying out with his friends but she was wrong. He had told her before, that she wasn't guilting him into staying with her. That him choosing to hang out with her was his choice, and that he had just learned to cherish his sister more since the accident.

To Jeonghan, this was his happiness.