[04]. Because of You

The Town Where It Always Rained

Him

Chapter Soundtrack: Listen For The Rain - In Colour

The rich smell of the blend between coffee and vanilla. Jeonghan inhaled deeply as a smile formed across his face. He took one sip--perfection.

He took a look around at the small little coffee shop known as 'Love You A Latte'. The walls were lined with a wooden oak paneling with similarly patterened hardwood floors. Their decor seemed to carry with a "hipster forest" theme with minimalistic black tables and metallic chairs with cute cream colored coffee mugs. The size of the space was cozy, only built for several patrons at a time but the space was filled with people from wall to wall. The java brewing business was an extremely lucrative one in the town of Shadow Pines. When it rained all year long, everyone was always in the mood for some hot coffee. From big national chains like Starbucks to small local establishments like Java the Hut, one could find always find a shop within walking distance.

The girl he knew as Holly finally arrived with her own mug of coffee in her hands as she held it up to her face, cooling the hot drink with quick short bursts of air blowing from her cheeks.

Looking at her up close, he realized that she was rather pretty. No, that word didn't seem appropriate in describing how alluring she looked. Holly was famous in their town, and sure Jeonghan had seen glimpses of her in passing, but he realized sitting across from her that this was the first time he had actually ever really seen all of her, let alone interacted with her.

She had a petite slim body that was hidden under several layers of thick warm weather clothing. Her skin was pale, but then again so was everyone else's in town, it came with the territory of having sunlight that was mostly obscured by dark clouds. Her face was long and her jawline a bit sharp but nice, and her nose a little mousey. But her eyes seemed rather big on her face with great big hazel pupils. However Holly's most interesting and eye catching quality was her long bright silver hair that fell a few inches past her shoulder with bangs perfectly framing her elongated face. Her whole look made her appear...whimsical.

"So Holly, what are your plans now that we're high school graduates?" Jeonghan said casually to break the ice.

Her expression soured. She raised a brow as she grabbed a spoonful of sugar and began sprinkling them into her mug. "Really? Small talk? I thought you'd be better than that," Holly yawned wryly.

Jeonghan wasn't used to people being so off handed with him. He was thrown, but undeniably amused. "And what do you suggest, just here in silence?"

She nodded as she was taking a test sip from her drink. Apparently it needed more sugar as she began adding more spoonfuls. "I mean yeah, I'd prefer that. But since that's probably not going to happen--couldn't you come up with a more interesting line of conversation?" she asked.

"Like what?"

"Okay well, why did you just call me Holly?"

He was puzzled. "Because it's your name? How is this a better question than mine?" 

"Because literally NOBODY calls me Holly. I don't even know if other people even know my actual name. They all just call me Stormy," she said with an annoyed tone. He could tell she wasn't annoyed with him, but remembering all the people was ruffling her feathers.

"Well it's your name," he started cautiously, "it's a bit rude to not call someone by their name unless they say otherwise, right?"

Suddenly Holly slammed the table with her hand, startling Jeonghan and sending some of his coffee splattering. She pointed at him and widened her already big eyes as she shouted in the most indoor voice possible, "That's exactly what I've been saying!"

It was in that moment that Jeonghan could see Holly's walls coming down. Her expression softened, the way she spoke to him shifted in tone, and overall her enthusiasm seemed to brighten up.

---

Hours later, Jeonghan and Holly had left the coffee shop and wound up walking to a nearby park. In Shadow Pines, playgrounds were all but non-existent due to the danger of children slipping. In its stead, most of the parks were filled with benches fitted with a small plastic roof that made it look like a bus stop, and plenty of gazebos.

The two sat under a gazebo with a glass roof. All the arches and pillars were wrapped in shrubbery and vines, making the gazebo look like it was something out of a fairy tale.

Jeonghan was looking up fondly at the dark sky through the glass. Holly looked at him curiously and said, "You don't mind the rain, do you?" He looked at her as she continued, "Like this morning...you were running in the rain. Who actually does that?"

"It's not that I don't mind the rain..." he paused thoughtfully then flashed her a cheeky smile. "I actually love it. I know most people find the rain to be depressing but...I think there's something inherently romantic about it." Suddenly, Jeonghan stood up and began circling the inside of the gazebo, stretching his arms out wide. "I mean just look at this. The way the sun bleeds through the dark clouds, the way the rain showers the trees, everything about this is just...beautiful. The sky is so dark but everything is perfectly lit, it almost feels like I'm walking through one of those fake nuclear test towns from the 50s. Everything around us is...like a dream."

Just then he lifted her up by her hand and began pulling her outside the gazebo. She held herself back inside the shelter of the roof while Jeonghan still held her hand tightly as the rain began to pour all over him once again.

"Wait, let me get my umbrella! I'm gonna get wet!" she exclaimed.

He laughed full heartedly and loudly said, "Just come on out! Let me show you something!"

Begrudingly Holly finally stepped outside from under the glass room as the rain suddenly began to rush down on her. She quickly scampered closer to Jeonghan and shouted, "Now what?!"

With great big eyes, Jeonghan grabbed Holly by the side of her arms and roared excitedly, "Isn't this so cleansing? Refreshing?" 

"I mean I guess? But if I wanted a shower I could have just gone home you know."

Laughing yet again, Jeonghan shook his head. "Everytime I feel the rain hitting my face and the rest of my body, it reminds me that I'm alive. Ever since the accident, this rain has kept me sane! It saved me!"

Holly looked confused as she shouted, "What?"

But Jeonghan was already inside his own head and swept up in the moment. He ignored her words and just looked at her with a wide gaze of amazement. He slowly muttered, "You did this. This was all because of you. I don't know if you're really the reason the rain started but if you are...thank you."

She seemed as confused as ever, but that look didn't compare to moment right after, when Jeonghan suddenly took her in his arms and kissed her. 

They stood there held on a single kiss as the rain continued to drench all over them. Suddenly-- "Ow!" Jeonghan coiled back as he touched his bottom lip. Holly just bit him. "Did you just bite me?"

A look of shock was on Holly's face as well. Was it intentional? Did she get caught up in the moment just like Jeonghan or did she not like the kiss? She began slowly backing away and then quickly whirled around and began running off.

"I'm sorry! I thought I felt something!" Jeonghan shouted sadly. He looked up pensively at the sky. How foolish he felt, the first person he ever had the urge to kiss and to think it would turn out so--

Out of nowhere a hand grabbed a fistful of Jeonghan's wet hair and pulled it down as his lips were forcefully greeted by another. When they pulled away he saw that it was Holly. She seemed angry, but not a genuine sort of anger; moreso an underlying subtle element of mischievous glee. "Next time--ask first," she said firmly.

And like that, she turned around and took off again.